Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I'm already reading rumors for a New England heavy run before MSG for NYE

Yeah I think logistically that just makes more sense if they can have kind of normal capacity in venues. I don’t think they want to sell tickets at $100 face and at half capacity they would probably have to do that. Or they can play Arkansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Im just excited to hear that 4.0 Doc even tho I am salty @ Paul bc I spent literally years saving up for a real languedoc and then he bumped up his prices to 18k for one guitar.

So I bought a pre Gibson Mesa Boogie instead and put the rest into savings but I digress. 4.0 Doc looks cool even tho Ocedoc will forever be my fav.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Im just excited to hear that 4.0 Doc even tho I am salty @ Paul bc I spent literally years saving up for a real languedoc and then he bumped up his prices to 18k for one guitar.

So I bought a pre Gibson Mesa Boogie instead and put the rest into savings but I digress. 4.0 Doc looks cool even tho Ocedoc will forever be my fav.

Which guitar was he playing at the beacon shows?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Depending on the show it was either Ocedoc, Koa 2, or blonde 2

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Depending on the show it was either Ocedoc, Koa 2, or blonde 2

Thanks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any goons have any luck with tickets?

quote:

PHISH, TUESDAY 07/22/1997

WALNUT CREEK

Raleigh, NC

Soundcheck: Limb By Limb (x3), Vultures, Water in the Sky, Saw It Again (first verse only)
SET 1: Runaway Jim -> My Soul, Water in the Sky, Stash, Bouncing Around the Room, Vultures, Bye Bye Foot, Taste
SET 2: Down with Disease[1] -> Mike's Song > Simple -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Hello My Baby
ENCORE: When the Circus Comes > Harry Hood

[1] Unfinished

This show fucks. Second set is incredible. That slow tease of Mike's before slowly speeding up to full tempo gets me every time.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Any goons have any luck with tickets?

Not luck, but I’d basically entirely forgotten that I had tickets to a couple shows in 2020 so getting the update about the tickets being valid for this tour was awesome.

quote:

This show fucks. Second set is incredible. That slow tease of Mike's before slowly speeding up to full tempo gets me every time.

Bookmarking this to listen to this weekend. That 2nd set list looks hot. Will report back

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Seconded. I always love to hear Vultures, and the Taste and Harry Hood from this show are both excellent. Never miss a North Carolina show.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I denied Phish for as long as I could. Friends and co-workers would chat them up as Phish fans tend to do, I'm sure (heck one of them plays League as Weekapaug Groove). My dad who's a major goober who has never been to a Phish show (and hasn't been to a jam show in twenty odd years) loves to talk about "THE GREAT GLOWSTICK WAR" at SPAC, our local big venue, that happens "at every Phish show, thousands NO MILLIONS of glowsticks flying through the air, it's crazy my friend told me about it!!". I made an earnest effort to expand my musical tastes in the last few years and knew it was only a matter of time before I worked my way through enough genres to arrive here

Per thread rec I listened to A Live One, appreciated it, tucked it away. I think about two weeks went by. Had major Friday vibes before a big work event so threw on a random live set from Spotify. Last week the same. Today, the same. Back on 12/31/91, pretty late in the show now and just bangin' my head a little bit to Mike's Song

can't believe I've missed dozens of area shows of this while complaining about how my area never gets good shows, gently caress

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Omnikin posted:

I denied Phish for as long as I could. Friends and co-workers would chat them up as Phish fans tend to do, I'm sure (heck one of them plays League as Weekapaug Groove). My dad who's a major goober who has never been to a Phish show (and hasn't been to a jam show in twenty odd years) loves to talk about "THE GREAT GLOWSTICK WAR" at SPAC, our local big venue, that happens "at every Phish show, thousands NO MILLIONS of glowsticks flying through the air, it's crazy my friend told me about it!!". I made an earnest effort to expand my musical tastes in the last few years and knew it was only a matter of time before I worked my way through enough genres to arrive here

Per thread rec I listened to A Live One, appreciated it, tucked it away. I think about two weeks went by. Had major Friday vibes before a big work event so threw on a random live set from Spotify. Last week the same. Today, the same. Back on 12/31/91, pretty late in the show now and just bangin' my head a little bit to Mike's Song

can't believe I've missed dozens of area shows of this while complaining about how my area never gets good shows, gently caress

SPAC’s a great shed. I love that place.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
SPAC's really nice! Now you've got me daydreaming about taking the day off work & spending a sunny day chillin' in the attached state park before wandering over for parking lot antics before a show. Sadly the last few shows I went to up there were infested with cops/troopers in the parking lot to shut down said antics.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Omnikin posted:

Hell yeah, what are your fav songs/shows so far???

