Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Had some requests so I did a couple. First off, another Guardian Angel run.

I decide to bump it up to 4 Gnosia to make things a bit spicier, but I completely forgot to re-enable Guard Duty, AC Follower, and Bug. Oops! I didn't even notice for the entire loop, though it didn't really affect things, as you'll see.

Don't think I've shown it off, but when there's static shown in a loop, there's something unique about that loop. A special event may happen, or something else that's weird.

Music: Suspicion

In this case, it's nothing really important, just Setsu murdering Sha-Ming pre-game again.

I want to say this happens rarely, but I don't know for sure whether this is a one-time thing or something that can pop up every now and then.

And yes, Sha-Ming is indeed not going to appear in this loop. Don't worry, he'll come back to be an rear end in the next one.

Anyway, things start off as usual. We get our Engineer claims in Shigemichi and Jonas, Yuriko and Shigemichi collab, Raqio naturally gets targeted on Day 1...

But something happens when Shigemichi and Jonas are the only ones to claim the same role.

Pardon...?

Music: Flying Yellow Cucumber

A game, eh...? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the video games of late.
Then how 'bout a retro game? Let's face off on "WTF?! Human Farm"!

How nostalgic. The ol' "Dub-Farmz"... I will accept... hehe... but do you really believe you can beat me?

Y-yeah... OK. Alright Jonas, I'll see you later, in the rec room!

Wow, this is exciting...

So yeah, after this round we'll have an epic video game duel to decide which gamer is the true Engineer.

Anyway, blah blah blah, Gina gets frozen despite everyone ignoring her, who cares, let's get to the good stuff!

Music: Red Alert

Hehe, you're actually pretty good, Jonas. I've never seen anyone hold their own against "Game Captor S" so well.

Hehe, I can hold my own against anyone at "WTF?! Human Farm". I've been playing it for several centuries, after all.

Nope! I'm gonna stop him! "Satan's Naughty Satellite"!

AND THE WINNER IS...

Music: In the Unknown Ship

That's right! Jonas has managed to take down the legendary Game Captor S himself!

...Well then!

Oh yeah, Jonas has kinda been around a while despite being 33ish. Oh well, I'm sure that's not relevant!

Also, fun fact, whoever wins depends on who is the actual Gnosia. In my first playthrough, Shigemichi was the winner and of course also revealed himself as Gnosia to the same results.

It was also one of the last events I unlocked, while here I lucked out in getting it on Loop 20.

Not to be lost in all of this is that Shigemichi must be the true Engineer, so he's an obvious target to keep around.

I'm sure this will be fine...

Our only report is that Shigemichi says SQ must be Gnosia. Which means that SQ must be Gnosia.

Kukrushka takes this time to make the sole Doctor claim and say Jonas was Gnosia (duh). Doctor report also reveals Gina was human.

The real Doctor could've been Gina or Raqio, so we can't trust her yet for stating the obvious with Jonas.

Anyway, logically Shigemichi must be the Engineer, which means SQ must be Gnosia.

That said, Cassidy's Logic is crap, and they don't have the skills to call out Definite Human/Enemy, so it's a challenge just to convince others that SQ is a threat. If Raqio were still alive, we could just rely on them to take charge here, but of course they had to die earlier. Of course, Yuriko and Setsu and a couple other characters also like to logic things out, but they just...don't here.

There's a possibility that the regular AI logic-deciding stuff might be thrown off by Jonas being called out via cutscene, or to the AI "An idiot inadvertently saying they're Gnosia" doesn't count as them actually being Gnosia. It's also possible that Cassidy just sucks too much to argue the logic side of things, as there's a difference between being able to use basic logic to deduce things and actually arguing that logic effectively. As much as Raqio sucks with social scenarios in general, explaining logic (off-screen of course) is something no one else can rival them at.

Instead, the targets shift to Chipie and Comet, with the latter getting iced.

Poor Cassidy and Shigemichi.

Reports:

Kukrushka (?.D) - Comet was Human.

Shigemichi (H.E) - Yuriko is Human.

Chipie finally joins us in calling out SQ, but he's the only one.

Cassidy defends Shigemichi, and then Yuriko uses a new skill, Seek Agreement, to encourage others to also defend Shigemichi. It makes since, since the two are allies and all.

Of course, this turns out to be a chaotic round, so it's a three-way tie.

