Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Welcome to the NTT IndyCar Series 2021 Thread! Same great taste, different thread ID!

Discord/IRC
Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu
#ics on irc.synirc.net

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates.

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting.

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. Support your local dirt track!!!

Twitter
who cares twitter is terrible but it's not hard to find drivers/teams

For money (full price is $55/year) you can pay for the NBC Sports Gold INDYCAR Pass. You get live streaming of all practice sessions and qualifying with no commercials. Races are on-demand only.

Road To Indy Viewing Options

IndyCar on Radio

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Mark Jaynes is lead announcer. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 209.

Previous Threads
Indycar 2020: All hail our new Penske overlords
Indycar 2019: The Worstest Thread
IndyCar 2018: Get well soon, Wickens
IndyCar 2017: A bunch of different names
IndyCar 2016: A Series as Recognizable as its Champion
IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011: Dan Wheldon Appreciation Station
Izod Indycar Series 2010: Sato what happened? Sato!? SATOOOOOOOOO!
Indycar [2009] Month of May and Indy 500: Paul Tracy Revenge Edition
Indy Car 2008: Can hell freeze over twice?
Hell frozen over: Champ Car/IRL Unification [2007/8]
Indy Racing League [2007]: Yes it still exists!
Champ Car 2006 Season Thread
2005 Champ Car Season Thread

Thread Rules
No F1Chat but otherwise be excellent to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Basticle posted:

Good race, a shameful OP

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
https://racer.com/2021/04/19/aeroscreen-likely-saved-my-life-hunter-reay/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2mRR_HOJQ/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=A9A2A4F3-0701-4886-B47B-C297DB5912B6

Aeroscreens need to be on every open wheel cockpit like yesterday.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Now it’s may! :hellyeah:

Now give me another week and I’ll be fully covered from my 2nd shot, so let’s do this! :getin:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just get a BC75XLT, they are cheap. You can program it via usb/serial. Also useful as a weather radio.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
God help me I am insane for trying this but gently caress it, it’s time. I’m taking Friday afternoon off, picking up our twin 4 year old boys from preschool, then pulling our almost 7 year old daughter from school a little early and taking them all to the track. I figure fast Friday would be the best time for them to go because I want them all to see just how fast they can go.

Wish me luck!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Mostly how to lockout channels and/or banks of channels. I set mine up where bank 1 holds race control, radio/tv frequencies, etc, and I also throw ones for any support series in there as well. Each subsequent bank is programmed with all the driver frequencies per series, I.e bank 2 INDYCAR, bank 3 nascar. That way it’s easy to just remove lockout on bank #1 and it will immediately hop to 454.000 since it’s the first slot on the bank.

Sometimes there will be digital noise on a driver frequency and you’ll need to lock that channel out from scanning as well.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 19, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Gotta build the next fans, one visit at a time.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just earpro for today. I brought the scanners and ear buds to fit underneath the muffs but I had enough going on with taking them solo and didn’t get them out.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Frond posted:

He was much better than most give him credit for.

“I’ll take things that won’t be said about Marco Andretti for $200, Alex.”

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just hope the forecast holds, the weather looks to be fantastic. I know what I’m getting into every year in the SW vista but it’s nice to not completely bake in the sun all day.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I don’t expect that there will be any running today, it’s gonna drizzle allll day long. Oh well, I’m fine with donating $15 to the track. If anyone is still going today and wants a free ticket, I can get you my digital one.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I met a former coworker at metazoa instead, that was a better choice. They had it up on the TVs anyways, looked liked some good racing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress yeah Pato, the last 10 laps were fantastic

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This season has been fantastic so far. Quality field, solid racing, fierce rookies showing people what they’ve got and winning, so many different winners, a tight championship race, and lots of good drama and storylines throughout, especially newgarden’s continued incredibly bad luck. The 500 alone with Helio winning was just the cherry on top of a great race.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I was at Danica’s first race at Richmond. :smug:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Looks like jack Harvey just got booted for Helio next year at MSR.

Ordered my tickets for the indycar/nationwide doubleheader, anyone else going?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Arrow McLaren SP is hiring an IT Admin. It’s a drat shame that there’s no way they could/would pay me enough, plus the extensive travel is a non-starter now that I have 3 kids. From reading the listing, it sounds like McLaren proper has fully taken over their IT infrastructure.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Vasukhani posted:

2023 car just dropped

Throw that in with an aero screen and proper modern CF chassis, hell yeah

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Banzai 3 posted:

IndyCar 2021: This Place Is Kinda Like Monaco Macau!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That video hit me hard. Between my father and father in law’s aggressive cancer struggles and what happened to Bob and his wife, that sucks all around. Glad I watched it after everyone was in bed last night, I was a crying mess.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m not gonna bother to reprogram from the 500. I only listen to radio chatter during restarts and pit sequences, the rest of the time is IMS radio with a smattering of the TV audio frequencies.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
all packed up, just need to load the cooler before I leave. Anyone else gonna be there today?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Laughing at this excerpt from an INDYCAR.com article:

quote:

Newgarden was particularly pleased with the oversized champagne bottles offered to the top-three finishers of Saturday night’s race. He said he planned to speak to INDYCAR’s owner – a guy named Roger Penske – about getting them for every race.

“I hate when we have these dinky little champagne bottles,” Newgarden said. “This is awesome. Everywhere we should have big bottles like this. I know the boss, so I’ll put in a good word.”

Newgarden wasn’t joking, either, saying they should be “mandatory” at all races.

“I think whoever has done a great job and gotten up on the podium should have a nice, big champagne bottle that sprays for a little while," he said. "You can hand it to the team, and everyone can enjoy it. I think it’s just better for the series. It’s not that hard to do; it’s just a small request. I think it goes a long way to the appearance of the show.”

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
God dammit. Between my father, father in law, and Bob/Robin I kind of hate cancer a whole lot!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Went to a new (to me) brewery today in Indy with a friend and it’s definitely worth a stop if you’re in town for the 500. Good-rear end beer but more importantly they worked with a historical preservation group to fix up the building because it was the Boyle Racing team headquarters. As in, the ones that ran Wilbur Shaw for his wins.

https://cbs4indy.com/this-morning/g...0-themed-brews/

http://boyleraceteam.org/

They even have a room with the rebuilt team hauler, a car, and lots of pictures.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I made an addition to the poster in my garage:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man, it’s too bad Baltimore couldn’t keep going, it was actually a decent race once they got some of the stupid poo poo out of the way.

The first year was a complete clusterfuck though, the promoter had no idea of what he was doing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
14 out of the 17 races will be on NBC proper this year. The only races that aren't on NBC are Detroit, Toronto, and St. Louis. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
2022: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994581