Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sair posted:

This is honestly better than the first season.

I honestly feel that part of this is because it's not (ahem) pulling its punches. Letting the heroes fail sells the bleaker, more tragic elements of the world and creates a sense of genuine peril that makes their victories sweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BD sales have become kind of a weak indicator of popularity, since I want to say overall sales have been trending down.

Which kinda sucks because physical media is something I'm rapidly getting back into as I realize how much stuff is flat out not getting 4k or even 1080p transfers on physical media in lieu of being streamed in poo poo quality.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

BD sales have become kind of a weak indicator of popularity, since I want to say overall sales have been trending down.

Which kinda sucks because physical media is something I'm rapidly getting back into as I realize how much stuff is flat out not getting 4k or even 1080p transfers on physical media in lieu of being streamed in poo poo quality.

There has been a decline overall, and it's not always a direct way to find a show's success (for example, Vinland Saga got poor Blu Ray sales, but really good TV ratings, and the manga seemed to get a sales boost), but it's widely available data and you can compare like to like within a year to get a little more context.

Megalobox sold about 364 discs on average per volume. Meanwhile, the new Full Metal Panic that year sold 3,738, the abysmal Gundam Build Divers managed 1,142 (and that had twice as many episodes to bring down the average), Hisone to Masotan got 788, Planet With hit 1,363, and for some of the big original hits of the year, you have A Place Further Than The Universe at nearly 14K a volume, and Gridman at 10K.

(To balance things out, Granbelm sold 252 discs on average, and Juushinki Pandora barely scraped to 155. Megalobox didn't fail dramatically or anything. It was just one of the many shows that didn't make a big splash when it came to home video.)

Again, I'm not trying to say that Blu Ray is a be all and end all. It's just one way a show can succeed, and if that doesn't bring in much money but the show still gets a sequel, it's probably doing well with another revenue source. And since Megalobox didn't have much merch or an original manga to sell (well, it had Ashita No Joe as a loose inspiration, but I figure that one didn't need the help), I think streaming is a likely source here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gently caress, just got around to watching the latest episode, and i'm at the point where i feel confident saying this is one of the most interesting second seasons of a series i've ever seen

the way this builds on everything in the first season in such a natural way while going with a wildly different tone to the point it's almost an entirely different genre is just some great stuff

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

This show is really not pulling its punches, no pun intended. This episode was rough. I hope itís building up to a redemption. It feels like it, but you never know.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Life's just better with Ominous Gloves.

This is just to survive. There's no shame in surviving.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Squidster posted:

This is just to survive. There's no shame in surviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Goons Steal?
No Dignity!

Show good