Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Millennium Cyborg
Mar 2, 2021

CG cyborg from the year 2000
In order to convince myself to actually start streaming before I had everything I need for a perfect debut, I told myself I would do some pre-debut streams. But before a real pre-debut, there are still some things I need to finish, and I can't wait any more to get started. With that in mind I hope you'll join me at my pre-pre-debut, as I introduce myself and noodle about with some assets live:

https://twitter.com/y2k_cyborg/status/1384977741276188674

My whole aesthetic is inspired by the y2k era, Reboot, rave flyers, CG and all that. I don't have any major talents, but I do enjoy messing around with a bunch of creative tools and I also have a massive list of games I want to stream in genres I haven't seen many vtubers cover.

Edit: I should probably include a link to my channel shouldn't I.

Millennium Cyborg fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millennium Cyborg
Mar 2, 2021

I've not done any actual streams yet, but I'm using a C920 over my main monitor, a Blue Yeti on a mic arm, and I have a few OBS panels crammed into a tiny area on my second monitor because if I look too far to the side my model does funny things. I have a homebrew macro pad that sends F13-F24 for OBS hotkeys but I'm not really using it yet, I've had issues with my automation attempts.

Millennium Cyborg
Mar 2, 2021

Sundae posted:

Anyone have a link to decent (and ideally not wallet-breaking) LED strips I could put in front of a keyboard for underlighting? We've noticed waaaaay better eye-lid tracking during art streams than during gaming or chat, and finally made the connection that the underlighting from the tablet is eliminating eye-shadows that are loving with the camera. I can blast them out with the LED panel behind the monitor, but that's just begging for eye-strain headaches by the end of the stream. It'd be easier to put a little strip at the front of the desk aiming up.

Wireless would be ideal. Virtual streaming makes so many goddamned wires oh my god the wires are loving EVERYWHERE.

Wow, this really works! Quick test of a strip of 12v white LEDs facing upwards. It's tricky to reproduce the exact angles and conditions when I get eyelid flickering, but I managed to capture some of it here. I turn the LEDs on and off and I think it's fairly noticeably better with them on. It's one more power socket and wire but I'll see if I can make a more permanent version and route the power properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzXY2E-myGo

Roland Jones posted:

On a related topic to this, I tried messing around with some face tracking programs and such, and my glasses seem to significantly interfere with the eye tracking. I assume this problem isn't unique to me or anything, so I was wondering how other people deal with that kind of thing, besides getting contacts or otherwise taking the glasses off (in my case, I'm nearsighted, so unless I move a monitor fairly close I do need to have my glasses on when I'm using my computer). Are there tricks you can use, or do people usually just disable the eye tracking entirely and have the program they're using automate their blinking?

I wear glasses and the VSeeFace eye / face tracking seems to work pretty well for me, especially with the above fix. I have an LED panel on lowest setting behind the monitor blasting right at my face and a dark room behind me.

Millennium Cyborg
Mar 2, 2021

I'm still training my voice; when I feel bad about it, I go back to one of my local test recordings from 3 or 6 months ago and that reminds me that I am improving, if only slowly.

For what it's worth, you're probably your own worst critic and I don't think your voice sounds bad at all :hr:

Millennium Cyborg
Mar 2, 2021

In my case I'm paying quite a lot for one hour sessions every two weeks with a voice therapist, and that helps motivate me to keep up the practice, but all we're doing is conversation, exercises and reading short texts (poems, speeches, dialogue from plays...)

You can find plenty of good advice and exercises in this book: https://uk.jkp.com/products/the-voice-book-for-trans-and-nonbinary-people

It used to be available for free as a pdf from the publisher but I can't find that version now. I personally found it hard to get started from *just* the book, I was especially worried that I wasn't doing them right, or frustrated that I didn't know how to apply them in conversation. But really the trick is to keep doing about 10 mins of exercises every day and break it up, practice reading various texts, do dramatic readings of classic tweets and posts, just keep it fun and varied and push a bit beyond your level of ability during practice.

That's the material I'm familiar with, but there's plenty more out there. There are many youtube videos, some more helpful than others, I picked up some useful exercises from some but they also pushed me in the wrong sort of direction in other cases.

Millennium Cyborg
Mar 2, 2021

Vizuyos created a discord some time back for current and aspiring forums vtubers - it's pretty quiet right now but I think it would be really cool to have more people join!

https://discord.gg/s6gqUDsu2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millennium Cyborg
Mar 2, 2021

My stream audio isn't amazing but it's a lot better than it used to be! I use a Blue Yeti and OBS whereas I imagine you'll be using Elgato's software for your mixing, but maybe some of this will translate.

I think the best advice I've seen in terms of audio mix is simply to make sure your game audio peaks at around the top of the green bar in OBS (-20dB) and your voice peaks at the top of the yellow bar (-9dB). That's what I aim for when I'm checking the volume for a game. I do that *after* I've adjusted the game audio to a comfortable level for my own listening.

I also have a ducking compressor on my audio sources when I remember to add it:

And here are the filters I have on my mic input:

The exact values depend on how you've set your gain on the mic and in the windows mixer, of course.