Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sounds like a good race, and Palou with Ganassi hardware really looks like a force to be reckoned with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I know the F1 and F2 halo have stopped tires as well, not sure if this would have been different with 'just' a halo but yeah

devmd01 posted:

Aeroscreens need to be on every open wheel cockpit like yesterday.

open-wheel racers need that kind of protection, full stop.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

An article from today on The Race:

• Indianapolis 500 planning to run 40% capacity on race day, which means 135,000 fans in the venue. This is approved by the county and state.
  • Masks and distancing will be required
  • About 90% of IndyCar team personnel had been vaccinated prior to the Barber round, which is a pretty good number!

Sounds like other days during the Month of May still have tickets available too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Back in the day, the big ovals were endurance races - both from a strategy component but also for the parts, especially engines/transmissions. Michigan, Pocono, 1990s/2000s Fontana, and of course Indianapolis are all endurance tests wrapped around going real fast.

So I definitely prefer that to an extent, plus those massive pack races lead to real trouble.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GutBomb posted:

For anyone interested there’s a bunch of 45 minute condensed Indy 500s on ESPN+. Earliest one is 1967 I think.

Interesting - that has to be ABC/ESPN’s own doing because they’re not connected at all to IndyCar now. Sounds like a good way to catch up on a lot of history, though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

The Indy racing Gods have a long memory

I was young when it happened but old enough to understand this was not really normal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Uncle Bobby is up at the pearly gates trying to explain both why so many rental cars died an early death, and something about turkeys.

With time and distance more of the stories of a young Bobby Unser have been told more freely in recent years, leading to some fantastic fun. If you only remember him as an Indy 500 winner, or as commentator for ABC for a long time, go back and catch some of this as well. From 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0CaYumlHu0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Holy smokes it's race week. Is anyone actually able to go this year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Great news, everyone

https://twitter.com/ims/status/1398021191152005123

The Indiana blackout for the 500 broadcast is lifted this year :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

I'm so tempted to get up at 2am to watch the race, but I think I'll risk the results being spoiled and record it to watch tomorrow evening.

it should be a good race OP, just gonna be a bit weird to see a huge crowd after The Year of COVID.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1403494090247901190?s=20

"the wrong choice" lmao

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Well hey

https://twitter.com/a_s12/status/1405164257700876294?s=21

Cool! Will be interesting to see how well Magnussen does.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Didn't Veekay drive really well in Detroit? Or am I blanking on him getting injured during the 2nd race? That seems like an odd change.

Got injured riding a bicycle.

At least that’s a slightly less stupid way of doing that than the MotoGP rider who was texting while cycling and ran into a van and injured himself.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

One day Indycar is just going to be rejected and / or retired F1 drivers.

You can go a long, long time back to find drivers who were once in Formula 1 and transitioned their careers to IndyCar full-time. Turns out F1 is hard, top seats are limited, and sponsorship money in the U.S. has been pretty good for IndyCar for a long time!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

I only realised during the first Detroit race that Marco isn't racing this year. And then I was struggling to remember if he raced last year as well? Is this the first season in a long time that we haven't had an Andretti in a race seat or at least a full time race seat?

Marco raced at Indy, he took a step back from the full season this year. I want to say he’s scheduled for a couple more races but I don’t remember offhand. I know he’s otherwise the pro in a LMP3 in IMSA for some of this season too.

And yes, that would break a decades-long streak of not having an Andretti on an American open wheel grid were Marco to go away completely. End of an era.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

As far as I know the only "no" in that plan was Michael.

it sounds like he's the only one who doesn't have the bug right now, yeah. I would love to see Mario/Michael/Marco/Jarrett to take a LMDH (especially if Andretti Autosport run one of those in IMSA) to the enduros, especially if they can also work Le Mans in somehow.

I'd also love to see Bob and Graham Rahal share a BMW LMDH, which seems like it could also be a possibility from a program standpoint too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

Well without development there is really no reason to run ovals imo. They should at least reduce the power by another 200 hp. It's a fine series then, like F2 or Super Formula

Nah. More power means harder to drive/more difficult to control. The last thing we need is corner speed battles, because 200hp less would be no challenge for the current downforce levels.

