Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Loop 5. We're getting the hang of things now, after that last victory everything's looking up! We're ready for anything!

Music: Voting

So, uh...I wasn't exactly expecting this to be the way to open the next loop.

If we have no idea whom the enemy is, then anyone will do, right? I see no problem with freezing Cassidy.
No, that's not necessarily true. As we continue the discussions, we may be able to uncover crucial pieces of info.
Haha, yeah, and we may not be able to, too.

...Now I wonder if these "among us" references are intentional, at least for this localization.

Anyway, this is Yuriko, the person who wasted absolutely no time in trying to ice us.

Music: Suspicion

(Cassidy, Cassidy...)

Yuriko is not like everyone else. She is out for blood. Imagine someone with the logic skills of Raqio, but with enough dominating social presence to not get iced in the first day.

Yes...?
You've been spreading lies and distrust all along, haven't you? Go on, come clean.

Well, for now, let's worry about surviving the first round.

Hey hold up! The Engineer is ME! Setsu stop lyin'!
Well then, Setsu and Shigemichi, I look forward to your results. Regardless of veracity, research results can provide us with crucial information.

Round 1 - Setsu and Shigemichi claim Engineer. Glad to get that out of the way. I do think revealing Engineer early works in the context of this game, as it allows more information that may end up valuable if we can figure out the real Engineer, whether by uncovering lies or by the real Engineer being killed. I'm not saying this is good strategy in regular Werewolf, but at least for this game I don't think it's as big a liability as it would otherwise be.

Round 2 - Yuriko really doesn't like us. She gets Gina on her side, but luckily Setsu and Shigemichi are on ours.

Round 3 - We try to doubt Yuriko in response, but nobody else helps us. Gina defends Yuriko and is solidly on her side at this point. Yuriko is certainly no Raqio.

Round 4 - Gina tries to throw doubt on Setsu, but nobody else bites. Raqio and Cassidy come to their defense.

Round 5 - SQ tries to turn things on Gina, but Raqio feels otherwise. In retrospect, I wonder if I should've supported targeting Gina, but there's a balancing act between being too quiet and too loud, and you'll become a huge target if you're too much on one extreme. And considering we're already a massive target due to Yuriko's single-minded focus on us...

Anyway, turns out all that debate was meaningless and it was SQ that got frozen. At least we survived this round...

Well, time to do our night routines and--

Music: Ice Prison

The game doesn't have any punctuation here. It may be a mistake, but it just makes this scene all the scarier. The music certainly doesn't help!

Oh, OK, just a nice pleasant trip to the Viewing Lounge with Yuriko.

Look... You can see even the farthest stars.

You have no risk of being attacked by the Gnosia. No one even thinks to suspect you.

This is because everyone's awareness of your very existence has been distorted. Interference by the insane gods themselves.

Last update I joked about us basically having plot armor, as we weren't voted on when we clearly should've been a target during the last vote of the last loop. Well, there's your reason. Until now, we couldn't actually be killed or frozen.

That ends now.

Hmph... If you wish to survive... Strive and struggle in desperation, with all your might.

Well this sucks.

Music: ULULO

On the bright side, we can finally enter our room and level up.

Each level lets us boost one stat. We have a backlog of levels from the first four loops, but generally you'll gain enough EXP for maybe one level, possibly two or more if you win in a difficult set-up. EXP has some weird scaling too, as the cost to gain levels will increase, but so will the EXP we gain, so despite the numbers getting bigger you'll basically gain the same amount of levels, with probably some minor differences here and there.

As for the level ups, I focused on our initial strategy of Stealth and Intution, with some boosts to the rest of our stats for now. I'll get a couple more level-ups this update, but if there's any stats you want me to prioritize, let me know and I'll do that. This will be especially relevant once we start unlocking new abilities.

Speaking of which, I'll show these off in greater detail later, but this is what we start with. These are all pretty basic and stuff we've already been using.

I wanted to visit Yuriko again, but she wasn't available, so I went to Setsu. They're our closest ally at this point, and may be the only one that can save us from Yuriko's wrath.

On the bright side, the Gnosia attacked the Guardian Angel target.

Oh yeah, we're trying to find the Gnosia. I should probably focus on that.

Reports - Setsu says Cassidy is human, while Shigemichi says Yuriko is human. I'm definitely leaning towards Shigemichi being the Gnosia fake, but he seems to be on our side right now and I'm more concerned with covering Cassidy's rear end than exposing the Gnosia.

Round 1 - Gina and Stella have joined the anti-Cassidy gang. Setsu and Shigemichi have our back.

