Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

itsasooz posted:

Not quite- unity spent a lot of time searching various free music sites for themes, so the lion's share of the music is from cool people who put out resources for free. The Kasey Ozymy one was contributed as part of a secret santa exchange, and it's super great.

EDIT: unity told me there are a few more tracks she commissioned- a battle track, the most common boss battle track, and the scenes in Dottie's house. They were all done by Geoff Moore.

ah, my B, looks like I misread the Original tag in the music files and thought Geoff Moore was a dev or something

he sure did a good job with making his music fit the game's aesthetic, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Chapter Three: Welcome Passenger

Welcome back, everybody; last time, we got into some fights and met, uh, a, um...Something. We met a something. Today, we'll see how that meeting goes, so let's get crackin'.

Man, you are a sizable fella, aren't you?

Channeling a little Luke Cage there, Alicia. I like it.

Let's try to remain polite. He's a four-armed eldritch creature, but that's no excuse to be rude.

Alicia!

Oh, great, now we're going to get our rear end kicked. Fantastic.

:swoon:

Shut the gently caress up, we're gonna get this badass on our side! Look at him! Ain't poo poo gonna stand against that!

Even if he does seem a little...Reserved?

...Aw, poo poo. This is gonna end up with our soul being gone, Dottie enslaved, and the town being relocated to this guy's stomach, where the citizens are eternally digested and tortured for all of existence.

Considering the city seems to be gone, yeah, I'll settle for that.

Does your bigass body lack ears? Alicia is pretty clear on what she wants.

Alicia, I can sass and get away from it; I'm behind a keyboard, which automatically makes me a badass. You're actually there, within reach of either of his arms, or his...Mouth? Is that a mouth? Look, whatever it is, there's a lot of pointy poo poo.

...Oh, that was easy.

Elothu the Patient. No wonder Alicia doesn't seem to bother him.

Here's the real question; is his associate a being like him, or someone more like Alicia?

I can't read that without hearing Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures.

Though, I don't think Uncle would have blinded us like this.

...I was kinda hopin', yeah.

Then again, Elothu, that was a little sudden.

You could have mentioned that! That is critical, need to know information!

That's easy for you to say!

...Inner and Outer Expanse?

I want to make a Dark Passenger joke, but how long has it been since Dexter was relevant?

Elothu's boost to our strength will be shown off shortly.

And with that, we'll continue on.

And our first charm is gained here! :toot:

That might be a mouth. It looks like it could eat you, at any rate.

Not often you see "fetish" used in that kind of context, but it fits. For those curious, check this link.

Charms occupy an equipment slot, and work like armor.

Oh, we will.

And this is the game's reasoning for why we can't just coat ourselves in charms.

Our first charm isn't terribly impressive, but it is still an upgrade over what we had before.

And as we exit the area...

...We come back to Dottie's house.

Oh, well, when you put it that way, it doesn't sound spooky at all.

Eh, go charging off, enter a sideward dimension, and encounter an eldritch abomination?

Alicia is good people. She's...Rough around the edges, but her heart is in the right place.

Dottie, don't think you have to handle this on your own. This isn't the kind of issue where anyone you know, besides Alicia, has been through it and can offer you advice.

Eh, put your phone on speaker, it'll be fine.

See, this is where some people would have taken the attitude that since they dealt with it on their own, everyone else should have to, too. And that's how an rear end in a top hat thinks.

Well, then, Dottie, if you can't reach Alicia, tell me, who ya gonna call?

Which she's already started to do.

...Dottie, don't call her that.

Thank God, Alicia realized that was a bad idea.

"I bought the house across the street and we're gonna Everybody Loves Raymond this poo poo!"

Huh. I thought she mentioned her car in the first talk with Dottie. I could go edit the first update, but I'll leave it as a monument to me being a moron. :v:

:kimchi:

I think Dottie is a bit of a worrier; remember how she assumed her mom's flight had been hosed?

At the very least, power-walk.

I doubt Alicia would offer if it wasn't, Dots.

And you know, who wouldn't want to help this adorable kid?

Though...I can't imagine Alicia expected this when she rolled into town. Or not-town.

Vedim Space...Expanse...I'll just jot those down to file away in the "What the poo poo is that" list of questions.

Okay, so Vedim Space seems to be some sort of unconscious collection of areas, based on people's minds.

Out of curiosity, I looked up Vedim, to see if it came from something else, and the first result is about veterinary teleradiology. According to Wikipedia, "Teleradiology is the transmission of radiological patient images, such as x-rays, CTs, and MRIs, from one location to another for the purposes of sharing studies with other radiologists and physicians"

I'd be slightly concerned if someone liked the aesthetic of this place, Elothu.

