Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

pnumoman posted:

Wtf, why is there milk on salt and vinegar chips in the first place?

this is seriously the exact question that went through my mind as I read that. :psyduck:

Never had all dressed up chips but as far as Canadian treats go, ketchup chips are a crime against humanity and I move that all Canadians on the council have their membership revoked and be put on a probationary status until we can determine whether or not they are one of the "good ones"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

this is seriously the exact question that went through my mind as I read that. :psyduck:

Never had all dressed up chips but as far as Canadian treats go, ketchup chips are a crime against humanity and I move that all Canadians on the council have their membership revoked and be put on a probationary status until we can determine whether or not they are one of the "good ones"

Sid sent me a package of ketchup lays I havent eaten yet, can he be one of the good ones?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
sid gets a pass even if he is essentially worse than those people who were mailing anthrax to people after 9/11 for sending you those chips

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
All dressed are good, ketchup are good, dill pickle also is a decent choice

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nooner posted:

As a Canadian, I second the motion, but only if All Dressed is included as an unforgivable food crime.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've tried All Dressed chips before and they were decent. I'd eat them again. Don't care much for dill pickle chips, which is weird because I love dill pickles. Just doesn't work for me in chip form. My wife loves them though.

Also dips should definitely be discussed. The simple Bean Dip is a treasure and I suspect, though I cannot prove, that it is remarkably similar to what the Greeks referred to as Ambrosia.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I bought a big bag of those flaming hot dill pickle chips a couple of weeks ago when I was shitfaced wandering around in the market and after eating them both drunk and sober I still can not tell if I like them or not. they are an enigma of a chip

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Juanitas are the best tortilla chips. They claim they dont fry em in lard but I am pretty sure they do.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
do they make spinach artichoke dip flavored chips?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
semi related question but do they make mushy peas crisps over in ye old englande :staredog:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i dont know about flavored, but there is a spinach, artichoke, and jalapeno dip that they sell at church that is pretty much the best chip dip on the planet

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Nooner posted:

i dont know about flavored, but there is a spinach, artichoke, and jalapeno dip that they sell at church that is pretty much the best chip dip on the planet

If I recall right I looked at the calories in that and put it back, believing it better not to know

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whatever happened to oyster crackers ? :thunkin:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
this is the meeting of the potato chip council. The soup council's meeting is down the hall

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nooner posted:

this is the meeting of the potato chip council. The soup council's meeting is down the hall

You are the people who got honey roasted peanuts taken off airlines!!! :argh:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You are the people who got honey roasted peanuts taken off airlines!!! :argh:

lets not say things we cant take back

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Aardvark! posted:

semi related question but do they make mushy peas crisps over in ye old englande :staredog:

Nope. The UK crisp industry is way behind because of the 25 year gap after the invention of prawn cocktail, when no new flavours were developed because nothing was going to beat that.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Speaking of which I do understand we have a delegate from the British "crisp" council here to say a few words. By all means, you have the floor, just try not to make a fool of yourself like la --

jesus loving christ Barry

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Just plain ol' crinkle and thick-cut crisps, unpeeled and sprinkled with sea salt.

This particular brand used to be kettle fried in peanut oil. But when the company was acquired by Estrella (one of two giants of dry snacks in Sweden), they replaced the peanut oil with a mix of rapeseed and sunflower oil. Estella claimed it was due to allergy concerns, which is bullshit because purified peanut oil doesn't cause reactions.

Anyway, they're still good — maybe even great. But they used to be perfect.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Let's shake this place to its very core!!!

🔥🔥🔥:supaburn::tif::piss:🔥🔥🔥

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Whatever happened to oyster crackers ? :thunkin:

Check the ethnic aisle or visit an Asian mart.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Also dips should definitely be discussed. The simple Bean Dip is a treasure and I suspect, though I cannot prove, that it is remarkably similar to what the Greeks referred to as Ambrosia.

the Frito-Lay bean dip does not reach the giddy heights of my nostalgic memories.

I suspect that it used to have lard as an ingredient.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Derpies posted:

*Busts into the room incredibly hosed up on substances*

Yo it is me your pal Olestra

Is it time for a come back?

Oh, they'll come out of your back alright.

In regards to All Dressed chips, the US Ruffles version is a sham, not nearly enough flavor.
Humpty Dumpty brand is legit, made in Maine so close enough to get that real Canadian influence

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Man, UTZ has really gone down in quality for the last couple years. I used to hold them to a Lay's standard but now I really don't touch them at all. They always seem to be stale and kind of weird. That wasn't always true though.

Its all about the Grippo's bbq though:

Nothing like it, nothing will beat it.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Potato chip musings:

Utz are great.

Zapp's, the brand that people were having a hard time reading the font on the bag for, is also owned by Utz. Their Voodoo flavor is alright, but their Evil Eye flavor is just lovely.

Herr's are the best brand for flavors that resemble other things, like bbq baby back ribs and firehouse chicken. They seriously are some kind of food science wizards in their ability to make meat flavors added to potato chips actually taste real, and not like some crime against creation itself. Also, I hate ranch flavored things, but Herr's make this loving crazy good spicy version that they call Ragin' Ranch. I'm so lactose intolerant that Lactaid hardly does poo poo for me, so I would usually never decide that some scrub tier flavor like ranch anything would be worth the searing gut pain I'd get from it, but holy poo poo, Ragin' Ranch is amazing. I still don't really eat more than a couple of them when they're available to me, but if I could without being doubled over in pain, I totally would. I think Herr's is kind of hard to find outside of Pennsylvania, though.

As someone who likes vinegar enough that the chemical burn from salt and vinegar chips is part of the point of eating them, I have to say that dill pickle flavored chips are also fantastic. Its a flavor that makes even Lay's kinda sad chips be worth eating.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 17, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Its all about the Grippo's bbq though:

Nothing like it, nothing will beat it.
Yeah those have the bbq chip crown.

Edit: woah. https://shop.grippos.com/shop/product/grippo-jerky-1-package-44/

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 18, 2021

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
op is correct. utz is best. unfortunately a relatively few places sell them in the southeast

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, they'll come out of your back alright.

In regards to All Dressed chips, the US Ruffles version is a sham, not nearly enough flavor.
Humpty Dumpty brand is legit, made in Maine so close enough to get that real Canadian influence

no longer made in maine, unfortunately. entirely imported from Canada now. i used to go to their factory store when i was a kid... might be why I'm addicted to eating junk food now

these are made in maine and are excellent, though:

the "bbq" is just salt and cayenne, but i enjoy them. also the only salt and pepper chips I've ever liked.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I bought and am currently eating some Utz Southern Sweet Heat BBQ chips for the first time ever. I'm not impressed. These chips taste like any store brand chip I've ever had. I never buy potato chips but really wanted to get these due to all of the praise in the thread.

I don't get it. They're just standard potato chips. Not even very good. I'll take any macro brand kettle chip over these any day.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'll take any macro brand kettle chip over these any day.

I do agree there's a structural hierarchy.

my vote is kettle>ridges>wavy>regular>whatever the gently caress Pringles are

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, how could I forget Martin's chips?

If you grew up in south central PA odds are you've seen these chips in a plastic punchbowl at a pool party next to the turkey hill iced tea. They make plain and BBQ and maybe that's it but they're crunchy as hell non ruffled chips that tended to fold on itself while cooking so you have a lot of those curled up chips that make them excellent for stuffing in your face. Also you bought them in a big box like this that has 3 1lb nondescript white bags of these chips inside. :hellyeah:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

poorchoices.jpg

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Being a kid in the 90s if your mum came home from doing the weekly shop with a multipack of these instead of Walkers it was enough to ruin your whole week

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

These are the best crisps, they get carried away with adding the flavouring so they gently caress your mouth up good and proper

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

I bought and am currently eating some Utz Southern Sweet Heat BBQ chips for the first time ever. I'm not impressed. These chips taste like any store brand chip I've ever had. I never buy potato chips but really wanted to get these due to all of the praise in the thread.

I don't get it. They're just standard potato chips. Not even very good. I'll take any macro brand kettle chip over these any day.

As with any regional food produced by huge companies that comes in a box, bag, or bottle, they all taste more or less the same and people swearing up and down their local variant is special and better are just xenophobic and nationalistic in the socially acceptable context of food. Having strong opinions about a brand is entirely due to the region it’s in and the perceived social benefit of huffing corporate farts from that region.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
By this I mean to say Tim’s jalapeño are the superior snack.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Chief McHeath posted:

The BBQ coating on Grippo's is divine.

In my youth, when I was a knave chippee, I would’ve whole-heartedly agreed. Alas, age has eroded my enthusiasm and I must protest that it is merely good, and not so ecclesiastical as you purport good friend.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

These bullshit things which unflavoured and you have to salt them yourself. Cost the same as the flavoured crisps too, hosed up

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm a big jalapeño guy and zapps and tims r by far the best jalapeño style I've had. Its not a very large sample selection mind u, but they're legitimately good chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm sorry you didn't like them Pennywise the Frown. I hope you find another chip that makes you happy.