Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Today is Titanic Day, aka the Day the Big Boat Went Blub-Blub :woop:

On this day some number of years ago a big boat called Titanic struck an iceberg off the coast of North America, and sank, which is ironic because the captain, who also sank, was only two days away from retirement.

Did you or anyone you know perish or survive this, the second-greatest berg-related calamity ever to befall mankind? Share your thoughts and/or prayers in the thread!

Can you believe a dude read about the ship and said "i reckon this ship is practically unsinkable", and then the first chance it gets the ship immediately sinks anyway??? Truly there is no limit to the hubris of mortal men.

Here is a picture of the ship as she might have looked like (before the disaster)

RIP may she sleep with the fishes :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why didn't they just go around

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like the part in the movie where you get to see the girls tiddies!!!!! :q:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
What was the ultimate berg related accident? You post Titanic was second.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nooner posted:

I like the part in the movie where you get to see the girls tiddies!!!!! :q:

That why they called the ship the TITanic!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I got this shirt lol

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Billy zane did nothing wrong

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Too soon OP, too soon

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Spinz posted:

What was the ultimate berg related accident? You post Titanic was second.

The greatest berg-related calamity ever to befall mankind was the 1994 movie "Rapa-Nui" :911:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
buying a crisp head of iceberg lettuce and obliterating it with a 2x4 in my backyard, to honour the victims, today. god bless

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Apparently I have an ancestor who was almost on that ship, like bought a ticket but then decided not to go

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ventral EggSac posted:

Apparently I have an ancestor who was almost on that ship, like bought a ticket but then decided not to go

My wife says the same thing. I find it highly suspect.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Maybe that poster is your wife. Did you consider that???

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I had such an obsessive interest in the Titanic as a kid my parents had me tested for autism

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

HD DAD posted:

I had such an obsessive interest in the Titanic as a kid my parents had me tested for autism

And the result was?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

HD DAD posted:

That's wild
Looking back do you have any idea wtf

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No idea, but it was literally all I would talk about for like, a year and a half.

I still get the urge to play Titanic: Adventure Out of Time though

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Just build 2 boats idiot

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

beer gas canister posted:

Just build 2 boats idiot

Titanic and Totonuc

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Good, I’m glad it sunk. Stupid rear end boat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That seems unlikely OP. The Titanic is an unsinkable ship.

Icebergs don't melt steel ships!

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Thoughts and prayers

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
If only they had a few good T-word boats around to get that iceberg out of the way!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuSdU8tbcHY

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

R.L. Stine posted:

buying a crisp head of iceberg lettuce and obliterating it with a 2x4 in my backyard, to honour the victims, today. god bless

:yossame:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

beer gas canister posted:

Just build 2 boats idiot

They did.. the titanic had an identical sister ship, the Lusitania

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've been hate playing Titanic for Wii with my significant other and it's baffling how a point and click adventure game made years after the genre was perfected could completely ignore all previous innovations so willfully and spitefully.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Vim Fuego posted:

They did.. the titanic had an identical sister ship, the Lusitania

Wow! I sure hope nothing bad happens to it!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ventral EggSac posted:

Who What Now posted:

https://twitter.com/yesterdaysprint/status/1382506293663997954?s=19

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The icebergs are melting, imo we should bomb them while we still can

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wish I still had my giant Titanic book that was chock full of knowledge about the ship, testimony from survivors, and a massive buttload of pictures of before the sinking and the discovery on the ocean floor. Pretty sure it was from Robert Ballard, the oceanographer who discovered the wreck.

It owned.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

You Are A Elf posted:

Wish I still had my giant Titanic book that was chock full of knowledge about the ship, testimony from survivors, and a massive buttload of pictures of before the sinking and the discovery on the ocean floor. Pretty sure it was from Robert Ballard, the oceanographer who discovered the wreck.

It owned.

One of these ones?

I had both of these as a kid and there was a period where I pored over them virtually non-stop. I was born in 1986 so the discovery/exploration of the wreck was very fresh at the time I was learning to read. There was also a NatGeo documentary that we had on video. I'm not sure if I was quite as obsessed as HD DAD but it must have been close. When my Mum moved out of the family home we went through a box of old stuff from my pre- and primary school, and at age 4 I had taken the opportunity of a class project to 'write a book' (big plastic spiral-bound A4 sheets) to produce a book about the Titanic, complete with kid hand-drawn illustrations of it being built, launching, sailing, colliding with things, sinking, the rescue, the discovery and the exploration. I don't think I could do that now! And there were facts in there that 4-year old me had that I don't even remember knowing! Such a nerd at such a young age!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Did you know? The search for the Titanic was actually a side-mission and neat cover story for what Ballard was actually paid to do by the navy: finding out what happened to two of their sunken nuclear attack submarines.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wow, newspapers had some bite to them back then.

e: lmao
https://twitter.com/yesterdaysprint/status/1382501127111933954

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 16, 2021

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Same except sonic the hedgehog

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Fucken wrecked

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Didn't really think the forums themselves were going to get so into the holiday

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

In school we had to do a whole term learning about the Titanic because our teacher saw the movie and loved it. I was about 6 or 7 at the time and was aware that all the adults loved the movie and called him out on this and got a detention out of it, he made me write "I will respect the Titanic" something like 50 times.

He also was a massive Christian and he taught us that the Titanic sank because people said the ship was so great that even God couldn't sink it, and so God sank it to make a point.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
The forums go down on Titanic Day

Coincidence??????? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
thanks op never heard of this