Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

So our poll resulted in a tie between the AC Follower and Gnosia for first, thus I decide our first loop will be the one I haven't done yet, with the second loop we'll be with Gnosia.

This loop adds two more people, and we'll still be at 2 Gnosia, and AC Follower is generally tough to win as to begin with, so at least when I inevitably lose I won't feel that bad. Let's begin!

You know the drill. Time to--

Music: Enjoying My Routine

Oh, oh yeah. As for Otome, uh... Hm, I'm not sure...
Can a dolphin even be infected by Gnosia?

I believe we should assume that Otome is also capable of being infected by Gnosia.
Yes, if we can't be sure... then that would be safest. We need to factor in that risk.

*Squeak*! Gina...!
Hm... If what separates mankind from animals is intelligence and consciousness... Then yes... I agree.

Huh? Is Shigemichi, like, human...?

The first of the two new characters in this loop is Otome, who is not technically a human but for all intents and porpoises is one as far as Gnosia goes. She's generally friendly, leaning a bit more on the logical side but still can be a solid ally if you get on her good side.

As for the other...

Yeah. Even if he were Gnosia... There is definitely one more here among us. Let's just begin today's discussions.

With the crew getting larger and larger, I'm going to stop doing Round-by-rounds and do more general summaries of each Day. Let's begin!

Music: Suspicion

After a failed attempt by SQ to ally with Kukrushka, we get our Engineer reveals as Kukrushka and Comet. Meanwhile, Setsu is the only person to reveal as Doctor, so they must be the true Doctor.

Otherwise, the targets this time are Stella and Jonas. Stella gets multiple people targeting her, including Cassidy, with no defenders, while Jonas gets more of a mixed response. The tricky part about playing Gnosia or AC Follower is, unless you have high Performance, you have to be careful when you accuse humans or defend Gnosia, as that constitutes a lie and those lies could be spotted easily. Thus as a Gnosia-sided role I prefer to be conservative and not go on the attack unless I think there's a benefit to it, especially since Cassidy has lowish Performance to begin with.

Since Stella has no allies, she's the first to go down. At long as it's not us!

Music: In the Unknown Ship

You replied OK.
Phew, thanks. I didn't want to have to go see Sha-Ming alone.

As for why, well...

Music: For Your Fun

...that kind of explains itself right there, doesn't it?

This is Cassidy... A friend of mine.
Hm... Anyways. Don't mind me. You guys just do your thing.

I shouldn't have asked... Let me rephrase the question. Why didn't you show up?
Why should I? Say somethin' wrong and I might get targeted by the Gnosia, end up getting' wiped out, right?

Sha-Ming is all about trying to survive as long as possible, thus he has high Stealth and some handy abilities to take the heat off him.

Sha-Ming... You can't just do whatever you please. You'd better come to the discussion tomorrow.
Yeeeaaah, nope. Not gonna do it.
In that case, how about I just have you leave this ship? Through the airlock, by yourself.
Hey, hold up! You're basically telling me to go die, right?!

OK, you sound serious... Fine, I give up.

Well, that's settled then.

You think Setsu's joking, but...

Anyway, I finally have our Charisma hit ten so we can use our first skill, Step Forward. Now we can request Engineer and Doctor claims to step up at our request, which is handy if our play style is built around sussing out false claims and accumulating information.

After a visit to SQ, Comet's the one to bite the dust.

Now Sha-Ming is here, ready to lay low and be his Sha-Ming self.

Setsu confirms Stella is human, so we know our Gnosia allies are around. Don't forget that Comet was the other Engineer claim, so only Kukrushka remains. And since we're the AC Follower, that means Kukrushka is one of the Gnosia.

After a round of split opinions on Jonas...

Of course, if an Engineer claim dies, then the remaining claim has to be suspicious. The Gnosia may be wise to take advantage of it if it's between an AC Follower and human, but it's risky as hell to go for it if it's a Gnosia instead.

There's a couple rounds of this, and surprisingly Kukrushka gets some support as well. Funny enough, Raqio goes one round accusing Kukrushka and the next defending her!

Cassidy defends Kukrushka because, well, she's Gnosia. Also she did say we're human (which we technically are!)...

...But defending Kukrushka turned out to be a mistake, as it just puts the target on Cassidy. Despite a last-ditch effort to target Raqio, Cassidy is iced.

Turns out the other Gnosia was Raqio after all.

Also defending Kukrushka was what got Jonas to suspect Cassidy and thus initiate their ouster. Oops!

As an AC Follower, we did our job of taking one for the Gnosia and letting them sow chaos a little longer (even if Kukrushka should be a dead woman walking at this point). But we still lost since we didn't survive. Winning as an AC Follower is tough.