'sup, fuckers?

As it turns out, the jerks we beat up earlier, who ran off, have been waiting for us here.

Alright, we'll turn them to paste this time.

Oh, it runs both ways; we get exp for killing them, and they get it for killing us.

And we can't let that happen, now can we?

...You're a bit of a dick, Elothu.

:swoon: I take it back!

So, it still has the same cooldown and strengths, but now, it'll heal us for half the damage we deal.

It may not be super strong right now, but it'll keep growing in strength as we do, and that 50% of damage healed will always be nice.

We quickly mop them up, for good this time.

The ghost takes the worst of it, and we get a nice boost to our health.

And Alicia gains her first level! :sugartits:

We know they're gone for good this time, as they loving explode instead of running off.

:smugdog:

Well, that's nice and all, but maybe a bit more of a notice?

Or giving us the ability to shoot Hadokens?

But, then again, a boost in power is appreciated. We certainly couldn't absorb health before.

...Oh, gently caress this.

Oh, yeah, next to the creepy--

Thank you! Finally!

:barf:

Oh, look at this guy, he's got a thesaurus!

...Uh, I'm still not convinced.

And don't think I fully trust you yet, either, buddy.

One big gulp later and we're fully healed. Hey, quick question; if status effects disappear after battle, why is this recovering our status?

Oh, yeah, a big ol' drink of giant, mouth in the ground spit, sounds wonderful.

Maybe it's just strawberry milk. That's what I'm going with.

Maybe a little.

I'm still watching you, but maybe you're not so bad.

Oh, thank Christ, we're back into the normal world.

Hold your horses, Alicia; we still don't know where Dottie actually is. I mean, I do, but you don't.

See, the creature from beyond space agrees with me. I've gotta be onto something.

I.e., random encounters.

It's not often you get a good explanation for random encounters.

Or much of an explanation at all, I s'pose.

And Elothu here gives us the reason for why we can tell when we're about to get into a fight.

And there are ways to mitigate the increase of the bar, but we'll get to those when we get to them.

For now, we're going to take a break. Next time, we'll get into Daybreak proper and actually get around to trying to find Dottie. Stay tuned!

braybray
Feb 28, 2021
This game does such a good job of explaining its mechanics, both in and out of character (except maybe the random notes about the enemy types). We'll see more as the game goes on, but there are many welcome innovations on the rpg formula in this that make it so much less of a slog.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Huh, well I'm impressed so far. And I like the dynamic Alicia and our new buddy have going so far. Certainly the nicest thing with an eyeball in its mouth I've ever seen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leave posted:

:black101:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Elothu seems like a good person. Let's hope it stays that way

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021
re: Vedim Space, unity says "It's just something I made up. I just thought it sounded cool." :ms:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Elothu seems nice enough but it's still pretty sketchy that all he's asking for in exchange for Alice's deepest desires and powering her up is to come along for the ride. There's got to be an other shoe to drop with this guy. It might not even be something that will directly impact either Alice or even Dottie, but still this is hella sus.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021
It's interesting seeing how many people feel Elothu's a good guy versus people who are suspicious of him. While writing, I definitely thought I was communicating in one direction, but apparently that was not 100% the case!

And that's all I'll say because I enjoy seeing the impressions and interpretations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I gotta say, I don't normally enjoy horror stuff, but Alicia really makes this for me. I love her attitude! She's no nonsense, and just happy to be here! I get the feeling whatever Eldritch abominations we run into, she'll be ready to just jump in and beat the crap out of them no matter what!

I like that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leave posted:

I picked up the phone and this is who I called.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

itsasooz posted:

It's interesting seeing how many people feel Elothu's a good guy versus people who are suspicious of him. While writing, I definitely thought I was communicating in one direction, but apparently that was not 100% the case!

And that's all I'll say because I enjoy seeing the impressions and interpretations.

I welcome the idea of a friendly eldritch abomination. Just because Elothu's eye is inside a mouth, surrounded by teeth, doesn't mean Elothu's automatically evil. That's profiling.

Maybe Elothu should have lead with "Be not afraid"?

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

FeyerbrandX posted:

I picked up the phone and this is who I called.

This is who I have on speed dial

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Leave posted:

Well, I was going to pick up the phone but. . .

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

NullBlack posted:

I welcome the idea of a friendly eldritch abomination. Just because Elothu's eye is inside a mouth, surrounded by teeth, doesn't mean Elothu's automatically evil. That's profiling.

