Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Teams thus far:

Juventus
Manchester United
Liverpool
Chelsea?
Manchester City
Arsenal
Tottenham (lol)
Real Madrid
Barcelona
A.C. Milan
Atletico Madrid
Inter Milan

oh....

oh god...

it's all come crashing down!!!!!!!!!

Someone said put this in the OP and i guess I should do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_fd012dz0

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I legit won't give enough of a poo poo about this to watch it. Champions league is fun because of the stakes, this feels like it won't have any.

Might give Hartlepool a better shot at getting promoted back into the football league though, so gently caress off premier league teams to the pyrite goose you're going to slaughter.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
loving Arsenal and Tottenham lmao.

This whole thing is monumentally retarded and just another example of lovely American owners ruining football*

*From a PL perspective.

The players absolutely do not want this poo poo I bet

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 18, 2021

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

To be 100% honest, I think Gary Neville's position on this is the correct one: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/gary-neville-premier-league-clubs-super-league-european-liverpool-manchester-united

Burn every one of these loving clubs so bad they never think to reach for this again. Otherwise, they'll do it again in 5-6 years.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This is total garbage and I’m disappointed, though not surprised at all, to see Milan in there.

From what I read in the Italian papers today, UEFA is building some legal case against this, including barring not only the clubs, but the players from playing in all uefa competitions which includes internationals. That also includes leagues themselves, meaning that this dumb pile of friendlies would be the only thing the listed clubs could play in.

It really does stink of American bullshit and I hate it.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

rip football

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The clubs are now officially announcing their involvement.

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1383907893091520525?s=20

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I understand how most of these clubs can unilaterally decide to do this, but do real madrid and barcelona's members get a vote on it? Seems like they should.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

kick americans OUT of football

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Would there be legal recourse to strip the clubs of their ownership? Even a forced buyout/sale?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
gently caress this. I hate this for Spurs and I hate this for the game. No upsides here.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Bold of UEFA to threaten to kick these teams out of the champions league next year when a few of them aren't going to be in it anyway

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Juventus owner Andrea Agnelli has officially resigned from the UEFA executive committee.

I guess all I can say is lol.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
They all have.

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1383913633017581569

So what happens to the rest of the Europa and Champion's Leagues this season? Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and Man U are all still in those competitions - are they gonna be allowed to compete? WTF is going on

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 19, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I think Tariq Panja is one of the main people covering the story, so stay glued to his Twitter feed for future updates:

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1383768402091671568

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fully relegate all of them now for bringing the game.into disrepute for maximum lols

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Void the seasons of all of these clubs. Forfeit their results and tell them they won't be playing again. Get Rodger's Leicester to take the title from Klopp's Liverpool. Its what they loving deserve. Oh, and void Liverpools title anyway, and I say this as a fan.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is there really that much more money in this than CL/Europa league. I get that for the English teams it's nice to know they'll always have a spot but Barca, Madrid and PSG already have such unfair advantages with regards to domestic league that it's not like their spot was ever at risk. Or is the plan to do this AND Champions League, in which case, who the gently caress wants to watch that much? Although I guess with all the extra games they can finally have game time for all the talent everyone hordes.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

This is a terrible idea but it's somehow still not as bad as the planned changes to the champions league

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is insane and terrible. I love it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wish I could relegate all.of them now because j would lol

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

BWV posted:

Is there really that much more money in this than CL/Europa league. I get that for the English teams it's nice to know they'll always have a spot but Barca, Madrid and PSG already have such unfair advantages with regards to domestic league that it's not like their spot was ever at risk. Or is the plan to do this AND Champions League, in which case, who the gently caress wants to watch that much? Although I guess with all the extra games they can finally have game time for all the talent everyone hordes.

https://twitter.com/MarkKleinmanSky/status/1383816174610239488?s=20

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

BWV posted:

their press release is vague in where the gently caress it's coming from, but apparently yes
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1383912453054947335

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Guess I'm rooting for PSG now in the champions league. What a world

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

BWV posted:

The point is that they control all the money, not UEFA.

This is from the website:

https://thesuperleague.com/press.html

quote:

In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.

So all the clubs get an absolutely stonking amount of cash up front - gently caress knows where this is coming from though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How much I like something will always be based on how much it pisses fifa off.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

BWV posted:

PSG and City are incredibly not involved, I’m guessing precisely because of what you mentioned. Bayern the other noteable absentee with a vice grip on their domestic league.

Gorn Myson posted:

Void the seasons of all of these clubs. Forfeit their results and tell them they won't be playing again. Get Rodger's Leicester to take the title from Klopp's Liverpool. Its what they loving deserve. Oh, and void Liverpools title anyway, and I say this as a fan.

Inter are about to win the title and honestly it would own if this happened and Atalanta get it instead.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Guess PSG and Bayern are just going to trade Champions League wins for the next decade, that’ll make for a riveting competition

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gorn Myson posted:

Void the seasons of all of these clubs. Forfeit their results and tell them they won't be playing again.

I heartily support this plan for Serie A

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Apraxin posted:

their press release is vague in where the gently caress it's coming from, but apparently yes
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1383912453054947335

Gotcha. Ok that makes much more sense then from their perspective and I guess they will could even sell future "franchise" slots to enterprising billionaires who buy other teams. What a mess.

e: lol just saw that Florentino Pérez is the chairman. This is just money laundering.

BWV fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 19, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The goal is very clearly to build a US-style system where every involved franchise is worth billions and can only lose value by the entire league going under, individual performance has no impact.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
UEFA are threatening to cancel the remainder of this year's CL and declare PSG the winner, and stage an EL final with Roma vs Villareal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/beefanddairy/status/1383922117213777931?s=20

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol loving hell

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

UEFA are threatening to cancel the remainder of this year's CL and declare PSG the winner, and stage an EL final with Roma vs Villareal.

:amen:

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
congrats to founding ESL franchise the spurs

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

As a London Hotspur fan I’m looking forward to the Papa John’s Super League

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
still laughing that spuds are a part of this nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

PSG and City are incredibly not involved, I’m guessing precisely because of what you mentioned. Bayern the other noteable absentee with a vice grip on their domestic league.

City do seem to be involved, at least according to their website: https://thesuperleague.com/press.html

lmao the website says "solidarity" just lmao