Anyway, time for a new round. The Crew is up to a massive 15, with three Gnosia now. Jonas and Sha-Ming will be our Gnosia allies.

It's time to meet the last of the cast!

Music: Ice Prison

Hehe, humans and Gnosia alike. If you wish to survive... Strive and struggle in desperation, with all your might.

Yuriko is back now, though at least this time she doesn't seem laser-focused on ousting us...

Music: Ice Prison

(Kukrushka's expression seems dark and gloomy. She seems to be afraid of Yuriko.)
We do not have much time. Let us begin the discussion. By the way...

Music: In the Unknown Ship

If you mean Remnan, he has been onboard for some time now. I believe you have met before...
I, uh... I'm not much of a talker, so...

Yeah... I think you're right.
I understand...
(Cassidy.)

(We need to be careful. Let's look out for each other, OK...?)

This is everyone. All fourteen characters have now been introduced, so now we're gonna have our first full-crew game of Gnosia.

Well, as scary as it may seem, let's let her talk.

So... you're not Gnosia, huh? Do you have some sort of proof?

That may be so... but we are still in danger. During the evacuation, three infectees managed to get onboard the ship.
Exactly. The Gnosia boarded the ship together with you people.

Hm... But anyone setting foot off the ship on Liu-An could have been infected. Can you deny this?
Remnan.

How do we know you two aren't just in cahoots?
...! N-no...! I...
LeVi.

We were the only two remaining onboard the ship. Does anyone else wish to claim the same? Speak up.

Yeah... Yuriko and Remnan couldn't possibly be Gnosia. That much is certain.

So we also get a new role, Guard Duty. The two characters that are on Guard Duty are Confirmed Humans, and this cannot be claimed by Gnosia or the AC Follower. However, if one of the people on Guard Duty is taken out before they reveal, then the other person cannot effectively reveal since they don't have the other Guard Duty role to confirm them.

Of course, it makes the two Guard Duty people much higher risks to be eliminated by Gnosia, but it also narrows down the potential Gnosia targets and helps out the Guardian Angel by giving some obvious targets to protect for the first couple days.

As far as this loop goes, we know Remnan and Yuriko were on Guard Duty. Thus it'd be foolish to target them for cold sleep, and we know neither is an AC Follower (nor Engineer/Doctor/Guardian Angel).

Anyway, the early focus is on Chipie. Cassidy is the only one to defend because joining the accusations just increases the risk of being caught lying.

After we get Comet and SQ as our Doctor reveals (one of which must be the AC Follower), there's a lot of focus on taking out Shigemichi and Comet.

While the Shigemichi focus was a distraction, it comes down to the wire between Chipie and Comet. Comet could be the AC Follower, so I probably should've voted Chipie, but I also defended him and helped accuse Comet, so I wanted to seem consistent at least.

On the bright side, it wasn't a Gnosia that went to the fridge.

You follow the trail of water down the hall...

You asked what the two of them are doing.
Otome's... helmet. I'm repairing it.
It cracked, and some water spilled out.
OK... this should do it.

Guy seems to have a hard time of things to begin with, so even though we're Gnosia scum and hate all humanity I want to show some sympathy and support for Remnan before we eliminate him and his kind for the glory of Gnos.

I just... like this sort of handywork. I'm glad I could... be of help.
He really went out of his way to fix this for me! Remnan is a really good person. I'm glad I realized that.
Oh, no... Even if I wasn't here... I'm sure... someone would've...

Sounds about right.

When you learn something new about a character or two, you get a Crew Update. I'll show this off in the next update, but as you play more and more loops, you may learn details about the various characters. In fact, when Setsu unlocked the expanded crew roster, we got details on everyone except for Otome, Sha-Ming, Yuriko, and Remnan. I didn't show it, but we unlocked Sha-Ming's upon talking to him with Setsu, and Yuriko's right before she revealed to be on Guard Duty.

Anyway, I decide to get some much-delayed payback against Yuriko. She's a major threat if she's not on your side, and she's a Confirmed Human, so she really makes the most sense unless we were really scared of the Guardian Angel.

If SQ was the AC Follower, she'd probably say Comet was Gnosia. Thus I'm thinking for now that SQ is the real Doctor, though that's not quite confirmed yet. Not great, but SQ's not a huge threat yet.

The first couple rounds are focused on Gina, with the group pretty split on her. I opt to be pro-Gina since I don't want to risk being exposed as a liar.

Otherwise, we have three rounds of mostly-failed suspicions of Sha-Ming, Shigemichi, and Jonas, as all three are thoroughly defended.

So naturally, it is Chipie that goes to the fridge.

Sometimes, as a Gnosia, your fellow Gnosia may have advice to give on who to target next.

Music: The Truth

Hm... OK, so like...