I'm hopin' he's a cool dude who just wants to get out more.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Four: Mean Streets Of Daybreak

Welcome back, everybody! Last time, we actually made it into the city of Daybreak, after traveling through Vedim Space and making a new friend. Today, we're going to begin our search for Dottie, so let's get crackin'.

So, one thing you'll notice is that there are holes in the road, blocking progress, and an odd bit of graffiti here.

I don't know how long it's been since poo poo went south here in Daybreak, but this place is hosed.

I've been trying to decipher the store name for five minutes, and I've got nothin'.

So, to distract you from that, let's have a fight!

And there's a new enemy! His type is Mystic.

...Yeah, Giger's lightbulb can have a terror ray.

gently caress, did I just really type that?

He also has a rage ray; rage and terror are like...Elements, I guess. Sorrow is another element.

And you'll notice that our Horror Absorb isn't very effective against Mystic type enemies.

However, Lumin Startle will be effective.

Dread is a fun status effect; as it says above, it reduces enemy attack and mind by 25%, which lowers their damage with physical and psychic attacks.

It didn't trigger in this fight, but Panic has a chance of activating, which makes an enemy skip their turn.

I'm not sure if every enemy can do this, but it seems like most of the enemies that use psychic abilities can restore their own PSI when it gets too low.

Shortly after that, Alicia beat the evil lightbulb to death with her trusty bat.

It'll be a little while before our next level, but we'll want to keep racking up those Obols. You'll see why soon enough.

Huh. The terrible things that did this to Daybreak have divvied the town up amongst themselves.

Look, I'm no expert on terrors from beyond the void stealing an entire town, but I'd reckon that most folk here are probably doing much shittier than they were yesterday.

Lemme guess; dead, eaten alive, eaten dead, and stuck eternally in line at Starbucks.

Oh, well, hell, that's better than I expected.

Yeah. Right, forgot about that.

I do not like the way you phrased that.

While those from the Outer, like Elothu here, are content to be along for the ride and help out, those from the Inner like to hop in the driver's seat.

To sum up this conversation, if they're not dead, then there's a chance that they've been possessed by some horrid gently caress.

Eh, if nothing else, it'll be good for the exp. It's been a while since I've done this sort of thing, but I still love me some exp.

If you're that worried about it, El, pitch in a little more. Give Alicia some extra arms, and a bat for each arm. I don't even care if we wind up looking like this guy.

You're one to talk, eye-mouth.

Now, let's get to looting scrounging.

Huh, looking at the label, these were bottled in South Ashfield.

Alicia, I understand taking the health drinks and the coffee, but did you really need to rob the register?

Then again, she did crash her car, and that'll need fixing.

These little wisps tend to be scattered around areas, and they take a good little bit off the encounter bar.

Not that I do a good job of showing that here, but what can I say? I'm kind of an idiot.

:toot:

Well, it's no burger, but it'll do.

We saw this treasure when we first popped in here, and what a treasure it is!

I forget about pogs, too.

Even Alf? He was finally back!

This is one thing I really like about Alicia; she's extremely nice, kind, and a good person, but it doesn't matter who or what you are, she's not taking any of your bullshit.

I have my doubts we'll find somebody who wants this thing, but hey, if you think it's valuable...

The ingredients include low-fat milk, pure cane sugar, vanilla and cocoa flavoring, and a smidge of LSD.

I'd like to point out that it's, seemingly, been only a short time since Dottie cried out for Alicia. Eastholt (where Alicia lives, if you recall) is only about an hour away (or two cartoon shows), and even with getting into a wreck, Alicia didn't seem to have taken too long to reach Daybreak. I'm assuming the psychic cry for help was basically instantaneous, and that Alicia left as soon as possible.

I mention all of that because I want to know, who the gently caress has put up this graffiti and cleared out the convenience store we were just in? It's been a few hours!

Or was Daybreak just a shithole before, and the removal and plunking down of the town didn't affect it all that much?

Not every house or building is boarded up. There are a few buildings that we can enter.

Such as this empty

:stare: the hell is that

Oh, Jesus, it's talking to us!

...Fantastic. Not only we were warped somewhere by the hermit crab of doom, I couldn't .gif that little sequence without it being over 5MB.

So, Daybreak has been taken to a dimension that's kind of...Left of center to normal reality, and now we've been taken to a place that is still adjacent to that.

Elothu might be aware he's in a video game, as he recommends that while we're in here, we loot everything we can. As far as i can tell, these are one time areas, so if we miss something in here, we're not going to be able to get it. I don't think any of them hold anything that is going to shift game balance or anything like that, but these room are rare, and usually have some good swag in them.

Now this is a good item; it's a one-use key for certain rare chests.

And this is a consumable item that increases agility by 2 when used. Alicia scarfs it down (it's coffee flavored!), because Elothu isn't going to eat it.

Just like that, we're back in normal space. Or as normal as this space can be, I guess.

Continuing along the path, you'll notice I'm cutting out encounters.

Unless a new enemy shows up, or I'm showing off a new attack, we'll skip most of the encounters.

I'm not sure if all of the boarded up doors have unique dialog for trying to open them, but I've noticed that most of it seems to be different. It's kind of impressive, really, as I never found a boarded up door that I could open.

It's part of why I really do love this game; it's got a lot of charm and you can tell just a shitload of work was put into it. Even though I'd reckon that most people would stop checking boarded up doors after finding two or three of them that wouldn't open, they still went ahead and added a shitload of dialog.

Speaking of a shitload of dialog...

:allears:

You might recognize this woman from the first update; she was the one who wanted to shove a .45 down someone's throat.

: You wouldn't have anything to do with this assault on good taste, would you?

: No, I just got here. Alicia Copeland's the name.

Maybe I'm spoiling something a bit early, but Miriam is my favorite character.

Harry Alicia wastes no time in trying to find Dottie.

Either Miriam knows something about Dottie, or she's spotted Solid Snake.

Oh, right, that whole thing where you can't leave the town. Or that nobody else remembers it existing.

: There's a way out?! Show me exactly where you came from, right now!

Hey, El, maybe wait a litt--

Or, no, gently caress it, let's just reveal that we've got an extradimensional being chilling with us. That'll be helpful.

She actually takes a full lap around Alicia. It's kind of funny.

Admittedly, this is better than only Alicia being able to hear him.

If nothing else, she won't sound so crazy if she tries to tell anyone else about Elothu.

: Uh...

: Inside my soul? Kind of?

: Broadly speaking, yes.

You could also say, perhaps, that unfortunate things are happening, too.

: Okay, Soul Man, we can't go back the way you two came...what about busting down this offense to eyeballs everywhere?

: While that will not accomplish an escape, I must admit the thought brings me no small amount of inappropriate glee. However, these gates are nearly indestructible, I'm afraid.

: Okay, let's just get to the point: Escape. How?

: It is as I tried to explain before. It would require a considerable output of psychic energy, directed at the border between this town and your former reality, to achieve even a small avenue of escape. As you do not seem to possess any manner of-

: Like how much? Could I do it?

Well, that's interesting.

: What's this babble about psychic stuff?

: I have some psychic things I can do. It's this strange kind of power...I know it's weird, but I've been seeing stuff since I hit puberty.

: ...You're serious?

: You're okay with the crazy monsters and the city being all messed up, but you can't deal with psychic powers?

: ...Point.

Fantastic idea, I love the sound of it, but there's one little catch.

: I'm not leaving without Dottie.

: Dott-? Oh, that kid you were looking for?

Look, Miriam, you're not wrong, but you clearly don't know Alicia.

As until she sees a body, Alicia isn't giving up on her quest.

Though, Miriam does raise a good point here.

However, Elothu can sense the Force bond between the two and Dottie is still alive!

Though, you'd think he could have mentioned that earlier...

: I stick with you, help you find the kid, THEN we escape this hellhole.

You shut your whore mouth, Elothu. Miriam is strong and my friend.

Not to mention, she's armed.

Unfortunately, I possess no artistic ability, otherwise you'd see a picture of Miriam dressed as a cowgirl, twirling six-shooters.

Alicia, you big fuckin nerd

And just like that, we've got a new party member! :sugartits:

Seeing as how she uses a handgun, Miriam can use some special rounds in battle. We'll get more into that discussion when we actually get into combat with Miriam in the party.

What the gently caress kind of word is Fulgham?

Googling it brings up a football player, if you were curious. Or hadn't Googled it yourself.

Not that I'm knocking the idea of a sea monster playground, but who decided for that motif?

Then again, why the hell not? If you're making a park, do something that kids will actually like.

And something that adults like, too.

: You mind if we check in on my friend Viola on the way? Her clinic's out that direction. It shouldn't be much of a sidetrack, as long as the main roads are still there.

Maybe you could have tried a little tact, Alicia.

And that's where we're taking our break for today. We're not very far into Daybreak, but we've encountered creatures that warp us to other dimensions inside of this other dimension, met a new friend, and now have a solid idea of where to start looking for Dottie. Next time, we'll explore some more of the city, so stay tuned!

Leave fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 1, 2021

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So I beat this game on Hard (Bad Dream difficulty). I gotta praise unity's balancing, the difficulty stayed pretty consistent throughout. I had to constant runs back to the fountain, but this is something I emphatically put myself through, I'm doing a second run through on Easy and I am absolutely crushing everything. I don't think I'll ever play on the hardest difficulty though cause...oof.

One thing to note about this area is that the time Alicia is alone is pretty drat dangerous on Hard. Most enemies outspeed her and a few get some real loving mean attacks. I actually game over'd on the first screen due to an unlucky encounter, which felt very SMT.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I really, really like what this game does with the JRPG combat formula. Games are only interesting if you can make informed tactical choices in them, so its approach of clearly laying out the strengths and weaknesses of most enemies, and making them relevant to the vast majority of attacks, is an extremely good and clever one and stops "everybody focus fire on the weakest enemy" from being the optimal choice that it usually is.

The approach to debuffing abilities is really good too. Most JRPG combat has you choose between debuff and damage, so the only enemies you would want to drop a status effect on are boss fights which last long enough -- which tend to be immune to status effects since they'd trivialise the fight. It feels like WaUTaH tends instead to have its debuff abilities be "you do your regular damage, and also slap the enemy with a debuff" which is much more the kind of thing you'd want to use in a regular battle.

E: Informed was the word I wanted to use, not 'relevant'

Whybird fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 1, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Devs: Alicia's grimace when the numbers pop up is hard to notice because it's so brief. How about extending it to the entire attack animation?

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

ultrafilter posted:

Devs: Alicia's grimace when the numbers pop up is hard to notice because it's so brief. How about extending it to the entire attack animation?

Unfortunately, we're not really coders (hence using RPG Maker instead of a more robust engine), so there are a lot of aspects of the game that are there because we're relying on scripts and stuff that other people made, and we don't have the know-how to customize them. We'll try looking into it, but it may just be a thing that would require someone who can speak computar.

I think the reaction animation does last a little longer in-game, it just gets cut off in the gif.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I'll get some shots of the grimaces as best as I can. They're pretty quick, and the number popping up can kind of obscure them. The .gif being so short doesn't help, either, but battle animations are actually pretty speedy!

I was going to post a battle video for the first boss, but if you'd like, I could do one of a regular battle next update.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Found this through the post-your-lp thread, and am enjoying very much! The solid writing and setting have hooked me, and also put another tick in my "get a pc again" column.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Can't wait for sassy gun lady to show what she's got!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

Can't wait for sassy gun lady to show what she's got!

Insert 'gun show' joke here.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Did you draw that? That's fuckin' sweet!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Chapter Five: Beginning Explorations

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, Alicia made a new friend! I apologize for not updating last weekend, but Resident Evil 8 came out and I had to run away from a giant vampire mommy. Today, we're going to move a little more into Daybreak, so let's get crackin'.

Miriam starts at level 2, and with a bit more health than Alicia has.

Let's see, has a gun, no psychic powers, blonde hair...Who does this remind me of?

For her gun, Miriam can use special ammo types to deal extra damage to different types of enemies. Hollow point rounds are extra effective against soft and squishy targets.

While armor piercing rounds can gently caress up armored foes. One thing to remember is that these bullets are limited, so don't go using them all willy-nilly, or else you'll run out. I mean, there's a lot of bullets scattered about the game, but not so many that you can just use them instead of Miriam's regular attack.

Speaking of regular attacks, Miriam's is a bit stronger than Alicia's.

As well as having an attack that will always go first in a battle; it's not as strong, of course, but it is guaranteed to go before just about anything else in battle.

And this is just a deeper look into the actual effects of the different bullets Miriam can use; you'll notice that none of her bullets are effective against spectral type foes. Which makes sense; ghosts don't give a poo poo if you try to shoot them.

Miriam also has a chance to counterattack when she's attacked. In my experiences, it's not a particularly strong attack, but it's better than nothing. When it triggers.

Okay, let's get back to actually playing the game. I know how much you all love status screens, but there comes a time when it's necessary to move on.

Despite knowing better, I still check the doors. There could be one that opens!

I'm going to stay out of that building. The graffiti makes it clear that demon sperms are wandering around in there.

I can't say this with any type of certainty, but I feel like this could be a tenuous reference to Earthbound.

No avoiding the weird red dimension of meat and weirdness! We'll be passing through various aspects of Vedim Space for the whole game.

Yeah, it's an RPG. I'm going to explore every nook and cranny.

: ...Guess we're checking out more creepy places.

Goddamn right we are.

: Yeah, this is Vedim Space, according to Elothu.

: So that wasn't me just losing my drat mind from the trauma earlier.

: Oh, you've been here before?

: Yeah, and I didn't really want to repeat the experience.

: I really can't fathom what you humans find objectionable about it.

: Sorry, Slasher Flick Chic just isn't my thing.

: Let's at least check around a little. I found some good stuff the last time I was here, and we'll need all the supplies we can get.

Miriam, what exactly was your job? Is it stated in-game? Did I miss it?

Alright, this is a good find!

: Should one of you fall to the vermin, the other merely has to break this seal, and your fallen friend will be back on their feet.

No, no, Alicia, Pick-Me-Ups were in a different game I LP'd. But, in essence, a Seal of Life is a Phoenix Down.

Restores a bit more health upon revival than a Phoenix Down, though.

And then notes!

The yellow bar takes much longer to fill up compared to the red bar, which can be very nice.

Oh, yeah, this is a good find.

It's always a good day when I find a way to get stronger. :allears:

Bonded to an Evocation, eh? Sorry, Miriam, looks like you ain't gettin' poo poo.

I think this background is super neat, and I want you all to notice it.

Obols are the more important of the two currencies we acquire; our dollars will be important later on, but obols are the bigger boon. And easier to gain, too, since they drop from every battle.

And we can't just go zoom around to all the best poo poo; we've gotta go on down the line for the good stuff.

So, to sum it up, you have your physical abilities, psychic abilities, and passives.

Hey, if you're hot poo poo out in the Expanse, Elothu, how about tossing me a few obols? No? You four-armed dick.

I wonder what Miriam is seeing when Alicia is in here poking around. Is it a psychic experience for Alicia, or was she actually moved into another space?

I know I just said that you've gotta go on down the line for the good poo poo, but this right here, this is some good poo poo.

35 HP boost is nothing to sneeze at right now, and there are ones to boost PSI as well. Near the end of this part of the skill...Tree? Line? Whatever, at the end of this portion of passives is some real game changing poo poo.

I'm going to level with you, and maybe I was using this skill wrong, but gently caress Batting Stance. It's a good way to get Alicia's face pounded in, but I'm still going to have to pick it up to get to some of the good stuff down there.

Edit: Multiple people have told me that Batting Stance is, actually, good. I guess I didn't give it a fair shake before, so I'll be giving it another shot during this LP.

In my other playthrough, I never picked up this boost to Horror Absorb, and that might have been a mistake. Hitting a weakness and absorbing 80% of the damage could have made life easier in some battles.

Alicia's main type of PSI damage is Terror element, ergo, she can resist that damage type.

But we pick up the regeneration skill. 11% adds up pretty quickly, and we're no longer limited to using items to heal! :sugartits:

We'll be picking this up in the near future, too, as that will give us the ability to hit multiple foes.

For now, though, we've bought everything we can, and there's another note in the room, so let's go check that out.

At times, running can be useful, but it's not a guaranteed success. If you fail to run, you're going to give enemies a chance to ruin your poo poo.

Yeah, we'll find random bullets around in various places throughout the city I like to think that this doesn't have anything to do with the town being hosed by forces outside of space and time, and people just randomly scattered bullets across the city.

Either that, or an ammo fairy came through recently, sprinkling her deadly bounty into the snow, preparing to grow an entire forest of bullet trees.

There are plenty of buildings to loot throughout the city.

Though, who the hell was keeping tally marks in what appears to be blood? What were they counting? It wouldn't make sense if it were days, since Alicia booked it right on over to Daybreak, unless the passage of time in Daybreak was hosed by the movement of the city into the different dimension. Or they were counting the people they saw killed. Or how many bouts of diarrhea they had after eating at Chipotle; it's truly a mystery.

It's going to be a little bit before these items become relevant, but let me tell you, we want as many of these fuckers as we can get. They are extremely important.

This is not quite so important, but still has its uses.

And despite how they should be able to either move or step over some trash bags, Alicia and Miriam refuse to get their hands dirty, and decide the better option is to go south.

Through a tiny little graveyard.

Call me crazy, but if I was in a situation like this, I would do everything in my power to avoid a graveyard. Even if it was just a little one, like this; I know better.

See! I loving told you!

Yeah, that's a goddamned robot. They're just bouncing around town. I don't know why, or where they came from, but Daybreak has been infested with horrors from beyond, and loving robots.

And we're not taking any of this robot's poo poo.

And now, a .gif I spent a half-hour loving around with to get it below the LPix size limit. It's not great, but it gets the job done.

And I did my best to get a shot of the reaction grimaces of them taking damage. The numbers block it pretty well, though, but you can see what's going on.

Speaking of things going on, here's Miriam blowing a robot away with a single bullet. And look at how much damage it did! :swoon:

And then, the reason I'm showing this off, you'll notice the damage numbers look a little different; this is a critical hit, even though I don't think the game ever mentions that they're a possibility. Still, Miriam has been around for ten minutes and has proven her worth as a party member!

Moving along, we come in to a...Wrecked store? I'm not sure what the hell this building is supposed to be.

Money don't matter? What if it feels for you?

:krakentoot:

Somebody dropped a jar of jam!

Who is that message for? Who would possibly be happy about this?

This might lead you to believe that this door is important somehow.

Yeah, it's not. Just an extra bit of dialog for a locked door.

Don't get me wrong, I love that the doors have plenty of dialog for them being locked, but sometimes, it feels like effort put into a weird spot? Or maybe the writer just smoked a bowl and decided to write out two hundred and fifteen different bits of locked door dialog.

Hey, wait, he's reading this thread. Writer guy, address my point above!

If I stop updating, it's because he didn't address my point above and instead had me sent to Vedim Space, where I'll be eaten for eternity by some horrific monster.

I also love all the various bits of graffiti. It adds an extra bit of oomph to the town.

Seriously, if you're not paying attention to it, check out the buildings. There's a bunch of different stuff to read, and some of it is relevant in ways you might not yet realize!

Alright, thirteen bucks! Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I don't think I used many Seals of Life when I first played, but it seems like the game was pretty generous with them.

I just picked up one of those blue wisps in this shot, if you were wondering why there's a bright patch.

There are various types of food bars that raise different stats. This one, obviously, raises attack power.

I gave it to Alicia, for a reason I can't recall right now.

I really like this interaction between these two; it reminds me of a skit from a Tales game.

: Your lucky outfit. Is a baseball uniform.

: Of course!

: And then WOOSH! The energy just surges up your spine and swing and CRACK!

: It's like you're not really alive until then, you know?

: Hm...I...guess?

Oddly enough, thinking about it, even though Miriam mentions hunting here, I'm pretty sure she only ever uses pistols in combat.

: A little, yeah.

It's also this point that I realized there's something I missed showing you guys!

We need to go further south!

As there's an odd door over there...

We'll be back later for this door, but it is well worth opening.

And when Elothu pops up to tell you something is important, it's probably important.

The billboard being damaged doesn't help, but that is a face I just do not trust.

And the graffiti artist down there has his priorities straight. And if that's a reference to something else, I don't know what the hell it is.

Better than the lame-o End Times guy who tagged to the left. C'mon, don't be so generic. You've got a chance to tag whatever you want! Get creative with it!

Alright, another place where we can go relax and--

what in the hell is that

OH GOD MIRIAM SHOOT IT SHOOT IT

NO DON'T START A DIALOG WITH IT JUST SHOOT IT AND BEAT IT

Ooh, someone is showing off their purple prose.

Yet more evidence as to why Alicia is awesome. She's just so casual!

Eh, I'm not worried about that. We've got an eldritch abomination tagging along on our soul.

I have no idea, but it has hosed off, despite my instructions to wreck its poo poo.

For added fun, whenever Elothu is speaking, imagine he speaks like a Southern plantation owner.

Personally, I hear every bit of his dialog as Foghorn Leghorn, which is a :allears: way to go about it.

Y'know, I'm starting to miss just having an inn to stay at.

And this is true. They're pretty generous with the items in this game, and since they're percentage based, they'll always have some level of utility.

I haven't shown many fights this update, but we've gained enough obols to pick up another skill.

And now we're potentially able to hit multiple enemies! When it says that it damages enemies in a small area, it means it; if the enemies aren't close enough together, Elothu's Gaze will only hit one enemy. They're kind of like certain Techs in Chrono Trigger.

This is another very solid skill that we'll be picking up soon. We can't spam it every turn, but it doesn't cost much to use and is a welcome boost.

On that note, we're going to end this update. Next time, we'll continue our search for Dottie, and we'll get ever closer to making actual progress on that front. Stay tuned!

Leave fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 16, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hmmmm... is it hard to return to a Skill Tree Access Thingy most of the time? Forgive my young, unstimulated mind but that seems like the kind of thing that really should be accessible through a menu instead of having to walk all the way back to the Red Room of Meaty Pain.

Also, is Alicia the only one who gets skill tree perks or will Miriam get one eventually

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Wouldn't surprise me if Dottie is the party member we get later that has PSI abilities to restore. But just finding her is one thing, getting her the hell out of here is probably going to be quite another.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is that a Target?

quote:

No ring.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leave posted:

For added fun, whenever Elothu is speaking, imagine he speaks like a Southern plantation owner.

