Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Back in August 2019 one of my gun friends worked out a deal for me to get a HK416 build. This is what theirs looked like:

I was interested, but I didn't have the at the time. Eventually I saved up the funds, but by then he sold the gun. Being the bro that he is, he offered to source parts and help me build a similar unit at cost. First was the upper receiver & barrel, which by themselves (usually $3k+) was a steal of a price for what I eventually spent on it. All it took was hitting his contacts in local Oregon militias to get the parts...

The lower was a bit more of a challenge, but he had a contact at Radian Weapons (local Oregon company!) and was able to score me a blem. Yeah, it's not a Heckler & Koch, but IMO this was a superior choice to build this project. Biggest selling point was the ambidextrous controls as I'm a sinister shooter (not to be confused with a Sinistral Rifleman). I mean, I could get an HK416A5 lower which is also fully ambidextrous, but finding one in the US is... difficult.

I finally get my barrel and notice something... different about it. Apparently the barrel I got was from the Brownells special edition 416 uppers, which didn't include a barrel index pin. Brownells didn't sell them separately either.

Lucky for me I got some machinist/fabricator friends so with a couple measurements, they build me a basic pin tab. When the barrel nut is affixed, everything is rock-solid.

That 416 quad rail is ugly, so I got something a lot more slick & hot (and something that helps fulfil my Delta/CAG fantasies). Geissele SMR rail, PEQ-15, Midwest Industries front sight, Surefire M300V with Arisaka mount & matching handstop, and Surefire D-IT-07/DS00 proves I hate money.

Nothing like a Count Blemula from Geissele to help assuage the guilt of going on this project.

Build partway there. Since I spent all my money on the EOTech EXPS 3-4, G33 magnifier, and Unity FAST mounts, I couldn't afford a basic vacuum cleaner for my carpet.

Noticed the pistol brace? I figured shorties are the new hotness so I sent the barrel to Nefarious Arms to get it cut down. Getting it in 11.5" had me ahead of the curve, as the latest HK416A5's are now available in that length. The Vltor A5 buffer system would help a lot with felt recoil too.

More parts while I waited for the barrel to be cut. Barrel nut, piston, and gas block.

The most difficult thing to source: the bolt carrier group. It only came in about November 2020...

...And I noticed something off. On the left is the BCG, bolt, and firing pin from my Block II AR-15. On the right is the same but from my 416. See how the firing pin is sticking further out?

The firing pin on my 416 was not to spec. Luckily HKParts replaced it free of charge (minus shipping ).

https://i.imgur.com/VG5SAmX.mp4
Now the system cycles correctly. Thanks to Off Color Decals for the dust cover.

Unfortunately, my initial test firing had issues with failures to eject spent brass. Figured out that my gas port was the older 1.3mm and with a vented gas block, I had a local smith open it up to 1.6mm. Now it chugs along fine. I did remove the firing pin safety so that I can run a Geissele B-GRF Rapid Fire Trigger, though I'm tempted to drop in an SSA I recently picked up...

To help mitigate recoil I opted for the Surefire SOCOM Warcomp CTN, mainly for the coolguy CAG factor again. What can I say? I got dumb cloner boner running in my veins. It's worth it though...

...As it allows me to mount a SOCOM 300 SPS. As for my PEQ-15 changing colors, funny story: I traded my FDE one to another guy in Alaska for his black one, and mine got lost in the mail. I was able to source another PEQ-15 (thanks, Instagram raffles!) so I'm back to being able to shoot at night. Funny enough, the FAST magnifier mount & G33 sit very low, which meant finding a BUIS that could fit underneath was a challenge. Lucky for me the Magpul MBUS Pro's fit underneath when the magnifier is stowe, unlike the KAC 600m micro or the HK 416 3mm BUIS (ask me how I know). No, I can't utilize my BUIS unless I strip off both the EXPS 3-4 or the G33, but I'm of the school of "If you don't have backup sights you're DEAD IN THE STREETS!"

Happy 416 day, Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Wow.

BTW what's that muzzle device on the one in the first pic?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I had to look it up & Google says it's a Walker Defense Research NERO Hybrid Muzzle Brake.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Very nice build.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo what a journey

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

That was a roller coaster ride. The finished product is fantastic.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I just noticed I didn't set the thread tag to "box" so it's stuck with "poo poo post."

Mods please help an idiot goon fix this.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thank you. May your house be prosperous & bountiful.