Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gatts posted:

That’s been the conservative strategy forever now and hardly anyone calls them out on it and instead you get Erin Burnett on CNN nodding her head in agreement with John Kasic when he’s full of poo poo and Barney Frank tries his best to call him out on it

Somehow being louder or outraged pulls the conservatives into going “Yes this man must be right.”

Well no wonder they look at Trump as their God King then. They're literally like kindergartners the kid who screams the loudest gets the most attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PeterCat posted:

You should note that Fauci did not actually address Paul's point and answered a question that was not asked.

It's really interesting that you didn't want to explain what that question was nor why that question was worth answering in the first place. Insinuating that there was something wrong with Fauci's response without providing any evidence or even a basic context is incredibly dishonest.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ynglaur posted:

With the exception of children or the immunocompromised, maybe we should have hospitals start turning away unvaccinated people with COVID-19 unless they agree to get vaccinated when (if) they recover. Maybe just turn them away entirely. I can't imagine there are many people left in the US who have not had a chance to get vaccinated at this point.

As cathartic and Just as that would be, I can't imagine anybody would support such a policy, myself included. However, I loving feel for the vaccinated healthcare workers who are starting to despise their unvaccinated patients. That's got to be some hard poo poo, man. What a psychological trip.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah Rand Paul has spent the entirety of every session with Fauci in the past few months dropping the most mind numbingly stupid questions possible. Fauci was well within the right for calling him out given this is like the 4th or 5th time he's appeared before this committee.

You're right, but I think the problem with this is, as satisfying as it might be to have Fauci respond like this to Paul, it just results in more fundraising for Paul. Like, I don't think there are going to be many people whose mind this changes about him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ynglaur posted:

With the exception of children or the immunocompromised, maybe we should have hospitals start turning away unvaccinated people with COVID-19 unless they agree to get vaccinated when (if) they recover. Maybe just turn them away entirely. I can't imagine there are many people left in the US who have not had a chance to get vaccinated at this point.

That would be a terrible idea.

You should do what some countries are doing and institute a vaccine passport type system that requires proof of vaccination to hit the bars, movies, etc. That seems to be one of the few things that produces large immediate upticks in vaccination rates.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Seems another Trump advisor (Tom Barrack) has been arrested and charged for failure to register as a foreign agent for the UAE among other things.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1417555089926074373

DOJ press release here
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/former-advisor-presidential-candidate-among-three-defendants-charged-acting-agents-foreign

Indictment linked in this tweet
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1417557763106947075

A guy named Barrack who is secretly foreign? Dammit it's always projection with these guys.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

How are u posted:

All these fucks deserve whatever they get, but I just wish that in doing so they didn't affect the rest of us. Good god drat Lord.
like...they're not happy with that. chuds want to tell everyone what to do while screaming "you can't tell me what to do!!" they literally could have just sat in their houses but they left the house for the first time in loving decades to tell everyone how terrible it is they're being forced to stay home.
not content with taking off their own loving masks they're protesting to make us take ours off.
because being told what to do i tyranny so you better do what they say.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Solkanar512 posted:

It's really interesting that you didn't want to explain what that question was nor why that question was worth answering in the first place. Insinuating that there was something wrong with Fauci's response without providing any evidence or even a basic context is incredibly dishonest.

Presenting the selected clips from Fauci without the relevant context is incredibly dishonest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

PeterCat posted:

Presenting the selected clips from Fauci without the relevant context is incredibly dishonest.

the context makes your post look even dumber tbh

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Epicurius posted:

You're right, but I think the problem with this is, as satisfying as it might be to have Fauci respond like this to Paul, it just results in more fundraising for Paul. Like, I don't think there are going to be many people whose mind this changes about him.

It was going to be cut and edited to fund raise regardless of what Fauci said. There is literally nothing that could be said that would change that aspect of it.

PeterCat posted:

You made dishonest insinuations, and you refused to respond to anyone who pointed out that you were lying by omission, including an IK. Now you're doubling down on it by refusing to explain

1. What the specific question was.
2. Why that question was worth answering.

You're also moving the goalposts by only now complaining about "lack of relevant context".

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 20, 2021

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

PeterCat posted:

the context is twofold: faucci is a doctor who's been doing this for decades
rand paul is a libertarian loving rear end in a top hat (redundant) who keeps a pile of debris in his yard just because it makes his neighbor mad.
you're talking to us like we've never heard of these people and we need to learn more "whoa whoa whoa" you're saying "let's hear this 'goofus' person out, maybe gallant is wrong!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PeterCat posted:

what context changes the meaning of fauci's words or their accuracy

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 20, 2021

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

this is from a bit back, but as someone who works IRS customer service you have no idea how much I needed to see this. I am drowning in callers I can only tell to wait longer and knowing there are in fact people who are getting serious good out of the new legislation timely instead of just having their poo poo tied up for a possibly insane amount of time (16 months is the longest I've heard yet) is like stumbling on an oasis in the desert. these folks don't exactly call in to thank us when things work out and with so many other people still affected by the closures (16.4 million affected returns is the current number we've put out there) it's just been in effect mostly a misery parade of desperate people to turn away 8 hours a day 5 days a week

if I were faster on the draw and savvy with making videos I'd put out my own reacting to the reactions complete with all the blubbering I've been doing. wouldn't even care about possibly exposing myself to federal employee haters, I'm really happy for these folks

gonna have to set myself a reminder to watch at least one of these every day after work
Here, have another article from Vox about this phenomenon:

Vox.com posted:

The child tax credit is blowing up on TikTok. That should tell lawmakers something

The videos of parents getting their checks aren’t just a fun meme — they suggest a path for making the one-year policy permanent

I’ve been covering tax policy in the US for over a decade now, and I can confidently say that provisions in the tax code do not often go viral.

Enter the child tax credit, which was greatly expanded temporarily in President Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan, with monthly payments hitting households starting on July 15. The sudden deposits — of up to $250 per child ages 6-17, and $300 per child under 6 — were such a delight to many parents that the hashtags #childtaxcredit and #childtaxcredit2021 blew up on TikTok, with tens of millions of views under each as of this writing.

Paul Williams, an economist and writer, has been compiling some of the best posts (many incorporating Usim E. Mang’s popular “Alors on Danse” dance) in a Twitter thread.

I’m partial to @yellowha’s mother-son version:
https://twitter.com/PEWilliams_/status/1415788867647643650

And the account @wifeandmomlife’s, set to the soul classic “Bound” by the Ponderosa Twins Plus One:
https://twitter.com/PEWilliams_/status/1415784605425221634

This is a continuation of a trend we also saw with the stimulus checks of April 2020, December 2020, and March 2021 — when the government sends out cash like this, outside of the normal tax return process and to a larger population than those affected by programs like SNAP/food stamps or Section 8 housing vouchers, that policy penetrates the public consciousness. The checks get memed. People post dance videos about them.

As someone who supported those stimulus payments, and strongly supports making the new child tax credit payments permanent and easy to access, this is tremendously encouraging stuff. It implies that check-based programs can avoid some of the worst pathologies of American government, and unlock one of the most powerful, and positive forces in politics: policy feedback.

Checks are moving us past the submerged state

Usually, when the US government decides to help people, it does so in a veiled, even inscrutable way.

Take housing. There is no government agency whose website you can go to, fill out a form, and receive, say, a $10,000 check to help you with a down payment for a house.

Instead, there are obscure measures and opaque institutions that aim to help. There’s the Federal Housing Administration, which insures some mortgages in the hope of making it easier and cheaper for homebuyers to get a loan. That agency runs two quasi-governmental corporations, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, that bundle mortgages and sell them to investors, in the hope of indirectly making your mortgage cheaper. It also offers a tax deduction for your mortgage interest, once you buy a house — but only if you itemize your deductions.

That system of indirect government interventions that are obscure or invisible to the average citizen are part of what Cornell political scientist Suzanne Mettler calls “the submerged state.”

The obscurity of the submerged state, Mettler argues, has major costs for our democracy. It erodes public belief in the effectiveness of government by hiding from view the government benefits voters receive. Another example: Middle-class Americans who got subsidized student loans to pay for college, and deduct mortgage interest from their taxes, are getting government benefits, too — but those benefits aren’t perceived the same way as, say, Social Security.

In addition to keeping government’s role in improving lives hidden, the submerged state has another major cost. Georgetown political scientists Don Moynihan and Pamela Herd have argued compellingly that submerged state-like schemes impose major “administrative burdens” on low-income people, from work requirements in programs like food stamps to the burden of navigating the earned income tax credit’s complex parameters.

Johns Hopkins’s Steven Teles has called this problem “kludgeocracy” — a government held together through “inelegant patch[es] put in place to solve an unexpected problem” rather than designed to work cleanly from the start. Teles argues this piecemeal approach also leads to exorbitantly high compliance costs, makes government administration more difficult, and makes it easier for businesses to extract rents from the government.

This problem has, for years, been a major concern for people who study American government.

What’s striking about the child tax credit expansion, and the stimulus checks before it, is how completely it rejects the submerged state model. The payments are not hidden or obscure to their beneficiaries: They take the form of a big fat check in the mail, or a big, sudden deposit in your bank account. The IRS also mailed recipients letters explaining they were going to get the money.

What’s more, the payments all happen at once, making them a natural thing to post about on social media, where your friends will be going through the same thing and find it relatable.

This is not, of course, to say that the rollout of the child tax credit was perfect. The system for signing up people who don’t file taxes was far too difficult to use. But the process has been much more accessible than most government programs. If something’s a meme on TikTok, it pretty much definitionally is not part of the submerged state.

How policies can create new constituencies

Precisely because the child tax credit expansion is not very submerged, it could unlock political dynamics that allow it to survive past 2021. This gets at a powerful and intuitive idea from political science: policy feedback.

Berkeley political scientist Paul Pierson, in his classic 1994 book "Dismantling the Welfare State?" and 1996 paper “The New Politics of the Welfare State,” has demonstrated that once a welfare policy is enacted, and enough people who benefit from it are aware of it and able to defend it, that policy can be quite difficult to roll back.

People who are receiving benefits, they’re going to react pretty strongly to that being taken away from them,” Pierson told me in 2017, when precisely these dynamics were stopping Republicans from repealing the Affordable Care Act. “A taxpayer is paying for a lot of stuff and cares a little bit about each thing, but the person who’s receiving the benefits is going to care enormously about that.”

There’s reason to think this dynamic has cooled a bit in recent years, as parties have become more ideologically intense and polarized. While the Affordable Care Act was not repealed, in large part because seven Senate Republicans were unwilling to repeal the ACA’s expansion of Medicaid coverage, it still came close, which never happened to earlier programs like Social Security or Medicare.

Now, the child tax credit expansion is set to expire within a year. Given its tremendous impact on child poverty, making it permanent should be a priority for Democrats. Considering how polarized Congress is, and its status quo bias, one shouldn’t be too confident about the prospects of a permanent expansion.

That said, a policy with a strong, vocal base of beneficiaries who can advocate for it is a strong policy. And, in total seriousness, the TikTok memes about the child tax credit give me hope that the policy is building that kind of base of support. Look at how delighted all these parents are — and just think how furious they’d be to have this support taken away.
Emphasis mine.

Take a look at that Twitter thread (or check on Tiktok) - lots of fun videos about receiving the checks.

I think that the article also points out some very interesting and useful stuff about the importance of making the effect of legislation visible.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 20, 2021

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
any context involving rand paul involves rand paul being the embarrassingly inevitable endpoint of libertarianism as a concept while also having garbage can soup for brains

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

DTurtle posted:

Emphasis mine.

Take a look at that Twitter thread (or check on Tiktok) - lots of fun videos about receiving the checks.

I think that the article also points out some very interesting and useful stuff about the importance of making the effect of legislation visible.

Yeah, I think most people are severely under-estimating the effect this will have on the 2022 and 2024 elections.
This child tax credit is the most effective financial relief I've seen in my lifetime.

I could feel the anxiety lift off of so many people when that check arrived.

I want that infrastructure bill, definitely, but the child tax credit was not just a huge political victory for the dems - it represents a significant improvement in the quality of life of almost every person I know.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Do they have to kill somebody first or does that get swept under the rug too.

Why, did someone important(rich) die?

The only thing the ruling class really cares about on this front is that they don't set the precedent of one of them being punished for crimes. Anything else is just stalling until people stop caring or forget, which usually doesn't take long.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that citizens of the United States got lucky enough to be in the first place where an actual scientific miracle drug is completely free, available at every pharmacy without an appointment, many places are literally paying them in cash and paid time-off to go get it, and it can literally save your life/prevent long-term heart and lung damage and save the lives of your neighbors and family, but still not getting it is the most depressing thing in politics right now.

They aren't just not getting it out of laziness or cost, but they are adamantly refusing to get it, encouraging others to do the same, and actively making life difficult and more dangerous for the people who did get it by allowing variants to brew inside them.

All in opposition to a vaccine that was developed by American pharmaceutical companies and taken by Donald Trump himself.

quote:

Linda Marion, 68, a widow with chronic pulmonary disease, worried that a vaccination might actually trigger Covid-19 and kill her. Barbara Billigmeier, 74, an avid golfer who retired here from California, believed she did not need it because “I never get sick.”

When the boat factory in this leafy Ozark Mountains city offered free coronavirus vaccinations this spring, Susan Johnson, 62, a receptionist there, declined the offer.

Last week, all three were patients on 2 West, an overflow ward that is now largely devoted to treating Covid-19 at Baxter Regional Medical Center, the largest hospital in north-central Arkansas. Mrs. Billigmeier said the scariest part was that “you can’t breathe.” For 10 days, Ms. Johnson had relied on supplemental oxygen being fed to her lungs through nasal tubes.

Ms. Marion said that at one point, she felt so sick and frightened that she wanted to give up. “It was just terrible,” she said. “I felt like I couldn’t take it.”

Yet despite their ordeals, none of them changed their minds about getting vaccinated. “It’s just too new,” Mrs. Billigmeier said. “It is like an experiment.”

quote:

Overall, Arkansas ranks near the bottom of states in the share of population that is vaccinated. Only 44 percent of residents have received at least one shot.

“Boy, we’ve tried just about everything we can think of,” a retired National Guard colonel, Robert Ator, who runs the state’s vaccination effort, said in an interview. For about one in three residents, he said, “I don’t think there’s a thing in the world we could do to get them to get vaccinated.”

For that, the state is paying a price. Hospitalizations have quadrupled since mid-May. More than a third of patients are in intensive care. Deaths, a lagging indicator, are also expected to rise, health officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/17/us/arkansas-covid-19-vaccine.html

So....I lost my cousin to the coronavirus last year and I've recently been doing vaccination outreach in Conservative communities, and the above highlights the primary issue that we need to be discussing long term, not just because of COVID-19 but also because of really any society wide emergency issues, especially the massive looming elephant in the room; Climate Change.

And this primary issue is that, as the National Guard Colonel above experienced, Cognitive Dissonance is a thing that exists and we need to figure out how to deal with it, because it undermines every single thing we try to do a society. When people can come just short of drowning in their own lung fluid like they're in the middle of some found footage horror movie and still come out the other side resilient in the opinion that got them nearly killed, that is a serious problem for everyone.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Uglycat posted:

Yeah, I think most people are severely under-estimating the effect this will have on the 2022 and 2024 elections.
This child tax credit is the most effective financial relief I've seen in my lifetime.

I could feel the anxiety lift off of so many people when that check arrived.

I want that infrastructure bill, definitely, but the child tax credit was not just a huge political victory for the dems - it represents a significant improvement in the quality of life of almost every person I know.

Just to be clear, this is $300 a month, every month (until it expires, which good luck taking that away from people once they have it)?

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

It wasn't even really a question about the lab leak theory. That would have at least been vaguely on-topic.

He wanted Fauci to say that China created Covid if it leaked from their lab. He just kept pressing him to say China "made it" and wasn't even asking questions about the actual origin.

This is specifically asked each time because they want to let Donald Trump off the hook for the entire crisis. Therefore invalidating the main reason he lost the election. They want people to say it was all China's fault that way he can be absolved of any decision making. 'Don't blame me, blame China' is all they care about. We all know he didn't CREATE THE VIRUS, but it was his lack of action and in some cases downright ignoring or making the problem worse for many states is what we as citizens were angry about. Because if they get someone to say under oath that it was created in China, then Trump deserves do-over and just becomes President again. Nothing can ever be his fault.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Just to be clear, this is $300 a month, every month (until it expires, which good luck taking that away from people once they have it)?

$300 per kid under seven $250 for each one over. Senator Brown says he wants to try to extend it for 10 years in the reconciliation bill, but they're going to extend it for at least four.

I really doubt they get 10 years. 4 seems more likely both in terms of keeping it paid for and politically by keeping it active through 2024.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

So....I lost my cousin to the coronavirus last year and I've recently been doing vaccination outreach in Conservative communities, and the above highlights the primary issue that we need to be discussing long term, not just because of COVID-19 but also because of really any society wide emergency issues, especially the massive looming elephant in the room; Climate Change.

And this primary issue is that, as the National Guard Colonel above experienced, Cognitive Dissonance is a thing that exists and we need to figure out how to deal with it, because it undermines every single thing we try to do a society. When people can come just short of drowning in their own lung fluid like they're in the middle of some found footage horror movie and still come out the other side resilient in the opinion that got them nearly killed, that is a serious problem for everyone.

Should we start offering them all checks to move out to a barren stretch of land out in the middle of death valley? Maybe if we can really make them think it's all a part of " Trump's big plan"

Because lets be honest this is a loving death cult. How the gently caress do you reason with that? They're not content to ruin their own lives they want to drag everyone down with them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You should do what some countries are doing and institute a vaccine passport type system that requires proof of vaccination to hit the bars, movies, etc. That seems to be one of the few things that produces large immediate upticks in vaccination rates.

Another thing that works for a portion of people who are unvaccinated is paying them enough money to make up for the days of work they might miss due to any side effects, since there are plenty of folks that can't afford to miss a day.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DTurtle posted:

Emphasis mine.

Aaand then there's this poo poo, because capitalism
https://twitter.com/PEWilliams_/status/1416144561055977477
it remains absurd to me how much diapers cost

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Youth Decay posted:

Aaand then there's this poo poo, because capitalism
https://twitter.com/PEWilliams_/status/1416144561055977477
it remains absurd to me how much diapers cost

"the poors should simply rewash cloth diapers like we did during the war, back in my day"-someone born in 1959

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1417591952065789952

never stop posting!!!!!!!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sounds like a new thread title.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
who the gently caress is screaming "log off" at the house office building

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

who the gently caress is screaming "log off" at the house office building

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"the poors should simply rewash cloth diapers like we did during the war, back in my day"-someone born in 1959

Cloth diapers are a middle-class/hippie fad once again now.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

That would have to be done at the state level and it so would obviously only ever happen in blue states where vaccine uptake is already high. Federalism kinda falls over when half the country has lost its drat mind.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Chinese Gordon posted:

That would have to be done at the state level and it so would obviously only ever happen in blue states where vaccine uptake is already high. Federalism kinda falls over when half the country has lost its drat mind.

Here's an ugly little truth we're all delicately stepping around. The tragedy is they're not dying fast enough. If this was like ebola the issue of new varieties percolating in their lungs would be a non issue, as would a lot of their hesitance. If mom gets a little wheezy then proceeds to straight up die within 24 hours you'd see a lot of this hemming and hawing evaporate.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

I'm sorry for your loss

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
are we going to have to get another set of vaccinations for the new strand? Are we going back to Quarantine? I live in Georgia where our governors an imbecile and would keep things open anyway.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 20, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
can we dial back the bloodthirst posting please?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

are we going to have to get another set of vaccinations for the new strand? Are we going back to Quarantine?

The current full vaccinations seem to suffice, last i heard. Booster shots are probably going to happen in not terribly long though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

are we going to have to get another set of vaccinations for the new strand? Are we going back to Quarantine?

If you got J&J you might need a mRNA shot otherwise no.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I still don't understand why they didn't just straight up give everyone who got vaccinated $1500 or something.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ColdPie posted:

I still don't understand why they didn't just straight up give everyone who got vaccinated $1500 or something.

Offer $1500 in the first month they are offered it, $750 in the 2nd, halving every month they delay. FOMO would kick in.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ColdPie posted:

That was proposed by Senator Bennett iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

can we dial back the bloodthirst posting please?

Thanks.

In L.A. county the main demo for the unvaccinated is 18-29 yr old Black & Hispanic people. I don't think those demos dying off would help the Democrats as much as people itt fantasize.