Round 2 - Yuriko strikes at us again, with Gina and Stella still targeting us. Setsu still has our back, but at this point there's three people clearly against Cassidy, and who knows what Raqio's thinking.

Round 3 - We need to get a new target, and it really needs to be one of the three against us. Yuriko looks very tough to crack and also has a human backing from Shigemichi, so I opt for Gina. Setsu's on board, but Stella and Yuriko of course are against it.

Round 4 - Luck is looking to be on our side, as Raqio and Shigemichi doubt Gina. Yuriko and Stella defend her, of course, but if we have the numbers to take Gina out, then that's one more night for Cassidy to survive.

Round 5 - An interesting development. Stella targets us, and it turns out we catch her in a lie, meaning she is Gnosia in this situation. Of course, Yuriko supports her, and Setsu and Shigemichi support us, but if we can survive this round, and it may just be possible depending on Raqio, then we can go all-out on the offensive against Stella next night.

...But sadly, that's not the case. Not only do my allies vote against each other, but Raqio finds me a bigger threat than Gina.

Well, this sucks.

The worst part about going to cold sleep or being eliminated is you don't find out the ultimate result of that loop, so we have no idea whether the Gnosia win this one or not. That said, I think it's safe to say the Gnosia would have won. Setsu had me fooled, and having Stella and Setsu on two different factions really helps the chances of them sneaking in a victory, especially since Yuriko seemed more concerned with killing us than actually finding the Gnosia.

And in case you were curious, the target that Yurkio protected from death was Gina. Thanks, Yuriko.

Whatever, let's just forget this ever happened and move on...

On the bright side, the person with a vendetta against us seems to not be here...

You replied that it was nothing, never mind.

We're back to seven, as Yuriko is not here.

Good.

Yup, that's right.

So we're back to another standard, no-thrills loop.

Round 1 - Setsu and Stella are our Engineer reveals.

Round 2 - Raqio and Setsu go against Stella, while Shigemichi and SQ defend her.

Round 3 - Gina's next to accuse Stella. Cassidy joins Setsu in also doubting Stella to not seem too quiet, while Shigemichi and SQ still believe in her.

Round 4 - Shigemichi goes for the standard "Ice Raqio" strategy, and Stella, Setsu, and Cassidy are on board. Only Gina bothers to defend Raqio.

Round 5 - SQ targets Shigemichi, to little success. Setsu, Cassidy, and Stella all have Shigemichi's back.

And things are back to normal, as Raqio goes to cold sleep on Day 1.

I pay a visit to Gina, as she seems trustworthy enough this loop.

And that's SQ down.

Here's the reports. Nothing too outrageous here.

Round 1 - Gina decides she's gone long enough without hating Shigemichi and targets Shigemichi. Once again, no one else jumps, as instead he gets defended by Setsu, Stella, and Cassidy.

Round 2 - Of course, immediately after that Stella starts suspecting Shigemichi. Setsu's not on board.

Round 3 - It seems the lines are being drawn around Shigemichi. Setsu and Cassidy are on his side, while Stella and Gina are against. Three is greater than two, but our side needs a target.

Round 4 - Thus, I target Gina. Nobody cares enough to argue for or against her.

Round 5 - Setsu really supports Shigemichi. Gina really doesn't support Shigemichi.

Go figure Shigemichi would be the one to tear this ship apart.

As you may have noticed, the game will actively tell us when all Gnosia are gone. Since this isn't the message we got....

Music: This is a Lie

Some info, only Gnosia can find out, or are only found by winning. That's why I try to win as much as possible.

Well, I certainly trusted the wrong side there. Whoops!

Maybe a new loop will make us feel better about totally beefing that one...

You replied that you like cats.

I'm feeling better already.

There's supposedly an option to say you don't like cats, but I refuse to acknowledge its existence.

Music: Enjoying My Routine

So, what exactly about cats do you...

We're all supposed to gather in the main console.
Ah, that "are we Gnosia or not" thing, huh? Sorry Comet, but I'm out. I wanna go back to sleep.
Yeah, I was told you'd probably say that, but to bring you anyway. Setsu sounded really serious about it.
Setsu's always "really serious"... OK fine, whatever. To the main console, I guess.

We've got two new characters for this loop, and they're both already more lighthearted than most of the rest of the crew. We definitely need personalities like them and Shigemichi to add some levity to this atmosphere of deceit and deception.

Cats? Never seen one. They were considered a luxury on my planet.

On to the usual stuff...

So we just have to weed out whoever's lying, right? That's easy.

Raqio! C'mon bud! That right there, that's exactly what your problem is!
Anyway, who among us has a high chance of being infected? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

We're up to nine crew, but still only two Gnosia, and no new roles. Since we're still Crew, this should be a good bit easier.