From memory, the next engine package is expected to have more power.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

Knock off the wings then, there is no reason to be going 230 if everyone having the same car is the goal.

get thee to the Formula Ford Festival

there's still a point to having these cars have wings and ground effect even if everyone has it, that allows for higher speeds which are exciting and a challenge for drivers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

From what I understand, (based on what Marshall Pruett has said in his podcast) on the superspeedways (as well as maybe the short ovals I guess), there is going to be a different hybrid generation system, he's hinted at it being a MGU-H style system on the turbo, to allow charging at full throttle and max boost, basically taking the energy wasted with the wastegates open and converting that to electricity.

considering they need a hybrid system that can work on ovals, this is a smart idea. I would imagine the next IndyCar only has that MGU-H style system instead of also adding an MGU-K as well, due to weight and packaging. Beyond F1, Porsche's 919 LMP1 car used an MGU-H system on the exhaust.

it would also make sense to have the hybrid be captive to the powertrain because I think there's still a chance that there will be a staggered introduction of the new engine and new chassis.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

it sounds like Robin Miller is in very rough shape right now, which has been suspected given he hasn't even been doing the Mailbag columns recently.

:smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Looks like jack Harvey just got booted for Helio next year at MSR.

fired, or leaving? the rumors are he might be going to RLL to replace Sato.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/racermag/status/1421422920627277826

quote:

But when cancer and leukemia decide to gang up on you then everything changes and you are suddenly lining up up in a heat race with The Grim Reaper. Might be a 50-lapper, could be an enduro or you might get lucky and run for a year or two.

My situation is pretty cut and dried. There is no cure for my illness but it can be treated, and I spent lots of hours at the clinic in Greenwood, Indiana with an awesome staff of doctors and nurses.

gently caress. Let’s hope Robin can get strong enough to at least get to one more race in-person.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

much like Monaco, it's about seeing the cars in that backdrop versus it being the Best Racing Circuit Possible.

Vasukhani posted:

this is gonna be chaos lol

:gritin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If you think Indycar is gonna be chaos, SRO GT America is running their inaugural race, GT3, GT2, and GT4 multiclass, single driver 40 minute races, bronze drivers only.

They're putting dentists on this track for the first race of the series. :stare:

E:also I think the runs across the bridge could make for some decent passing opportunities, I hope at least. I love the elevation change, which I was not expecting.

:gritin:

Vasukhani posted:

sadly, for people who need chemo or have immune issues, in-person things will probably not be a thing again.

that's very true. at least it appears Miller is well enough to do some writing again, Racer said his mailbag column is coming back soon. regardless of opinion on that at least it's a decent sign.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

If we're going by that level of consistency for 2021 at least, the other three drivers in the top five in points are all Ganassi, and Newgarden is fourth in points despite being the only one in the top five with any finishes outside the top 20.

I don't think Chevy is at the top of their game right now, but I don't think that's the only issue making it hard for a bowtie to win the title this year. The Ganassi cars are the closest thing to consistent that anyone has been.

Also if the Wikipedia article is right, the battle for 22nd in entrant points could be interesting if RLL keeps fielding the 45 car. If they do and they keep up similar results, that puts the 48 and 7 fighting for 22nd in points, and that gap is down to 10 points. If the 45 is done for the year, then that should put the 7 in 22nd and let's be fair there's basically no way the 59 or 4 stand a loving chance.

It’s more Ganassi being very good than anything else. Didn’t Rinus Veekay win a race earlier this year? Usually his car and Ed’s on ovals are competitive. Penske is having a weird year but Newgarden is right there in points. Pato is in the title fight as well.

I thought there was some rumbling about whether the IndyCar admin wanted to let the 45 be competitive for the Leader’s Circle or not, which might also impact the final stretch of the year too.

Geez, RIP Bob Jenkins. What a voice and career.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theris posted:

When was the last time someone went over a catch fence on a street course?

