Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Favorite tours?

I'm partial to Summer 97 in Europe. Something special about hearing them start to perfect the phunk at all these tiny clubs, the vibe at those shows must have been absolutely incredible. One of my highlights is the 7/9/97 YEM that features the Flecktones, in particular Trey's solo with the jazzy clean tone

The Amsterdam show where they get beyond blazed and gently caress up a lot is one of my all time favs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Trey introduced his new languedoc as the "4.0 doc" so yes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Ripcord trey ftw

DELETE THIS NEPHEW

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

https://youtu.be/YzpkJGxz38M

Its kinda surprising how...uninformed he is about amps tbh. He says "old new stock" and talks about the tonal qualities of solid gold pots? Like Trey what the gently caress are you talking about lmao. Theres a million weird things in that video. "I like American resistors", what?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

He writes some good songs and he can shred but he’s kind of a dummy.

Yeah hes definitely a guitar hero of mine like I adore Trey but he definitely talks above the level he thinks sometimes

Mike is the opposite. I feel like Mike knows the ancient secrets of the universe but just sits there back straight as an arrow droppin bass bombs. I mean seriously. The man's posture is immaculate.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Holly Bowling also has her own jam band called Ghost Light who put on one hell of a show. She's wicked talented.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

He should use the synths more

For real, that Viola Blue album kicked rear end

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I did read This Has All Been Wonderful: A Travel Monologue From Summer 1994: The Year Phish Became Phish last year and that was quite pleasant.

Especially the part where he gets pulled into the tour bus and berated for rolling his eyes at the song choice during a show.

It's mostly fascinating due to like, that ever ending question: who are these people that go to all these shows? And in his case, a grad student who drove show to show selling cans of soft drink so he could make the next one.

Yeah I try to hit every show on tour and you just sell poo poo on lot. Flipping enamel pins has paid for many a Phish show.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah thats why I always did the pins but honestly bless you bc Ive subsisted on many a heady lot grilled cheese.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

3420N0DEALZ

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I want to hang out in a lot now.

Same. One of my all time favorite memories is my Dad taking me to my first concert as a kid (Furthur) and me asking "why are we getting there so early?" and he's like "to hang out in the parking lot!" and I had no idea what he meant until we got there and we just had a blast walking around lot and looking at all the stuff for sale and people dancing and cooking and having a blast. It's such a special and unique part of Phish and jam band culture.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It sucks that for high-gain Trey we only have the 2003 (I believe?) era where he briefly used a Marshall and...Oysterhead, where he decides to team up with the most insufferable bassist in the scene.

Les is a weird dude because Electric Apricot is a spot on pastiche from a dude who clearly knows and loves the jam scene but man his music to me is nails on a chalkboard.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how did Arkansas get a date and the Northeast got nothing

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Im just excited to hear that 4.0 Doc even tho I am salty @ Paul bc I spent literally years saving up for a real languedoc and then he bumped up his prices to 18k for one guitar.

So I bought a pre Gibson Mesa Boogie instead and put the rest into savings but I digress. 4.0 Doc looks cool even tho Ocedoc will forever be my fav.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Depending on the show it was either Ocedoc, Koa 2, or blonde 2

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FS: my semi- healthy organs

ISO: Phish Mexico tix

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Twiddle and Eggy are both fantastic out of the new scene, and so is Billy Strings if you count jamgrass

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Calling Phish a prog rock band lmao

Edit: Prog is definitely an ingredient in the Phish soup but to call them a prog rock band is like calling the Grateful Dead a blues band. They may have started like that but they went far beyond that.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 24, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if youre gonna post bait at least make it interesting

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Every once in a while a jam goes somewhere interesting, but it’s rare and that’s not just a 3.0 phenomenon.

we said try BETTER bait

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I like Phish a lot, so yeah. It doesn’t cover the straight ahead rockers, the chalk dust/tweezer/frees, which I also like. But I’d take a tight free over a sloppy jammed out tweezer most of the time. There are exceptions. Also missing are cover songs which are a mixed bag but generally fun.

I think most of the time the jams are boring if you don’t have lights to watch. With lights they’re better. I also don’t think they do country/bluegrass songs very well. Stuff like Rocky Top always sound like novelty songs to me. Same with reggae-ish songs, probably even worse. NICU has a little reggae beat and that’s a good song, but it’s subtle and sounds more like a Phish song with a reggae beat than Phish trying to play reggae. I ALSO don’t think they’ve ever been particularly funky (although I just listened to a Sneakin Sally that was good, and kind of funky). Moma dance is a head to the bathroom song for me.

In short, Phish is a band of contrasts.

You dont like anything but a few studio songs but you like Phish a lot?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That wasnt me

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I been listening to some 2016 shows and Trey with the Marshall JTM reissue is some amazing tone. Those KT66s pair well with Phish.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gently caress yeah, welcome to the fam!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Farmhouse rules

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

clearly meatstick is their best lyrically

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Limb by Limb sucks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How the gently caress does anyone think Lawn Boy sucks did you listen to the BD Lawn Boy, even the studio version is so relaxing it unwinds my DNA

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

To be fair Limb by Limb is the only Phish song I dont like pretty much. LbL, Birds of a Feather, and No Man in No Mans Land are the only songs in the entire catalogue I don't care for. Everything else I love dearly.

If anyone has recs for more Lawn Boy type music Id be all for it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Noise Machine posted:

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but you don't like Birds of a Feather?

We truly are different people.

Yeah Im not trying to be obnoxious or contrarian, I just genuinely don't like those 3 songs. They've always struck me as kinda uninspired and generic jam-band-ey. Which is strange because I love literally every other 1.0 song and even some of the hippie dippie wook stuff like Blaze On and Everythings right.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ive always loved Sugar Shack if that counts as a deep cut

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think Trey called the new doc the "4.0 Doc", we're officially in 4.0

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Noise Machine posted:

We should have a collective Livestream party one night this tour

count me in that sounds fun

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Carini opener with a face-melting Wolfmans Jam to open the show tonight, good to be a Phish fan!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Mike solo during Lawn Boy is one of my all time fav sections of Phish music. Never dissapoints

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how does Page keep upping his shirt game continiously

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Keep hearing rumors abound that the rest of the tour is being cancelled due to covid, anyone hear anything from the band or is this all just shakedown-chatter?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

another soaking wet Fenway survivor here. Show was pretty good but drat that rain got my favorite Phish hat soaked :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rumor is that Trey's shirt is straight from Page's closet tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone know where I can watch the new rig rundown from last night? Missed the show