Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Have Dortmund and Porto play a semi-final with the winner meeting PSG in the CL final, job done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Supposedly Dortmund, Bayern and PSG are the 3 remaining founders yet to be announced

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
A franchise-based clique in an attempt to funnel cash flow from North America and Asia to create maximum value for the shareholders and ROI for the funder of the project. Right now the superleague seems far more likely than not to implode onto itself in a few years

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I just hope things get incredibly petty from here on. Ban em, ban their players, burn down football as we know it.

At the end of the day it's just venture capitalists playing around with big companies, Liverpool are the next Toys R Us.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Doctor Teeth posted:

lmao the website says "solidarity" just lmao

Though thinking about it, it is solidarity of a sort...

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
About the only thing I can see having any real impact here is if the players go against it. Even busting the teams down the domestic tiers isn't going to bother them if they can operate the money printing machine in the meantime.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Leeches like Raiola and Mendes must be making GBS threads themselves with anticipation of the paydays they’re going to get if this goes through.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WgtnPhoenixFC/status/1383928167023316994

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gigi Galli posted:

Leeches like Raiola and Mendes must be making GBS threads themselves with anticipation of the paydays they’re going to get if this goes through.

Seems to me they'd be more worried about this loving up their gravy train

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jose posted:

Seems to me they'd be more worried about this loving up their gravy train

Think about the money they can demand if clubs know they’re getting huge amounts regardless of what their “league” results are.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Vando posted:

Have Dortmund and Porto play a semi-final with the winner meeting PSG in the CL final, job done

Dortmund’s probably just waiting to see how the wind blows before joining this officially. They’ve always been one of the names when this topic came up before. They’re on record I believe saying they would join if possible. Just do a Porto v PSG final

Sorry, correction: gently caress PSG just give it to Porto

Redczar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 19, 2021

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

european
super
league

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I haven't been paying attention to any of this for a while; did this just come out of nowhere as a surprise? This seems insane.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Teddybear posted:

I haven't been paying attention to any of this for a while; did this just come out of nowhere as a surprise? This seems insane.

It's been talked about off and on for years. Always sort of lurking in the background that the Glazers wanted it and maybe Real Madrid, but never any details and never any real momentum behind it. Seems since they've got JP Morgan on board, now the brakes are off and they're going to make a go of it. Which I hope nobody watches and the idiots pulling this lose money, but that's not how global society works anymore apparently.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gigi Galli posted:

Think about the money they can demand if clubs know they’re getting huge amounts regardless of what their “league” results are.

The clubs won't need good players, though.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
amazing

https://twitter.com/james_corbett/status/1352652225563271169

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Fucks sake, this is the endgame of Arsenal having American ownership. If these teams force this through and the national leagues ban them it's going to cause complete mayhem. It even throws the rest of this season into doubt...

I have to say one thing I am finding amusing is that Spurs are in this. You last won a league title in 1961 what the gently caress are you doing you clowns

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

sassassin posted:

The clubs won't need good players, though.

That’s a good point

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I mean if they really get kicked out of their domestic leagues (which I doubt they will) then they might as well have a salary cap and tie player salaries to revenue like other north american leagues. actually i guess that would probably need a bunch of other crazy things to happen first so forget it. just thinking about other ways this might lead them to cutting costs now that the threat of being replaced is no longer on the table.

e: guess we have to see how the payouts will work .

BWV fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 19, 2021

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

WHERE IS SPURS ON THIS LIST:

https://twitter.com/james_corbett/status/1352652217900265472?s=20

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Wenger was talking about wanting to join a euro supet league since 1992

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i can literally feel the condescension dripping off this statement
https://twitter.com/SuzyWrack/status/1383906479913111561

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1383934138382569473

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I guess one good side of this whole thing is that it's a kick up the arse to uefa/fifa and stupid ideas like the Champs league rework and 48 team world cups in loving Qatar. They all need to gently caress off.

If Arsenal become a franchise that kills football for me though and that's sad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is bullshit and I hate it and I hope UEFA and the domestic leagues burn these clubs down instead of going along to get along.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Flayer posted:

lol I've bad news for you and it didn't happen today

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Pisssssssssssss

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

Fucks sake, this is the endgame of Arsenal having American ownership. If these teams force this through and the national leagues ban them it's going to cause complete mayhem. It even throws the rest of this season into doubt...

I have to say one thing I am finding amusing is that Spurs are in this. You last won a league title in 1961 what the gently caress are you doing you clowns

Every league needs its Cleveland Browns

This seems like something that will blow up in a few years but meanwhile the clubs will have taken a few hundred million dollars out of HF or PE money or whoever the gently caress is funding this and then we'll go back to the current status quo

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is the idea for this to replace Champions League games for these clubs?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The DPRK posted:

Is the idea for this to replace Champions League games for these clubs?

Yes, seems like the idea is for them to stop playing the Champions League and instead play in their own guaranteed sandbox where they make more money and can never get the spigot turned off by being crap and finishing seventh.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Honestly I hope the domestic leagues burn these teams right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Flayer posted:

I guess one good side of this whole thing is that it's a kick up the arse to uefa/fifa and stupid ideas like the Champs league rework and 48 team world cups in loving Qatar. They all need to gently caress off.

Reminder your owner was one of the major driving forces behind this to.say himself money

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Oh, that life

vyelkin posted:

This is bullshit and I hate it and I hope UEFA and the domestic leagues burn these clubs down instead of going along to get along.

I think the point the controlling interests of these 12 (but really 15) clubs have made is the domestic leagues would be burning down their own houses if they tried. The revenue that the domestic leagues and Champions League enjoy come overwhelmingly from fans of these teams.

What would be the asking price for the sponsorship of a London derby between West Ham and Crystal Palace? What is the overseas TV revenue going to be for your European final between Leicester City and *trip to Wikipedia* ...Roma?

It sucks, but it seems inevitable that the super rich oligarchs would eventually turn on the slightly-less rich aristocrats that pretended to be in control of the situation. This is either the endgame or all the leverage needed to cause the domestic leagues and UEFA to bend backward as far as required to maintain the illusion of status quo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

araeris posted:

I think the point the controlling interests of these 12 (but really 15) clubs have made is the domestic leagues would be burning down their own houses if they tried. The revenue that the domestic leagues and Champions League enjoy come overwhelmingly from fans of these teams.

What would be the asking price for the sponsorship of a London derby between West Ham and Crystal Palace? What is the overseas TV revenue going to be for your European final between Leicester City and *trip to Wikipedia* ...Roma?

It sucks, but it seems inevitable that the super rich oligarchs would eventually turn on the slightly-less rich aristocrats that pretended to be in control of the situation. This is either the endgame or all the leverage needed to cause the domestic leagues and UEFA to bend backward as far as required to maintain the illusion of status quo.

Nationalize football clubs.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
gently caress every single club involved in this, I hope you all go bust.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Load of poo poo. Ban them from absolutely everything. Don’t subscribe to whatever poo poo will be required. gently caress them.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

araeris posted:

If this is the case and the big clubs have all the leverage then it seems like the leagues should just tell them to gently caress off right now because this is just the start. Rip off the bandaid.

Also lol at Arsenal and Spurs being in this

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Other clubs can become “big clubs” if this goes ahead. Seems mental that people think the big names are required to me. gently caress them

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
is there really such a guaranteed market for this that these clubs just went ahead and did it? the reaction is unanimously extremely negative across the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

tbp posted:

is there really such a guaranteed market for this that these clubs just went ahead and did it? the reaction is unanimously extremely negative across the board

Has anyone polled China, India and Malaysia?