Jeff Krosnoff’s fatal incident in Vancouver also took out a corner worker because the catch fencing was behind the marshall station.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gently caress. gently caress cancer, god dammit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

Why was Askew fired for a slightly better version Ed Jones?

I think the answer is McLaren-SPM is one of the teams on the grid most likely to do silly things for inexplicable reasons.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

bourdais sucks poo poo so this is hardly surprising

Bourdais did alright in 2018 and 2019 with the DCR car, but there might be something with the aeroscreen car that is tricky. that or Foyt being an anchor of a team.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sounds like it was a good race and a party, I can't wait to check the longer highlights this week.

good work by Palou all season to take the championship in his second year in IndyCars. Wild to have a Ganassi champion that isn't Dixon -- first time since Dario, of course.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

As a very casual racing fan, Drive to Survive did a great job (for me at least) of providing a bunch of background and context on the various F1 teams. As I dive deeper into Indycar is there a go to primer than I can watch or read to give similar insight?

There isn't a similar documentary I can think of for teams specifically and the full IndyCar grid, but there is one on Scott Dixon - Born Racer - that might be a good introduction, given that Dixon has tied for the most national championships*, has been consistently Excellent and a championship contender basically since 2007 or so, and really only has come up short in the Indy 500.

I can put together something on the different teams and relevant heritages here later today. It's a bit tougher to follow IndyCar just because sponsors and paint schemes change a bit more, but if you're following organizations it's not impossible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Hell yea that’s great thank you. Was talking to my dad during the race today about how much easier it is to follow the teams in F1 since the liveries are all the same.

Okey-doke, time for a bit of an effort post -- should also be re-usable for next year's OP.

-------

IndyCar Team Guide - History and Status (as of 2021)

Compared to the relative simplicity of Formula 1 -- where each team has two cars painted identically, and (in the past few years) haven't really changed designs or primary colors too much -- the IndyCar grid is a bit more mixed, thanks to teams having more cars and more different sponsors. But that said, there's plenty of history for a lot of the teams in IndyCar that's worth digging into or comparing to the older iterations of American open wheel.

Team Penske

Chevrolet Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #2 Josef Newgarden / #3 Scott McLaughlin / #12 Will Power / #22 Simon Pagenaud / Indy Only: #16 Simona Di Silvestro

The gold standard. Competitors at the Indianapolis 500 since 1969, 18 victories in the '500,' and 14 season championships, Team Penske truly is 'Penske perfect.' Perennial challengers at Indy and throughout the season, the current four-car squad struggled a little in early 2021, though Josef Newgarden came back to get close in the title picture by the end of the year. McLaughlin had a dip from high expectations for his rookie season, Will Power struggled, and it looks like the team may drop a car for next year in the form of Simon Pagenaud going elsewhere, though that's still TBD. For the Indy 500 this year, the Paretta Autosport team partnered with the Penske enterprise to field Simona Di Silvestro.

If you were going to make IndyCar into a sports movie, Team Penske would be the bad guys -- perfectly manicured drivers, cars, pit setups, they're the well-moneyed bad guys who absolutely pay attention to every detail and extract the most. Can't blame team owner Roger Penske for pouring the money from his corporate empire back into his racing teams while expecting results and doing so in a corporate, picture-perfect manner. Along with the IndyCar team, Penske bought into NASCAR in the early '90s, and is expanding once more into sports car racing with the Porsche factory team in IMSA and the WEC from 2023. The empire grows.

Chip Ganassi Racing

Honda Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #8 Marcus Ericsson / #9 Scott Dixon / #10 Alex Palou / #48 Jimmie Johnson

This era's true standout. Started in 1990 and running through until a few years ago with Target sponsorship, the Chip Ganassi team first saw real success with Jimmy Vasser and Alex Zanardi's championships in CART in the late 1990s. Since then, some of the modern heroes of the sport have driven for the team: Juan Pablo Montoya, Dario Franchiti, Dan Wheldon, Tony Kanaan, and Scott Dixon, who has been with the team since 2002 (!).