Round 1 - Our Engineer claims for this loop are Stella and Raqio.

Round 2 - Comet jumps on SQ, but Raqio and Shigemichi aren't convinced.

Round 3 - SQ decides to go after Setsu, but Chipie and Shigemichi aren't buying it.

Round 4 - Gina suspects Setsu. No one cares.

Round 5 - Comet goes after Stella next, with Raqio joining in. Chipie, Shigemichi, and Cassidy are all on Stella's side here.

For lack of a better option, Setsu gets iced. Consider it payback for the last loop.

Before the usual night activities...

Music: Enjoying My Routine

Perfect timing. Hey, lemme ask you something.

Let's see how well Comet can take a bad joke...

You replied that you are Gnosia.

I mean, Cassidy... You're a bad liar, right? Like Shigemichi and Gina.

Comet's another character with distinctive traits. Much like how Raqio is all about logic, Comet's focus is on detecting lies, as she's really solid at spotting liars. As a bonus, she's also completely terrible at telling lies, so if Comet distrusts someone, chances are decent they may be Gnosia.

You told her that she should be sure to move with caution.
Oh, because I might get targeted and attacked? Yeah, you're right. But I'm not much of a thinker. So I figured I might as well just sorta jump right in head first, ya know?

So yeah, Comet's probably one of my favorites in this cast, even if her design is a bit...insane.

Hey, an event!

How 'bout you and me combine forces so we can survive? Hehe, whaddya say?

You told Shigemichi that you want to collaborate.
Heeey, alright! Glad I asked!

Sometimes characters will ask to collaborate with you during the night phase. It doesn't really do much, just that the two of you are agreeing to cover each others' asses and maybe target the same people. There's no penalty for arguing against someone you're collaborating with or whatever, so usually you might as well.

Gina's gone. Oh well.

Reports - Stella claims Comet is human, while Raqio found Chipie is Gnosia. Hmmm...

Hm... So, what evidence do you have on which to base this attack on Stella?

Well, after everything Comet said, I'll put my faith in her.

Round 1 - Thus Comet accuses Stella, with Cassidy throwing in support. Chipie and Shigemichi fight back.

Round 2 - Chipie's quick to pick up on the "Ice Raqio" strategy, probably because Raqio said he's Gnosia. Shigemichi and Stella throw their support in, but Cassidy has decided Comet is right and therefore defends Raqio, deciding they're the true Engineer. Plus, if they are the true Engineer, that means the two Gnosia are Stella and Chipie.

Round 3 - SQ and Cassidy throw doubt on Stella. Chipie and Shigemichi are firmly in Stella's camp.

Round 4 - Comet and Cassidy are against Stella, Chipie and Shigemichi are still pro-Stella.

Round 5 - For...some reason, Raqio has concluded that Comet must be human. Definite Human (and its counterpart, Definite Gnosia) is used to confirm, using logical deduction, that the specific character has to be human/Gnosia.

It took me until this very moment to realize why. First off, let's see our two Engineers, Stella and Raqio. One must be Human, and the other must be Gnosia. If Stella is Human, then her report on Comet being Human is true. If Raqio is Human, then the two Gnosia are Chipie (from Raqio's report) and Stella (as the counter-claim for Engineer), meaning Comet must be Human. Therefore, either way Comet is definitely human.

And since Comet was the one that called out Stella for lying, that really makes Stella and Chipie seem suspicious...

Other than the two probable Gnosia, the rest of the votes go to the two suspects. That's Stella down.

For night, we visit Comet to celebrate. We just have to wait for the next day and then we take care of Chipie and celebrate our victory.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

I mean, it seems bullshit, especially with our high stealth, but if you look at it a certain way it makes some sense. Chipie can't kill Raqio, as that would definitely confirm Raqio as the Engineer, and thus confirm Chipie as Gnosia. The obvious target would be Definite Human Comet, but there's also a potential Guardian Angel that may be protecting her (and unfortunately I didn't think to check the log to see if Shigemichi did the obvious thing and protect Comet). Therefore, it's best to get the next-best player after those two, and unfortunately that was Cassidy. I mean, it'd be a long shot for Chipie to win anyway, but he probably did the right move in killing us. Still, I think the humans had this one in the bag, so I'm not too upset with this loss. At least here I feel confident my side won, even if we don't get to really celebrate it like you would in regular Werewolf. Still, hopefully the next loops will be kinder to us.

Anyway, soon things will be changing up, as next time we'll finally get to be the Gnosia. Hopefully things go better for us on the side of the bad guys!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU