Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Man... I'm glad you're back.

I grew up driving a Mazda b2000 with my dad. It was an unrelenting shitbox, but we loved that little thing. My first truck was a 4.0L 5-speed 4x4 '98 Ranger that I spent far too much on, but beat the poo poo out of it and kinds miss.

I do love that the photo of Gir is a Google street view image. It's telling when a vehicle becomes a landmark "turn right at the white not-a-jeep with the tree growing out of the bumper"

Advent Horizon posted:

2020 was a hell of a year.
You don't say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Garage door openers go under the finished ceiling, not above them, silly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

That or the impact driver from HF where you smack it with a hammer while turning it. Stuck phillips screws are its specialty.

A manual impact is the best thing for poo poo like this. 2# steel faced deadblow and a good fitting bit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are they really Phillips, or are they JIS screws? I'm about 90% sure I see a dot on that head.

They're undoubtedly JIS.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

this is important, lol

:Cries in flare nut:

Also, heatshrink tubing, connector backshells, and wiring grommets.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That's some poo poo luck. Is that massive rust on the walls, or concrete? :lol:
Gonna need a spool of 3mm or whatever vacuum line, I chased that poo poo for years on my old VWs. Go scorched earth and replace every. single. line.
Cool bear, though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Look like old Penn reels. They're fun to take apart and get back together. They look surprisingly good. I've rebuilt many of them after getting spooled by bigger-than-target fishes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

Those reels are *mostly* Penn Long Beach and Delmar reels. Nothing particularly special; they were the low end models and get broken fairly easily wit Alaska fishing. They’re good reels for slower (non-salmon) fish that weigh under 50 pounds.

One is a 3/0 senator. I will be finding a use for that. Possibly a salmon reel if it’s the high-speed variant, otherwise a solid bass jigging reel.

One is an Ocean City 523. They’re great looking reels but parts availability is a problem. I may try to fix it up for display or use some parts to fix a co-worker’s grandfather’s reel that’s been in my ‘to do’ bin for two years looking for a parts donor.

Three are Penn 350M reels and use a kind of levelwind I’ve never seen before. They’re neat. If they can be fixed I plan to set them up as identical (with different color handles) rod/reel setups and give to my sister’s three kids so they each have ‘their own’ reel. Not halibut grade but they can handle most stuff the kids have any chance of landing themselves.

I’ll get more reel pictures after work. I’ll probably be spending the next few days tearing some down and putting together a parts order. Most of these will be parts reels; the Long Beach and Delmar reels may be the budget reels but the guts are often shared with the more expensive reels. At the very least I just scored $30 worth of screws (reels often come to me with a lot of broken/missing screws). I also have a bin of just handles because it’s nice to customize reels a little.

Texas doesn’t bother me. Nor do the miles or price. That’s a pretty good looking truck from 10 feet and I’m curious why it’s been listed for 19 weeks.

The $6,000 worth of engine work combined with an inop oil pressure gauge concerns me. The seller also mentions some things that show they don’t know what they’re talking about (“AISIN differential locks”).

I’m kind of looking for that ‘the right seller’ vehicle. Hard to describe but you know it when you see it.

The wobble levelwind is... better than nothing. It doesn't beat a spiral-drive LW when retrieving, that's for sure. They're nice for casting because they're harder to birdsnest.

Senators are good bottom rigs, but not for halibut. Over here on the East Coast, a lot of people use them for cod/haddock.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Knock the heat shield off to start. But yeah, that's a PITA.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

What city? This state varies A LOT from location to location.

I’ve got two more high-content posts to catch up (boat and FJ62), then I should be getting more into working on current stuff. I just tripped the fraud marker on my credit card from buying over $2k in parts and tools to do the Leaf suspension/brake refresh.

In the mean time, I’m blowing this weekend on that god drat mailbox. The USPS is holding my 6-year-old niece’s birthday present hostage (their word) until I have a postal inspector come out and verify that the box meets their very specific and not applicable guidelines. They won’t even let me pick up the mail in person.

LOL. The postal service is such a weird institution.

I put up a new one several years ago when they approved the bigger size.

https://www.usps.com/packagemailbox/

Dimensions
13.63” wide x 7.75” tall on sides, 12" tall at center x 16.5” deep

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NoSpoon posted:

One of my dad’s friends (a teacher) used to have his mailbox taken out frequently. He replaced it with a plate steel box affixed to the end of an I-beam that was sunk a couple of feet into the ground and concreted in place.

He heard a car hit it a few weeks later. In the morning he couldn’t see a scratch, just a little paint. I’ve just looked on Street View and it still looks as solid as ever. Must be pushing 25 years now.

Unfortunately, this is illegal most places. The post and mailbox need to snap off in the event of a collision. It's a dick move, to boot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Dude, I'm so glad you came back to this dying pig balls forum. I miss the demo derbies of my youth in WV, although that looks much safer and slower. Any fist fights?

I'd have been wearing an exposure suit to climb into an ice chunk, but that's a hell of a shot. I'm also famously risk-averse.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

No fights. In fact, there was a rollover in the FWD class and several other competitors rushed out to make sure the driver was okay:

And some Orcas, out looking for salmon seal snacks:

I'd imagine that's the case, I never got it in WV. Everyone knows everyone, so why be an rear end in a top hat?

If we ever travel up that way again, I wanna go for a ride. I sure miss Alaska.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
LOL. Glad it made it!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Led bulbs very rarely match the filament shape and exposure, so the beam pattern falls apart. More lumens, but not in the places the reflector is designed to throw. I just add dedicated LED reverse lights to every truck. I've never seen a retrofit LED headlight that actually works better unless it's on an ancient vehicle. They're brighter up close, but the throw and pattern are poo poo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

I generally agree with you, but these are high beams ONLY and they do seem like an improvement. The stock Leaf high beams suck.

I think the reverse bulbs would work better if I could access the inside of the housing and line it with foil tape. I have the same bulbs in an FJ62 and I like them in that application, but I have the housing properly reflective there.

Yeah, I wasn't saying you made a mistake. They just don't work out great. If they're the same or a bit better, that's a win in my book. Plus, matching color temperatures and longer bulb life (probably).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
What do you need wipers for?

LOL. That's most of what I remember about Southeast. Rain, rain, rain.

The dash looks amazing. I've gotten really old poo poo from RockAuto before too. Mostly VW parts with "Made in West/East Germany" on them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SpeedFreek posted:

My greenhouses do the same thing in the winter, the choice is run a ton of fans 24/7 running up the electric bill to new and exciting highs or wait until its warmer out. I leave the doors at least partially open unless I'm expecting some crazy winds.

Based on the little I know about your area you're screwed. My new goto solution to storage is get a shipping container, I'm wondering what the condensation would be like inside of one of those in your rainforest humidity.

Shipping containers are terrible with humidity. I've seen them literally rain from big temp swings. They're uninsulated steel boxes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It's in! Time to get wrenching.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That's not really even enough. Filter brands change their construction regularly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

First things first - Happy Birthday sharkytm!

:biglips:

Thanks dude!

Even if your back is against the wall, you know you're doing it right and won't need to chase "drat PO" issues in the future.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

What a roller coaster. At first I was like "that guy sucks, loving with all your projects when you aren't around" and then he goes and hooks you up with a welder and goes down to the wire for you. That's pretty awesome. :allears:

I missed exactly what the swap was among the oil filter chat. Auto to manual? I'm not real familiar with these vehicles but a giant trans and a tiny one make me think so. Is the trans from a stock manual version of this truck or from something else? Either way, nice work.

Yeah, auto to manual.

Dude, your FiL is awesome. I wish mine was half as useful or motivated.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Ejector seat? Oil slick?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Run wiring now. I have installed mini marine fuse boxes in the back of several trucks with a hefty power run to the main fuse box and a bunch of signal wires as well. Well worth it if you plan on doing any extra lighting or accessories.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

Connected the battery tonight and found 4 problems:

1. My Eject switch had the constant power and switched power reversed. The only difference was that the ‘on’ light was constantly active. This has been fixed.

2. The new seat belt warning LED is installed backward (reversed polarity). I’ll fix that the next time I pull the dash, which will be tomorrow because…

3. The dash cam isn’t working. I hard wired it so something’s up. I tied it in with the stereo, which works, so I need to verify that the power controller works.

4. The reverse lights don’t work. This is a HUGE problem - the reverse circuit is the only switch on the new transmission. gently caress I hope it doesn’t take a lot of troubleshooting but I’ve already shorted the wires at the transmission plug and gotten nothing. I need to verify +12v at the transmission before I start tracing the harness; it’s possible something lost connection while I was running the camera circuit (I tucked it into the same loom). I have my doubts about that, though, since all the other rear lights work.

The dashcam power controller might have a low voltage cutoff, if the battery voltage getting to it is too low, it might not kick on.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Woop! Looking good. Hopefully the drill isn't permanently smoked.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That sounds like a lot. Major congrats on finishing in time and getting it onto the barge. I'm excited about the big trip, and can't wait for pictures.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Bummer. At this point, I think everyone's just gonna get bit. Hopefully it ain't bad.

Nice pictures, save the last one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Is that what they're calling it these days?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

Honda can’t even make their engines turn the same direction as everyone else.

I’ll get some weekend stuff up later but for now I’ll say we had a great time. The Corolla won! There were 4 cars in the class, he did the fatal blows on a Taurus and old Subaru GL wagon (both lost the passenger front knuckle); the remaining Pontiac Bonneville got stuck.

He stepped up to the midsize SUV class and somehow it even survived that! He was so light it just bounced when hit, which wasn’t often because nobody else could catch it! He finally got stuck in the mud hunting for the last two other competitors, who then duked it out for several more minutes.

The car is parked at a friend’s place and it will be brought out to defend the title next year.

:love: Esmeralda

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Southeast is just so drat beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Eagerly awaiting results of digger escapades.