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Looking back at my play history I think it was 7/4/10 that had me most locked in? if that makes sense. My 2-year old particularly liked Gotta' Jibboo, I have a video of him dancing hard to it. And it introduced me to Harpua, which is an absurdly fun idea of a jam/song to have a "and he was listening to the radio, and this song was on!" and then play Killing In The Name, which I did not expect from a band like this.

So yeah, Harpua is pretty cool and I've peeked at a few other versions of it (including 10/31/94 in Glens Falls, another venue in my backyard) but I think Chalkdust Torture is my fave right now. That opening riff is just clean and the energy starts flowing immediately

edit - and so of course I searched for "best Chalkdust Torture" and now I'm here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73iY2ET4u0

Thanks internet, thanks thread

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 21, 2021

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Welcome friend!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Went to a small town park today and saw two guys wearing phish gear. Wish I’d been wearing one of my shirts too :(

algebra testes posted:

Listened, so good. Very solid first set too, and agree with the Vultures love. And yeah the DWD -> Mikes was incredible.

One of my favorite and IMO underrated phish moments is the start of Simple jams from the 94-97 era in particular. Even just the first couple minutes while they’re basically sticking to the song, the groove has such a nice airy bounce. One of my favs:

https://youtu.be/-7t7t7yiUe0

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Looks like Mexico is back on the menu, boys!

https://www.phishrivieramaya.com/

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

ada shatan posted:

Looks like Mexico is back on the menu, boys!

https://www.phishrivieramaya.com/

It seems like the custy-iest thing ever but it seems people have a real good time down there.

At least us poor people will get a nice February couch tour

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Noise Machine posted:

It seems like the custy-iest thing ever but it seems people have a real good time down there.

At least us poor people will get a nice February couch tour

Yeah, those prices are insane, but wouldn't it be great to go?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FS: my semi- healthy organs

ISO: Phish Mexico tix

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So, these new bands. I kinda liked Brothers Past, but every song was like a 10 minute jam and each song blurred into each other song and so I get it was a bit too much.

Goose I sorta get but also no really sure how they're so popular.

I think my issue with modern jam bands is 20 minute jams are great, transitions between songs are great. But too much of the same thing can be a bit too much? Phish at least doesn't super jam every song every night out, some nights are actually jam free (the bad nights). The Dead still had first sets, and as much as I loved a Playing In the Band -> Uncle Johns Band -> Playing In The Band sandwich that wasn't like, every show every night.

Anyway, I feel like those dead heads locked up for selling LSD - Who's popular now?

I will be shamed to admit that I don't mind a bit of Widespread Panic, even if to my ears they fall afoul of every song being same tempo same key but maybe I'm wrong. Phish's dogged insistence of half-assed playing every style known to man at least breaks it up a little.

algebra testes posted:

PHISH, SUNDAY 08/12/2018

MERRIWEATHER

Columbia, MD

SET 1: Llama, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Meat, Alaska, Tweezer -> Bathtub Gin > The Curtain With > Chalk Dust Torture

SET 2: Tweezer Reprise > No Men In No Man's Land > Twist > Prince Caspian > Piper > Backwards Down the Number Line > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Harry Hood

ENCORE: Heavy Things, Bug > Tweezer Reprise

Just listened to this first set. Holy poo poo.

Another great 2018 show, listened again. Great poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I went to a god street wine show once. Not so hot.

Most jam bands suck, that’s the big problem. One out of 10 umfrees McGee (who aren’t very new anymore) songs is pretty good, and they’re talented musicians, but 9 out of 10 make me want to listen to anything but umfrees mcgee. And they’re kind of the best 3rd/4th wave jam band. For even newer stuff there’s bands like Pigeons Playing Ping Pong who are inexplicably popular. Absolutely unlistenable. JRAD is good though, if they count.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Twiddle and Eggy are both fantastic out of the new scene, and so is Billy Strings if you count jamgrass

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Another great 2018 show, listened again. Great poo poo.

