Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Phish are a jam band from Vermont.

Phish is a rock-oriented jam band, formed in Burlington, VT in 1983. They have been active from 1983-2000, from 2003-2004, and from 2009 to the present. They're one of the biggest touring acts in the United States and are probably the biggest cult band ever. They're known for their musicality, and have been sloganed as "The Greatful Dead 2.0", though their musical stylings are quite different, incorporating elements from a plethora of genres, including jazz, blues, Latin, reggae, and bluegrass. Their following is apt to study them closely and pick out patterns wherever they can be found, in sets, in songs, in jams. Each band member has 15 nicknames.

They are:
Ernest Joseph "Trey" Anastasio III, guitarist and vocalist,
Jon Fishman, drummer and vocalist,
Mike Gordon, bassist and vocalist, and
Page Samuel McConnell, keyboardist and vocalist.

:bravo2: I haven't heard of their exploits since 1997, what's changed? :bravo2:
After a bit of a meltdown following their iconic 12/31/1999 show at the Big Cypress Seminole Reservation coupled with the band's (mostly Trey's) drug problems, they took a hiatus from mid-2000 to New Year's Eve 2002. Because the premises were that it wasn't permanent, no one's drug problem got any better, so they announced a "permanent" breakup, to take place after their last festival in Coventry, which was a mess. Trey eventually got clean (admittedly, after hitting rock bottom after a DWI) and the band reunited in 2009, and have been doing great since, releasing three new albums, currently working on a fourth. People continue to complain, don't worry.

:kingsley: Actually, I'm new and would like to begin devoting my entire waking life to this band now, where do I start? :kingsley:

A Live One. It's where many phans started, and for good reason.

For studio albums, I've always rated Billy Breathes. I think Lawnboy, Picture of Nectar are very good and include some "deep Phish lore", Farmhouse and Story of The Ghost are also good and contain a lot of tracks that are important.

Then, the festivals and NYE shows are a good place to get a feel of shows, songs, and their respective structures and patterns, and the shows are usually top-notch. They've had a few festivals over the years, which are sort of like prolonged musical orgasms that take place over two or three days. The last one was called Magnaball, and you can listen to the first show here.

What New Bits of Phish Lore do I need to know about.

They got sick of the Halloween Album Thing, and did an instrumental album based off a Disney sound effects album it loving ruled. Not as much as 2018 where they created a fake band called Kasvot Växt oh my god it loving ruled. They did 13 nights at MSG, each night with a separate theme called "Baker's Dozen". They did a show based off the initials of gently caress Your Face in 2012 and finished the show with that song. They did a show based off the initials of Lushington and didn't and finished with Ha Ha Ha instead. Tweezerfest 2014. Tahoe Tweezer 2013.

:siren: USEFUL LINKS AND RESOURCES :siren:
http://phish.com ***OFFICIAL***
http://phish.net
http://reddit.com/r/phish
http://phish.in (Stream 99.9% of Phish shows!)
https://phishspreadsheet.com/ (Download 99.9% of shows in AUD format!)

I really like The Grateful Dead how do I get into Phish?

It took me 18 years to really "Get Phish". Being a Grateful Dead fan is actually a giant hinderance I feel because you look for the same things out of Phish as you do the Dead you'll be disappointed. You have to be here for the long composed sections with the psychedelic, bizarre lyrics that often don't seem to make much sense or if they do they are about your double pulling you under the ice, or a tyrant in a fictional world named Wilson. If you're here for the jams, you might be disappointed because they're not just about the jams.

They're getting old, and not as good as they used to be.
They're not on fire like it's 1995, but they have been really consistent in being able to have really good nights as well. I think they took a while to get going after 2009 so if you saw them in '12 '13 give them another go they've rediscovered themselves. 2015 was fire, and 2017/18 was extremely good too. They're getting older, but they're clean from drugs so more clear headed than they were 2000-2004. The worst complaint I can levy is they do have off nights, and sometimes they forcibly "ripcord" out of jams as they get going, or harshly transition but they are minor complaints. Like the Dead in the 80s and 90s, they are more efficient jammers than they were 20 years ago.

What tour are you digging right now?
Fall 1997 Phish Destroys America.

They touring this year

Yep.

Dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYyQxfWmdQ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ungratek posted:

Either Summer 94 (machine gun Trey) or Fall 97 (just a slew of great arena shows, including 11/17 and 12/6 legendary shows)

I’m probably a bigger fan of reunited Phish than most, but they rarely string a whole tour together like they did pre breakup

They have issued a lot of Fall 97 but there is still so much gold there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Shouldn’t this thread be called phish 4.0? Isn’t that what theyre calling post Covid phish?

But its the second Phish thread was the joke I was going for but yeah probably.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He always inspires me when he talks about music, he's passionate about it.

Also i'm activated to such a degree now i'm searching out recordings of My Mind's Got a Mind of It's Own.

I've also decided that Fast Enough For You is still one of my favorite tunes.

Also my youtube reqs showed me this, i'm sure y'all over it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBJBAFcmSY

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 16, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I did read This Has All Been Wonderful: A Travel Monologue From Summer 1994: The Year Phish Became Phish last year and that was quite pleasant.

