Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the US State Department is energetically involved in preventing the truth of the involvement of the Saudi state in 9/11 from leaking out. We know this because of mistakenly unredacted documents released in a lawsuit filed by the victim's families vs Saudi Arabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

alexander the great conquered afghanistan. Kandahar is Alexandria.

those are tough shoes to fill though.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

insanely pumped that seal team 6 killed a man and mutilated the corpse even after crashing a helicopter

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Wait are the contractors just gonna be staying there then? So we are going to have our first major "all PMC merc" war now?

where the hell will they be staying? the occupation government is being rolled up like a cheap rug

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

john stewart was a war booster in Iraq

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the liberal media adored donald Rumsfield

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

What an awful, tragic irony. President Biden in April chose Sept. 11 as the deadline for U.S. troops to withdraw from Afghanistan. Now it’s possible that, on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the Taliban that once protected Osama bin Laden and that the U.S. ousted from power could again rule in Kabul. Mr. Biden would like to absolve himself of responsibility for this looming defeat, but he cannot. He could have withdrawn U.S. forces in a careful way based on conditions and a plan to shore up Afghan forces or midwife an alliance between regional tribal warlords and the government in Kabul. The President did none of that.

Instead his mid-April decision to withdraw, on the eve of the summer fighting season, triggered the May 1 start of the Taliban offensive. The rapid withdrawal timetable meant U.S. forces would be preoccupied with that task rather than assisting Afghan forces. His decision to abandon multiple military bases, and withdraw all air power, has denied the Afghan army crucial support it relied on.

We are now watching the consequences, as the Taliban captures city after city. Soon the group could control or contest more than 90% of the country, including traditional anti-Taliban strongholds in the north. Insurgents have seized Kandahar and Herat—the second and third largest cities—and an assault on Kabul could come soon. The U.S. is evacuating all but a bare-bones diplomatic staff and may even move them from the U.S. Embassy. Even now, however, it’s not too late to stop or slow the slaughter. Outside of well-regarded special forces units, Afghan army troops have retreated willy-nilly as they’ve lost confidence in holding off the Taliban. But allied air power and maintenance assistance were a basic part of Kabul’s defense strategy.

Government forces are more likely to fight, and could stand a chance, if Mr. Biden brings U.S. air assets back to the country. The U.S. will also need to deploy enough troops and contractors to keep the planes flying and Bagram air base secure.

The fall of Kabul may look inevitable, but the Taliban isn’t the Wehrmacht. A display of even modest renewed U.S. support would boost Afghan morale and give the Taliban pause on its march to Kabul. Once a rout is stopped, the U.S. can then work on a strategy that assists Afghans who oppose the Taliban to set up a resistance. This means working with friendly regional leaders who can provide areas of operational control. CIA teams, like Team Alpha that helped to topple the Taliban in 2001, could enter the country now and rally pockets against the Taliban with air power support. The goal would be to impose costs that would give the Taliban reason to doubt it can regain control of the country. It could also give the Afghan government some negotiating leverage in talks with the Taliban.

Sen. Lindsey Graham suggests reconstituting a version of the bipartisan Afghanistan Study Group to offer ideas for the Biden Administration. In February that group laid out a plan for a small residual U.S. force in Afghanistan that could prevent exactly the kind of rout we’re now seeing. This would need to be done quickly, but there is enough retired military and political expertise on Afghanistan to make it happen. This would be an admission that Mr. Biden’s withdrawal was a mistake, but that would be a small price to avoid strategic disaster and perhaps a bloodbath that will stain America’s reputation and haunt his Presidency. Even the Democratic media has now picked up the Vietnam metaphor—“Biden’s Saigon”—that we warned about weeks ago.

So far Mr. Biden seems determined to stick with his hell-bent withdrawal, and perhaps he thinks Americans won’t care. But they will care if they see in a few weeks or months the revival of safe havens for al Qaeda or Islamic State. They will care if they think the U.S. homeland is threatened. And they’ll care if China, Russia and Iran see the U.S. defeated in Afghanistan by a militia like the Taliban and conclude that Mr. Biden will fold if they challenge U.S. friends and interests. Each of them drew that conclusion about Barack Obama and exploited it in the South China Sea, Ukraine and Syria, and the broader Middle East. Mr. Biden’s vision to rally an alliance of democracies will find fewer takers.

We realize that our advice is a long shot given Mr. Biden’s determination to wash his hands of Afghanistan. But the costs of the bloody defeat that now seems likely will be far greater than the President thinks if the Taliban’s flag soon flies over Kabul.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

lol whoever wrote that article is a crybaby loser who can’t get it through his thick skull that there is literally nothing america can do at this point, they had 20 years but spent the time jerking off in the wind. it’s too late bitch.

the Wallstreet Journal Editorial Board

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/SailorHaumea/status/1426423589323018245

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

Has anyone said “greeted as liberators” yet

the ppl the taliban has freed from the prisons have so far been filmed and pictured as being very jubilant

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

that was quick. god drat

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao holy gently caress that was fast, the country must have really DESPISED the US puppet government.

i cannot for the life of me imagine a more incompetent imperial overlord than the United States of America

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

virgin neoliberal vs chad taliban

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

First Vice President - Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
(Spies never quit)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Buck Turgidson posted:

the usa lost but that doesn't really matter, i'm sure all the right people got paid for their part in this MIC boondoggle.

the people with the greatest culpability for organizing and maintaining the disaster were lauded, rewarded, and celebrated. they won. the only mistake that could be made was to oppose the war and this is born out by the evidence.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

I really like to think that the Afghan US-backed state was basically the modern equivalent of a medieval mercenary group and they just took the money, the training and the weapons and accepted to surrender to the Talibans in exchange of a free pardon. It explains the massively drop in price for us weapons sold online. You litterally spend money for your foreign troops to surrender. There is like 10 machiaveli quotes about that poo poo.

another neoliberal success story

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

really it wasn't his fault that everything failed, he did the best he could, he had no idea literally every single person in his circle was openly corrupt or actually a taliban agent,. he played by all the right rules, i think he deserves another chance - i think biden should create a new middle east advisory position and put him there.

don't say things like this. heaven's lathe might hear you

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Taco Duck posted:

Everybody looks really cozy inside Schnorkles

wait, hold up. Schnorkles is a plane and not a whale?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

this is for women's rights I say as I aim my minigun at a fleeing child

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the serial rapist, murderer, intelligence fabricator, and dope dealer we put in command of an entire district was a son of a bitch, but he was our son of a bitch

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zohar posted:

sth infuriating about this genre of "we just stole 99.8% of your reserves and put your country under sanctions, not so easy to govern now, huh? :smug:"

https://twitter.com/JeromeTaylor/status/1427889380941729793
https://twitter.com/ThereseRaphael1/status/1427912782566002688

Bloomberg Opinion (@bopinion). British/American. Lucky Londoner. Recovering Brexit-watcher; following trade, UK. RTs not endorsements.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

debauched goy. old pimp.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Assad should’ve stepped down when 90% of Syria came out peacefully demanding reforms and when he decided he’d rather kill and genocide everyone instead she absolutely should’ve been overthrown and killed and was well on the way to defeat before Russia and Iran Stepped in to save his regime. Unfortunately The Opposition listened to the lies of their foreign backers and took up arms and Assad had pretty much killed every liberal and Leftist he could grab so the only opposition remaining was the conservative rural populations he starved thanks to his neoliberal policies. But given how Assad was a nazi fascist who literally had no room for any opposition and killed even the mildest people opposing him the Syrians had no choice. The opposition made a huge mistake by taking money from the snakes in the gulf and underestimating how much sectarian loyalty would trump baseline humanity in the regime. Assad Surviving and killing/torturing people as many as he did provided the breeding ground that would fester into ISIS which played into his hands to propagate himself to idiot western ‘Leftists’ who are essentially red fash to defend him while he carried out literal holocaust-level death camps quietly and has a death toll that’s 80% of total deaths.

My ideal situation was that Assad was removed early or killed yes, unfortunately we dont live in that world and Arab fascism won out.

Anyways, I’m not going to debate this because I’ve debated the poo poo out of this over and over here in the last few years, I know it makes the cosplaying leftists here super mad when I break their bubble and I know they dont give a poo poo one way or another whether Arabs are free or not so long as they get to pretend to be anti-imperialists or whatever so it makes no difference to get into screaming matches about this.

we know now by experience that saying "assad must go" doesn't end well

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/taahir_khan/status/1428423758973476874?s=20

I wonder if Massoud Jr will be able to cut a deal for, say, handing over Saleh?

the mad lads did it. conquered the mountain fortress in 48 hours by asking the defenders to negotiate.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Screaming "triple goy!" across the street at the only man in the country whom could consider it an insult.

Good lord.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Smythe posted:

incredible how not 2 seconds after he says zabulon he yells from way far away "WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT ME YOU OLD SCOUNDREL???"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Attorney -

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ISIS? Afghanistan isn't in their region.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

thats hosed up

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

PawParole posted:

It’s where all the loonies went when the taliban decided to not massacre people for having heterodox beliefs or beat up girls for going to school.

makes sense why the taliban is cracking down on them.

US is totally going to back ISIS in Afghanistan because of getting hurt feelings

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

nah he did a nonfiction one literally titled Submarine where he talks about how submarines work. when he starts the first chapter about the british sub he spends a few pages sucking off the royal navy whose centuries of expertise have lead them to be the most feared navy on the high seas or some poo poo.

what a fukkin loser goober

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

etalian posted:

People are right that reporters are just depressed they can no longer do body armor and helmet solder cosplay dress-ups on the air.

they miss the dress-up. they miss the easy stories. they don't like that their high got taken away.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

The super tucano looks pretty cool tbh

Like a WWII era fighter with a modern day aesthetic.

Super Tucanos are with the Marines should have been given instead of their custom F-35 variant

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nothus posted:

I like how we couldn't just buy A-29's from Embraer to give to the Afghans. We insisted they launder the deal through a US-based contract manufacturer for maximum grift.

we also couldn't train and develop a local maintenance program for the A-29s and had foreign contractors doing everything

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Honestly those kids look more like theyre playing with their rabbit hunting guns but :wtc: at glorifying child soldiers.

military aged males

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

don't go to the airport that is an overcrowded disaster zone