Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56758376

quote:

Fans of classic war flicks will know the scene - actor Steve McQueen revs his motorcycle furiously as he is chased by German soldiers.

Hoping to use the bike to jump over a barbed wire border fence, and reach safety in Switzerland, he pauses to gather his thoughts by a barn.

On the side of the building is a big poster advertising a best-selling beer.

You don't remember the billboard advert? Well it might not have been there the last time you watched The Great Escape, but it could well be the next.

Hey yeah. Or maybe the poster could advertise VW cars, or Hugo Boss, or IBM

quote:

So items can be digitally added to almost any movie or TV show. For example, advertisers could put new labels on the champagne bottles in Rick's Cafe in Casablanca, add different background neon advertising signs to Ocean's 11, or get Charlie Chaplin to promote a fizzy drink.

And then a few weeks, months or years later the added products can be easily switched to different brands.

technology is amazing! companies can now ruin classic movies at the push of a button!

quote:

One of the firms that has developed the ability to do this is UK advertising business Mirriad. Its technology is now being used by a Chinese video streaming website, and the makers of hit US TV show Modern Family have also tried it out.

Mirriad's chief executive Stephan Beringer expects such digital product placement to become widespread. His firm came up with the process after previously making movie special effects.

quote:

Mr Beringer says that the next leap forward will be the ability to digitally add product banners to live sports or concert broadcasts "in real time, or milliseconds after".

"There is huge demand for that," he says. "So a penalty or VAR decision in football could see a new advert pop up behind the referee."

oh good!!! I'm so loving excited to be advertised to! Please funnel all the product placements you can find directly into my rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I will stop watching movies if this happens.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, snapple!

Hello, Ford!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZ-BHBKyos

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
next up on your Netflix playlist: To Kill a Mockingbird, but every time Gregory Peck is on screen he is swigging from a can of Coca-Cola™ (in full colour)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Schindler's List but instead of swastika armbands the Nazis are all wearing FitBits

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Applewhite posted:

I will stop watching movies if this happens.

Movies suck anyway. When was the last good one? I could honestly not name you a single movie that's come out in the past 5 years that wasn't some superhero bullshit and even then I'd just be calling it like Avengers 5 or something.

Also movies are too loud.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ghTNYP3ypA

Mayan product place mat.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
"Roy Taylor, the chief executive of Californian-based business Ryff, says his firm is taking digital product insertion one stage further.

It has developed the technology whereby the product placement is targeted at individuals, and changes depending on who is watching.

So if you like wine then the hero of a film could be drinking a particular bottle that you might be tempted to try. Or if you are teetotal the star might be sipping on a bottle of branded water."

This is even wilder, imo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Movies suck anyway. When was the last good one? I could honestly not name you a single movie that's come out in the past 5 years that wasn't some superhero bullshit and even then I'd just be calling it like Avengers 5 or something.

Truth. I can’t think of a movie released this year I’ve been excited to see. Even DUNE looks kind of “meh” to me.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I hear you. At the same time, live action mulan might have been better if they tried to sell me a Balldo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I want to skip right over the "personalized ads in every movie directed at you" stage and go straight to "AI is powerful enough to custom make a movie based on your parameters."

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

I can't wait to buy all of the things that I see on my favourite popular, classic, tv show because that's clearly what everyone does!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
What's Up Doc but all the bags are Nike sports holdalls, and Barbra Streisand's character is wearing an "I've Been to Walt Disney World" baseball cap throughout

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've met with Mirriad several times. They have no interest in this (classic movies) because it is massively insanley more lucrative and easier to do it to TV shows and have the shows themselves built from the ground up to support this. The future is not editing classic films, it is designing films to be easily editable in the future.

Its super popular for things that run across markets cause you can sell the product placement to multiple companies.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Capitalism has given everyone a brain disease

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Applewhite posted:

"AI is powerful enough to custom make a movie based on your parameters."

So basically by like 2025 I can expect a personalized film based off of the adventures of Strongo and also lots of advertisements for weed and cheap liquor?

cause that sounds pretty rad. I love the future

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Tank: Here you go, buddy; "Breakfast of Champions."
Mouse: If you close your eyes, it almost feels like you're eating runny eggs.
Apoc: Yeah, or a bowl of snot.
Mouse: Do you know what it really reminds me of? Breakfast baconator. Did you ever eat the all new breakfast baconator from Wendy's?
Switch: No, but technically, neither did you.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remove the huge dinosaur added to Star Wars, add Obi-Wan ordering two diet cokes.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I will stop watching [non-pirated] movies if this happens.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzixL7Ef-bI

Woden
May 6, 2006
Don't sports already do this, and didn't they try this in video games 20 years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwEqxtjMCU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If it's done digitally and in real time, at least someone can eventually hijack the process and insert goatse :allears:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Going back to DVDs thanks

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

A Strange Aeon posted:

"Roy Taylor, the chief executive of Californian-based business Ryff, says his firm is taking digital product insertion one stage further.

It has developed the technology whereby the product placement is targeted at individuals, and changes depending on who is watching.

So if you like wine then the hero of a film could be drinking a particular bottle that you might be tempted to try. Or if you are teetotal the star might be sipping on a bottle of branded water."

This is even wilder, imo.
Gonna try and find a way to make all characters in a movie drink nothing but horse piss.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHKoduj5Uds

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Just block the ad stream, it will make the labels and poo poo revert to their original state:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Return Of The Jedi where all the ships are shoes

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Well yeah, the marketroids have ruined current movies so thoroughly that they can't figure out how to ruin them any more. So now they're gonna go back and ruin all the old movies!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I want to skip right over the "personalized ads in every movie directed at you" stage and go straight to "AI is powerful enough to custom make a movie based on your parameters."

t-that's weird, Netflix won't stop showing me sonic/robotnik mpreg flicks. heh, must be some kind of uhhhhh glitch or something

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Okay I don't even do photo shops but this is just screaming for a thread

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone who doesn't just have a Plex server with blu-ray rips pretty much deserves this tbqh

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

lmao okay

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Naked Jim Carrey struggling to get out of the Hamburger Helper glove's butthole

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
On second thought Sam, don't play it again. Play the new single "Turd" from Ed Sheeran's upcoming album "Turds"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Hammerite posted:

Schindler's List but instead of swastika armbands the Nazis are all wearing FitBits

5 minutes of never-before-seen footage where Schindler enters the list into Microsoft Excel and creates a pivot table

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Because there is hundreds of streaming services now I've gone back to the old ways.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Colonel Cancer posted:

If it's done digitally and in real time, at least someone can eventually hijack the process and insert goatse :allears:

Straight White Shark posted:

t-that's weird, Netflix won't stop showing me sonic/robotnik mpreg flicks. heh, must be some kind of uhhhhh glitch or something

Ventral EggSac posted:

Naked Jim Carrey struggling to get out of the Hamburger Helper glove's butthole

See, you’re all so caught up on the negatives that you’re all failing to see the positives.

Imagine if goons obtained this technology. It would be glorious.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Butternubs posted:

Capitalism has given everyone a brain disease

BRAIN DISEASE? ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT NEUROPROCOPROXAMOL X.

*video of a middle aged man fly fishing in a forest stream with his son*

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
new cut of Pulp Fiction where we get to see what's in the briefcase. It's the Golden Arches. and a big mac and fries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im not going to advocate for movie piracy but i will say on a completely unrelated topic that usenet is pretty neat