Especially the part where he gets pulled into the tour bus and berated for rolling his eyes at the song choice during a show.

It's mostly fascinating due to like, that ever ending question: who are these people that go to all these shows? And in his case, a grad student who drove show to show selling cans of soft drink so he could make the next one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One of my favorite stories is when the Dead got really hot on the back of Touch of Grey (apparently ruining the scene), even playing at massive football stadiums, people would just rock up and sit out side the venue and party in the lot and generally cause problems so they kept telling people to only turn up if they had a ticket to the show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PHISH, TUESDAY 09/14/1999
BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY PAVILION
Boise, ID
SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, The Sloth, The Curtain > Waste, Loving Cup > What's the Use?, Wading in the Velvet Sea > Farmhouse, Nellie Kane, Taste, Rocky Top

SET 2: Peaches en Regalia > AC/DC Bag[1] > Gumbo, Down with Disease > Frankenstein[2]

ENCORE: Simple, Hello My Baby

[1] Trey on keys and Fish on vacuum for part of the jam.
[2] Fish on vacuum

Peaches was played for the first time since February 28, 1997 (162 shows). This long AC/DC Bag featured Trey on keys and Fish on vacuum for part of the jam. Gumbo included an Another One Bites the Dust jam. Fish again grabbed the vacuum for Frankenstein and quoted One of These Days (Pink Floyd). This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.
PHISH, SUNDAY 09/12/1999

Just listened to this, solid recommendation. 25 minute Bag. The Sloth, Curtain, Loving Cup, Taste and Rocky Top big props. The only bummer is i've never been a Velvet Sea fan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PHISH, SATURDAY 09/18/1999

COORS AMPHITHEATRE

Chula Vista, CA

Soundcheck: Heavy Things, Meatstick
SET 1: Tweezer, Roses Are Free > Wilson > Maze, Brian and Robert, Tube > Rocky Top

SET 2: Boogie On Reggae Woman, Meatstick > Free > Bouncing Around the Room, Harry Hood > Frankenstein > Cavern

ENCORE: Contact > Tweezer Reprise

Trey's voice is extremely worn out. 15 min Tweezer to start, Wilson, Tube (one of my fave songs). 2nd set 20 minute space Boogie On, Meatstick pre-Japanese Lyrics (did they literally learn that Japan 2000 tour?). Contact is another fave of mine and its a bit flubby. Ending with Tweezer reprise, can you get any better?

People love this show, I merely liked it a lot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Listening to 8/9/98 encore on full blast on headphones ftw

The crowd eruption gives me such joy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me listening to Phish Destroys America: hmm not so sure about these new songs.

Me, now: Dogs stole. Things I needed bad. Cats took. What I never had.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was super into Primus and Les Claypool as a kid, so I ordered the Fearless Flying Frog Brigade Set 1 and his other sideproject, Oysterhead.

To the uninitiated the sheer volume of whale calls blew my mind on that Oysterhead Album. I also wasn't a hip kid but I was like "they sound like they on drugs." Which was, sadly right.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PHISH, SUNDAY 08/12/2018

MERRIWEATHER

Columbia, MD

SET 1: Llama, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Meat, Alaska, Tweezer -> Bathtub Gin > The Curtain With > Chalk Dust Torture

SET 2: Tweezer Reprise > No Men In No Man's Land > Twist > Prince Caspian > Piper > Backwards Down the Number Line > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Harry Hood

ENCORE: Heavy Things, Bug > Tweezer Reprise

Just listened to this first set. Holy poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Oysterhead was really pretty good and I would like to see them in concert some day. It’s probably the best Les Claypool side project, although I really liked his band with Bernie Worrell and Buckethead.

I mean they have a terrible record for touring coinciding with colossal American Tragedy but yeah would love to see them.

The other great Oysterhead quote, well there are two one is Trey going "what should we call the band" and Les going "Oysterfoot."

"Why Oysterfoot?"

"You know, like Oysterhead."

"Les why don't we just call the band Oysterhead".

And Les apparently saying Tim Alexander's drumming used to annoy him because of some of the ways he played until he played with Copeland and Copeland played the same but even more so.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any goons have any luck with tickets?

quote:

PHISH, TUESDAY 07/22/1997

WALNUT CREEK

Raleigh, NC

Soundcheck: Limb By Limb (x3), Vultures, Water in the Sky, Saw It Again (first verse only)
SET 1: Runaway Jim -> My Soul, Water in the Sky, Stash, Bouncing Around the Room, Vultures, Bye Bye Foot, Taste
SET 2: Down with Disease[1] -> Mike's Song > Simple -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Hello My Baby
ENCORE: When the Circus Comes > Harry Hood

[1] Unfinished

This show fucks. Second set is incredible. That slow tease of Mike's before slowly speeding up to full tempo gets me every time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So, these new bands. I kinda liked Brothers Past, but every song was like a 10 minute jam and each song blurred into each other song and so I get it was a bit too much.

Goose I sorta get but also no really sure how they're so popular.

I think my issue with modern jam bands is 20 minute jams are great, transitions between songs are great. But too much of the same thing can be a bit too much? Phish at least doesn't super jam every song every night out, some nights are actually jam free (the bad nights). The Dead still had first sets, and as much as I loved a Playing In the Band -> Uncle Johns Band -> Playing In The Band sandwich that wasn't like, every show every night.

Anyway, I feel like those dead heads locked up for selling LSD - Who's popular now?

I will be shamed to admit that I don't mind a bit of Widespread Panic, even if to my ears they fall afoul of every song being same tempo same key but maybe I'm wrong. Phish's dogged insistence of half-assed playing every style known to man at least breaks it up a little.

algebra testes posted:

PHISH, SUNDAY 08/12/2018

MERRIWEATHER

Columbia, MD

SET 1: Llama, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Meat, Alaska, Tweezer -> Bathtub Gin > The Curtain With > Chalk Dust Torture

SET 2: Tweezer Reprise > No Men In No Man's Land > Twist > Prince Caspian > Piper > Backwards Down the Number Line > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Harry Hood

ENCORE: Heavy Things, Bug > Tweezer Reprise

Just listened to this first set. Holy poo poo.

Another great 2018 show, listened again. Great poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Primus got called a Prog Band so I can see why Phish get called that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1OwYNCpsu8

This has always been a favorite of mine, from when I heard , Dayton 97. No matter how many years has passed since I still really love this song.

Another classic is Tube from the Island Tour, always a classic in my mind.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Great show: Gin opener is the standout, perhaps my favorite Gin ever. Buried Alive also gets jammed out which is a treat. Love that summer 98 sound

Getting from the spreadsheet as we speak.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/phish/status/1417173551279480836?s=19

Couch tour time, gang!

Just ordered: Alabama and Alpharetta 1. :catdrugs:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 20, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How was it?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

loving hard core dick in the rear end butterball jam band gently caress it chuck it party time poo poo. Phish is back baby.

New thread title, mods?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cIubmoss/status/1420745365377060870?s=19

Lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God I'm vibing already feels good man.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

God I'm vibing already feels good man.

Double posting to say this Carini has transported me, hungover, to another dimension and I'm levitating out of my body.

PHISH, FRIDAY 07/30/2021
OAK MOUNTAIN AMPHITHEATRE
Pelham, AL
Soundcheck: My Soul, Foam, Evening Song, Thread

SET 1: The Moma Dance > Sigma Oasis, Back on the Train, Dirt, The Final Hurrah, Funky Bitch, Ghost, Driver, The Wedge, Walls of the Cave

SET 2: Evening Song, Carini > Martian Monster, Golden Age > Mountains in the Mist > Blaze On, Harry Hood

ENCORE: Yarmouth Road, Gumbo > Character Zero

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 31, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sure, 26 minute chalk dust > steam>Caspian

Edit apparently 42 minutes: chalkdust > Steam > Caspian :catdrugs:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 1, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOpqX0_mgnA

It was the set opener so it's just on youtube.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm at work. I feel this deeply.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm at work seeing people melt down on twitter hell yeah.

BigFactory posted:

The posters are cool

I want.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Never cared for Sparkle but it's old so I guess there is nostalgia now.

Also not a fan of NICU for some reason.

Kvlt! posted:

Limb by Limb sucks

What.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I missed Halley's Comet! :negative:

Edit: and its Ice

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 4, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so hyped seeing people enjoy Phish. The positivity is really great.

Last thread we talked about how boring they were and how Brothers Past were the new thing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I searched the Archives and I have discovered the terrible truth that this is Phish Thread 3.0.

I named the 3rd Phish thread Phish 2.0. :negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Agree

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamnit, gotta resist the urge to just buy this show too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me this morning: Friday night at Deer Creek? Got better things to do with my saturday.

Phish: Here's a 20+ minute blaze on. you snooze. you lose.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Noise Machine posted:

We should have a collective Livestream party one night this tour

I'm in Australia, so Sunday shows are really kinda out for me, but I'd propose Friday or Saturday Gorge later in the month? If people want to livestream a Sunday show then i'm not going to get in the way though :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Noise Machine posted:

I got in halfway thru Set 2 but OH MY loving GOD THIS SIMPLE

I snoozed
and I losed(?)

I knew I should have couch toured this show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ada shatan posted:

Same. Gonna listen to tonight's show tomorrow and then watch Saturday and Sunday. Not sure why I didn't just buy the whole tour's streams.

:same:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF2j2UPLlA8

Simple video up.

The band ends up in G during the jam and Trey brings the tune back in in G instead of F, and if you think the band struggles with the harmonies these days in F...

The band owns so much, Page and Trey laughing at the keychange warms my heart.

Noise Machine posted:

Welp, ok, that's it. WTU sandwich with some Crosseyed and Painless middle?

Sweet JESUS, I didn't know I wanted such a thing

gently caress yes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Noise Machine posted:

The Curtain! Let's hope it's With.

Never miss a sunday livestream

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes