Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Foyt may expand to 3 cars next year, with the driving lineup of Kellett, Calderon, and Bourdais (part time)/Ticktum.

This team should likely be a single car effort honestly. The last truly successful driver in this seat was Takuma Sato; it’s been a nightmare ever since.

Very few people probably cared but Kellett had a bunch of really bizarre mechanical failures, so I’m inclined to believe they really don’t give a poo poo about that entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Frond posted:

Foyt may expand to 3 cars next year, with the driving lineup of Kellett, Calderon, and Bourdais (part time)/Ticktum.

This team should likely be a single car effort honestly. The last truly successful driver in this seat was Takuma Sato; it’s been a nightmare ever since.

Very few people probably cared but Kellett had a bunch of really bizarre mechanical failures, so I’m inclined to believe they really don’t give a poo poo about that entry.

Kellett is a pay driver, a thing that isn't uncommon with the less successful teams to help meet their bottom lines, but is it possible that maybe he has pay engineers or pay mechanics too? Possible, albeit unlikely, explanation for how bad his equipment has been in addition to his driving. Also, are they still a split shop between Houston and Speedway? That just seems so wasteful of their clearly limited resources, even if Super Tex doesn't want to live in Indiana.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I would love to know more about Calderon after seeing her pop up in F2 and Super Formula and a few other spots. Any good articles about her?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
She’s frankly not very suited to open wheel cars. Her SF results have been rather poor.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

bennyfactor posted:

Kellett is a pay driver, a thing that isn't uncommon with the less successful teams to help meet their bottom lines, but is it possible that maybe he has pay engineers or pay mechanics too? Possible, albeit unlikely, explanation for how bad his equipment has been in addition to his driving. Also, are they still a split shop between Houston and Speedway? That just seems so wasteful of their clearly limited resources, even if Super Tex doesn't want to live in Indiana.

Oh I’m aware but if he’s paying I think they could at least give him a car that works.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I think having two cars isn't actually an issue if they can afford it. More cars = more data = better set ups

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I don’t think they can, is what I’m saying.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

She’s frankly not very suited to open wheel cars. Her SF results have been rather poor.

She tested with Foyt not long ago (thanks to the Rokit sponsorship link) and apparently did ok? I think Super Formula is good at weeding out those that can and can’t in a real strong aero car, Gasly and Palou both did alright but others have struggled.

But yeah they’re likely trying to field more cars than they have good engineering staff. Is the Foyt team still running one car out of Texas and another out of Indy? That also seemed I’ll-advised.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I made an addition to the poster in my garage:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I made an addition to the poster in my garage:

Oh hey I haven't posted this photo yet this year

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

Frond posted:

Ticktum should be interesting. Guy has been a major asshat for a long time and on F2 radio he bitches so much until he swings round to sarcastic nihilism. He is pretty hated in European open wheel racing.

That being said on his day he can be insanely fast and it seems he has realized that he lost out on F1 opportunities primarily due to his attitude, personality and immature statements so there might be a redemption arc somewhere in there.

Think more talented, less racist and dangerous Ferrucci.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/PitlaneParley/status/1443299517458231313
AJ Foyt Racing, y’all.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cataffy posted:

Ticktum should be interesting. Guy has been a major asshat for a long time and on F2 radio he bitches so much until he swings round to sarcastic nihilism. He is pretty hated in European open wheel racing.

That being said on his day he can be insanely fast and it seems he has realized that he lost out on F1 opportunities primarily due to his attitude, personality and immature statements so there might be a redemption arc somewhere in there.

Think more talented, less racist and dangerous Ferrucci.

He's not that good. He was fired from Super Formula after 3 races because he was miles (kilometers?) off the pace of Tomoki Nojiri, and this was in a top ride (Mugen Honda backed by RBR).

He also lost the Asian F3 series to Rinus Veekay. The guy has a couple good F3 results and is showing sort of decently in F2 because he's massively experienced. Maybe he will be ok in Indycar but I really doubt it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

I feel sort of bad for him honestly. His car had bunch of mechanical problems this year as well. He's slow as hell and likely one of the worst drivers in recent memory to be "promoted" to the big leagues (even by pay driver standards he's really, really bad - Binder for example actually won things in junior formulae), but at least the car should work.

I also recall Celis Jr., who might have even been worse than Kellett.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Hopefully the Toyota rumour is true (3rd supplier) but I ain't holding my breath.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I hesitate to call Kellett "bad" instead of "slow". Duno was bad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah i cant put Kellett anywhere near the pantheon of truly bad drivers

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Nah, Kellett is a bad pay driver in a bad car. His best season in open wheel racing was 2018 Indy Lights, where he repeatedly achieved top five finishes due to there only being seven loving cars on the grid. I guess he routinely finished on the podium in the Freedom 100, but that doesn't really make up for Never Winning Anything Ever. He is my current go-to example of a talentless driver with lots of daddy's money to buy his way into the sport.

