Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Who What Now posted:

Was the reboot even any good?

The movie selection was good. The jokes and skits were bad. It's fan fiction MST3k because that's what it literally is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

in defense of the Netflix MST3K;

season 1 of the original run is bad, and season 2 isn't much better. that's completely ignoring what's generally called season 0.

season 3 is loving great, though.

I'm hoping it'll be similar with the current batch... season 11 wasn't the worst, even if you disliked it, and season 12 fixed a lot of the problems. now that everybody is seasoned, I think it'll be much more like what we remember. but different.

I disagree. Season 1 was fine. Season 2 is great. They were also still learning poo poo back then. Seasons 11 and 12 were made by veteran comedy writers. Hell, the lead writer was the lead writer of the Daily Show and he runs a weekly podcast where they talk about bad movies. No excuse for the bad stuff in those seasons. Also as mentioned above, the skits were bad. I can't remember a single skit from season 12 but season 11 was nothing but skits based around pieces of laser-cut wood.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I would say Pod People is a pretty good first episode. Great bad movie, on point and hilarious riffs, and some of the best skits out there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SylvainMustach posted:

Maybe my taste is a bit off but the juxtaposition of riffs against bleak oldies always worked best for me like in High School Big Shot, The Girl in Lover's Lane and Leech Woman.

I've always felt MST3K pairs perfect with drive-in B-movies..

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rick Sloane made a lot of stuff that ended up on USA Up All Night. It's that kind of sleazy trash. Makes me wonder what MST3K would look like had the show ended up on USA instead of the Sci-fi change, since they were owned by the same outfit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Sourdough Sam posted:

An underrated gem from the Joel era is "I Accuse My Parents" which is the definitive moralizing 50s cautionary tale.

High schooler with alcoholic parents goes from being a star student to gangster lackey, but he won an essay contest!

There's a whole sub-genre of films like this from the time period. They're all as fun as I Accuse My Parents.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

If you haven't watched the Bridget and Mary Jo riff of High School USA (a failed 80's pilot episode-turned-movie, very nearly featuring a certain young comedian named Joel Hodgson), it's the best thing I've seen them do so far.

So just to clarify, the pilot (which was not picked up) was based off the TV movie (which was riffed). It did not have any of the stars from the movie and did not get picked up.

That's a wild movie with what at the time were already stars or would go on to be known actors.

Michael J Fox
Nancy McKeon
Crispin Glover
Crystal Bernard
Todd Bridges
Dana Plato
Anthony Edwards

Even the old people in the show were stars:
Angela Cartwright
Bob Denver
Tony Dow
Ken Osmond
Dawn Wells
and the list goes on.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 21, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

It's amazing, going from the RLM thread to this one, and seeing that there are people out there who know bad movies but don't know who Cameron Mitchell is.

He's a fuckin legend. I love his roles where he was clearly on set for half a day, sitting in a desk, and just reading off his lines where he has no idea of the context or anything. Bonus points for movies that star Cameron Mitchell but they literally just re-use the same footage of him behind a desk from prior movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A lot of these movies are made by the same people or studios so there's going to be a lot of the same actors showing up in these movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

When rewatching Eegah! once I noticed that Ray Dennis Steckler (The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies) appears briefly with I believe no lines during Eegah!'s rampage at the end of the movie.

Edit: He had lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCb5rLjtF-4&t=4705s

He was a camera operator on Eegah. One of his earliest jobs in the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Danger Diabolik is a legit good movie.