Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Someone mentioned that there used to be a YOSPOS BBS in the Telehack thread recently, and I think it's a pretty cool idea. I've been on a few BBSes before, and considered setting my own up, but that'd be a huge pain in the rear end of renting a VPS to run it off while having no income, and then finding someone to do all the art for it (because gently caress trying to do that myself, I'm bad enough at regular art).

So, I guess I'm making this thread to draw attention to it, maybe someone else'll feel like setting one up, maybe I'll manage to get around to setting one up, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ill make the wiki

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ill edit a couple pages on the wiki

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
ill think about reading the wiki

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I'll post the thread for it

edit:efb

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LOL I forgot about this.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Hed posted:

LOL I forgot about this.

i was torn between keeping my title because i deserved it and restoring this one but here we are

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
jonny290 historically hosted the YOSBBSs of the past (and big thanks to you jonny, YOSBBS really helped me through one of the shittier jobs of my life)

but synchronet is free software so really anyone could do one up

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'll deface the wiki

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
ill read the thread and vote 2

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
voted 2

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’ll feed the chickens

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'll pay for a small digitalocean VPS for a couple of months if you're okay with me retaining root on it (i'll help as I can but will let you drive the project)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll pay for a small digitalocean VPS for a couple of months if you're okay with me retaining root on it (i'll help as I can but will let you drive the project)

sounds good to me
never tried running one of these before so it should be a nice learning experience

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cool. lets start with the little single core instance, i run a whole rear end web server on one. I'll PM you after i have some time to set it up.

also be aware of https://enigma-bbs.github.io/ - modern code old idea

our big challenge will be getting the bbs games working, from my previous experience. dosbox fuckery will be involved

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i'll start pointless edit wars on the wiki

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

cool. lets start with the little single core instance, i run a whole rear end web server on one. I'll PM you after i have some time to set it up.

also be aware of https://enigma-bbs.github.io/ - modern code old idea

our big challenge will be getting the bbs games working, from my previous experience. dosbox fuckery will be involved

enigma looks pretty good, seems like it has more customization than synchronet too

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

jony ive aces posted:

i'll start pointless edit wars on the wiki

i'm already upset about this and am quitting the project

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

gently caress SNEEP posted:

i'm already upset about this and am quitting the project

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

while i wait for jonny to get the VPS set up im gonna try out a test board on SDF to get the hang of the config and all that poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

why’d you change your av to gentle autists exact same av

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

a clever advertising coup by gentle autist, only $10 to put his own brand on new up-and-coming posters.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

i didn't, someone else did
the funny thing is i changed my av while i was probed, and then while i was still probed, someone else changed it to this
so someone must've been spam-refreshing my profile to see when i spent money on changing my poo poo back to normal solely so they could drop another 10 bucks on this, as since i was probed they wouldnt have been able to see unless they were looking at my profile directly
lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag posted:

the funny thing is i changed my av while i was probed, and then while i was still probed, someone else changed it to this
so someone must've been spam-refreshing my profile to see when i spent money on changing my poo poo back to normal solely so they could drop another 10 bucks on this, as since i was probed they wouldnt have been able to see unless they were looking at my profile directly
lmao

would you like $10 to change it back?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

would you like $10 to change it back?

i am incredibly broke so im probably just gonna stick with this one or ask a mod nicely idk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag posted:

i am incredibly broke so im probably just gonna stick with this one or ask a mod nicely idk

good because i wasn’t actually going to buy you an av

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
SDF is a good public UNIX service

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the vps is up. once hbag sends me an ssh pubkey i will turn them loose on it after snapshotting a pre-chaos image

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hbag posted:

lmao

drat, what did you do to piss someone off that much lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

drat, what did you do to piss someone off that much lol

i simply posted too good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he'll yeah

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
last time I connected to the yosbbs I used a literal 286, but I had to throw all my old poo poo away when I moved. what's the best terminal these days?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

SmokaDustbowl posted:

last time I connected to the yosbbs I used a literal 286, but I had to throw all my old poo poo away when I moved. what's the best terminal these days?

syncterm and netrunner are pretty good terminals

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

game recognise game

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i turned off avatars forever ago if ppl start a bunch of name changes im hosed

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

browsing without avatars is pro, especially in awful.app

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

browsing without avatars is pro, especially in awful.app

smdh

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well ive never hosed around with running a BBS before and i have no idea how the art manages to integrate with the menus but i guess ill figure that out once i get to setting poo poo up
may even try and make some art (i remember seeing some kind of art tool on another board i was on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

code:
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQGGSGGQQQQQSGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGQQQQ@#######88888888888#########88##QpGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSQQ#####b9GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG3@#pSGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGQ@##b9GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG8#QGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGQ@##bGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#NSGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGQQ##bGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS#pGGG8@#GGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGQQ@#bGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSGGGGGG@#pGGG@#bSGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGQQ###bGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS@######QGGG$@QGGG8@QGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGQQ@####GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG77GGGG@#NGGG@#pSGGGGGGGG
GGGQ@##b@#bGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#pGGG@#SSGGGGGGG
GQ@##bGS@#GGGGGGGGGGGGGSQ####GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS@QQGGGGGGG8#QGGG8@QGGGGGGGG
@##GGGG@#bGGGGGGQpGGGG@##GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#"@#bGGGGGG@#bGGG8@#pGGGGGG
#bGGGG$@#GGGGGG@#bGGGG9CGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG8####GGGGGGG3@QGGGGG8##pGGGG
GGGGGGG@#GGGGGG8#bGGGGGGGGZ####pGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#bGGGGGG8##SGG
GGGGGGG@#GGGGGG8@bGGGGGGGG@#Q@@#bGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG8@QQQQQQQQ##bSG
GGGGGG$@#GGGGGGG@QGGGGGGGGG8###GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@##88888GGGSGG
GGGGGG$@#GGGGGGG@#pGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#NGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGG@#bGGGGGGG3@QGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#NGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGG@#bGGGGGGGG8@QGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#bGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGG@#bGGGGGGGGGG@#bGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG9QQQQQpGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#GGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGG@#bGGGGGGGGGQ@###pGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGQQ##########QGGGGGGGGGGG@#bGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGG8##QQQQQQ###bG8@#pGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#############bGGGGGGGGGG@#bSGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGG9999GGGGGGGG8#QGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@############bGGGGGGG;##G@#GSGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG8@#pGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG8##########bGGGGGQ@##bG@#bSGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG7@#pGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG^775####GGGGQQ##bGGG@#bGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG7@#QSGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#Q####bGGGG;##GSGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGO8#QpGGGGGGGGGGGQQQ####bGGGGGGGQ@#bGQGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG"5##QpG#######b79GGGGGGGGSQ##bGSGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG7@##QpGGGGGGGGGGG9Qs####GSGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG75###QQQQQ####bbGG@#pSGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG"77779GGGGGGG@#NSGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#bSGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@#bSGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

.__                               ________                       .__                                 .__             
__  _  __  ____  |  |    ____   ____    _____      \_____  \       _____  _____   |  |__      _______   ____  _____   |  |    _____   
\ \/ \/ /_/ __ \ |  |  _/ ___\ /  _ \  /     \      /  ____/      /     \ \__  \  |  |  \     \_  __ \_/ __ \ \__  \  |  |   /     \  
 \     / \  ___/ |  |__\  \___(  <_> )|  Y Y  \    /       \     |  Y Y  \ / __ \_|   Y  \     |  | \/\  ___/  / __ \_|  |__|  Y Y  \ 
  \/\_/   \___  >|____/ \___  >\____/ |__|_|  /    \_______ \    |__|_|  /(____  /|___|  /     |__|    \___  >(____  /|____/|__|_|  / 
              \/            \/              \/             \/          \/      \/      \/                  \/      \/             \/