They generally give good advice on next targets. You want to make sure they're not doing something dumb like targeting the Engineer when a Gnosia counter-claimed, but otherwise if you don't have a good option, they'll lean you in the right direction. Of course, the only risk is that, as the only Guard Duty role left, Remnan is going to be a sure target for the Guardian Angel if they're still around.

So guess what happens!

Nothing too exciting to start. SQ states Chipie was human, a bit of Raqio suspicion, SQ and Setsu collaborate. Then things ramp up with a focus on Gina.

After some shade at Stella, next Raqio goes after Kukrushka, leading her to use her Regret skill, which can garner a lot of sympathy. She ends up getting four people defending her, including Cassidy! What can I say, I felt like it.

Gina's been a big target the past couple of days, so it makes sense she's the one to go next.

Otome's trusting us, it seems, so it seems good to keep her alive for now.

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have killed Raqio. They excel at logic, but there's not much logic for them to work with right now, so maybe I should've left them alive until they inevitably got iced by everyone else. Oh well!

Yeah, I'm really thinking SQ is the Doctor now. I'm pretty sure the AC Follower would've lied about one Gnosia by now.

One bout of Shigemichi debate later...

Now that we're almost out of the tutorial stage and have more than two Gnosia to work with, we can really see the Gnosia pretending to go against each other here. Sha-Ming decides Setsu's a good target, but Jonas takes this opportunity to defend them, probably because there's been little given to have people doubt Setsu yet. A couple others join the defense.

Our Engineer claims are Jonas and Shigemichi. Since Comet was the AC Follower, then Shigemichi must be the actual Engineer.

If a Gnosia or AC Follower claims the Engineer or Doctor after Day 1, their reports are auto-generated. This can understandably bite the false claim in the rear end if their random reports end up exposing contradictions, so it's a risky move to make. It might have been worth it for Jonas if the real Engineer weren't still around, but since he is...

Despite some doubt thrown at Cassidy's way, and some more at Setsu, things work out in our favor, as Shigemichi is taken out. Hopefully Jonas can get away with this...

Setsu was trusted by most of the ship, and they're a solid all-around character, so they make sense as the next target for elimination.

Jonas is clearing too many people. I don't know why he didn't target Stella by lying about her being Gnosia, but then this is Jonas we're talking about.

Oh, and SQ cleared Shigemichi, she's very likely the Doctor.

After an early look at SQ, suspicion falls on Sha-Ming. I didn't mean to join the doubt against a fellow Gnosia, but it's really not a bad gambit, especially if they're becoming a big target. You don't want all the Gnosia to be uniformly on the same side, as that means if one is exposed, the allies will be too obvious.

After that, the focus goes on both Otome and Jonas.

So much so that it results in a revote.

...and despite the extra rounds being all about how sketchy Jonas is, the Gnosia crew and Stella still stick with Otome.

By a 5-1 vote, Jonas and Otome are frozen. Sha-Ming is the dissenter, though Cassidy only voted to Freeze Everyone because they were last and thus knew which way the wind was blowing. I'd have preferred to keep Jonas alive, but at least we take another human down with him.

Stella doesn't seem to trust us much.

Oops!

OK, this really, really super-duper suggests SQ is the Doctor.

Unfortunately, this is where things turn south. We're down to five people, and two Gnosia left, so if we can get one more human frozen we'd win. Sadly, this is also the point where the humans realize that Sha-Ming and Cassidy are the sketchiest ones left.

Despite a failed attempt to target SQ (Remnan is Confirmed Human and Kukrushka is difficult to freeze on a good day), we end with a tie against our Gnosia buddy.

Amusingly enough, this means Sha-Ming and Cassidy have no choice but to go against each other. Not that it really gives much hope for the other to survive...

It's fine. If Cassidy survived this round, they probably wouldn't the next. Likewise, I don't think Sha-Ming is going to last this game either.

I wish I had remembered to check the game log to see what lies were caught, but this was one of those times I forgot to do that. Oh well!

Otherwise, Gina was the Guardian Angel.

Now that everyone is available, we get full control over criteria!

Crew can be from 5 to 15. Cassidy and Setsu are always available, otherwise the other characters are random if not a full crew. Gnosia can range from 1-6, though the max depends on the Crew set-up of course, as you can't have three Gnosia on a five-person crew or they'd auto-win.

Otherwise, we can now opt whether to have an Engineer, Doctor, Guardian Angel, AC Follower, or Guard Duty. In addition to the other roles from last time, we can also choose to be on Guard Duty ourselves!

I'm not going to take a formal vote on this, but if you have any suggestions, I'll try stuff out and see how it goes!

Next time, though, now that we've got a full cast, I'll take a break from the loops to show off the bios and stats of our cast of characters! I may also show the comprehensive in-game manual that has some pretty helpful tips for playing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU