Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Decent episode.

Too bad it looks like no one from the other countries will be joining in on this operation.

I mean, they will, because the plan requires a massive general offensive as a distraction. It's just that the anti-Morpho kill-team will presumably be mainly or exclusively Giadian (seeing as it's probably going to be tricky to physically transport anyone from any other countries over to join in the airdrop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This show's slice of life stuff sucks and it's impressive how much the quality shifts between when it goes into talking about military operations (and/or showing them) and when it spends 30 minutes doing nothing, because all the character work that matters happens in or around said military operations

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
That's a take.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
k

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jen X posted:

This show's slice of life stuff sucks and it's impressive how much the quality shifts between when it goes into talking about military operations (and/or showing them) and when it spends 30 minutes doing nothing, because all the character work that matters happens in or around said military operations

Next you're gonna tell me Frederica is annoying.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

We haven't had any plot progression since they arrived at the Federacy at the start of the season. It took them half the season to get back on track and now we're finally going into the heart of Legion territory and might finally learn stuff.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Moofia Boss Val posted:

We haven't had any plot progression since they arrived at the Federacy at the start of the season. It took them half the season to get back on track and now we're finally going into the heart of Legion territory and might finally learn stuff.

Advancing the "plot" isn't the sole purpose of a story. There was considerable narrative that has been ongoing the entire time including fairly substantial plot developments, like the deteriorating situation in San Magnolia. Just because the story isn't a linear progression of checkboxes for the main characters in relation to the conclusion of the story (not that we even know if the story remotely concludes this season!) doesn't mean the story hasn't be humming along. Treating the story as just plot progression got us Season 8 of Game of Thrones. Do you think Season 8 of GoT was good because it advanced the plot?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Some people got a preference for stories that are told like a Wikipedia plot summary

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Treating this show like the only meaningful character development happens during the short and infrequent battles is almost as weird as disliking a show for not strictly following the critical path to reach the end as quickly as possible

Fredericka is significantly less annoying than I feared. I'm still not really pumped when she shows up on screen though

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ah, a good ol' (episode)ekranoplan to spirit them to their doom in the fight against the Morpho.

I really like these vehicles (episode)the Soviets actually used them during the cold war, though pretty much always over the water rather than over land, as they do in this episode

They don't really get into it in this episode, but, (technically LN background stuff, but not plot stuff)they don't really have much of an air force left not just because a lot of planes were stationed nearer the borders and were taken by the Legion, but because the smallest legion, Eintagsfliege, which have the primary role of spitting out a ton of interference to block comms for humanity, also serve double duty as the Legion Air Force and are extremely effective in downing humanity's planes by suiciding into the air inlets of attacking aircraft. They've essentially not made any new aircraft (besides helicopters for cargo transport behind the lines) since the start of the war because they are such effective anti-aircraft weapons. This ekranoplan is one of the few aircraft that can transport over a long distance not only because its fast, but because it can avoid being detected by the Eintagsfliege before it arrives at its destination by flying so low.

Also, (episode)
it's cannon that magical girl anime exists in this univerese.

Also, episode 19 has been delayed until Dec 4th. Next week is a "special episode" which I presume to mean either a recap episode or some special content they had planned for the blu ray. Dec 11 is also a break (though this was planned long ago and probably isn't due to any production issues) Sounds like they are having some production problems on the show, but I'm glad they are still taking the time to get the episodes done right rather than making GBS threads out garbage like Spider anime did last season.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 20, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This series is really hitting a lot of high notes. I'm worried for our characters. :ohdear:

Especially since Not only does the Alliance's diversion attack seem like to not be going well, but it seems like the Morpho has a poo poo tonne of Legion still guarding it. I was hoping that maybe the Legion are better on the attack then on the defence and maybe that's even true but it seems like they have the lethality and numbers to withstand Giad and Co's attack.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A nice episode, and no signs of poor quality that the weeks off due to production troubles might have otherwise have portended.

The scooby gang Episode technically succeed in destroying the Morpho that was previously damaged by the airstrike, only to discover that the Legion had swapped out the CPU into another backup Morpho and it makes off deeper into Legion territory. The 86 take off on pursuit.
The Federancy do achieve their original goal of advancing to the rail terminus that the Morpha was held at, but the 86 had to advance beyond that in pursuit. There is now no way for them return back to human held territory if they succeed in taking out the Morpho.
We find out Frederica stowed away in Fido and is now deep in Legion territory with the 86. Shin gives her his gun to kill herself if they wiped out. Hope she doesn't have to use it!

Lena does does not make an appearance

Next week is another break (though it was scheduled at the start of the cour, so not production related). That is (hopefully) the final break until the end of the season.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is this batch also 11 episodes?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Is this batch also 11 episodes?

12 episodes. We have 4 left unaired and the last one should air on Jan 8.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is probably my anime of the year honestly.

It's a relief that apparently either because of the 86 gang mocking up behind the front lines or because the offencive did have some ompf to it but its neat that the Alliance has actually managed to advance; I liked the idea initially this season that they were much more competently fighting the Legion and even making counterattacks and occasionally retaking territory, perhaps fighting the main brunt of the enemy Legion as San Magnolia wasn't all that much of an issue beyond the janissaries.

The scene with the giant aircraft crashing into the trees was potentially a really great scene, the problem of course being it was hard to see with the black background, I had to pause and rewatch to catch exactly what happened after the 86 were airdropped. Maybe it should've been reflecting more moon light or something to make it more clearly outlined?

Earlier I had remarked that due to the show's generally groundedness that going deep behind enemy lines was ludicrous and I shall eat my words a bit but in my defence the series has actually I think made a great deal of effort to establish how risky this plan is, and how many gears have to be spinning just right for it to work out at all; from the coordinated joint counter offensive from the Alliance to having a special transport aircraft, more advanced mechas and the Legion doing the supervillain thing of dismissing them and turning around (and the Legion High Command AI directly ordering Kiri the killbot to chill.

It also seems like some of the rest of Shin's squadron might have made it back to the main army? Did I interpret that right when we saw the damaged juggernaught with the dude sitting outside of it exhausted looking? Series is giving me major hope vibes and I hope they don't betray me! :ohdear:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man that episode felt 5 minutes long.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raenir Salazar posted:

It also seems like some of the rest of Shin's squadron might have made it back to the main army? Did I interpret that right when we saw the damaged juggernaught with the dude sitting outside of it exhausted looking? Series is giving me major hope vibes and I hope they don't betray me! :ohdear:
[/spoiler]

I figured that was Grethe's since we know she had one in the ekranoplan

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sort of, it's more that they held the line until the main force from the Alliance could reach the city to relieve them.

You can see in the end of the episode when the alliance's forces have setup camp that they've taken the city that Shin and his team were fighting in.

Also, Fredrica in her royal cape is very cute.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is there any explanation for why the Federacy's comms work fine without the whole psychic thing?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mordja posted:

So is there any explanation for why the Federacy's comms work fine without the whole psychic thing?

They are using para-raid for comms. They reverse engineered the tech from the stuff the 86 had on them when they recovered them. The “earpieces” are their version of it.

Edit: if you look closely you’ll notice they don’t actually have a speaker in their ear on the earpieces.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 5, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, 'Juggernaut' seems to refer to a specific San Magnolian design of spider-tank (a type of vehicle which Giad calls a Feldreß). The Reginleif (single-seater, high-agility, white) and Vanagandr (two-seater, big and tough, black) are two models of Giadian Feldreß. So, a Juggernaut is a Feldreß, and a Reginleif is also a Feldreß, but a Reginleif is not a Juggernaut.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I suddenly now find it more understandable now the way Reporters and media people just call all vehicles "tanks" :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

For the record, 'Juggernaut' seems to refer to a specific San Magnolian design of spider-tank (a type of vehicle which Giad calls a Feldreß). The Reginleif (single-seater, high-agility, white) and Vanagandr (two-seater, big and tough, black) are two models of Giadian Feldreß. So, a Juggernaut is a Feldreß, and a Reginleif is also a Feldreß, but a Reginleif is not a Juggernaut.

The issue here is that Shin calls the Reginleifs Juggernauts, and no-one has had much luck in arguing with him so far.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chiasaur11 posted:

The issue here is that Shin calls the Reginleifs Juggernauts, and no-one has had much luck in arguing with him so far.

Yeah see that exchange he had with Grethe about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, yeah, they're based on the San Magnolian Juggernaut-class Feldreß. They're Juggernauts, but actually good.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, yeah, they're based on the San Magnolian Juggernaut-class Feldreß. They're Juggernauts, but actually good.

But still aluminum coffins.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This show is awesome, and each episode goes by way too quick.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I know it's a bit gauche to ask for novel spoilers but is the Legion commander that Nanny Knight was chatting with someone of importance to the story that we already know about, or someone who will probably come up later?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

I know it's a bit gauche to ask for novel spoilers but is the Legion commander that Nanny Knight was chatting with someone of importance to the story that we already know about, or someone who will probably come up later?

Anime only watcher: I can only speculate it’s Lena's dad since we are getting military like orders and it would generate free drama

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

No Face has (just anime content)the same VA as Lena's father, though we don't know anything beyond that meta information outside of the story. It’s not unusual for VA’s to play more than one character so it may not mean anything.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 6, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The railgun shot with the leading EMP was so drat cool. It reminded me of the Ramiel fights in Eva where there's all of these little details showing the absurd scale of everything involved.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Coxswain Balls posted:

The railgun shot with the leading EMP was so drat cool. It reminded me of the Ramiel fights in Eva where there's all of these little details showing the absurd scale of everything involved.

Honestly this is the kind of series that I would call "Good Tom Clancey", like all of these lovingly detailed weapon systems, spider mechas, submunitions, its all wonderful extremely my poo poo but without all the weirdo bullshit of having to read Tom Clancy.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
the railgun shot effects are amazing holy crap

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

Honestly this is the kind of series that I would call "Good Tom Clancey", like all of these lovingly detailed weapon systems, spider mechas, submunitions, its all wonderful extremely my poo poo but without all the weirdo bullshit of having to read Tom Clancy.

They're really well done but for the life of me I just can't get into the spider mechs. To me they're all kind of samey, which wouldn't be an issue if they had some personality. At first I thought it was because I don't like spider bots as much as humanoid mecha, but I love the Tachikoma in GitS which are brimming with character. Fido is the only one I actually remember in this show for the same reason.

All the other equipment and technical details the show does is right up my alley, though. It's a big part of why Full Metal Panic is one of my favorites and this show manages to do things similarly on that front.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

No Face has (just anime content)the same VA as Lena's father, though we don't know anything beyond that meta information outside of the story. It’s not unusual for VA’s to play more than one character so it may not mean anything.

As for who No Face is at present, we already know as anime watchers that he's the supreme military commander of the Legion. For all practical intents and purposes, he's the current main villain of the story.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Coxswain Balls posted:

They're really well done but for the life of me I just can't get into the spider mechs. To me they're all kind of samey, which wouldn't be an issue if they had some personality. At first I thought it was because I don't like spider bots as much as humanoid mecha, but I love the Tachikoma in GitS which are brimming with character. Fido is the only one I actually remember in this show for the same reason.

All the other equipment and technical details the show does is right up my alley, though. It's a big part of why Full Metal Panic is one of my favorites and this show manages to do things similarly on that front.

Weird, to my mind the spider bots exude a lot of personality; a lot more in movement and combat than Kumoko did in Spider so what. :(

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im kinda in the no-personality camp. They just appear like soulless tanks on legs to me. But I kinda like that. Not every anime with roberts needs to make them be characters in their own right.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
It feels like VOTOMS or Armored Core to me, where the machines are meant as nothing more than tools of war and the most personality they have are their emblems. I dig it personally, but I can also understand people who want a little more out of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They remind me more of X-Wings in Star Wars. They aren't that individually distinctive (beyond their unique weapon loadouts), but they're clearly recognisable collectively as hero machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
IDK about you guys but I can tell who's who by their loadouts and piloting styles. The animation team actually put a lot of effort into this - don't dismiss it just because each mech isn't color coded like they're power rangers.