Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

Caesar Saladin posted:

sorkin's dialogue sounds like the kind of stuff that you think of later in the day that you wish you had said at the time if you exclusively breathe your own farts, and only the "best" ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I got one of those JW gift boxes with little 200ml bottles of Black, Gold, Platinum, and Blue from a friend earlier this year. Gold sucks hard. Blue is fine but yeah lol at $200 a bottle. The Plat was really good imo though. Black is black, it’s fine with some soda.

That's how I finally tried it, by buying one of those sets at a duty-free store. I liked the Blue the most, but :lol: at paying $300 Canadian for a bottle, unless I'm trying to woo a business client who likes to pretend to have expensive tastes. For that price, I could get at least two bottles of upper-level single malts, and I'm pretty much guaranteed a solid bottle.

Platinum's good, too, but also overpriced. The only one I'd say that I really liked was Green, and that's really hard to find as it's too expensive for people who like to drink cheap, and too cheap for people who like to show off expensive liquor.

thunderspanks posted:

you misspelled joss whedon

Joss Whedon writes dialogue that makes adolescents think sounds smart. Aaron Sorkin writes dialogue that makes adults think sound smart.

Either way, both of them need a proper director to cut out the unnecessary poo poo. My brother said he read a story where Sorkin insisted that the characters drink screwdrivers in The Social Network, as it was "more cinematic". David Fincher overruled him and basically said, "Nah, they were drinking beer at the time. We know this. Besides, it's more real."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What kind of weirdo decided to color code whiskey

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
True Detective 3 any better than 2?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I can’t tell any of these drat shows apart. My wife will marathon Gray’s Anatomy to Private Practice to The Good Fight to whatever the other one is and I can’t tell where one show ends and the other begins.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They all loving suck poo poo and they all end the same way with some tedious epiphany speech that’s been building the whole episode.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
seasons three was better, but i can't remember many memorable scenes from it (was that by design?!?!?!)

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Xaintrailles posted:

Not bad, but not particularly good. It's like a more low-key, less interesting season one. Mahershala Ali was really good tho.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anything form the CW DC shows are fish in a barrel. Except Legends. They know they are camp and have embraced it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgK5HKj3P4

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

this is actually what trump was planning on doing when he went to that church with the bible last year

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Walker told me I have AIDs"

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbKdUacn-tI

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Who What Now posted:

What kind of weirdo decided to color code whiskey

I was going to make a joke about Scotland, but then I remembered that the pandemic response here in Ontario is colour-coded (and working as well as you'd expect), so I won't.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

mojo1701a posted:

I was going to make a joke about Scotland, but then I remembered that the pandemic response here in Ontario is colour-coded (and working as well as you'd expect), so I won't.

Wasnt there a color coded terror alert system the US used for a little bit after 9/11?
All i remember of that is that its rightfully just kindve been forgotten.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sentinel posted:

Wasnt there a color coded terror alert system the US used for a little bit after 9/11?
All i remember of that is that its rightfully just kindve been forgotten.

Like EVERYTHING else the Conservatives do, it was all performative, and had nothing to do with reality.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Bonzo posted:

Anything form the CW DC shows are fish in a barrel. Except Legends. They know they are camp and have embraced it.

I love most of these shows, warts and all, but you're not kidding here. But they are proof that a really good actor could read a phone book and make it compelling. David Harewood can talk about synching Martian mind-waves with cyber wifi or whatever and I'll believe he's doing it. Doubly so if Carl Lumbly is also talking about his Martian brain power.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A Fancy Hat posted:

I love most of these shows, warts and all, but you're not kidding here. But they are proof that a really good actor could read a phone book and make it compelling. David Harewood can talk about synching Martian mind-waves with cyber wifi or whatever and I'll believe he's doing it. Doubly so if Carl Lumbly is also talking about his Martian brain power.

It's because these actors know exactly what kind of schlock they're making and play into it.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
“I find the trout to be a very Nietzschean fish." - Hannibal Lector

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
more like Aaron DORKIN LOL

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Xaintrailles posted:

Its ok its like a store brand version of season 1. Its a lot better than season 2 though

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

It's like blue balls in your heart

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Xaintrailles posted:

What everyone else has said pretty much. Better than 2 but also miles away from 1. Mahershala Ali is good in pretty much anything, especially portraying his character throughout multiple stages of his life. Also, I'm a sucker for Scoot McNairy so that helped as well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Who What Now posted:

It's because these actors know exactly what kind of schlock they're making and play into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT5_qH7PStc

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
good dialogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

loving lol

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Ty all, will give series 3 a shot.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Nothing in 3 comes close to the bully's dad scene in 2 but as a whole it's a good season. 1 was perfect television. Like, totally perfect. I dunno how Nic could improve upon it

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
True Detective Season 2 is the only show I can recall watching until the episode before the finale and just stopping because I didn't care about any of the four main characters or their associated plots. There's a scene where Vince Vaughan's character beats a drug dealer unconscious and then rips his teeth out with pliers and they somehow made it boring. Hope he got that land deal or whatever.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Xaintrailles posted:

S3 was an attempt to return to form, but it bored me to tears. I bailed after 3 episodes.

S2 was such a trainwreck I can at least look at it in hindsight as a comedy.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My girlfriend loves the junk television. The only time I asked her to turn it off, ever, was American Horror Story.the cult season

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jesus. This hurts. It must be intentional. I mean, we're watching it for free

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

holy poo poo lmao

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

this is actually awesome

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
My wife is a journalist and so naturally had to watch Newsroom. I couldn't even be in the room while it was on. I still rip on her about it to this day.

I thought the dialogue for 'The Social Network' was quite good but that's probably because Fincher is a freak and probably reigned him in. I just looked it up, that movie came out loving 12 years ago.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1319051264332685312?s=19

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

fish and chips and dip posted:

lol that was so awkward I couldn't even finish it. It was bad enough when all the passengers started talking, and then enter the flight attendant.

You really should watch the whole scene, it's several orders of magnitude shittier than it seems like it's going to be. The ending is so bad that the preceding eyerollfest barely constitutes a warmup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
you're the real heroes
*salutes those brave pilots at Delta Airlines*