Unfortunately, we lose one of our anti-SQ allies in the process.

Losing Yuriko also sucks since she was apparently human after all.

Reports:

Shigemichi (H.E) - Cassidy is Human.

Kukrushka (?.D) - Chipie was Human.

Kind of a waste for Shigemichi's investigation, but I guess it makes sense from his end since we've been so loyal to him (As GA, I've been protecting him every night) so he wants to make sure we're not messing with him as cover or anything.

There's a collab between SQ and Kukrushka, ugh. Eliminating SQ just got more difficult.

Otherwise, everyone goes after Stella, and she ends up a pretty easy target. The only reason it wasn't bigger was because Cassidy and Shigemichi are zeroed in on SQ every round.

Anyway, let's shake things up with another event.

Music: Enjoying My Routine

This time, it's Kukrushka and Otome chatting it up in the lobby. Well, as much as Kukrushka can chat it up, anyway...

*Squeak squeak!* Oh Kukrushka, you're so hilarious!

The screen shifts back and forth to suggest this effect.

You asked the two of them what they're doing.

*Squeak squeak...* Cassidy... Kukrushka was just telling me a funny story. It was SO hilarious...
(Kukrushka quietly spins her head around.)

Um, well, you see... Kukrushka is speaking through gestures.

(She nods with a smile.)
Kukrushka is amazing, being able to communicate like this! But... while it certainly is amazing, she only uses it to tell funny stories.

(She shakes her head.)

You know, that doesn't really surprise me...

Kukrushka's new fact is something we've already clearly seen in action, while Otome's makes sense considering she's a beluga whale dolphin apparently.

Anyway we're dead, rip. We were doing so well too, well besides the obvious with SQ. And those idiots will probably let her win. Oh well, I tried!

There's also unique lines for when events happen mid-debate.

And the only reason Chipie joined us against SQ was because he caught her lying. Oh well.

This time I figure out to re-enable the other roles when I was wondering why I couldn't choose AC Follower.

The idea here is I got a request to show off claiming a role while not on the crew-side, so I figured I could be a bit more reckless doing it as an AC Follower. Plus since it's incredibly difficult to win as an AC Follower anyway, I won't feel bad when I inevitably get caught lying and frozen as a result.

I generally try to avoid claiming roles as a Bug or Gnosia-sided role because my personal playstyle in Gnosia (and really other social deduction games) is to avoid claiming roles in general, preferring to lay low. But hey, it's a LP, so I want to show off as much as I can, plus it'll be nice to push myself outside my comfort zone and slowly learn to get better at it for future games.

Oops... Looks like the light of my life just might be about to get extinguished. These Gnosia, they don't mess around...

Good news, sort of! Sha-Ming is alive for this loop!

Things start off bad, with Cassidy being the first target overall, with a good amount of support no less.

There's "State Role" and "Step Forward". Step Forward asks a role to step forward, while State Role has you state what role you are. You can usually tell which is which based on the roles available.

Doesn't stop me from confusing the two constantly. Anyway, I got Raqio and Jonas to claim Doctor.

Well, that leaves us claiming Engineer. I figured Doctor would be easier, but there's a slightly greater risk of being exposed through logic if we mess up our Doctor reports, so Engineer is fine. It also turns out that Sha-Ming is the real Engineer. That's...interesting. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for us.

Of course, we have no idea who the Gnosia are, but it's better to defend people than accuse them early on.

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but Raqio gets iced on Day 1.

We're getting a good number of events this update! That's why it's only two loops long!

This one features Comet and SQ.

Music: In the Unknown Ship

Huh? Well that sure was like, totally out of the blue. Why would you even like, ask me that?
You just seem kinda, I don't know, "not very human". Like some kinda unknown being.
Cassidy! Cassidy! I'm being like, totally attacked right now, riiiight?!

Hehe, OMG I'm gonna like, totally blush if you keep staring like that!
I can't even tell if you're serious or not! So are you? Or aren't you?!
I am, I am! I'm like, totally human. I totally don't even like, lie or whatever.

You don't have to like, be like that...

You answered that you are indeed human.

Cassidy is human. Unfortunately.

This actually might be pretty useful. I'll try asking everyone next time. "Are you human?"

SQ's not wrong.

