Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

elentar posted:

no way Adolph Rupp didn't help bury at least one body

His name was Robert Paulson Bryant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

CJ Frederick is in the portal and is going to wind up at Kentucky. Sucks real bad for Iowa who really needs to find size and shooting in the portal now somehow or we"re gonna be the worst team in the Big Ten. Big pick up for UK, one of the best shooters in the country.

Can't blame CJ for wanting to go home and play for what was probably a dream school but does seem like Kentucky was pretty much recruiting him while he wasn't in the portal yet which is kinda lovely, not that anything will come from it.

This has been rumored for a while but looks like it's actually happening. No idea about the contact part, but like others I wouldn't be surprised if it happens a lot. Seems like quite a few players seem to already have a destination in mind when the enter the portal.

Kentucky seems to be mentioned with just about every guard that enters the portal. They already got Kellen Grady from Davidson. They've already spoken with De'Vion Harmon and Mac McClung, were heavily involved with Justin Powell, and Marcus Carr and Adam Miller have both been mentioned as possibilities. Outside shooting and consistent point guard play is what they were missing last year, and they seems to be going to the portal to address that.

gvibes posted:

Is antigua going back to Kentucky as well? If he brings Curbelo with I am going to vomit.

There's rumblings about this too. A coaching spot would need to open up, and I don't foresee anyone getting fired, but Joel Justus or potentially Tony Barbee could be looking for head coaching jobs. I would love to have Antigua back.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Any ~insider info~ from the Kentucky end about why he didn't end up there? Or why he left Auburn in the first place -- it's been assumed that he just had a really lovely year with the concussion not only preventing him from playing but completely disrupting his life for weeks and going closer to home made sense but nobody's reported anything more specific.

Only thing I heard was he was waiting to see if the SEC was going to drop their intra-conference one year sit out period to align with the NCAA's rule before making a decision, and Kentucky got Grady in the meantime, so Powell went another direction (but still in conference, anyway). No idea if there was anything else behind the scenes. I know fans were excited to possibly get another kid from Kentucky on the roster, but looks like we might end up with that in Fredrick anyway.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

americanzero4128 posted:

Orlando Antigua to Kentucky seems all but official at this point. Hearing Chin Coleman is also on his way out, possibly (likely?) to Kentucky as well. Cool. Cool cool cool.

Jeff Goodman reporting Tony Barbee is the frontrunner for the Central Michigan job, which opens up the spot. From Kentucky side it doesn't sound certain Coleman will follow Antigua, so you may be good there.

I'm excited about Antigua coming back. He was probably the best recruiter in the early Cal years. Between him leaving and other schools going after one and dones, UK hasn't been to a final four since. Not saying correlation equals causation, but

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Tony Barbee is taking the Central Michigan job as expected. Joel Justus is taking an assistant coach job at Arizona St. So there are 2 jobs open at Kentucky. Antigua will be one, not sure on the other as it seems like Coleman will stay at Illinois. Barbee was not in one of the three assistant positions so they don't necessarily have to replace him at all.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Well this sucks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1385401777378545666

https://www.wkyt.com/2021/04/23/sources-uk-mens-basketball-player-terrence-clarke-dies-in-los-angeles/

Car crash leaving pre-draft workout. BJ Boston was reportedly in car behind him. Not many details yet.

RIP :(

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Nolan Hickman has decommitted from Kentucky. There are currently no point guards on the roster for next year.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky officially announced the hiring of Orlando Antigua and Chin Coleman today. Addition of CJ Fredrick was officially announced yesterday.

Still need a point guard.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Demanding 17 months severance after being fired in return for staying quiet about alleged recruiting violations is a pretty cut and dry definition of extortion. Enjoy the jailtime, Dino.