Dixon seems to perpetually be a title favorite, Ericsson proved quick in his second year in the championship, while Alex Palou stepped up after a promising rookie season to get his first IndyCar win and finally clinch the title. Jimmie Johnson moved over after retiring with seven titles in NASCAR to turn left and right and has truly gotten the bug. Expect Ganassi racing to remain strong in future seasons. Along with the IndyCar team, Ganassi had a NASCAR program that they sold this season, and is stepping back into sports car racing once more as Cadillac's factory team in IMSA and WEC from 2023.

Andretti Autosport

Honda Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #26 Colton Herta / #27 Alexander Rossi / #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay / #29 James Hinchcliffe / Indy Only: #25 Stefan Wilson / #98 Marco Andretti

The largest team on the grid by entry numbers (with four regular drivers, two Indy 500-only drivers, and a partnership with another two-car team we'll discuss later), Andretti Autosport has grown into a monster after starting with much humbler beginnings. Drawing the history back to the early 1990s Forsythe-Green team that started with Jacques Villeneuve and grew into the Team KOOL Green outfit of Franchiti and Paul Tracy, prolific second-gen driver Michael Andretti joined first as a driver, and took over full ownership in 2003 (and moved the team to the IRL the same season).

Even before Michael hung up the helmet as a full-time driver, the team was successful in the IRL, including winning the Indianapolis 500 with Dan Wheldon and Dario Franchiti. In recent years they've been in and around the title picture with various drivers -- Hunter-Reay winning it in 2012, Alex Rossi coming close in recent years, and Colton Herta becoming a phenom the past couple seasons as well.

It's already been announced the Andretti team will be dropping Hunter-Reay in favor of Romain "the self-proclaimed phoenix" Grosjean for the #28 car next year, but there could be further shuffling. In any case, they'll be hoping Big John brings the heat and Rossi shakes off the bad luck of the last few seasons.

Rahal-Letterman-Lanigan Racing

Honda Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #15 Graham Rahal / #30 Takuma Sato / Part-time: #45 Various

A successful racer and Indianapolis 500 winner, Bobby Rahal was an owner-driver for almost a decade in the 1990s in IndyCar before retiring in 1998 (we still miss the Miller Genuine Draft paint scheme).

Story time: At the end of 1989, former team owner Pat Patrick was supposed to wind up his team, with star driver Emerson Fittipaldi and his Marlboro sponsorship going to Penske, and the rest of the team assets going to form the basis of Chip Ganassi Racing. Well, ol' Pat still had the bug, and wound up picking up the Alfa-Romeo engine project and its racing team. They then wound up in legal and financial trouble by the end of 1991, which is when driver-to-be Rahal wound up picking up the team. So two failed editions of Patrick Racing are still seen on the grid even today!

After retiring, Bobby Rahal remained a team owner, generally running two cars. The team has fluctuated in its successes since then, with his son Graham developing into a regular front-runner and race-winner but not always in the top three of the championship. They've also won the 500 a couple times, most recently with Takuma Sato. Also, yes, they are part-owned by Indiana native David Letterman. He's often in the pits for races.

Arrow-McLaren SP

Chevrolet Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #5 Pato O'Ward / #7 Felix Rosenqvist / Indy Only: #86 Juan Pablo Montoya

A team with nearly 20 years of history, former driver Sam Schmidt started his team after suffering an accident that left him a quadriplegic. The team ran steadily until the post-2012 era, when then-rookie Simon Pagenaud started with the team. Arrow sponsorship came on a few years later, and with it James Hinchcliffe, race wins, and a much higher profile. Finishing second with Pato O'Ward this season has been a remarkable climb for the team, and it wouldn't be surprising if they expanded to running three cars full time in the future.

McLaren's motorsports credentials are not in question, and their own IndyCar history even goes back a surprising amount of time -- McLaren chassis won the Indy 500 a number of times in the 1970s. After then-driver Fernando Alonso came over to run the Indy 500 a few years back, interest grew, and under Zak Brown, the possibility to first 'sponsor' and then own part of the team became more likely. The British team has now taken ownership and Arrow has extended their sponsorship, so they should continue to grow in coming years.

A.J. Foyt Enterprises

Chevrolet Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #14 Sebastien Bourdais / #4 Dalton Kellett / Partial season: #11 Charlie Kimball / Indy only: #1 J.R. Hildebrand

The original owner-driver team, A.J. Foyt ran his own cars on the open wheel scene from the 1970s until his retirement in the early 1990s. An oval specialist and one of the last drivers who had experience with old-school front-wheel-drive Indy racers, Foyt even in the '80s and '90s was more living legend than legitimate victory threat, though the old #14 Copenhagen cars definitely had a classic look.

One of the first teams to jump out of CART and into the IRL when it started, A.J. Foyt's team had success on that side of the split. The small group hasn't had the resources or the luck ever since, though Takuma Sato did get his first win in a Foyt car in 2013. That remains the team's most recent win, though with Sebastien Bourdais the team has recovered a bit.

Ed Carpenter Racing

Chevrolet Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #20 Conor Daly / Ed Carpenter (ovals) / #21 Rinus VeeKay / Indy only: #47 Daly

Steady Ed's team is one that grew during the IRL era. It helps to have your step-dad buy a team for you, I suppose. Carpenter's not an absolute pay driver, though, especially on ovals -- you could even say that when Tony George thought about CART cutting off "American drivers who grew up on short ovals," he might be thinking of his step-son.

Carpenter's team has become a solid small outfit, with enough engineering know-how to jump up and compete at many events. Carpenter himself is getting up in age but still a solid hand in ovals (with a remarkable record at Indy 500 qualifying for such a small team), and young Dutch driver Rinus VeeKay has earned a win for the team this past season. We'll see if they keep local boy Conor Daly (son of Irish former Formula 1 and CART driver Derek Daly), who's becoming a real IndyCar journeyman himself.

Meyer Shank Racing

Honda Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #60 Jack Harvey / Part season: #06 Helio Castroneves

The little sports-car team that could. After a history of running various cars in IMSA, Mike Shank fulfilled a life-long dream by forming an IndyCar team in 2017 after unsuccessfully trying to jump over as early as 2012. With support from Andretti Autosport and sponsors SiriusXM and AutoNation, they've grown from doing a couple races a year to having a full-time driver and somebody with a partial season. Jack Harvey has helped build the team up from 2017, while former Penske driver Helio Castroneves joined for the part-time car in 2021.

And what a chance that turned into for Helio -- he won the Indianapolis 500 in 2021, becoming the fourth four-time winner of the '500' (and first non-American to do so). Riding that momentum, it's very likely they'll expand to two cars for more of 2022.

Dale Coyne Racing

Honda Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #18 Ed Jones / #51 Romain Grosjean / Part time: #52 Cody Ware / Ryan Norman

In the true spirit of Dale Coyne Racing, I'm going to leave this for last and as "TBD" until the very last minute.

...in all seriousness, the small Chicago-based team has built itself (and sustained since 1984) on pay drivers, cutting costs and maximizing their opportunities. Even the fact that this season both entries this year are co-branded (Coyne with Rick Ware Racing, and Coyne with Vasser-Sullivan) says a lot to the "hustling to get to the grid" spirit.

Coyne's team has seen the following IndyCar pay drivers of lore step through its doors: Hiro Matsushita, Tarso Marques, Gaston Mazzacane, Milka Duno, Ana Beatriz, and more.

But that doesn't mean the team is awful! Because IndyCar is so close these days, engineering and driver ability play a big part. Sebastien Bourdais won races with the #18 car a couple years back, and Romain Grosjean became incredibly close to wins in his rookie IndyCar season this year.

Carlin

Chevrolet Engines | 2021 Driver Lineup: #59 Max Chilton / Conor Daly (ovals only)

A big-time team in junior formulae series in Europe, Carlin first added Indy Lights and junior teams in the U.S. before adding an IndyCar team in 2018. The team has rotated around driver Max Chilton, who's dad's company sponsors the team and partnered with Carlin in the 1990s. Chilton continues to drive on the road courses for the team, with Conor Daly (who steps out for Ed Carpenter on ovals) taking the car on ovals this past year. Time will tell if they'll return back to the two cars they ran in earlier seasons.

Juncos Hollinger Racing

Chevrolet Engines | 2021 Driver: #77 Callum Ilott (part season)

Ricardo Juncos is a real stereotypical American rags-to-riches story, starting his career off in his native Argentina as a karting and junior formulae team owner, before starting American junior teams in 2009. The team ran in IndyCar on a very low budget from 2017 to 2019, and while the intent has always been to return, it was a pleasant surprise to see Juncos return with Formula 2 standout Callum Ilott, running in three races in 2021 at the end of the season ahead of a full year in 2022.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

She’s frankly not very suited to open wheel cars. Her SF results have been rather poor.

She tested with Foyt not long ago (thanks to the Rokit sponsorship link) and apparently did ok? I think Super Formula is good at weeding out those that can and can’t in a real strong aero car, Gasly and Palou both did alright but others have struggled.

But yeah they’re likely trying to field more cars than they have good engineering staff. Is the Foyt team still running one car out of Texas and another out of Indy? That also seemed I’ll-advised.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Did Christiano da Matta ever return to high level racing after he hit that deer in 2006?

I could probably just look that up I guess. But that he was one driver I really liked back in the Champ Car/CART days.

I got ya. He did a couple sports car one-offs, including for Paul Gentilozzi before that Jaguar GT program folded (lol).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Moving a couple links over from Discord:

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1445137943484461056

I’ll keep my eyes out for Racer uploading an archived version of the Miller roast remembrance this week.

Racer: Sato puts his 2022 IndyCar chances at 50:50

Looks like Sato’s chance would be at Dale Coyne, whether he still wants that is up to debate.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Testing at Barber for a small handful of teams and drivers, including Nico Hulkenberg, Indy Lights runner-up David Maluka, and Ryan Hunter-Reay with ECR.

No word on any of those leading to deals for next season yet, but it wouldn't be a shock if Hulkenberg gets at least a partial schedule with McLaren.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

there have already been some Google Street View investigations of this map and they are predictably hilarious.

but hey we get the Detroit race around GM's headquarters building, so can't complain too much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Quick news roundup, starting with Rossi:

• Rossi is 'downsizing' his non-IndyCar racing this year, after the Rolex 24 at the least, which is also a fancy way of saying He's Got a Contract Year. "It’s a critical year for me in a lot of respects, and I just want to make sure that what we’re doing with all the other stuff, I’ll revisit in the future. But it’s not on my immediate horizon.” Rossi has really suffered in the aeroscreen era.
  • Looks like Dale Coyne with Vasser Sullivan will be without Vasser Sullivan for 2022, and sounds like another partner will fill that gap. Still TBD with what Vasser-Sullivan will do for 2022, but it sounds like they want to do a partnership before starting their own shop in the future.
  • Nyck de Vries remains fast, may be an option for 2023 if he doesn't want to continue in Formula E or get any further options as a factory driver.

It's still really good to see silly season producing some actual noteworthy news, and not teams having to leave.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Mayor of Hinchtown references to jump 12,000%. Almost makes me want PT back.

one dumb nickname - or - PT being weird about Danica's shoes and having general brain poisoning

yes, clearly these are two balanced things.

Cygni posted:

The Carlin truck was at the Juncos shop in Indy a lot lately. Take from that what you will.

honestly wouldn't be surprised if Max Chilton wasn't looking to take his money elsewhere, this seems like the time to go sports car racing instead. and without Chilton I doubt Carlin sticks around as an independent organization.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bennyfactor posted:

In better news, Sato confirmed at DCRwRWR for the full year: https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/sato-coyne-interview-2022-potential/6866388/

I hope they can get him a good engineer since Boisson moved with Big John over to Andretti.

Quoting to keep this gif around because :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

double posting because it appears we've also lost Big Al this year :smith:

https://twitter.com/TakumaSatoRacer/status/1469204493112066050?s=20

him and Uncle Bobby gone in a year, plus of course Robin Miller...glad we got so many good stories from them in the last few years.