Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Like many of you, I have a fondness for the AR15 platform. And as someone who has spent their entire adult life training and competing with, and (most importantly) building ARs, I like to play around with different parts combinations. And after a few years of doing so (let along a few decades), you know darn well that there are always parts left over. And those parts have a way of turning into another AR.

I've been thinking for a while about manually-operated ARs. There's the Troy pump action rifle (PAR), and of course the strange lever-action abominations found in the UK. I was leaning toward just buying a Troy, but the dang things are a thousand dollars, plus shipping and dealer fees.

Then I saw an auction for a Troy pump action rifle barrel. Just the barrel (and Troy Medieval muzzle brake). It was reasonably priced; I bought it not even knowing if it would fit my purpose. As it turns out, it did.

The barrel from a Troy PAR is an AR barrel, just without a gas port. It has the same barrel extension and the same thread pattern at the muzzle, which makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint.

This barrel happens to be in .300 Blackout, which intersected perfectly with a problem I had: I bought a case of remanufactured .300 subsonics a couple years ago, and they are definitely subsonic because they won't even cycle a normal semi-auto AR. Since I was already effectively running a bolt-action AR, why not make it more ergonomic?

So I had the Troy PAR barrel, a free-float handguard, and a side-charging upper. And then I had a period of free time to make it all come together.

Allow me to introduce the straight-pull, bolt-action AR-15 with spring-assisted battery return.

Ergonomically it feels pretty good. The side charger is way easier to operate than a traditional AR's charging handle, especially if you're going to be doing it over and over, plus there's minimal disturbance of sight picture. And since there's no gas block or tube running back to the receiver and into the carrier key, the barrel is truly free-floated.

I figure if I add a suppressor then the actual shot will be quieter than it would be with a semi-auto; manually running the action will obviously make some noise but at least I can choose when to do it. And I have no qualms about running cast lead bullets in the barrel, unlike a barrel with a gas port which could get fouled up over time.

If it's dumb but it works, is it still dumb?

Yes, but I'm sure there's something dumber, and I'm sure you all have your own ideas of what that would be.

So enjoy my dumb AR, and please post contenders for the title of Dumbest AR.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

infrared35 posted:

If it's dumb but it works, is it still dumb?

No.

I have a pretty dumb build sketched out but not actually started, basically a BRN-Proto in 7.62x39. I call it the Mini-10.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

That's the only AR15 we can have in Canada right now.. Only it's even stupider because the AR15 is banned by name, so even straight pulls aren't allowed.

Luckily a few Canadian companies stepped up with not-AR straight pulls like the MRA renegade (AR15) and Maverick (AR10). Paging Fearless to post his sweet build!

I have something extra dumb in the works, but it's still a little ways out.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Nice grandpa shoes, grandpa.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

EduardoEspecial posted:

Nice grandpa shoes, grandpa.

Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't have a comfy pair of house slippers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I feel like a good pair of house slippers is a necessity in colder climates.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

infrared35 posted:

Those look suspiciously like New Balance shoes. Not slippers.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Need some pics of the, uh, bolt handle side. For science.

Big ol' soft cast doing 1050fps and bypassing state semi-auto laws could be fun for hunting.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Those look suspiciously like New Balance shoes. Not slippers.

Close; they're Skechers.

DkHelmet posted:

Need some pics of the, uh, bolt handle side. For science.

Big ol' soft cast doing 1050fps and bypassing state semi-auto laws could be fun for hunting.

A coworker hunts deer using subsonics. They don't expand at all, so you've got to be spot on with your accuracy. But he always does head shots. It's got about the same energy as .45 ACP (bullet weight and velocity) but I've never seen subs expand. They may deform a little, but that's it. Which is weird, because .45 ACP expands pretty reliably. Just a softer lead in the pistol bullets? Larger frontal surface area leading to more resistance, which in turn causes expansion? Both?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I only hunt at the local Costco. However, I have read a lot about my favorite soft-cast pain in the rear end, my 1884 Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70. From what I read on the subject of slow moving lead cartridges, a soft cast, 20-1 or 40-1 (with no antimony) flatnosed bullet expands nicely.

Edit: I am stupid and would immediately devote all of my runtime into doing something stupid with this mould.

DkHelmet fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 12, 2021

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

During the live fire session, I discovered that the Troy PAR barrels apparently have fluted chambers. Neat!

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

One day you’re going to lose some brass at the range and confuse the poo poo out of someone when they find it.

Cool rifle 5/5 would shoot.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Very cool.

I don't think it's dumb at all, but I do own a Troy PAR in .308 and an Alexander Arms AAR17 in .17HMR so I might, myself, be dumb.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

infrared35 posted:

At least they ain't granddad shoes.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

There's something in the water here, IR. I made a pretty dumb AR too.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Mambo No. 5 posted:

There's something in the water here, IR. I made a pretty dumb AR too.

Oh my my
Oh hell yes

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Furthermore,

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

infrared35 posted:

Furthermore,

I remember when Merrels were made from non poo poo materials, and fit like gloves.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Hasselblad posted:

I remember when Merrels were made from non poo poo materials, and fit like gloves.

My first pair of Merrels lasted almost 3 years of near daily wear, the second pair I bought to replace them lasted about 5 months of the same wear

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I Demand Food posted:

I do own a Troy PAR in .308
I'm curious what you think of it, I've been contemplating picking one up.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm curious what you think of it, I've been contemplating picking one up.

I'll preface this by saying I got mine at a ridiculously low price because apparently the shop sat on it for a very long time even here in .

It's a lot of fun and plenty accurate. Gets a lot of confused looks at the range, too.

You can very easily get a FTF if you short stroke it, so you need to pump it with gusto. Aside from that I've never had any issues and taking it apart to clean is fairly simple too.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

ZebraBlade posted:

My first pair of Merrels lasted almost 3 years of near daily wear, the second pair I bought to replace them lasted about 5 months of the same wear

Absolutely. I wish I could go back in time 20 or so years ago, and buy a couple dozen pairs of Chameleon Stretches.
edit: And the bad recent years reviews magically went away on Amazon

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 22, 2021

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I Demand Food posted:

You can very easily get a FTF if you short stroke it, so you need to pump it with gusto.

This one is similar; I haven't short-stroked it yet but you do have to run the charging handle vigorously to get proper ejection. If you just sort of casually run the bolt back, the spent casing tends to pop out of the bolt face and lie there on top of the rounds in the mag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Here is my dumb AR.

My ultimate goal is to put a 10.5" barrel on it & launch .308 fireballs but I am having a hard time finding one.