That said, if the allegations are true and happened when Gaudio was there, that means Louisville was committing recruiting violations while not only on probation for recruiting violations but also still under investigation for different recruiting violations that got the last coach and AD fired. I'm all for paying the players and/or NIL rights, but that doesn't mean I don't get a little bit of joy watching Louisville continuously shoot themselves in the foot.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I fully support Duke hiring a former player/coach with no prior head coaching experience on the sole grounds af being a Duke guy. Surely nothing will go wrong with that.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
SEC/Big 12 matchups announced. Kentucky plays at Kansas, and Rick Barnes goes back to Austin.

– Baylor at Alabama
– West Virginia at Arkansas
– Oklahoma at Auburn
– Oklahoma State at Florida
– Kentucky at Kansas
– LSU at TCU
– Kansas State at Ole Miss
– Mississippi State at Texas Tech
– Missouri at Iowa State
– Tennessee at Texas

UGA, SC, A&M, and Vandy are left out.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I read these posts and thought there's no way, Kentucky already has 12 players with Davion Mintz announcing his return today and is still recruiting Jalen Duren, there'd be no room, but...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/1410727417010819076

They can't get both unless someone on the team decides they're going to be a walk on next year.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Chief McHeath posted:

Duren is a potential reclassification. And doesn't Mintz not count towards the scholarship limit since he's a Covid senior?

So would Grady not count either? Let's go get a 15th guy and roll out 3 platoons.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Some interesting things coming out about Louisville and Chris Mack specifically in Dino Guadio's sentencing hearing for the extortion stuff a few months ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericcrawford/status/1425564384047288321

Not a good look for Mack and certainly will hurt on the recruiting trail.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://mobile.twitter.com/Bradley_B_Roll/status/1439422328618762247?ref_src=twsrc%5Etwitterkit

Five foot seven :aaaaa:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

vikingstrike posted:

Do you know if jeff and stacy sheppards son is going to uk

No idea. I hope he does. Legacy recruit, in-state kid, and highly ranked nationally. The latter is what's important to Cal, but the former means more to the fans. If he doesn't, our crazy fanbase might run Cal out of town for letting him get away.

The one challenge is I believe he plays the same position as Dejaun Wagner's kid, in the same class, who Cal is also going hard after. Watkins, in the video, is his step brother. But that's a Cal legacy, not a Kentucky legacy.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Nur_Neerg posted:

VT beats out Louisville for 4* CG Rodney Rice's commitment. Woo! Third highest rated commit of all time for the program, and also gently caress Louisville.

:hmmyes:

Speaking of, Louisville got an amendment to their NCAA violations for lack of institutional control on Chris Mack. Supposedly a ruling is coming in March. I'm not sure how much more a program on probation has to do to get absolutely hammered, but if there's no death penalty here, which I think is unlikely, I'm not sure it will ever be used again.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky is going to put Tubby Smith's name in the rafters of Rupp when High Point comes to play in Lexington on Dec 31. Very cool honor for him. I know some fans were happy he left, but the reaction seems mostly positive so far. I at least am happy for him.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

Not accusing anyone here of this but there has definitely been a sort eye roll inducing trend amongst a lot of UK fans to pretend that Tubby has always been a beloved figure and not a guy who was run out of town and generally treated pretty horribly for the bulk of his tenure. But I do hope he enjoys it and it's a cool honor for him

Oh he was most definitely run out of town, I hated it for him then, and I totally agree that some fans will conveniently forget that. Especially the ones that were most complicit. The big hit is he only had one Final Four, and that one was Pitino's players. People forget, and even forgot by the end of his tenure, how good the 2003 team was that ran into Dwyane Wade in the Elite 8, or that he was a double overtime loss to Michigan St. from another Final Four.

Part of the revisionist history is how hated Pitino has become among the UK fan base so they're more willing to give Tubby credit now.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
gently caress Duke.

This season long Coach K retirement slobberfest is already insufferable and the game is only just tipping off.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I hate losing to Duke. Showed some fight to cut a big lead late but just not enough to close it out. Missed too many shots especially in the first half, and Duke's freshman are drat good. Oscar Tshiebwe is a rebounding machine. Kentucky is a good but not great team right now, but they always seem to get better as the season goes on. I'll take a rematch in April.

Chief McHeath posted:

Also gently caress Duke.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky beat Robert Morris 100-60. Oscar Tshiebwe had his second 20 rebound game. 40 total on the year, 22 of those are offensive rebounds. Also two double-doubles in two games. That's pretty good.

Also, :lol:uisville

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I hope it's not too late to say :lol: gently caress Duke

It is never too late to say gently caress Duke

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Bird in a Blender posted:

Not sure why the benches are on the ends. Seems like more than enough space to be in the side. WTF is up with that?

They used to make the coaches stay by the bench areas, but they changed it a few years ago to have normal sideline coaching boxes. Made it nearly impossible to communicate when the play was at the opposite end of the court.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Chief McHeath posted:

Ohio State is out of their game against Kentucky and UCLA is expected to be out against North Carolina, so it looks like we're gonna get UK/UNC on Saturday.

I think I'd rather play UNC this year, honestly

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
UK-UNC officially on

https://mobile.twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/1471869274595594250?ref_src=twsrc%5Etwitterkit

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://mobile.twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/1472947823242973185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etwitterkit

Second scheduled game in a row off for UK.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky will play WKU Wednesday instead of Louisville, with game proceeds going toward tornado relief funds, which is nice.

They reached out to Gonzaga, Ohio St, and Texas but couldn't make anything work on short notice. They also reached out to Bellarmine, which would at least be a game against a school from the city of Louisville, but that didn't work out either.

I know a lot of the conferences have covid forfeit policies, so I'm guessing this scrambling for games that a lot of teams are doing will be less common in a few weeks.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://mobile.twitter.com/JaredBerson/status/1478050089872592900?ref_src=twsrc%5Etwitterkit

It's apparently been fixed, sadly. The voter should have just owned it for the week.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Former Kentucky coach Joe B. Hall passed away this morning. Won a title in 78, two other final fours in 75 and 84, and an NIT title in 76. He was a Kentucky native who played and coached under Rupp before taking over in the early 70s. He is by far the most universally loved former head coach, and was always around and involved with the program, at least as much as he could be in recent years.

RIP to a Kentucky legend.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Reports that Chris Mack is out at Louisville. They are so bad this year, and he really hasn't recruited all that well. Fans have been wanting this for a while.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

kiimo posted:

Kansas / Kentucky tomorrow

UK leads KU in the all time wins list by 4. It's the #1 line on The List

UK could be without 3 players, 2 of them key contributors. I'm not optimistic about tomorrow.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Cats handled the Gators, but big story is Tyty Washington going down with a leg injury. Not sure if it's knee or ankle but it didn't look good. This team has had terrible injury luck. So many sprained ankles already, now this.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://twitter.com/ajbrehm24/status/1493628829843304455?t=-JDEjkUq76OYOSEg3t1ccw&s=19

Proof that some of us are justified when we complain about officiating.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://highpointpanthers.com/news/2022/2/16/athletic-dept-tubby-smith-to-step-down-son-gg-smith-to-take-over-as-head-coach.aspx

Tubby Smith stepping down as head coach of High Point. His son GG will take over. From the article it says he contracted Covid a second time and has been away from the program for an extended time already.

So glad he got to come back to Rupp and be honored with his name in the rafters. I've always liked Tubby and still pulled for him after he left Kentucky. Wishing him the best in retirement.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Which one of you Arkansas fans is this?

https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1497732362100162564?t=vWO_Oqsg6wrWNGJOqTBBCg&s=19

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Duke is going to end up being #1 aren't they? :barf:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Joey Freshwater posted:

Actually good point, could this have happened pre-NIL?

Kentucky fans raised over $150k on go fund me for Chris Oats' family to buy an accessible van for getting him around to rehab and such before the NIL deals started. That might not count though since I'm not sure if he's officially enrolled in school or on the roster still.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
:lol: gently caress Duke :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Bellarmine wins the ASUN!

Also, presenting reason number 747583648 the NCAA is loving stupid.