There have been lots of drivers that have come and gone even in just the last decade, some of which had real talent but never got the opportunity to develop due to sponsorship and cash flow issues, or being unable to get the attention of a decent team, or even just being unlucky on track. Kellett spent three years racing for Andretti in Indy Lights and never did jack poo poo. He never showed any skill or even signs of improvement. Yeah, the 4 is a trash entry with no real support, but I don't think there's anything the team could have done to keep him from being the worst driver on the 2021 grid. If he's retained by the team for 2022, he'll probably be the worst driver next year as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Things Kellett can do that truly bad drivers cannot:

*Keep it pointed the right way on track
*Not run into championship contenders

Worst of the field with as deep of a field Indycar has right now really isn't the insult it would have been in 1997 or even 2014.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
1997 wasn't too bad outside of Vitolo and Nearburg. Most of the drivers had accomplished things in the lower levels, even Paul Jasper.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Reynold posted:

Nah, Kellett is a bad pay driver in a bad car. His best season in open wheel racing was 2018 Indy Lights, where he repeatedly achieved top five finishes due to there only being seven loving cars on the grid. I guess he routinely finished on the podium in the Freedom 100, but that doesn't really make up for Never Winning Anything Ever. He is my current go-to example of a talentless driver with lots of daddy's money to buy his way into the sport.

There have been lots of drivers that have come and gone even in just the last decade, some of which had real talent but never got the opportunity to develop due to sponsorship and cash flow issues, or being unable to get the attention of a decent team, or even just being unlucky on track. Kellett spent three years racing for Andretti in Indy Lights and never did jack poo poo. He never showed any skill or even signs of improvement. Yeah, the 4 is a trash entry with no real support, but I don't think there's anything the team could have done to keep him from being the worst driver on the 2021 grid. If he's retained by the team for 2022, he'll probably be the worst driver next year as well.

Kellett is actually an engineer too so he may be of more use on the pitwall TBH.

I don't care too much that he's in the 4 - the car is complete junk regardless of who is driving the drat thing, but I think it's reasonable to expect it to work.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Frond posted:

Kellett is actually an engineer too so he may be of more use on the pitwall TBH.

I don't care too much that he's in the 4 - the car is complete junk regardless of who is driving the drat thing, but I think it's reasonable to expect it to work.

Yeah, a lot of his retirements have actually been mechanical this year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reynold posted:

Well sure, but that kinda understates how bad some of the pay drivers in indycar have been. Like I don't put him on the same level as Duno, Jack Miller, Marty Roth, SLICK RACIN Gardner, Vitolo, Gache, Witherill, Matsushita, Dracone, Sperafico(s), Ho-Pin Tung, John Herb, George Mack, Will Langhorne, Rick Treadway (Jr!), Billy Roe, John de Vries, Jeret Schroeder, Tyce Carlson, Fabrizio del Monte, Camithias, Charlie Nearburg etc.

poo poo, hes likely far more talented than indycar CO CHAMPION Buzz Calkins.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Vitolo got parked at Toronto for "Handling" in 1997. A street course. He had fallen something like 28-30 seconds behind 27th placed Matsushita in 10 laps.

Frond fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 30, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I should probably note to the Matsushita wasn't nearly as bad as most of the early IRL drivers - he actually was fairly successful in Atlantics believe it or no.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

1997 wasn't too bad outside of Vitolo and Nearburg. Most of the drivers had accomplished things in the lower levels, even Paul Jasper.

I wasn't talking about 1997 CART :v:

Oh and how can we forget EJ Viso?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Did Christiano da Matta ever return to high level racing after he hit that deer in 2006?

I could probably just look that up I guess. But that he was one driver I really liked back in the Champ Car/CART days.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Did Christiano da Matta ever return to high level racing after he hit that deer in 2006?

I could probably just look that up I guess. But that he was one driver I really liked back in the Champ Car/CART days.

I got ya. He did a couple sports car one-offs, including for Paul Gentilozzi before that Jaguar GT program folded (lol).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Newgarden drove excellently this year.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
IMS is hosting a Good Riddance Party (or celebration of life idk) for Robin Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfBip2kPYgc

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Moving a couple links over from Discord:

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1445137943484461056

I’ll keep my eyes out for Racer uploading an archived version of the Miller roast remembrance this week.

Racer: Sato puts his 2022 IndyCar chances at 50:50

Looks like Sato’s chance would be at Dale Coyne, whether he still wants that is up to debate.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The Robin Miller CoL is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaSIHcdQYps

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Carlin is likely done.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://racer.com/2021/10/15/insight-dan-wheldons-accident-10-years-on-part-1/
https://racer.com/2021/10/16/insight-dan-wheldons-accident-10-years-on-part-2/

Two part story about the 10th anniversary of the 2011 Vegas race. :smith:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2L0ntqKl_Q

these chatlogs seem... familiar....

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
yes 100% that is our IRC chat

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I apparently nuked my logs at some point, but yes I can pick out my circa-2011 posting patterns in some parts of the video.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't remember if I was able to manage IRC at the time from my phone at the track, but quite frankly I don't want to watch that video and figure it out. I definitely remember posting.

Replaying chatlogs on that seems ghastly, honestly.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think he monetized the video as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Yeah, although in Super Formula's equivilent of Foyt to be fair.

Calderon though is pretty simple. She's an excellent racing driver and one actually doing it because she likes racing at that (unlike say, Carman Jorda) but her talents top out around LMP2, she should not have been given GP2, SF or Indycar drives.