Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
At least the dude got to do everything he wanted to do before the end. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sair posted:

This is honestly better than the first season.

I honestly feel that part of this is because it's not (ahem) pulling its punches. Letting the heroes fail sells the bleaker, more tragic elements of the world and creates a sense of genuine peril that makes their victories sweeter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I am extremely glad that that Mac Time didn't go where I was hoping it wouldn't go.

I mean, this seems like a pretty clear worst-case scenario. The dude's 'superpower' comes from traumatic brain damage forcing his artificial nervous system into autopilot and letting him surpass human strength and speed. We've got a tech CEO with a messiah complex weaponising concussions to create the ultimate boxer and make a poorly-disguised blood sport even more hideously unsafe than it already was. poo poo is pretty seriously dark.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/anime/status/1400814609259548676?s=21

This is a really cool, in-depth interview with lots of interesting details about the creators, their process, and their inspirations. Pro click.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nanigans posted:

What was that?? Joe’s been off the drugs for weeks. Could it be all the blows to the head over the years? Nervousness now that he knows he really will be getting in that ring?

I’m usually too stupid to notice obvious stuff, so this one really has me puzzled.

Oh, yeah. I’m a native Spanish speaker but don’t get to use it often. Pretty sure the name of the episode translates to “The defeats of the past are accompanied by signs of good luck.” Which just makes that ending even more WTF.

I assume it's what got him addicted to painkillers in the first place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that Chief's Gear is primarily built for defence, and Joe cut his teeth in rigged fights where the name of the game is to get the crap beaten out of you without actually getting the crap beaten out of you. I suspect that he'll be a lot better than most of Mac's opponents at surviving Mac Time, and Sachio will be insightful enough to keep him in the fight while he stays mostly unharmed and his opponent devolves into an atavistic mess, before throwing in the towel once they've made their point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Everyone is going out of their way to take reasonable, sensible measures to ensure that the fight is as safe as possible (except Sakuma, and everyone else is compensating by sidelining Sakuma super hard), which leads me to believe that the next BES malfunction is going to be absolutely goddamned nightmarish in a way that neither the characters nor we the audience are remotely prepared for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

is it just me or is that hummingbird story way too loving dark to be a cheery picture book for children?

Someone never got a dose of unedited Hans Christian Andersen, I see.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

God, that was amazing. I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed that everything seemed to fall into place/work out perfectly, but gently caress it. The emotional beats were spot on. And I like the fact that the whole episode was framed as an epilogue with the only things needing resolution being the fate of BES tech and the corporate entities involved.

Yukiko letting her company eat poo poo and making BES tech open-source was a nice resolution to her arc, and I liked how utterly weird they made Sakuma right till the end, as the only member of the cast who didn't have enough humanity to reclaim.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Great ending, slightly confused as to what Joe was doing in the truck, heading back to the gym or heading out to somewhere else?

For the fight Did Sacchio throw int he towel because Joe was going to keep fighting even if it killed him because he was having too much fun?

He just thought that they'd both had their fun, and Joe's brain damage was acting up enough that things were potentially getting dangerous, as evidenced by his fall.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sair posted:

Boxing didn't solve the problems, the friendships we made from boxing did.

That, and professional competitive boxing was heavily tied into the trap of toxic masculinity and exploitative capitalism that the protagonists needed to escape from before it destroyed them. There's a reason it genuinely didn't matter who won the final match.

The first season showed the power and agency that boxing could give the downtrodden and the outcast, and the second season showed the limitations of that power and agency and the price it demanded in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, this is very important. If it were up to boxing alone, Joe would've gotten himself killed to get that rush from violence, and Mac would've fallen straight into Mac Time and likely gotten irreversible brain damage. What saved them from those fates were the bonds they learned to embrace - Joe with Team Nowhere, Mac with his wife and son.

Also, Yoshimura and Yukiko finding meaning and purpose to their lives outside the capitalist rat-race. Arguably, they and Mikio are the three most influential people in S2, and they don't punch anyone.