Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I haven't shown it yet until now, but here's the load game screen. Three slots, nice character artwork.

Welp, last time we won so hard it destroyed the universe. Let's maybe tone down our victory shenanigans a bit this time!

Music: In the Unknown Ship

Hmph... Is this one of those stupid "Anyone who disturbs our peace is an enemy" things?
Sorry, but no. Like the Gnosia, this enemy known as a "Bug", hides among us.

What?! For real?!
I'd assume so, yeah... I mean, Setsu doesn't joke around about stuff like that.

Basically in the same way as Gnosia. We need to see through their disguise, and put them into cold sleep. However... A Bug cannot be eliminated by Gnosia attack.
Whaaat?! So they can't be killed by Gnosia? drat, I'm actually kinda jealous, honestly...

That's, like, super confusing... So like, what even *is* a Bug, anyway?

Even the Gnosia cannot eliminate something that doesn't exist. But since they "don't exist", being examined causes inconsistencies to occur, basically erasing them. At least, I think this is the case...
Therefore... Those with Engineer credentials need to prioritize the discovery and elimination of these Bugs?

Ah, a precipice in front, a wolf behind, as they say. Hehe, interesting indeed!

So Bugs are our final role of Gnosia. As said, Gnosia can't kill them, but they'll die if investigated by the Engineer. They can still be sent to cold sleep, and like the AC Follower they can claim to be the Engineer or Doctor, leading to a potential four claims of a role.

(I did a bit more digging into these Bugs. It took me about 20 loops to work all of this out.)

We're definitely not the Bug again. We're plain old Crew, no twists this time. That does mean someone else is the Bug, though...

So yeah, we've got all options available. This will be our first full game of Gnosia with all the roles properly available. Gameplay-wise, all that's left are skills to obtain, and as we learn more, the rest of the crew will get more powerful skills that will make our lives difficult. So that's something to look forward to!

Alright, let's begin!

Music: Suspicion

The day starts off with role reveals. The Doctor reveals are Kukrushka, Otome, and SQ, while the Engineer reveals are Gina and Sha-Ming. Guard Duty is Raqio and Jonas, so for once Raqio gets to take a break from the fridge.

Other than a failed attempt by SQ to collab with Raqio, there's only one round of actual targeting. Since it was from Yuriko, and it was focused on easy mark Comet, this makes for an easy first day.

With an actual win, we get some much-needed bonus EXP. Since we got Charm up, it's time to focus on Stealth so we don't get taken out so drat easily all the time. For now, my focus is to not die, and after that work on Performance a bit so we can actually get away with lying while Gnosia.

We've got an event in the cafeteria, so let's check it out.

Music: Enjoying My Routine

Gnosia, huh? Well, as for who I'd least want to be Gnosia, probably Setsu, I guess. I mean, Setsu's cool, you know? Not the kinda person I wanna have to suspect.
Setsu as like, Gnosia... Daaaamn. But like, that's like, totally possible if you think about it, riiiiight?

Oof, right on the spot... Luckily, our choice here doesn't matter because-

Oh, uh, hey Setsu... Hehe, so you like, overheard, huh?
I would say that you're the suspicious one here.
Well, I mean... So whaddya have to say about that, huh, SQ?

I'm not angry. I'm just saying, if you're going to try to put Cassidy and me under suspicion, then you'd better be ready to be suspected yourself.

SQ goes all SQ to work her way out of suspicion. Luckily it's only Shigemichi around, but still.

SQ is good at playing with people's perceptions like that. She exaggerates and dramatizes things, and attempts to take advantage of the situation.

Exaggerate basically amplifies the strength of your statements. It seems fine enough, though really the thing setting it back is the 15 Performance requirement. It's not something I used much in my first playthrough, and I'm not sure if it draws more attention to you or what, but once I unlock it I may play with it and see what happens. Or maybe not, who knows!

But looking back on it now... I could've handled it better.

Even with as many loops as Setsu's been on, they're still learning and improving their game. It's best for us to keep doing the same!

Some guy named Remnan got eliminated.

Reports:

SQ (?.D) -> Comet was Human.
Kukrushka (?.D) -> Comet was Gnosia.
Otome (?.D) -> Comet was Human.

Gina (Enemy.E) -> Setsu is Gnosia. (Caught in a lie!)
Sha-Ming (H.E) -> Remnan wasn't Gnosia.

Well, that was illuminating! We caught Gina in a lie, so she's an enemy, though still possibly the Bug or AC Follower. However, since Sha-Ming is the only other Engineer and claimed on Day 1, we personally know Sha-Ming is the true Engineer.

As we went over last update, this doesn't mean Setsu isn't Gnosia, just that Gina doesn't know what Setsu is. We learn nothing new about Setsu, but just catching one of the Day 1 Engineer claims in a lie is powerful information. Sadly, Sha-Ming's report is useless here, but if he lives for awhile we might find some good leads.

Meanwhile, the Doctors will take some more time to sift through.

There's some suspicion thrown at SQ and Gina, but in the end it's Chipie who gets the brunt of the focus, though interestingly Otome got a few votes too. Definitely something to watch out for...

Music: A Sip of Wonder

Yes. We humans... We must huddle together to wait out the storms of, um... naughtiness...

You told Jonas that you want to collaborate.

During the night, we collab with Jonas. Well, this should be a journey.

Shigemichi is the next to go down.

Reports:

Otome (?.D) -> Chipie was Human.
SQ (?.D) -> Chipie was Gnosia.
Kukrushka (?.D) -> Chipie was Human.

Gina (E.E) -> SQ is Human.
Sha-Ming (H.E) -> Setsu is Human.

Here's our current report info. We now know Setsu is not Gnosia. Could still be AC Follower or Bug, but for now they're not a threat. The Doctors are still a mess, but all these Gnosia reports could work out sooner or later.

While there's a bit of Setsu suspicion, there's a good bit for Gina as well.

The important thing here is that at no point during either debate cycle this day did anyone bother defending Gina. Despite getting suspected multiple times, no one, not even her possible Gnosia allies, bothered stepping up to protect her.

So much for our alliance!

Reports:

Kukrushka (?.D) -> Gina was Human.
SQ (?.D) -> Gina was Gnosia.
Otome (?.D) -> Gina was Human.

Sha-Ming (H.E) -> Stella is Gnosia.

Sha-Ming gets us a solid lead and finds out Stella. Hell yeah! Also, I'm leaning toward SQ as the real Doctor now due to her Gina report. If SQ really is the Doctor, we just have to eliminate Stella and the game's over! Of course, there's still that pesky Bug potentially out there...

There's some suspicion toward Kukrushka, Setsu, and Sha-Ming, but I decide to go after Stella since we know Sha-Ming is legit.

Otome just barely edges out Stella though, and honestly I'm fine with that call. Otome's been getting a lot of votes recently, so I'm assuming some of the other humans caught her in a lie.

If SQ is Doctor, then AC Follower/Bug have to be Otome and Kukrushka in some order. If Kukrushka's the Doctor, then with this information Setsu is an AC Follower since Sha-Ming said they're human and Setsu wasn't eliminated, and one of SQ and Otome must therefore be Gnosia, with Stella and Comet being the other two. This would mean Gina was the Bug.

If Otome is the true Doctor, the humans are screwed.

At any rate, Sha-Ming bites the dust.

Reports:

SQ (?.D) -> Otome was Human
Kukrusha (?.D) -> Otome was Human

Well, Otome wasn't Gnosia. That's somewhat helpful.

...Actually, with this information and Sha-Ming's elimination we have won.

I just hadn't realized it yet. Raqio's a logical force to be reckoned with, and writing this update I'm still trying to parse how they've proven Stella is Gnosia. Let's break it down and see if I can figure this out...

...In fact, I am going to spoiler this entire thing so you can all try to suss it out for yourselves.

Stella must be Gnosia because Sha-Ming said she was, so Raqio must know Sha-Ming is the true Engineer. While Cassidy knows this is true, this is because we caught Gina lying. Therefore, there must be something that says Gina was Gnosia.

There's two ways to look at this. The first is to find out SQ is the true Doctor, which I've tried but am struggling with because I can't even discount Otome, let alone Kukrushka. The second is to catch a contradiction in Gina's reports.

Let's assume Gina was correct. Then SQ is Human (and not a Bug) and Setsu is Gnosia. SQ did find Gina was Gnosia, but SQ could still have been the AC Follower and lying about that. Otome was Human since both Doctors cleared her, so then at least one of Kukrushka and Sha-Ming must be Gnosia. Well, Sha-Ming clearly wasn't... Aha!

So let's continue. Sha-Ming was eliminated, so he can't be Gnosia. Thus Kukrushka would have to be Gnosia in that situation, but that's not the important part. This means Sha-Ming would be the AC Follower since if he was a Bug, he wouldn't be eliminated. Therefore, SQ must be the Bug in order for her to lie about Gina being Gnosia. But then SQ would've been eliminated after being investigated by Gina! Therefore, SQ must be the Doctor, which would mean Gina was a Gnosia, a contradiction from our original assumption that Gina was the true Engineer. Therefore, Sha-Ming is the true Engineer, and Stella is Gnosia.

...Whew! It took me twenty minutes to figure out what Raqio did in seconds. When Raqio isn't on ice, they can be pretty drat good!

As a bonus/hint for those you still trying to figure it out, there's also proof Setsu is a Definite Human.

Though some suspicion stuff pops up here and there, mostly SQ, when there's a Definite Enemy they're going to get unanimously voted for except for someone like Kukrushka, as seen here.

And with that, things should be good! Let's just hope we took out the Bug as well...

Music: A Ray of Hope

Thanks. It was all thanks to you...

How about you just be glad that you survived, hm? Anyone weak or dumb enough to die here, well... That just shows how weak or dumb they were, really.

You know what? Where I was born, on Gliese, people of low worth are treated as such... As "low-value objects". As they should be.

Well, that kinda takes away some of the joy of this victory.

That said, Raqio does have a bit of a chip on their shoulder from their upbringing, it feels like.

But who cares? We've got our first winning streak!

Anyway, checked the log to confirm my suspicions, and yep, Otome got caught in a lie and thus got targeted despite never really getting focused on in debates.

But hey, that's teamwork. I helped spot Gina, Setsu and Yuriko found out Otome, and Raqio exposed Stella with help from SQ's reports, not to mention Sha-Ming's reports, may he rub one out in heaven.

Now let's actually try out Guard Duty! And we've got a nice partner in Yuriko, who's always great as an ally and as a bonus is also a much bigger target than us!

Let's do this.

That's rude, Comet.

Otherwise, the first round is pretty plain. Cassidy and Yuriko out themselves as Guard Duty, Setsu and SQ are the Doctor claims.

And Otome gets her revenge on Comet's terrible comment by setting her up...

...for a rather big icing.

Being a confirmed human is nice, since you don't have to worry about talking too little or too much. You can just blab about whatever!

Oh no, what a tragic loss...

Reports:

Setsu (?.D) - Comet was Human.
SQ (?.D) - Comet was Human.

I guess Comet wasn't Gnosia! She was still rude though.

We collab with Chipie, and our Engineer reveals are Gina and Jonas. Neither may be the Engineer though if it was actually Comet or Sha-Ming....

We're pretty suspicious of Otome for...reasons I've forgotten at this point, honestly. It doesn't matter, Yuriko dislikes Stella, so Stella must go.

Uh, well then! That's one of the Engineer claims. Does that mean Jonas is Gnosia, or was there an AC Follower among the two and the Gnosia decided to take advantage of the lack of Gnosia claims?

Reports:

Jonas (?.E) -> Chipie is Gnosia.

Setsu (?.D) -> Stella is Human.
SQ (?.D) -> Stella is Human.

Once again, we iced a human. As for Jonas, he's definitely suspect, but he could still be the actual Engineer, with Gina having been an AC Follower. Just no way of knowing right now...

And the Day 1 investigations that weren't mentioned, for the record.

I mean, there's others that were doubted, but... I mean, it is Jonas.

Now we've got Kukrushka accusing Shigemichi of lying. We need info, so...

Also, the rare time I'm not happy Yuriko is gone.

Reports:

SQ (?.D) -> Jonas was Gnosia.
Setsu (?.D) -> Jonas was Human.

Finally, a contradiction! Doesn't help us now, but maybe later! Hopefully...!