Anyway, this is a fun ability to use if you're human-sided and have high Intuition. You make people say they're human, in the hopes of you (or other high-Int characters like Comet) catching Gnosia in a lie, plus it also raises suspicion on those who don't respond. Of course, sometimes humans won't play along on principle, particularly more stubborn characters like Yuriko, so not responding doesn't mean they're Gnosia or whatever. It gives some good targets, though!

Not sure if this catches AC Followers and Bugs as well.

When you fake a role, you can choose who to investigate (if Engineer) and also whether the target appeared as Human or Gnosia (for both Engineer and Doctor). I decide reporting Kukrushka as human is a good way to get her on my side, as a loyal Kukrushka is a powerful ally, even if she really is human.

Someone named Gina disappeared.

Reports:

Sha-Ming (H.E) - Yuriko is Human
Cassidy (AC.E) - Kukrushka is Human

Jonas (?.D) - Raqio was Gnosia.

A nice bonus of faking Engineer is we alone know Sha-Ming's reports are legit, so we can use those to our advantage as the AC Follower to try to find our allies. In this case, we know Yuriko is not an ally.

Jonas's report makes sense regardless of what he is, so nothing to work with there.

A bit of suspicion on Stella to start, followed by Otome and Setsu revealing as Guard Duty. Hmm...

This gets followed up by-

Music: Back Street Cats

For me, well, she's got this beautiful black hair... Haha, I guess I'll never see her again, but still...
Um, we're talking about people we like? I'd... really like to see the professor who created me again...
Yes... Everyone on this ship is so wonderful. Hehe, how embarrassing!

Yeah, we'll get into this in a bit.

Oddly, we seem to be doing well so far! Kukrushka and Otome are on our side so far.

It's a bit of a mess, but it ends up being Chipie who gets iced.

Anyway, let's see just what the hell Sha-Ming was up to during that debate.

Music: For Your Fun

You ask Sha-Ming what the hell he's talking about.

I started talking about random bullshit - on purpose! That kinda throws them Gnosia off their game, ya know? They start thinkin' like, "I can't even be bothered to eliminate this loser." If they don't feel like dealing with you, you got a better chance of survival!

I'd say that's true, but he's telling this to the sole person who counter-claimed him as Engineer, and thus someone who's a clear enemy to him...

I mean, this scene just happens independently of what's going on in the game, I just think it's a funny coincidence.

Anyway, this unlocks the Small Talk skill, which takes a lot of heat off you when you use it. It's apparently pretty powerful, and it's also fun to use. There's three topics available (Food, Love, and Scary Stories) with each character having a line for them. Some characters will pretty much never get involved in Small Talk (particularly Yuriko), but it's a fun way to learn about people and also get the focus off yourself.

I'll show off unique ones as they pop up.

I don't know if Jonas is human or not, but there's no harm in saying he's human. If he is human, we don't blow our cover if he dies. If he's Gnosia, he knows we're an AC Follower or Bug and thus a potential ally.

That's fine with me, Setsu's a threat when they're against you.

Reports:

Jonas (?.D) - Chipie was Human

Cassidy (AC.E) - Jonas is Human
Sha-Ming (H.E) - Kukrushka is Gnosia.

Well, that helps Cassidy out more than anything if the rest of the crew is trusting us! We now know Kukrushka is our Gnosia ally, so we can focus on defending her when possible.

Huh? Whose baby would I wanna have? C'mon, I can't talk about that in front of everyone!

Sha-Ming's not the only NPC that can initiate Small Talk, and it can also be shut down by some NPCs, Kukrushka in particular.

Things get dicey for a moment when Stella, SQ, and Sha-Ming call us out.

But Otome and Kukrushka are solidly on our side, so at least we're not alone this time!

We also take this opportunity to go after Sha-Ming and try to establish ourselves as the true Engineer.

Otome, confirmed human, goes out of her way to say Cassidy is cool. Even Remnan agrees!

Luckily all this Cassidy hate is for nothing, as only Stella voted against us.

Despite our BFF Kukrushka trying to get more focus on Sha-Ming, it's Remnan who goes to the fridge. A shame since he could've been another great ally...

You know, I'm not taking kindly to Stella trying to take us out. That seems totally like something a Gnosia would do, don't you think?

Oh, Kukrushka. Why would you do this? Luckily he can be explained away as an AC Follower, but still, this won't look good for Cassidy...

I appreciate Yuriko mourning Sha-Ming's loss in her own unique way. Setsu would be so proud...

Reports:

Cassidy (AC.E) - Stella is Gnosia.

Jonas (?.D) - Remnan was Human.

Yep, it's already beginning. This is not good. Thanks, Kukrushka...

SQ targets Otome. A confirmed human.

Yeah.

Shigemichi tries to start up small talk, but Kukrushka shoots him down as well.

Now both Cassidy and Kukrushka are being targeted. Oof.

As a hail mary, I go after Stella.

It...delays the inevitable, I guess! On the bright side, neither Kukrushka nor Otome voted for Stella, so we may have a chance to survive this after all.

Comet really has it out for us, but at this point my best chance is to go all-out against Stella.

And...

...success! I gotta admit, I was not expecting to pull this off, let alone to this level. I mean, even Yuriko voted with us, and she hates Cassidy!

Of course we pay a visit to our other BFF Otome. We may want the Gnosia scourge to wipe out humanity, but Otome isn't "technically" part of humanity, so I hope she gets to stick around!

We don't want to call out too many Gnosia or else we might get exposed with logic, and Yuriko seems pretty solidly human, so let's go with that.

Well, that's a shame.

Reports:

Cassidy (AC.E) - Yuriko is Human.

Jonas (?.D) - Stella was Gnosia.

If Stella was indeed Gnosia, taking her out kinda sucks, except she really wanted to see us gone, so not really. She might've thought we were the Bug, so that's understandable, but still. No one stands in Cassidy's way, friend or foe.

Comet goes very hard this round, leading discussions against Jonas, Kukrushka, and Cassidy at various points.

Even though Yuriko changed her mind, she was persuasive enough to get SQ ousted. I'm fine with that, SQ was another person adamantly against Cassidy.

At this point, we can only report on Comet and Otome left. Reporting on Otome is stupid, and Comet's really starting to get annoying, so let's take care of her.

Oof. Not good. Either the GA or the Bug struck here.

Reports:

Cassidy (AC.E) - Comet is Gnosia.

Jonas (?.D) - SQ was Human.

I've got bad news.

Otome doesn't trust us anymore.

I guess it's just Cassidy and Kukrushka against the world...!

You asserted that you really are human.
Hm... Let it be known. I, my own self, am, indeed... HU-MAN!

OK, cool, got it. Thanks. So, why didn't the rest of you guys say it? That's pretty sketchy, you know.

The writing's on the wall at this point.

We try to target Comet, and it works juuuuust enough to split the vote.

We managed to cheat death once, can we do it again...?

Nope!

Sorry, Kukrushka. Please take care of the rest of these pathetic humans for us! For the glory of Gnos!

Yeeeeeeah, not gonna happen. Humans know Kukrushka is the Gnosia, she's gone in the next jump.

Turns out Stella was indeed the second Gnosia, while the last one was loving Raqio. Of course.

SQ was the first to catch us in a lie. Since she was the Bug, she probably didn't really give a poo poo, but basically used us as an easy scapegoat to take attention off her.

Also this was just a coincidence, as "Let's talk about love." happened right before Otome decided to defend us. Still, I feel bad I broke Otome's heart like that.

Of course, Comet zeroed in on Kukrushka relatively early on.

And Cassidy not much long after. This again comes back to the "meat of the lie", as despite Stella actually turning out to be Gnosia, Cassidy was still lying because they didn't know Stella was Gnosia when they said it.

Of course, the GA protected the target, in this case Comet. In all honestly, this was a good thing, as we would've been exposed as a Definite Enemy if Comet did get killed. I mean, it was still obvious Cassidy was a fake at this point, but at least we had an argument that we were the real Engineer.

Not that it mattered after we reported Comet as lying. Comet already knew Cassidy and Kukrushka were liars, Yuriko probably knows now after protecting Comet from death, and now Jonas and Otome finally caught Cassidy lying on the last day. If not for that last lie getting caught, then with Otome we might have actually been able to take out Comet. Ah well, still made it a lot farther than I expected, so I'm happy.

Still open to suggestions for next time. For now, we're just still playing around, unlocking events and skills and doing whatever stuff sounds fun, so feel free to give suggestions for whatever weird stuff you want to see! We can also alter our stats now in a roundabout way so if you want to see stuff like high-Intuition runs or whatever let me know! Until next loop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU