Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I mean Germany eventually got better after a occupation and reconstruction effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean Germany eventually got better after a occupation and reconstruction effort.

Well they already have a wall, though I suspect that will be more like a Maginot Line.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm really curious about what defenses they have against the 86's specifically. overall their actual military is not very impressive, so it would be strange if on this matter alone they were perfectly effective.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm really curious about what defenses they have against the 86's specifically. overall their actual military is not very impressive, so it would be strange if on this matter alone they were perfectly effective.

Near as I can tell, they fortified the borders of their country and then put the 86 enclave outside as bait and a distraction. So they're equally well-defended against the Legion and their own slave-soldiers, because they're using the same defences against both.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

This was posted way early in the thread and seems like it would be effective enough

Preechr posted:

This isn’t really a spoiler, but to be safe the republic has three major things they have control of to protect themselves from their slave soldiers. First, there is a massive gently caress-you minefield between the worthless ubermensch and the helots, which they do not have the equipment to clear. Second, the republic has total control over the 86’s logistics and can cut off their supply of ammunition, fuel, and food at any time. Last, the republic has massive batteries of artillery that are theoretically for supportive fire against the Legion but practically for erasing the 86 if they get uppity, particularly if they’re bogged down in the aforementioned minefield.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
They're also probably able to implicitly hold the 86 civilian non-fighting population hostage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

They're also probably able to implicitly hold the 86 civilian non-fighting population hostage.

I thought those were also in the enclave beyond the walls, to make the bait more enticing and keep the soldiers from abandoning their posts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Was browsing twitter today and it just clicked for me that the cat might be a lovecraft reference. Clever if true.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
drat this was the Madoka episode.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

drat this was the Madoka episode.

I'd actually known about this episode's reveals early, but it was still delivered so well.

It's poetic, really. The Republic is going to be devoured by the ghosts of the people they left to die.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was super strongly implying the commander is Undertaker's brother, right?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sindai posted:

That was super strongly implying the commander is Undertaker's brother, right?

I'm pretty sure they were quite explicit about it, at the end of last episode I think even.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I normally tend to get huffy about sudden introduction of ESP into otherwise relatively scifi-oriented military series, but I'll allow it this time because it's kind of awesome in the foreboding doom sense

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

I normally tend to get huffy about sudden introduction of ESP into otherwise relatively scifi-oriented military series, but I'll allow it this time because it's kind of awesome in the foreboding doom sense

If you want there's always a science fiction explanation that I'm sure could work.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I appreciate that Lena has developed enough sense to immediately take back her comment on being "Right there with you" after the past two episodes. If she had let that sit I would of questioned any development she's had.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’m sure it has something to do with pararaid given all the dead people had them, their brains are used to pilot mechs and they’re integrated into their nervous system

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think we've determined the Legion are in fact Necroids

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Lena's flashback wasn't surprising, per se, but it did do a very solid job of explaining why she is who she is.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
So they’re gonna defeat the legion THEN kill the nazis in the second cour right

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is just my personal speculation, but I have a hard time imagining the Major is going to convince the other blue goobers that there's enough of a real threat to do anything (they're not going to take an 86's word for it). She's probably going to need to start thinking in terms of how she can keep Undertaker's squad supplied enough to survive so that they can come and rescue her when poo poo hits the fan (or alternately, link up with them and then find a way to keep them supplied)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I imagine she tries to convince her Uncle that there's a Big Problem but his hands are tied without proof, so she works with them to get them proof; and maybe they also have to do a coup to oust the Nazi's in the government to restore the rights of the 86 and mobilize the Albans to reinforce them.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
The reason the war is definitely not going to end in 2 years being robot zombie AI was not something on my bingo card, but I am very in

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raenir Salazar posted:

I imagine she tries to convince her Uncle that there's a Big Problem but his hands are tied without proof, so she works with them to get them proof; and maybe they also have to do a coup to oust the Nazi's in the government to restore the rights of the 86 and mobilize the Albans to reinforce them.

I'm really curious how pervasive the public indoctrination about "the 86s are subhuman" is at this point. It hasn't been that long since they were stripped of their rights, like not even a full generation, so I imagine the older people remember when the 86s were just normal citizens. The fact that the government propaganda makes it a point to continually refer to the spidermechs as "unmanned drones" suggests that the general public isn't clued in on the specifics of what's happening, which means that some kind of big reveal moment to the general public similar to what Lena did in the classroom might be in order.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Kanos posted:

I'm really curious how pervasive the public indoctrination about "the 86s are subhuman" is at this point. It hasn't been that long since they were stripped of their rights, like not even a full generation, so I imagine the older people remember when the 86s were just normal citizens. The fact that the government propaganda makes it a point to continually refer to the spidermechs as "unmanned drones" suggests that the general public isn't clued in on the specifics of what's happening, which means that some kind of big reveal moment to the general public similar to what Lena did in the classroom might be in order.

coulda swore they said like... 7 years or some poo poo which is wildly fast lol but then again nazis worked quick too and didn't all live in one big megacity thing

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tabletops posted:

coulda swore they said like... 7 years or some poo poo which is wildly fast lol but then again nazis worked quick too and didn't all live in one big megacity thing

Yeah I was going to say we have examples in WWII of populations turning on a minority that has been declared to be the enemy of the state.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think we can safely assume that the formal, legalised disenfranchisement and ethnic cleansing of the Eighty-Sixers wasn't where this all kicked off, but the product of decades of prejudice and discrimination.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tabletops posted:

I think it's only the upper classes and government/military folks that live in the big pretty megacity, since they call it "district 1" and there's apparently 84 other districts inside the wall.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
I figured she'll start with asking her military brainologist pal a weird hypothetical.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ooh I bet Her Dad got Brain'ed and is one of those Shepard commander AI's they talked about. He mentioned they needed a fully intact brain to make them, and they conspicuously made sure to hide his head from the camera during the flashback.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I get that this show is trying to say something about the civilian/military divide, and that the fake the soldiers in the imperial core are, but this state is too stupid and irrational to exist. Swarms of killer robots that kicked your rear end in the past and forced you to retreat behind fortifications and write off huge chunks of your workforce and tax base... are perfectly capable of breaking through your buffer zones and fortifications. You should be monitoring absolutely everything. Who the gently caress is at the wheel?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I get that this show is trying to say something about the civilian/military divide, and that the fake the soldiers in the imperial core are, but this state is too stupid and irrational to exist. Swarms of killer robots that kicked your rear end in the past and forced you to retreat behind fortifications and write off huge chunks of your workforce and tax base... are perfectly capable of breaking through your buffer zones and fortifications. You should be monitoring absolutely everything. Who the gently caress is at the wheel?

They think they only have to hold out for two years, and the Eighty-Sixers beyond the walls will serve as a distraction. It's dumb and racist, but... well... look at some of the national policy decisions around the world over the past year.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
States mismanage crises, including existential ones, all the time even without being brain poisoned by racism and fascism.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I wanna know where the gently caress is the rest of the world in all this. Is this entire fictional planet just these two nations?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TowerofOil posted:

I wanna know where the gently caress is the rest of the world in all this. Is this entire fictional planet just these two nations?

Probably also dealing with Germany's the Empire's swarm of autonomous killer robots. Basically treat the positioning as if San Magnolia is Vichy France and the Empire is Germany. There might be other countries, but the Republic more or less ends up geographically isolated from everyone besides the Empire.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kirtar posted:

Probably also dealing with Germany's the Empire's swarm of autonomous killer robots. Basically treat the positioning as if San Magnolia is Vichy France and the Empire is Germany. There might be other countries, but the Republic more or less ends up geographically isolated from everyone besides the Empire.

That, or they're just telling everyone else 'gently caress off, it's fine, we've got this covered'.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
They don't seem to have a very good picture of what the Legion is doing very far past their borders, so I figured the idea was that the Legion had cut communications lines, shot down satellite launches, etc., leaving San Magnolia isolated. Also autarkism goes with racism, like, it could just be that they don't care for other countries and other countries don't care for them.

Phobophilia posted:

Drunks and people who think they're smarter than they are, it seems like? They've convinced themselves that the Legion is stupid and ultimately doomed, same as they've convinced themselves non-Albans are not humans, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Syritta fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 11, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

They have what they believe is a complete picture of what the Legion are capable of, both technologically and strategically, and have built all of their plans and assumptions around that intel being both completely correct and also immutable. The assumption everyone is running on is that the Legion are basically factory machines running off a constant program until they run out of juice. Their current plan and approach has proven to be sufficient for dealing with the Legion operating within the limitations they believe it has.

I don't think anyone in the Republic has even conceived of the idea that the Legion might be smart enough to modify themselves, let alone adapt and develop new strategies - Lena seems to be extremely smart, extremely studious(she constantly reads and tabulates reports to try to find more efficient tactics and strategies), and extremely open to unorthodox ideas, and even she was completely blindsided by the very concept. This is exacerbated by the fact that monitoring the Legion is pretty difficult - those clouds of tiny robots both obscure sight and also jam communications, so I imagine it's pretty hard to get intel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

They have what they believe is a complete picture of what the Legion are capable of, both technologically and strategically, and have built all of their plans and assumptions around that intel being both completely correct and also immutable. The assumption everyone is running on is that the Legion are basically factory machines running off a constant program until they run out of juice. Their current plan and approach has proven to be sufficient for dealing with the Legion operating within the limitations they believe it has.

I don't think anyone in the Republic has even conceived of the idea that the Legion might be smart enough to modify themselves, let alone adapt and develop new strategies - Lena seems to be extremely smart, extremely studious(she constantly reads and tabulates reports to try to find more efficient tactics and strategies), and extremely open to unorthodox ideas, and even she was completely blindsided by the very concept. This is exacerbated by the fact that monitoring the Legion is pretty difficult - those clouds of tiny robots both obscure sight and also jam communications, so I imagine it's pretty hard to get intel.

Further, most of the intel they do get reinforces the existing theories. It's only Shin having spooky ghost powers that lets anyone know what's really going on.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is this why the previous officers killed themselves? It's vaguely lovecraftian. Learning information they weren't mean to know or weren't able to handle all at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is this why the previous officers killed themselves? It's vaguely lovecraftian. Learning information they weren't mean to know or weren't able to handle all at once?

I imagine it's pretty traumatic to suddenly hear hundreds to thousands of tortured voices screaming their final words before their violent death over and over constantly. I doubt any of them learned *why* those voices exist, since they say no one ever called back after hearing the voices for the first time and none of the officers assigned to Shin before gave a poo poo about 86s.