Elothu is FFX Anima in a Colonel Sanders suit, got it.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

Leave posted:

Miriam, what exactly was your job? Is it stated in-game? Did I miss it?

Miriam's job was ostensibly secretary to the mayor but he was a really lovely boss so her job ended up being "do whatever I feel like assigning you."

quote:

Don't get me wrong, I love that the doors have plenty of dialog for them being locked, but sometimes, it feels like effort put into a weird spot? Or maybe the writer just smoked a bowl and decided to write out two hundred and fifteen different bits of locked door dialog.

I don't remember who came up with the idea of multiple responses. It was probably me, because I'm one of those people who likes to examine everything in games so it's fun when there's a variety of things.

Later on when there are a lot of different doors, it stops being dependent on individual doors and instead becomes a rotation of canned responses. :eng101:

quote:

And the graffiti artist down there has his priorities straight. And if that's a reference to something else, I don't know what the hell it is.

The "Has anyone seen" graffiti is fun because it'll display different names randomly. Like a lot of the graffiti, it's references to people who helped out with the game or who are just part of the RPG Maker hobbyist community.

quote:

I wrote him thinking British Empire aristocrat, but this is equally valid and much funnier.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Elothu is FFX Anima in a Colonel Sanders suit, got it.

To learn the 11 herbs and spices is to know true madness. Delicious, deep fried madness.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Quickshot is useless on easy and normal but is invaluable on hard and up where poo poo constantly outspeeds you.

I basically never upgraded Terror Grasp, I found that either I did enough damage that healing for 50% was enough or that the enemy was resistant to it so I should reach for heals elsewhere. Pass, imo.

quote:

I'm going to level with you, and maybe I was using this skill wrong, but gently caress Batting Stance. It's a good way to get Alicia's face pounded in, but I'm still going to have to pick it up to get to some of the good stuff down there.

It's fine when you get some of the later skills, but the issue is that you won't have those skills for a while. A tanky charm and HP boosts help as well, but well those also don't come until later. In any event, even beyond that, its cooldown is too drat long to be useful since it's ostensibly supposed to be a cover ability you use at the start of your turn.

Junpei posted:

Hmmmm... is it hard to return to a Skill Tree Access Thingy most of the time? Forgive my young, unstimulated mind but that seems like the kind of thing that really should be accessible through a menu instead of having to walk all the way back to the Red Room of Meaty Pain.

They come up often enough that it's not an issue. You won't return very often because you'll prob be lacking Obels. The Obel economy in this game has some...issues imo.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'm a few hours further (learned about and picked this game due to this LP) on Hard, and so far Batting Stance has been a godsend. I've tanked up Alicia a bit with equipment and with the cheap regen skill I usually end random battles hp/psi positive.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So are we paying Elothu to use the skills? I'd imagine that's why he doesn't give us free cash.

I assume he wants to get to Earth for...reasons?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

They come up often enough that it's not an issue. You won't return very often because you'll prob be lacking Obels. The Obel economy in this game has some...issues imo.

Is there a refund option where you can reset all your skills if you wanna try something new?

Also... does that mean it's impossible to max out Alicia (and/or everyone else's) skills?

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

Junpei posted:

Is there a refund option where you can reset all your skills if you wanna try something new?

Also... does that mean it's impossible to max out Alicia (and/or everyone else's) skills?

I watched one insane LPer who actually maxed everyone's skill trees out. It just requires grinding.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

itsasooz posted:

I watched one insane LPer who actually maxed everyone's skill trees out. It just requires grinding.

You know, I wouldn't even mind that. I love skill trees in games, but I hate when you can't even theoretically max them out, i.e. how in Dragon Quest 11 you can nearly max everyone by getting them to level 99, but to get the last few skills you have to grind for seeds of skill.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Hell yeah this game slaps from start to finish. I hope you do link the OST at some point though, it's slappers through and through (one of the tracks is written by the creator of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, even!).

I do enjoy how wildly skills change characters, I can confirm that 80% HP drain attack is bonkers and is huge fun with Alicia's physical skills.

I cannot hear Elothu as anything but Liam O'Brien (Grimoire Weiss, to be precise)

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I guess I used her counter skill at a bad time, considering more than one person has told me it's good. I'll play with it a bit during this run, see if my opinion changes.

And I'm going to do something with the soundtrack. I've gotta bother Sooz about it to find out which songs play where, as it is an excellent soundtrack.