Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I feel like that was a better exploration of addictive personality types and gambling problems than... basically anything in fiction I've encountered before? Granted, I'm not the world's most read individual, but it struck me as a better demonstration of "Oh, so this is what goes on in their heads" than most movies

I don't really agree. Firstly, the eraser story had nothing to do with addiction. Secondly, as much as gacha makes you immediately think of addiction, he didn't really care about the game at all until he saw who was #1. That's when he got obsessed and began pouring money into it. They even show him pulling rares (some I think even rarer than the dodo) and being unaffected. He wasn't chasing short-term highs like an addict would. In both cases he'd set a goal of beating a particular person and was obsessed beyond reason at achieving that goal even if he knew deep down it was pointless. That dovetails with the end where Odakawa has become the new target of his obsession.

I feel like it's more a statement of how society has systematically removed the long-term goals people used to aim for so people replace them with superficial ones, but that's not satisfying. Stuff like having a career, buying a house, or even having a family are things a lot of young people feel is out of reach. So instead they shoot for things like getting a high rank in a video game or, to bring in another part of the show, gaining 'success' on social media like the hippo guy. Even the idols and the comedians are pursuing fame but none of them are particularly enthusiastic about it. Everybody is just going through the motions while still feeling that their situation is unsatisfying in a way none of them can properly identify. And then acting out in a variety of ways that even they themselves don't fully understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU