Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Writing this up about a week or so after I played it, so I may forget what the hell I was doing in a few of these. Oh well!

Anyway, for this batch of loops I figured I'd decrease the number of people to streamline things a bit and make these loops go quicker. So this one is ten people, two Gnosia, no Guard Duty or Bug. Also Cassidy is the Doctor this time since we've only done it like once so far.

Music: Suspicion

Well, we're off to a great start.

Our Engineer claims are Jonas, Chipie, and Gina. Gina's lying here, so she's either Gnosia or the AC Follower.

Of course, if we're able to catch Gina's lie, Comet is also gonna catch it.

On the bright side, we're unopposed for Doctor, so we're in the clear.

Jonas and Remnan are able to catch Gina's lie and take her down.

Well, then. Jonas could very well have been AC Follower, but at least we caught one of the Gnosia!

Chipie's the only Engineer left, and he says Setsu is clear. Chipie's either the true Engineer or the AC and thus has no clue about Setsu, so if nothing else, Setsu is probably fine.

Music: Enjoying My Routine

Also it takes until Round 3 for Stella to state the obvious and that Cassidy is Definite Human.

There's some focus on Chipie, and he gets frozen. I think that's a bad move since the AC Follower can't do anything, even if Chipie is one, and the second Gnosia is going to be someone without a claim, so it's better to leave Chipie alive (especially if he is the true Engineer) and just ice random people until we nail the Gnosia.

Then again I voted Chipie so as usual, I'm basically yelling at myself over my own poor gameplay.

We collab'd with SQ by the way, so now she wants to talk to us.

You replied that yes, you'd like to go all the way.

I was just like, kidding...? I didn't think you were totally gonna be like, all over me like that.

SQ likes to be overly-flirtatious to throw people off-guard, but she has trouble handling it when it's thrown right back at her.

You replied that you trust her.

LPer's note: I don't trust her.

If I get into trouble, I'm gonna like, call you. Don't like, leave me hanging, OK? So, if you like, get into trouble, call me, OK? I'll totally help you out! But if it looks like you're totally screwed, you're like, on your own!

Like, OK!

This lets you ask someone to help you if you're being targeted, and usually they'll stick their neck out for you. I have no clue how effective it is, especially with the high stat requirement, but it's probably gonna be most effective from your friends and collaborators. They'll probably protect you from everything except if you're Definite Enemy or something (and even then someone like Kukrushka will still defend you).

We lose Stella (which makes sense, since it'd be dumb for a Gnosia to out a Definite Human so Stella would've likely been human, and there's a strong chance Cassidy is protected by the Angel if they're still alive), and unsurprisingly Chipie was Human. I mean, if the second Gnosia is iced, the game will end, so of course every one of Cassidy's reports will be "this character was human", so I'm gonna skip them.

Skipping ahead a bit, there's a bit of suspicion flying all over, of note toward Setsu, Comet, and Shigemichi, but it's that last fellow that gets iced.

Shigemichi was not the Gnosia, and we lose Comet as well.

At this point, we're down to four people: Cassidy, Setsu, SQ, and Remnan.

I feel Remnan is the most likely suspect of those left, so that's who Cassidy targets.

SQ, meanwhile, opts to go after Setsu.

Remnan and Setsu think it's SQ, so they take advantage of the split vote to out SQ.

Turns out, that was the correct move. Just like sometimes you can play as best as you can and still lose, sometimes you play like a loving idiot and still stumble backwards into a win. That's social deduction games for ya!

Music: Shooting Stars Go Away

You asked what Setsu meant by "Kukrushka incident."

Ah... I see what's happening. The "Cassidy" in this loop hasn't had that experience yet.

So Cassidy, for you, this is... loop number 25? I'm actually on my 61st loop. And the "Cassidy" I'll meet in my 62nd loop could be totally different... For example, it could be the "Cassidy" of the second loop.

Oh by the way, here's a piece of advice. It's best to try experimenting with different settings in Setup. Apparently that makes special conditions more likely to occur. Your own role is especially important. It's best to try out the roles of Gnosia and Bug, not just Human. Special conditions mean a higher possibility of getting crucial info. The sort of info that's hard to get by simply going through the loops lazily and just sort of letting them happen.

Alright, take good care of the next "me", OK? Hehe, what a weird way to say goodbye, huh?

So that's a bit of a twist, huh? Setsu and Cassidy are looping in different orders, so we may have points where Cassidy knows more than Setsu, especially the more that Cassidy loops.

As for the other thing, we'll address that in a moment.

First, the results. Chipie was the actual Engineer, and Remnan caught SQ lying during the last day, which made the difference in that loop.

Music: The Silver Key

Once you and Setsu get through a loop together after all the tutorial stuff (assumingly on the same team) you then unlock Event Search. This will automatically pick settings that are conducive towards triggering events. Note this doesn't mean it guarantees events, just makes them more likely. I also think if you change even one setting then whatever special criteria may boost the chances of events may go away, but I don't know for sure.

You can spam X to set up a bunch of different set-ups until you find one with a role you like (Guardian Angel is useful for events where you want to keep people alive, for instance, and some require being a Gnosia or Bug), so it's still not hard to go towards a particular event if you know how to trigger it.

For this one, we remove the Engineer role and become Gnosia with Sha-Ming.

We take people outta this lovely universe and send them to Heaven! Right?!

Sure, why not.

Glad Sha-Ming and Cassidy are in agreement for once.

Things start off on Gina and Stella, who are generally pretty easy targets in the beginning.

And our Doctor claims are Gina and Setsu. Of course, one is the AC Follower, but which one is which...?

Stella's an easy freeze overall.

Well, I don't have many other options, I guess. You'll do for now.

Hahaha. Oh Raqio, you poor fool.

Heh heh, sure.

You know my Gnosia priorities at this point. Comet and Yuriko are always the biggest threats, and Yuriko's not here...

Reports:

Setsu (H.E) - Stella was Human.
Gina (AC.E) - Stella was Gnosia.

Well, at least we know who the AC Follower is! While Gina would make an easy target, it's nice to reward the AC Followers for maintaining their faith in the true Gnosia cause.

Naturally, Setsu is the target at the start.

You joined in, talking about food.
Good, huh? I love me some good ol' food! Let's have LeVi order us up some munchies! I want an omelette!

Of course.

Raqio naturally gets suspicion because Raqio, but we're allies with them. Even if we're on opposite sides, if Raqio's dumb enough to trust Cassidy, Cassidy is dumb enough to defend Raqio!

A three-way vote, huh.

The "good" news is we defended Raqio, though that also means it's now down to Setsu and Sha-Ming. One would be great, the other would be bad for us...

So naturally, it's Sha-Ming who goes to the fridge.

I go for Chipie for...reasons, I guess. Chipie's a solid all-rounder, I guess that was my logic for killing him? It's been a week, so I don't remember.

Reports:

Setsu (H.E) - Sha-Ming was Gnosia
Gina (AC.E) - Sha-Ming was Human

Gina's doing her job so far. If we can get the doubt on Setsu, we'll have a good chance.

A few accusations fly around, as usual, but once again it's Setsu and our Loop BFF Raqio who are targeted.

...And it ends again at a tie.

After a failed "No Freeze" attempt, Cassidy argues to Sleep Everyone, which passes 3-1 (pro: Cassidy, Gina, Kukrushka, anti: Shigemichi).

Raqio served their purpose admirably.

It doesn't matter at this point. As long as Gina is alive and realizes I'm the Gnosia, I win.

I probably eliminated Kukrushka because Shigemichi's too obvious to be Gnosia, and Kukrushka's unwavering loyalty could complicate things compared to Shigemichi's simple-mindedness.

Gina says she doesn't relish lying, but just look at her face. She knows she's got this won.

I'm not one to screw the AC Follower over. You help me, I help you. Gina definitely fought to help the Gnosia, so it's only fair she gets to experience the win with me.

That said, I'm upset there's no special ending for this one. Just thrown straight to the results screen.

Poor Shigemichi, found out way too late...

We're back to Gnosia, and this time we've got two allies but no AC Follower. The only roles are Engineer and Guardian Angel.

Setsu and Chipie are solid Gnosia allies to have, at least. They aren't exciting, but they're both middle-of-the-road and competent enough to be solid allies.

Uhhhhh...

I guess there aren't many folks like me though, eh? It's not like I look all weird like this because I want to, anyway.

But, well, haha. Before I was able to become a cat, I became Gnosia.

So a lot of you noticed that there's something...off with Chipie's cat. And yeah, we're finally addressing this.

We'll learn more later, but Chipie and the cat are actually fused together, as part of this "felinification" process. So no, the cat is not the actual Chipie controlling a host body, Chipie is himself. Or rather, was himself, until he became Gnosia.

Engineer claims are Chipie and Otome.

Remnan gets some attention, but he ends up splitting with Setsu.

Luckily we're persuasive enough to keep Setsu around for now, but if they're already getting this much attention, that's not a good sign.

There's several Chipie cutscenes this loop. Let's check in with him!

Music: In the Unknown Ship

Huh? Are you maybe misunderstanding? We're not hunting humans.

And while we slowly work our way through, the humans hunt us. Haha, calling us enemies of humanity. We're nothing special, really.

Chipie raises a point, in that life's just not fair for the poor Gnosia like us. We should fix that.

In further proof that life is unfair, the Guardian Angel blocks us from taking out Comet.

Reports:

Otome (H.E) - Sha-Ming is Human.
Chipie (G.E) - SQ is Human.

He probably could.

I mean, it's SQ. She's probably planning the same thing, even if she is human. Hell, especially if she's human.

Anyway, the story here is people really don't trust Setsu, but there's just barely always a bigger fish to fry, in this case Shigemichi.

Haha, there's about a 50-50 chance of it working. Good thing I was able to hook up with SQ.

You know, I wouldn't. Especially not to SQ.

Anyway, we can finally Collaborate ourselves. This has its uses, but it's another skill I rarely used myself, since I'd just wait for people to ally with me instead.

Oh yeah, we take Kukrushka out. I didn't screenshot it, so you'll have to trust me on this. Or don't, this is Gnosia after all!

Reports:

Otome (H.E) - Comet is Human.
Chipie (G.E) - Cassidy is Human.

I don't know if I like Chipie checking us, as this could easily backfire.

Despite Cassidy trying to start something on Gina, Setsu is finally taken out. They could only stay alive for so long...

We're out of Chipie cutscenes, so let's skip to us taking out Sha-Ming.

Reports:

Chipie (G.E) - Gina is Gnosia.
Otome (H.E) - Gina is Human.

So we're probably gonna get a showdown between the Engineer claims now that the obvious target in Setsu is gone.

Naturally, Gina decides to go after Chipie.

Yes, I'm... human.
*Squeak*... Can... can I call myself "human"? Well, I'm certainly not Gnosia, at least.
You asserted that you really are human.

Chipie would rather not risk getting caught in a lie, and SQ does whatever she wants. Of course, that just puts more suspicion on Chipie...

Voting luck breaks down against us, as all it takes is Gina and Otome voting together to take out Chipie, with everyone else just going with whoever.

Otome at least doesn't seem to hold any ill will against us targeted her the previous night.

Finally.

...Welp.

I think this is because there's only four people left in Cassidy, Gina, SQ, and Otome. If Gina was Gnosia, then Otome would also be Gnosia since Chipie would've been the real Engineer. This would've ended the game, therefore Gina is Human. This also proves Otome is the true Engineer, and thus proves Cassidy is Gnosia.

So yeah, things just kinda fell apart due to logic. Ah well, it happens.

Gina was the Guardian Angel, and interestingly there were no lies caught at all the entire game. People just really didn't like Setsu.

The game really fell apart for the Gnosia during the vote where Chipie got iced, but there wasn't any real gently caress-ups there. Everyone just voted on their own, and it worked out for the humans. Cassidy also would've been smart to take out Otome, but it would've just proven Otome as the real Engineer and clear Gina anyway, and while it'd have been easier to argue against Gina, SQ, and Comet, it's still more than likely Cassidy would've been iced.

Ah well, can't feel too bad about that one.

Anyway, I think the universe is overdue on being destroyed.

Engineer claims are Cassidy, Sha-Ming, and Setsu.

Comet's always an easy first kill.

Just because we're enemies this loop doesn't mean we're still not friends. Let's check in with Setsu.

By the way, Cassidy. You aren't currently collaborating with anyone, are you? I can only speak from my own experience, but... Forming cooperative relationships can be helpful for gathering info.

People like SQ in particular, who are somewhat two-faced. In a previous loop, I was finally...

Oh, uh...
OMG, what were you like, talking about?
We were just talking about how, um... We want to know everything there is to know about you.

Ehehe, weeeelllll... I could like, let you in on a few things, maybe...

Oh, SQ.

Too dirty to live.

Reports:

Cassidy (B.E) - SQ was Human
Setsu (?.E) - Kukrushka is Human
Sha-Ming (?.E) - SQ was Human

Well, that's good info. SQ is definitely human since she got killed, so right now it seems like Sha-Ming is probably the real Engineer.

Anyway it doesn't matter because everyone randomly decides to ice Cassidy. Welp!

Amusingly, the two to lead the charge against Cassidy, Stella and Jonas, were also the two Gnosia. Sha-Ming was the AC Follower.

We didn't even get busted for lying, we were just an easy scapegoat. The Gnosia knew the Engineer claims were the Bug, AC Follower, and the true Engineer, so it makes sense to go after the claims to take out two of their biggest foes. It just works out for them that they correctly picked the Bug. Oh well!

Next time, as usual, I have no idea what will happen. I guess we'll find out together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU