Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah they are. Just ask for a spark plug boot and terminal. You'll have to crimp the terminal on (after the boot is on the wire).

Might have better luck with it being on hand at Napa vs the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Advent Horizon posted:

NAPA: “We discontinued plug caps because nobody makes their own plug wires anymore.”

O’Reilly: “We don’t carry anything individual like that, I have to look it up in the system by make and model; there’s no other way to filter it.” Also was told they don’t have any plug wires of any kind in stock, it’s all special order. WTF.

Western Auto: Nope.

The gently caress? 3 Napas within 30 miles show this and this as being in stock, available for same day pickup. I know your selection will be a lot more limited out there, but Napa very much carries them. Sounds more like that particular Napa dropped them.

You found the lazy counter jockey at O'Reilly. The one who doesn't bother learning how to look anything up aside from make/model. :fuckoff: Napa usually has the crusty old geezers that know how to use a paper catalog.... and crimp their own spark plug wires... and walked uphill to/from school in the snow barefoot.

Western is owned by Advance, aren't they? So I'm not too surprised. Advance is great for saving 20% on poo poo you need right now, that pulls up in their online catalog (and shows in stock at a nearby store)... not great for much else. Anytime I've tried to use their counter jocks, they've been worse than Autozone. Going so far as to refuse to do a warranty swap because the part was from a different location (had the receipt, etc), on a $7 door switch. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 29, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh hey, I used to go to Courtesy Nissan in person when I had my Altima - they were a ~20 minute drive away, and had the best parts prices in DFW. The Nissanclub forums also highly recommended them.

If you just walked in, the prices were considerably higher. Depending which person was working the counter, they'd either match it if I asked, or make me walk back outside and place the order online.... then I'd walk back in 15 minutes later and get the parts. :rolleyes: They knew their stuff though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Advent Horizon posted:

I bet an engine hoist would help with that roof dent.

…oh.

I never wanted to know what spicy curry exiting via my nose felt like, you rear end in a top hat. :argh: note to self: don't eat Indian food while reading this thread...

You can at least save most of the remaining glass, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I almost got that, but went for a Viofo instead. Kinda wishing I'd gone with the Garmin after seeing that, it's much easier to hide and the video isn't that bad.

Can't play videos back on the Viofo without an external power supply (and I didn't leave enough slack in the headliner to pull enough cable out to detach it for playback :doh:), so it may as well not have a screen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wow. Just lost all respect for Wix after seeing how little filter media there is.

Did you send this over to the BITOG forums yet?

e: just fell down the rabbit hole over there, looks like Wix got bought out a few years ago and is no longer nearly as good as they used to be. Also looks like the OEM filters I've been using on the Matrix are crap. :sigh: I was already planning on changing the filter before the oil anyway (it has Mobil 1 Annual Protection in it, only has 2k miles since July), guess I'm changing the filter tomorrow.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 20, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Advent Horizon posted:

The YZZF1 is crap? That’s news to me.

There are a LOT of counterfeit Toyota filters. I only get them from the dealership. I haven’t ever heard of issues with filters purchased from a dealer but it seems like the people buying from eBay/Walmart do.

I could probably get and slice open a YZZF1/YZZF2 filter tomorrow morning if you want to see the guts.

4WD is currently FWD:

Amsoil supposedly did a comparison, and the specific Toyota filter they tested came out pretty crappy in terms of filtration (fake edit, finally found the thread again.. it's the YZZF2)

The Motorcraft FL820S I generally run on the Vic stacks up pretty well for the price in that comparison (typically $4 on Amazon or at Walmart; Walmart has been OOS for a few months now though, so Lord Bezos has a few on the way for me). The Toyota filters (also from Walmart) have so far been sealed in a Toyota box with a Toyota holographic sticker on them. :shrug:

I mean... Toyota, particularly the Corolla and Camry, are well known for running forever.. and that's the filter they used for drat near 40 years on them, so obviously they did something right. I was planning on changing the filter on the Matrix 6 months into this oil run, and I'm at 7 months, so meh, it's only $1 more for a Fram Tough Guard at this point. It gets driven so little that it's probably overkill to even bother worrying about what filter it gets; it sees 5-6k miles a year, since new, and before I got my hands on it, it got lube shop oil changes every 3-4 months. Despite leaking a bit from the timing cover, it doesn't need topping off between 1-2x/year oil changes (it's usually a little above the add mark by the time it gets changed).

I've been under the valve cover before and it's... cleanish. Some varnish, but since it's always had whatever bulk oil the lube shop had at the time, that's to be expected. It's been running Mobil 1 for almost 4 years now, I'll be moving the Vic over to it once I finish off the store brand synthetic blend I had stocked up on from my last workplace.

kastein posted:

Lending a whole new meaning to the term "open differential" there

Just needs a wedding ring. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 20, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Toyota filters referenced above are made by Denso.

Looks like I'm doing Fram Tough Guard or Ultra Guard on the Matrix from now on, and continuing Motorcraft on the Ferd, but the Ferd sees 3 oil changes a year vs 1 on the Matrix.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Double check that Fram's part number on the can itself; I'm pretty sure that's an Extra Guard (the cheapest retail filter they sell). Tough Guard should have a silver or grey can except for the very first ones from the 90s (which wouldn't have that rubberized grip). If it's a PH that was in a XG box, someone probably swapped filters between boxes to get the XG for the PH price. I've seen a lot of wrong filters at Walmart when I'm buying filters; I always open the box to make sure the correct filter is in there, if it's not sealed.

What's the easiest way to cut them open? I'm tempted to cut open the (used) Toyota filter I have. Obviously can't measure filtration efficiency, but I can at least see what the build quality is like on the Walmart version.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 21, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'll likely invest in one - the Vic had some... concerning... stuff with the last oil change. I still have the filter, curious to see what's in there. Really hoping it's only making GBS threads out the timing chain guides and not something worse. :ohdear: I ran that oil a bit longer than I wanted to (about 6k) - I don't like to go that long unless I'm on name brand full synthetic, and I've been running a store brand blend in it (made by Warren, so not horrible oil, just not great).

The Extra Guard is what gave Fram a bad name to begin with - it used to be terrible, I think at one point they didn't even have an ADBV? These days it's a passable filter so long as you do <5k oil changes, but they're not great. At least they have a silicone ADBV now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 22, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's really interesting on the Denso vs Denso*Toyota.

As for the Bosch, not surprising, though they're another Champion Labs filter (just a higher tier). They make a whole boatload of brands, including Mobil 1 and.... Fram.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gonna go with Darchangel on that. They're all the same, matched to the rotor and cam.

Guessing they either revised it a few times, or you go to the next number when you rebuild the pump (if it's loose).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 16, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PBCrunch posted:

keep that dick-shaped bracket stiff.

They make o-rings for that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but you can adjust the angle of the display on that head unit if you need to (only upward tho). drat if I remember how at this point, but it IS adjustable. It'll snap back to flat when it's off, but when powered up it'll poke out a bit once it starts up.

Also, might want to check out Direct Tools Outlet. They're primarily Ryobi, but sometimes have other brands. They have their retail storefront an hour from me, if you need anything from them (like a new drill....) - I can ship stuff to you via USPS (they only do the lower 48 and only fedex if you order online).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 29, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

I want that forbidden candy cane.

Paging cursedshitbox to the thread. CSB, your candy cane is needed on aisle 11 in this thread.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Smart to bring tests before a gathering.

I'm happy to see your FJ back on the road, doing what it was meant to do instead of being a show queen.

sharkytm posted:

Bummer. At this point, I think everyone's just gonna get bit. Hopefully it ain't bad.

Pretty much this, just hopefully by milder and milder variants - I'm pretty sure this is just going to eventually be another thing we need to get a jab for every year, like the flu. I thought, given my vaccine antibody levels, I wouldn't get it (I was in an antibody study at the time). Still got it with my vaccine antibodies too high to get a number from (final blood draw was a few weeks after recovering, showed I had natural antibodies as well now), but it was very mild for me. Not much worse than allergies or a cold, but here it is a few months later and I still have a cough and not a ton of energy. And now a $#@!*( blood clot in my arm that's being a dick.

kastein posted:

Honestly a loose driveshaft and a drum brake issue are pretty good things to have as break-in issues rather than something more difficult and expensive to source.

This too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 29, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Advent Horizon posted:

I put a listing on the local FB Buy/Sell/Trade group looking for an old pay phone to use in the shop. Instead of anything useful I was accused of being a cop. Until I can track down a pay phone I’m just going to buy a regular old wall phone off eBay.

One thing to keep in mind with pay phones - the last (and fanciest) of them, a Nortel Millennium, needs a server and specific type of line to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nortel_payphones

You can get them working with a good bit of work, it looks like someone on github has released their own version of millennium manager.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 28, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You can run a flush through the system and start from scratch, but being a hermetically sealed compressor with the windings likely sitting in the oil, that'll probably do more harm than good. :ohdear:

It's more like a home AC system than a typical automotive system, as far as the compressor goes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The contamination is the "A/C Pro" label. :v:

As long as it didn't contain oil, I would think you're probably okay - there has to be SOME kind of UV oil that works on EV systems, right? It's a growing market, and 134 didn't get phased out until the beginning of the 2021 model year for light duty vehicles - I know some EVs were using 134 up until then. Might reach out to the company and see if they have anything to say though. I think you specifically need to ask if their product is compatible with ND-11 oil.

It might be worth investing in a low end sniffer. You can get them for under $100 (though I'm sure you know shipping might be almost as much).

kastein posted:

I didn't know that either. And yeah it's probably winding insulation related. I would open that thing up and flush it out, just make sure the flush is compatible with the compressor/insulation...

I'd assume something that would be safe for a package unit or commercial refrigeration might work, though they usually only get flushed during a compressor swap AFAIK. And the compressor is usually out of the loop (but there's always going to be a little bit of flush that can't be completely removed).

Maybe ExplodingSims might have some input? He works on commercial HVACR for a living, though some of the larger refrigeration stuff will use an external motor on the compressor. I sent him a message on FB, though I know he's tied up with marriage stuff at the moment.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 2, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Advent Horizon posted:

A friend recently crammed a bluetooth/landline adapter, plus battery, into a Western Electric 302. He can carry it around and use it like a cell phone - something like that, minus the battery gimmick, could be fun around the house.

Now that's awesome.

There were some plug-in handsets for cellphones for awhile, but most phones did away with headphone connectors years ago. I got some looks using one in public.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can't really contribute much, except those hours are pretty drat low. Does it have a PTO?

That thing is in far better shape than the <2 year old poo poo running around <unnamed EV maker> factories, including the tires!

e: actually after seeing what bidding is up to, I'd probably pass if it's just something for home. It's pretty spendy at this point.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can vouch for that trail mix being drat good, it's my favorite one from HEB. They sell it in a multipack (bunch of snack size bags) and an 18 oz bag.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tell me that's all piled up in front of a neighbor's driveway. The one the entire neighborhood hates. :v:

That's something I would have done with a couple of neighbors I've had over the years....

That old propane tank behind the dash is genius. I'm used to Ford's glorified large coffee can, but that truck only had vacuum operated HVAC (the 27 year newer Crown Vic did too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Why the hell am I cackling so hard at this?

:perfect: