Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
In episode one, Joe sees the news mentioning that people were still recovering from a typhoon that hit the coastal areas harsher than other areas, and I’m pretty sure they showed an aerial shot of the riverbank where Gym Nowhere was located. I’m not sure if this is directly involved in Nanbu’s death, but Sachio telling Joe he wouldn’t forgive him for not being there leads me to believe Joe was gone during the typhoon.

And yeah, this season is killing it, and I find myself a sobbing mess in each episode. Especially listening to that ED as a native Spanish speaker. It’s so goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ve read into it a tiny bit,and the Aztec god of war was often depicted as a hummingbird. It’s said dead warriors would come back as hummingbirds.

Maybe Joe, no longer the junk dog (death of the dog in ep. 1) will now rise as the Colibri?

The lyrics of the ED also speak of a man dying in the desert being reinvigorated by the song of a hummingbird. Chief (and the immigrants in general) seem to represent a new goal and home for Joe, something for him to live for again.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
:cry:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
As someone who has lost both parents, I understand Joe’s actions completely.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I hope this series is doing well ratings wise. I loved the first season and didn’t think it needed a second season, or that it was even popular enough to get one, though of course I’m happy it did. I’m just not sure who this series is made for besides men in their 30s-50s like me-not really the demographic people really cater to with anime. I feel like this will become a cult classic remembered years from now but never really appreciated in its own time. Even more than season 1. At this point, I hope they deliver another satisfying conclusion that precludes not needing a third season, but also leaves the door open for more.

Don’t loving die, Joe. :ohdear:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This show is really not pulling its punches, no pun intended. This episode was rough. I hope it’s building up to a redemption. It feels like it, but you never know.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
:same:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Well, there's no moe or transformations and it's not an isekai, etc. etc. I love this show, but it's definitely aiming for a small, but dedicated fanbase. Surprising that it has the high production values it has.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Akita no Joe is a good dog name :mmmhmm:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What was that?? Joe’s been off the drugs for weeks. Could it be all the blows to the head over the years? Nervousness now that he knows he really will be getting in that ring?

I’m usually too stupid to notice obvious stuff, so this one really has me puzzled.

Oh, yeah. I’m a native Spanish speaker but don’t get to use it often. Pretty sure the name of the episode translates to “The defeats of the past are accompanied by signs of good luck.” Which just makes that ending even more WTF.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 6, 2021

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Oh, yeah. That makes sense.

See? I really am stupid. :haw:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This last episode's music was definitely a call back to the music from season 1, where most of the music the rest of the season has been acoustic music, inspired by Mexican folk music. Definitely good stuff all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I love a happy ending. Goddamn. One of the best.