Kukrushka and Shigemichi are sniping at each other, but otherwise the focus here is on Setsu.

Raqio saying that and Cassidy not dying made me think Raqio is human.

I mean, that makes sense for SQ to say.

Skipping ahead, this was basically a bunch of people accusing each other and chaos descending.

Raqio has it out for Chipie, Kukrushka has it out for Shigemichi, and I just don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

I end up deciding Raqio's more reliable than Cassidy's own ally and thus jettison Chipie.

Huh. That's either a blessing from the Guardian Angel, or a potential curse from the Bug...

SQ says Chipie was human.

This is one where I'm not getting much to work with here.

Kukrushka finally gets what she wants, and Shigemichi is taken out.

Our reward?

Yeah.

That said, I got played well, and even if I did suss out Kukrushka's plot, Remnan was just the perfect person to get the Bug role. I wasn't winning that one regardless, and really the humans can't win this one unless Kukrushka and Remnan tie in the vote and both get sent to cold sleep. So another loss, but not one I feel bad about.

Let's change things up. We'll reduce the crew to just ten, still keep three Gnosia, but remove the roles for Guard Duty, AC Follower, and Bug. Lack of GD hurts humans, and Bug is nice for both sides, but lack of AC Follower means that if two people claim a role, one must be Gnosia. And of course, since I chose Random for the role, I get stuck as Gnosia with Comet and Jonas. Jonas is...iffy, but Comet's one of the worst Gnosia allies you can have.

When you choose less than fifteen people, random characters are removed. The only characters that will ever be in every loop you make is Cassidy and Setsu.

Just part of the challenge!

My strategy here is simple. Occasionally defend an accused human, otherwise keep my mouth shut. This way Cassidy doesn't get exposed as a liar, which is still very possible with their low Performance (though that's now the stat I'm focusing on increasing).

Engineer claims are Jonas and Stella. This actually may be good. Jonas is chaotic, sure, but if he doesn't randomly get everyone's attention, he can be quite the adept liar, while people already are suspicious of Stella.

Jonas and Cassidy (!) get attention, but luckily Shigemichi is Shigemichi and goes down.

That's...probably not a bad loss. It really depends on whether Kukrushka liked us or not, but that's one less thing to worry about I guess.

Oh wait, I was the one who chose to kill her. Yeah, that's probably the safest move I could've made.

Reports:

Stella (H.E) -> Kukrushka was Human.
Jonas (G.E) -> Remnan is Human.

So far so good. Stella's report was fortunately wasted, so as long as my Gnosia allies don't do anything dumb like-

oh no

Comet and Setsu are the Doctor claims. While most of the time a Day 2 claim doesn't mean anything concrete, don't forget that only one Gnosia can claim a role (besides Cassidy, but I'm gonna avoid breaking these rules for now). Thus Setsu is the true Doctor.

Setsu does get suspicion, but I'm maintaining my strategy. Even if it means I'm supporting the actual Engineer and Doctor over my Gnosia buddies, screw them, I just want to live.

It turns out to be a tie between the Doctor claims. Ugh...

Well, at least our vote didn't matter!

Agreed, Setsu. Agreed...

Reports:

Stella (H.E) -> Raqio is Human.
Jonas (G.E) -> Gina is Human.

Jonas isn't taking any chances here. Will this work? Who the hell knows, this is Jonas we're talking about.

Fortunately it comes down to Remnan and Gina, and I don't really give a poo poo about either.

OK, you do that.

Gina trusts us, so that makes Raqio an easy target.

It doesn't matter though since only Gina and Stella are left now, so the Gnosia have won.

Music: Shooting Stars Go Away

Hehe... Behold! This is what happens. The great Gnosia know humans all too well.

...What the gently caress, Jonas.

But yeah, that's two wins in one update! We've already almost doubled our win total!

Also we really lucked out in picking Kukrushka, as she both spotted Jonas in a lie and was the Guardian Angel!

Unsurprisingly Comet sucks at lying. Oh well.

That's enough for now. Until next time!

And if you want, if you want to redistribute our stats post your suggested spread here. That option is now available to us. And if there's any weird game set-ups you want to see, let me know and I'll set them up!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU