Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

apparently the teams voted for how hero pools worked last year, which is really weird to me considering how dumb the system they ended up with was. this year's is much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's sad to hear about xzi, hope he can make a return after recovering

Fauxtool posted:

I wouldnt think IBM wants their branding on an AI that thinks boston is last and valiant in middle of the pack

presumably it's based off stats that currently exist for teams and that means it thinks boston sucks and valiant is pretty good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dallas is fully korean so while his hero pool does fit their needs, I just don't see them picking up logix. if they're willing to drop the cash for another owl player, surely there's a better fit

imagine how funny it'd be if they bought out happy's contract from houston

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dallas kinda threw that map rip

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

good first game. surprisingly close considering fuel doesn't even have a hitscan player. hell it would have been 3-1 for them if they hadn't thrown havana

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

missed most of the day and come in to see dallas up over glads? that's wild

also the people rating atlanta so highly didn't make any sense to me so florida beating them feels vindicating

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

glads' first week isn't a great look but we don't really know how the teams are stacking up yet. dallas could have had opening day nerves for their loss to houston; they could have easily won 3-1 if they hadn't thrown havana. if houston get flattened tomorrow and dallas keep the positive trajectory going forward, it'd look better for glads in the long run

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this game is wild, I can't believe how onesided this has been

if there has to be a blowout, an upset is the best way to do it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shock should have just had twilight play over violet today

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my preds were powerful this week

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I haven't seen valiant play yet but titans looked way better than the bottom tier teams of previous seasons. if they're the worst na has to offer, this'll be a good season

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jeff kaplan just left the ow team, that's surprising

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1384560209503432705

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

ITS 2021, YOU CAN'T PLAY GENJI IN A PRO OVERWATCH MATCH, PROFIT

apparently he can

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shy is nuts

it'd be so funny if spark won their first game after firing their coaches

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

spark kinda remind me of mayhem in that they're really good at double bubble but expect them to play rush and it's a little tragic

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

beating fuel proves justice is good, prob top 3 in na, but I still think they have something to prove come the tournament. fuel have looked better than you'd expect for a team with no hitscan player but their only wins were against glads and uprising, two teams that have really underperformed expectations. plus justice has had some wonky maps against bad teams

seems to me like fuel divides the top teams from the midtable, with the latter being tightly contested. like glads are the one team that really got owned by their schedule but I think they'd play defiant or mayhem pretty close if it came to a head to head

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

missed the games today but it seems like a bad sign for shock to be going to map 5 vs reign

and a worse sign for mayhem if they're getting rolled that hard by shock and losing maps to bad teams. it's lucky for defiant/mayhem that they play each other tomorrow since I don't see them beating the other teams

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kinda feeling the philly/seoul wins tonight. I could see chengdu winning but shanghai? idk man

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my preds are cursed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that defense from seoul was tragic on gibraltar

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're playing each other instead of the na teams first? that's kinda disappointing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they play justice next but idk that they'd win that either. maybe it'd be closer than vs shock tho. shock seems like a bad matchup for mayhem

mayhem seem like definitively the 5th best team in na but there seems like a gap between the top 3 and the other teams

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wow not only does shock get swept but the series ends in a c9

you can't even compare what shock is like right now to the start of last season

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm glad I was finally right about something and justice really was weaker than their record

lih posted:

eh shock at the start of last season lost their first two matches after doing weird stuff like sinatraa on mei & architect on ana

but yeah they look far more mortal this year obviously, which i think is certainly a good thing and makes things far more interesting than them just stomping everyone

the fact that they were doing poo poo like that is why I make the comparison. they look much weaker now than they did then

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm more worried about mayhem not showing up than I am fuel

wild how many upsets have happened today

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I kinda wish fuel played dragons first round so there was no chance for one of them to lose before meeting. fearless beating his old team would be a hell of a storyline

fate vs mayhem doesn't feel the same

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I thought shanghai's looked super shaky in the lead in to this but they had more time to prepare and didn't need to fly anywhere, so I just can't imagine mayhem being the favorite here

it'd be cool if mayhem proved me wrong tho. shanghai winning is like the only boring result of this tournament

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

unless the next game is wild, whoever loses this is going out first. whoever wins goes out second

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no matter who wins, dallas just looks head and shoulders above the rest

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shame I cursed the fuel because I was hoping to go to bed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that news is even more out of nowhere than the idea that an owl team might still care about pine

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

im37 went to contenders the whole time he wasn't in owl and he's not exactly on an amazing team atm

picking up pine sounds a lot like hunters signing baconjack even tho he hadn't played in 1-2 years

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lip has never had good ults, it was like this last year too. his neutral game is amazing tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

florida legit look like the best team that's played tonight. the yaki/oge synergy is nasty and yaki really seems like he takes last night's loss personally

I hope I don't curse them with this praise because the rematch with the dragons is looking like it'd be a sick game

e: gangnamjin has had a pretty quiet series tho. been first picked a lot

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 8, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

okay I definitely cursed them because lmao that second defense was a tragedy

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man I really did curse mayhem hard didn't I

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh more than dragons getting better, I kinda think mayhem got a bit screwed by the format on this. they'd prob have done better if this wasn't immediately following their last game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

for real I don't think dragons got better so much as fuel played much worse today, and mayhem had a big handicap going into this series. they got kinda boomed against hunters, had no time to mentally reset, and are prob more tired than the other teams both because of the back to back games and huge time zone difference they had to get used to between hawaii and florida. also keep in mind that the apac teams had more scrim time. fuel winning is a testament to how good they are in spite of the disadvantages they're been saddled with. they really deserve to win and I hope they do

plus side is that the mayhem's loss is my gain since it means my preds have been spot on this tournament

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be clear, I think dragons would still have been the favorites if they'd played tomorrow. a totally fair game simply isn't possible under the circumstances and dragons are the more consistent team, even if I think mayhem have shown a higher peak. but it does feel like playing the loser's final tonight robbed us of what could have been a close, exciting match. what we got instead is what might end up being the least interesting match of the playoffs and that's a shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well my perfect preds for the tournament are dead but on the plus side, a rocket isn't gonna fall on my head and kill me with them