Sunday shows at Merriweather always bring it.

Saturday is the party night which is fun, but Sunday is for the heads.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The jam scene at large doesn't really do anything for me. Had fun at Moe, Umphrey's, Strangefolk, and STS9 shows when I was a kid, but the music was kind of secondary to the fun.

I don't really see much in common musically btw Phish and most other bands in the jam scene. I guess maybe more like Flecktones & MMW, but the reason I enjoy Phish has very little to do with anything I'm going to get out of WSP or Umph.

This is why I enjoy Phish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MGWHZC0xHU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Phish is the best American prog rock band, which isn’t a high bar to clear.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Calling Phish a prog rock band lmao

Edit: Prog is definitely an ingredient in the Phish soup but to call them a prog rock band is like calling the Grateful Dead a blues band. They may have started like that but they went far beyond that.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 24, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Calling Phish a prog rock band lmao

Edit: Prog is definitely an ingredient in the Phish soup but to call them a prog rock band is like calling the Grateful Dead a blues band. They may have started like that but they went far beyond that.

Yeah but the rest of it is pretty lame

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Yeah but the rest of it is pretty lame

Fly away troll

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if youre gonna post bait at least make it interesting

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Primus got called a Prog Band so I can see why Phish get called that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Phish’s good music is their proggier songs, and there are a lot of them and they keep writing them, and they write pretty nice ballads. They write good little songs, like Halfway to the Moon.

Every once in a while a jam goes somewhere interesting, but it’s rare and that’s not just a 3.0 phenomenon. They are very talented at ensemble improvisation, they just rarely do anything that interesting with it. Sometimes they do! But not often. But I will be psyched to see a Strange Design or
lifeboy or Time Turns Elastic or Mercury at the next show I go to. Even Petrichor, though I don’t think that’s a great song. I’d rather see that than a paint by numbers 10 minute antelope.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I miss The Slip

and Petrichor reminds me of the quieter passages of early Genesis

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Every once in a while a jam goes somewhere interesting, but it’s rare and that’s not just a 3.0 phenomenon.

we said try BETTER bait

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Phish’s good music is their proggier songs, and there are a lot of them and they keep writing them, and they write pretty nice ballads. They write good little songs, like Halfway to the Moon.

Every once in a while a jam goes somewhere interesting, but it’s rare and that’s not just a 3.0 phenomenon. They are very talented at ensemble improvisation, they just rarely do anything that interesting with it. Sometimes they do! But not often. But I will be psyched to see a Strange Design or
lifeboy or Time Turns Elastic or Mercury at the next show I go to. Even Petrichor, though I don’t think that’s a great song. I’d rather see that than a paint by numbers 10 minute antelope.

Bookmarking this post, you better watch your back in QCS motherfucker

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I will agree that Phish has kinda mailed in Antelope since reuniting. Listen to a ‘98 version compared to what we get now.

I also enjoy anytime I get a Slave to the Traffic Light.

No idea wtf Petrichor is

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ungratek posted:

I will agree that Phish has kinda mailed in Antelope since reuniting. Listen to a ‘98 version compared to what we get now.

I also enjoy anytime I get a Slave to the Traffic Light.

No idea wtf Petrichor is

The intro section before the singing starts is really cool. Then it kinda flames out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMTa1yeSyw

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Bookmarking this post, you better watch your back in QCS motherfucker

Well excuse me for liking Phish the right way. Going to write Billy Breathes in my diary 100 times so they play it the next time I go. See you when I’m done.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Well excuse me for liking Phish the right way. Going to write Billy Breathes in my diary 100 times so they play it the next time I go. See you when I’m done.

Man I’m all in on some Billy and Lifeboy. But then you bring TTE and Petrichor into the conversation? NO - I won’t be trolled!

The Billy from Amsterdam 97 is soooo good

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
TTE is flawless. Might be the best song of 3.0.

I think Halfway to the Moon is a great little song too. And there’s a Mike song on Fuego that’s nice. I can’t think of the name now

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I guess if you like the long proggy/classical songs, you like the ballads, you like the little songs, then what's left not to like? I feel like that covers 90% of Phish songs. Please answer carefully, ideally without any reference to 3.0 songs :smugbird:

Here's my favorite little song of theirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFklxPjuv4