Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The first season had way more hype but season 2 felt far more impactful. I was a bit disappointed that everything just went fine but Sacchio saving Joe from his fighting thrill and getting him the happy ending was really nice. If Joe hadn't mended his bridges he would have died in the ring with Mac. Good rear end season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, I really admired how everyone that had a conscience got out pretty well.

Mac remained a Hero, Joe remained a Legend (out of the ring for years, went toe to toe with Mac), Liu on his way to recovery.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll be honest, even for a boxing anime the way boxing fixes everything bordered on silliness. Boxing fixes drug addiction, acquires two different land deeds from the mafia, throws a billionaire in jail, and heals a half dozen men's traumas and insecurities. That's something I'd expect from a balls to the wall shonen like Ring ni Kakero, and not a show that opens with the main character trying to kill himself on painkillers before puking with the best vomit foley used in anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't want that to be taken like I don't enjoy the happy ending, though. I actually do enjoy how the writers have given Joe a happy ending twice now despite the audiences expectations that he'll die or be maimed. I know especially in season 1 a lot of people were almost salivating for someone to die in the final match, more than once I've talked to people who have said they would have liked it more were that the case. Stubbornly resisting that sort of fate because it was how people think a manga ended 50 years ago is the most Joe thing about this show, I feel

Sair
May 11, 2007

Boxing didn't solve the problems, the friendships we made from boxing did.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sair posted:

Yeah, this is very important. If it were up to boxing alone, Joe would've gotten himself killed to get that rush from violence, and Mac would've fallen straight into Mac Time and likely gotten irreversible brain damage. What saved them from those fates were the bonds they learned to embrace - Joe with Team Nowhere, Mac with his wife and son.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sair posted:

That, and professional competitive boxing was heavily tied into the trap of toxic masculinity and exploitative capitalism that the protagonists needed to escape from before it destroyed them. There's a reason it genuinely didn't matter who won the final match.

The first season showed the power and agency that boxing could give the downtrodden and the outcast, and the second season showed the limitations of that power and agency and the price it demanded in return.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

While I still have problems with the way the show used Joe's drug addiction, the way it handled his eventual return to boxing is a lot more elegant than Ashita no Joe, where his mid-manga turn from underground boxing hooligan to bantamweight champion contender is called unrealistic even by characters in the manga!

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 2, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, this is very important. If it were up to boxing alone, Joe would've gotten himself killed to get that rush from violence, and Mac would've fallen straight into Mac Time and likely gotten irreversible brain damage. What saved them from those fates were the bonds they learned to embrace - Joe with Team Nowhere, Mac with his wife and son.

Also, Yoshimura and Yukiko finding meaning and purpose to their lives outside the capitalist rat-race. Arguably, they and Mikio are the three most influential people in S2, and they don't punch anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I think all of the above things are what makes s2 such a great response to / refutation of Ashita no Joe.
Yes we all love boxing but that’s not the most important thing in life, and it’s not worth it to throw your life away in the ring.