Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It's telling that the other 18 page thread arguing over the right way to grill and smoke only has like 2 pictures of food because actually cooking food and enjoying it would probably take time away from posturing on the internet.

I'd like to make a smoker thread for the smoking proles that enjoy buying meat, smoking it, and eating it. Take some pictures, show us what you got. Any secret tips? Personally, I got my smoker around some sales last father's day and use it p much at least once a week, usually twice. I tend to do a big thing on the weekend that'll give me leftovers all week such as briskets, pork shoulders, and turkey breasts as well as smaller stuff like wings/thighs for a nice quick dinner in the middle of the week.

For p much all of the big cuts I do an overnight "dry brine" first, which is a fancy way of saying just dump some salt on it and let it chill in your fridge. I find the smoke adds a lot of flavor so a lot of my rubs are incredibly simple, salt/pepper if you really want just the meat flavor. Can add typical bbq spices like cumin/paprika/sugar for your pulled pork, turmeric basil and garlic for lamb, parsley/rosemary and such for poultry, whatever you're feeling it works well. Here are some examples of stuff I've made over the not quite year.

Cow:

Brisket is amazing, I've found you can't really go wrong with a 225-250 smoke until it hits 203ish. I don't wrap em or any of the big cuts, but I do chuck them in a cooler for 1-2 hours after I pull it.

I've only done two prime rib roasts and they both turned out great but I'd say definitively the one I did longer was better. This guy I smoked for no joke like 18 hours, started the night before christmas eve at 140 and let it run till 135, was sous vide levels of moist.

Everyone knows round sucks, or does it? You can throw good cuts on a smoker and get great results but I think a big part of the magic of them is that they can turn something cheap into something fancy.

Pig

Got bottom barrel 97 cents a pound surplus ham from holiday sales? Smoke it all day and for the last hour crank the heat a bit and throw on some glaze, I squeezed some oranges, mixed in honey, ginger, and a bit of starch, and that was it.

Pulled pork is probably most people's first thought when it comes to smoking and bbq, and you're not wrong. It's cheap, delicious, and basically idiot proof.

I've honestly never been a huge fan of tenderloin normally, it's one of the more expensive cuts of pig you can get but also easy to dry out. This turned out great though, I ended up slicing it and using it for sandwiches all week.

While they slowly turn, conquering the worm

Seafood:

drat that's a huge fish. Whole and smoked is amazing, can easily pick up coho's when they're in season for 6-7 bucks a pound and just be treated to an amazing feast.

Hot smoked salmon is even better fresh, this one is probably MrsC's favorite. I've learned to cook two at once because one vanishes.

Poultry:

Probably my favorite part of the smoker is eatin birds. Seriously good poultry is available year round, week in week out there's always some part of it on sale somewhere, and you throw it in a smoker and jesus christ it's good. My general approach is a marinade, I usually go for teriyaki-esque flavor, I'll use some soy sauce, ginger, citrus, chili oils, etc, marinade it for an hour or so, throw those on to smoke em real low to dry out a bit and start getting up to temp. While they're drying off in low heat I'll throw the marinade on the stove with some cold water and flour, whisk it up and heat it till it thickens. I'll crank the temp up to start crispin the chicken and use the repurposed marinade to glaze em, amazing every time.

Cheap turkeys are abundant in nov and dec and it's worth buying a smoker almost for them alone. A lot of people think they don't like turkey, it's too dry, it's too chewy, etc, the truth is that your family probably just sucked at cooking them but beyond that smoking one is amazing. It's almost hard to describe how good it is, tender doesn't quite do it justice. Outside of whole ones I pickup bone in breasts any time they go on sale, smoke that and you have premium sandwich meat for a week.

Lamb:

Everyone knows a rack of lamb is expensive and fancy, but you can pick up leg quarters for cheaper than a lot of cuts of beef and smoking it is a fantastic way to enjoy them.

Tonight?
I've got the bones from a turkey boob I smoked last weekend that I'm simmering to make some soup. On the smoker I'm gonna do some thighs, p much identically to what's described above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
We have a submission directly from derpies themself. Posting from beyond probation. We accept all smoking efforts in this thread and will gladly welcome anyone who finds themselves asking, "where's the ring?"

quote:

Derpies wrote on Apr 17, 2021 14:00:
Here is a pork I'm smoking right now

Plz inform the other suburban dad's and when I'm not chain probated to death I'll post meat