Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Vilsack is doing a thing, which is cancelling the Farmers to Families Food Box Program.

https://gottobenc.com/usda-announces-continuation-of-the-farmers-to-families-food-box-program/

quote:

The Farmers To Families Food Box Program – U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue announced the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will purchase an additional $1.5 billion worth of food for nationwide distribution through the Farmers to Families Food Box Program. In total, USDA has distributed more than 132 million food boxes in support of American farmers and families affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“This new round of Farmers to Families Food Boxes will go a long way in helping American families access nutritious and healthy meals as we recover from the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Secretary Perdue.

This was started in the 2nd quarter of 2020, and if you were assuming it was just full of corruption and grift, you'd be right. Fun reminder that Perdue responded to correct claims of him using his office for a corrupt land deal by denying he made as much money as was claimed. Basically "I didn't do that well so you're lying."

Lots of links here

https://xtalks.com/why-the-usda-can...%20last%20week.

quote:

Almost immediately, food banks began reporting that deliveries were not arriving, that the boxes were falling apart and that the produce was in poor condition. The program distributed food boxes to around 2,100 of the country’s 3,006 counties, leaving around 1,000 areas without service. Food banks were forced to pick up the slack and incurred thousands of dollars in extra delivery costs.

The program faced extensive criticism about how it allocated its $5.5 billion worth of funding. Contracts went to illegitimate distributors, mediocre food boxes were given to families in need and food banks were forced to step in when the inequitable program didn’t. This is not to say that the program was not helpful to any families or farmers, but the Biden administration had reasons to bail.

The cutoff to apply for this? 75% of your farms AGI being under 900k.

And you could also get relief funds if you grew tobacco or turf sod lmao

The only reason I heard about it?

https://twitter.com/RepCawthorn/status/1384545431967965187?s=20

So if it pisses off Madison it's a good move. If want to help hungry families, expand SNAP and WIC benefits. Don't send them boxes of brown lettuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ho ho ho that’s clever.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1384612226531840002?s=21

“We offered them something neither state wanted. What more do the Dems want?”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Powerful Adama energy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Looking like a cop was called on two girls fighting and lit one of them up.

https://twitter.com/LaceyCrisp/status/1384655872522178560?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nonsense posted:

There better be charges for the pig.

https://twitter.com/rmayemsinger/status/1384655522859679745?s=20

They didn't even tell her to drop the knife, they just opened fire on her instantly.

Oh. It’s even worse. Great.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Disarm them tomorrow and dare them to walk.

What other job is your average cop qualified for in this country? Even more specifically, one with benefits and retirement?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's been clear to me since amadou diallo

murdering a 15-year-old literally as the chauvin verdict was being read just really drove how loving little difference that verdict is going to matter

https://twitter.com/freak_leader/status/1384642747206967296?s=20

I'm sure his tattoos are lovely, and I'm sure that's just a brace for tendonitis.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

evilweasel posted:

pass a new law to give them to the winner of the overall popular vote

"...three citizens chosen at random..."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I feel like we never bring up that desantis won his house seat using the same stolen information about Florida that trump got.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1384882691838025732?s=21

Smiling like a sociopath.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is he the Swanson frozen dinner heir, or is that the other one?

Swanson!

I'm also a sicko so I'll be interseted to see how Glenn Greenwald ignores this in favor of the greater fascism project they're both working on.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nice CVN you have there. Would be a shame if something were to be dropped on it.

https://twitter.com/asbmilitary/status/1384917404795523078?s=21

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Zaphod42 posted:

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1385039260227616768?s=20

I know Fox News says dumb poo poo is nothing new but this one really just leaves me dumbfounded

fool of sound posted:

That's richard helms. Jesse Helms was ridiculously long serving US senator and massive bigot. Mostly racism but he really just loved every form of bigotry he came across.

The inspiration for one of LF's greatest posts which of course I can't find now which was a fake obituary for him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I found it!

Autopsy-Turvey posted:

Ageless lich Jesse Helms completes phylactery - a eulogy

This week the shriveled husk of million term United States Senator and malevolent lich Jesse Helms was sealed in a bleak crypt deep beneath the sands of his native Stygia, North Carolina. Flowers placed on his grave by grieving shitheads withered and died within seconds.

Helms, known to friends and slaves alike as an unredeemed racist, was famous in the Senate for his passionate defense of segregation, opposition to the civil and voting rights acts, and his black crusade against the sun and all things which draw life from it.

As one of the first conservative talk radio hosts of the 1960’s Helms pioneered the technique of getting poor stupid whites to vote against their own interests by tricking them into hulking the gently caress out over black people, immigrants, and the betrayal of the Confederacy by jews, liberals, and the hated abstract concept of literacy. He went on to parley his repulsive backwoods celebrity with the curbstomp set into a long career in government where he played a prominent role in the unbelievably vicious and petty dixiecrat movement. His leadership resulted in a fundamental realignment of the American domestic political scene over the question of just how much we should hate niggers (”A whole lot”, contended Helms).

Long considered a strong contender for “worst person in the entire world” Helms in his declining years began to find that limited title constraining. Last summer recess he gathered together all the educated mulattos and wizened negro shaman from the swamps and dungeons of his grim feudal demesne and began a search for the blackest of black tomes, arts, and metal. That search culminated last week in his ascension to lichdom with the completion of a vile phylactery in the form of a fat lipped bejeweled bone sambo, pulsating with false life and the rhythm of hot jungle beats. His triumph over death itself coincides with a departure from this plane of existence for the astral realms, where he will spend the next thousand years pursuing recognition as the “worst person in the entire metaverse.”

Here on Earth Helms will be remembered as a southern gentleman, a family man, and the kind of guy that’ll eventually turn out to have dozens of child sized skeletons buried in his yard and whose family members when interviewed will say they thought he just liked collecting tiny shoes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Which Senators intern is tasked with putting those lovely charts together?

Like do they draw straws, or does one senator have a reputation for always having a kid who's good with MSPaint?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Arist posted:

AOC debating MTG would be a massive mistake and I have to imagine she knows that.

I assume you’re meaning for AOC and if so I agree.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Tim Ryan v JD Vance is the kind of hell we all deserve.

https://twitter.com/catargetbot/status/1386536938157395969?s=21

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Okay. Okay.

https://twitter.com/joecunninghamsc/status/1386651277052899328?s=21

His district was +10 R when he won it. It’s SC 1 which is Charleston and surrounding plantations.

He’s running on Medicaid expansion, teacher raises, and roads, none of which are unpopular in SC. A poll in 2019 showed 73% of SC voters supported “expanding access to Medicaid.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Just how bad could this cops body cam footage be?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1387096706840506372?s=21

They’ve gone ahead and fortified the city and and now this, and it still hasn’t been released.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

zoux posted:

Jim Justice is the richest man in WV and I guess he just doesn't give a gently caress because compared to the other super red states, West Virginia had far and away the best COVID response. He was more like Hogan running MD than the other Trump hugging governors like Noem, DeSantis, and Abbott who made it into a political issue. I'm not super familiar with WV politics, I just recall being often surprised at the reasonableness of that state's response when compared what one would expect out of West Virginia.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/lung_disease_mortality/lung_disease.htm

Someone understood they really needed to dive on this.

Plus WV is one of the few states that have dedicated pulmonary rehabilitation clinics for their citizens, and everyone there is either themselves or knows someone dying of a chronic respiratory illness.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1387449303619325958?s=21

Oh yeah. This’ll calm things down.

quote:

The body-camera footage of police fatally shooting Andrew Brown Jr., a Black man in Elizabeth City, N.C., will not be released to the public but will be disclosed to Brown’s family, a judge ruled Wednesday, following days of outcry and protests over an encounter with unanswered questions.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Susan Collins is worried about the boulder that keeps the tiger away

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1387804273296265218?s=21

Surely this doesn’t convince anyone of anything anymore. Like how many rounds of QE and wall street helicopter money have we gone through in the past decade plus? And for a while we were worried about DEFLATION?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It should be noted that when Susan Collins references her “concerns,” she doesn’t mean any of this, and instead is fear mongering that if we let the poor have access to the dentist, middle Americans will wake up one day and their favorite Chili’s burger will suddenly cost 18 dollars instead of 12.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Velocity Raptor posted:

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NMNHMQgWfI :nws:

What is crazy to me is the police response here. Remember, cops were approaching Brown to serve a warrant. They came driving up in a pickup, with cops in the back in full swat gear. The truck stops at the end of the driveway, everyone jumps out. You hear shouting as the cops approach, then what sounds like a gunshot and a yell together (at 35 seconds).

5 seconds between getting out of the truck and shots fired. This was a literal loving hit.

E:

They look like some isis death squad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
“Think we’ll get in trouble if we use dales new f150?”

“Nah, chief won’t care.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Prosecutors will often describe amounts that small in milligrams.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

quote:

“If I get you $250k in Bitcoin would that help or is this not a financial matter,” Greenberg wrote to Stone.

“I understand all of this and have taken it into consideration,” Stone replied. “I will know more in the next 24 hours I cannot push too hard because of the nonsense surrounding pardons.”

“I hope you are prepared to wire me $250,000 because I am feeling confident,” Stone wrote to Greenberg on Jan. 13.

Can Stone go back to prison too please?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
big night

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1387932170426126336?s=20

quote:

The FBI warned Rudolph W. Giuliani in late 2019 that he was the target of a Russian influence operation aimed at circulating falsehoods intended to damage President Biden politically ahead of last year’s election, according to people familiar with the matter.

The warning was part of an extensive effort by the bureau to alert members of Congress and at least one conservative media outlet, One America News, that they faced a risk of being used to further Russia’s attempt to influence the election’s outcome, said several current and former U.S. officials. All spoke on the condition of anonymity because the matter remains highly sensitive.

Giuliani received the FBI’s warning while deeply involved with former president Donald Trump’s 2020 reelection campaign and related activities in Ukraine to surface unflattering or incriminating information about the Biden family. The revelation comes as the FBI this week seized Giuliani’s cellphone and other electronic devices as part of a long-running criminal investigation into whether the onetime New York mayor and personal attorney for Trump acted as an unregistered foreign agent.

Wonder if this has anything to do with Johnson's equivocating on whether or not he'll run for reelection.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Oracle posted:

Nobody really cared about that (they beat the poo poo out of their kids too). The problem was men would drink up their paycheck and leave the women and children without clothes and food. Women would actually go to the factory and beg for the check instead of their husbands picking it up so they could maybe buy some groceries before he drank it away.

This is literally a scene from Angela's Ashes.

There were a ton of problems with rampant alcohol abuse back in the early 20th century, and a lot of causes. For example it still wasn't safe to drink water in the cities. Very few had anything resembling plumbing yet, and even in the cities that had it like New York or Boston, the poorer sections of town certainly did not. conversely the rich parts of town had actual no poo poo cocaine in their public fountains, so that water wasn't safe either, just for different reasons.

To say nothing of the sheer DRASTIC amount of drinking that was going on. Like, today, 5% of americans over the age of 18 consume at least 14 alcoholic drinks a week. Basically 2 drinks a day. From 1900 to 1915?

quote:

From 1900 until 1915—five years before the 18th Amendment passed—the average adult drank about 2.5 gallons of pure alcohol a year, which is about 13 standard drinks per week.

This doesn't count beer!

The exact rates of rampant hepatic encephalopathy, or neuro syphilis, or hepatitis are unknown but were crippling in the cities. All these are connected for obvious reasons to alcohol abuse. But we know a lot about syphilis. Like one of the reasons federally supported school lunches became a thing was because the army didn't have enough able bodied recruits and it's very safe to say the same would have happened due to alcoholism.

Like poo poo!

quote:

Sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s) have posed a threat to military service members throughout history. [2, 3] In the US Army during World War I they were the second most common reason for disability and absence from duty, being responsible for nearly 7 million lost person-days and the discharge of more than 10,000 men. Only the Spanish influenza epidemic of 1918-1919 accounted for more loss of duty during that war. During World War II between 1941 and 1945 the annual incidence of STD’s in the US Army was 43 per 1,000 strength. In the Vietnam War during the period 1963 to 1970 the overall average annual incidence of STD’s was 262 per 1,000 strength, compared with, at the time, 30 per 1,000 in continental US-based army personnel. In Vietnam 90% of STD cases were due to gonorrhoea and slightly over 1% were due to syphilis. [3] The impact of gonorrhoea and syphilis on military personnel in terms of morbidity and mortality was greatly mitigated after 1943 due to the introduction of penicillin, as well as other factors such as education, prophylaxis, training of health personnel and adequate and rapid access to treatment.

https://jmvh.org/article/syphilis-its-early-history-and-treatment-until-penicillin-and-the-debate-on-its-origins/

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Paracaidas posted:

Weigel and Sykes both discussing the differences in grassroots and backbench GOP response from 2009-2010 to today. I'd (again) suggest that nobody overextend on conclusions-the lack of an astroturfed Tea Party successor so far doesn't mean that there isn't one coming or that the deficit hawks have lost the party and it's now Dem Neoliberalism vs GOP populism or whatever the gently caress. Just something to think about and consider if you're of the belief that 2022 will be guided by 2010, or that Dem success in 2018 spells doom for their majority next year.

Part of me is worrisome that there is something brewing. Tea Party poo poo happened very suddenly all at once with fox news support and massive online infrastructure. It was nowhere until it was everywhere.

But the other part thinks it would have happened by now. Santelli did his rant on the floor of the chicago stock exchange feb 9th of 2009. Glenn Beck did his nonsensical "we surround them" speech sometime around then. The first big rallies were in April on tax day.

The only (clearly) coordinated republican effort right now are voter suppression laws and anti trans bills.

I don't know if it's just the Koch's having gotten what they want or the corporate powers that be realizing the GOP overreached. Frankly things are bad enough right now without an astroturfed tea party.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I prefer the comedy answer. Republicans incompetence at managing covid, basic shite house staffing etc means that they are now simply incapable of organizing anything like that

Republican politicians at the national level are absolutely a hollowed out husk, especially in the house. Not just in that they're crazy extremists or whatever, but that they're almost certainly not doing any work. Like the actual day to day of going to committee, reading documents, etc is almost certainly not happening on the house side. Am I supposed to believe that Madison Cawthron is reading a bunch of detailed budget reports about the VA? Or really cares at all about Federal funding for education initiatives?

But that's not all that different from 2008/2009. Tea Party sorta occurred outside of the actual elected GOP apparatus. The tea party congressmen certainly weren't a part of the government when they got elected in 2010; they just owned like 2 quiznos in the middle of montana and got a bunch of money from /gestures broadly

So republican incompetence aside I don't think that would stop it from happening again. Maybe the death of adelson and david koch really have just neutered that entire thing. Or maybe Obama really was just that hated for all the reasons and could tie the right together for another push.

I will say that it's a huge loving deal that the GOP has become so stupid and incompetent at the organizational level. The house has always been a cluster, but it was never so bad that Kevin McCarthy was the smartest one. We all despise McConnell but he's not looking great and kentucky is clearly taking steps to mitigate his succession in the event something happens suddenly.

What's going to happen to the GOP then? Or american politics in general? Is John Thune gonna be the one who carries the mantle of being able to coordinate...something? Like without Mitch does even that first Covid relief bill get passed?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Feldegast42 posted:

Regarding the GOP I think the next big thing to supercharge the right in this country is actually what's happening in France. If you haven been paying attention they are very quickly going full sieg heil fash, with LePen pretty far ahead in the polls and 60% of the country (according to one poll) in favor of a possible military coup being undertaken to purge Islam from the country. And the core of this movement aren't the olds or the well off either, but instead the younger generations / millennials.

Liberal democracy is very quickly dying across the world right now.

that poll was done by TF1, which isn't necessarily a perfect mirror of fox news in france, but it's the closest thing. The french don't really give a poo poo about news like we do in the states, but that one is generally going to be watched by people that are more inclined to believe in strong military actions to get rid of muslims anyway. Also, there's a weird trend in france where the left just won't participate in opinion polling. It's just not a big thing over there.

As far as presidential approval, french presidents always have a low approval rating. Macron's predecessor Hollande left office with a zero percent approval. Honestly Macron in the high thirties is pretty high, historically.

And the presidential polls do not matter in the french system. Like here we go.

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/france/

Macron is at 25%, Le Pen is at 26%

but France has multiple rounds for presidential elections, and only one right wing party. So yeah in the first round le pen is going to win and so is macron and the US press will panic again. And the second round all the disaffected leftists of various stripes will swallow hard to keep le pen out of office.

This exact same dynamic happened in the last french presidential election, and Le Pen's party lost so bad she had to change the name, not just at the national level but throughout all of france.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

lol at “actually almost a third of Swedes have ancestry from another country, like Finland”

The Fins are animals.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Americans of all hues and creeds unite to get in a sick dunk on France

William Seward's last ditch plan to avoid the Civil War was just to declare war on France and launch an invasion of the European continent.

Obviously they didn't use that plan.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
edit* oops, just saw ralph

evilweasel posted:

the ACA literally had single payer health care for those people. it was the medicaid expansion

But medicaid is not accepted by all providers. Here is just a quick thing I've pulled up to add substance to this and back up my own experiences. This is just the first thing I found you can find studies like this all over the place.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20190401.678690/full/

Essentially medicaid tends to pay out around 70% of what what medicare does.

Now this isn't a huge deal with GPs, the most important thing people need to see. And let me start by saying getting 70% of people without insurance to see ANY GP through medicaid expansion would be a seachange event.

But GPs will point out that if you shifted to this overnight, this would throw off their entire day because they'd be spending it with a person who hasn't had a lot of healthcare in their life and getting paid less to gently caress over their other patients blah blah blah. This is true to an extent and is a problem that would correct over time as people received more management; it's quicker to follow up than have a new patient, obviously.

You don't want to stress out your GPs. They've got enough going on. But if you just look at that chart, the biggest discrepancy is psych. And within the population without healthcare, one of the most important things that should be treated is mental health. Mental health treatment is a problem throughout American society, everyone knows someone that has struggled to find a psychiatrist even with good insurance, so good luck finding one in rural WV if you have medicaid.

The people you want to tell to go gently caress themselves are the orthos.

quote:

In this two-part survey study, we found that a simulated patient with commercial insurance was more likely to have their insurance accepted and to gain timely access to orthopaedic care than a patient with Medicaid. Academic practice setting and increased Medicaid reimbursement rates were associated with increased access to care for the patient with Medicaid. Inequality in access to orthopedic care based on health insurance status likely exists for the adult patient with Medicaid. Furthermore, Medicaid expansion has likely realized minimal gains in access to care for the adult orthopaedic patient. Further research is needed in delineating the patient-payer selection criteria used by orthopedic practices to aid policymakers in reforming the Medicaid program and comprehensibly addressing this access to care disparity.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11999-017-5263-3

There's tons of studies about this but at the end of the day there are several professions that will go out of their way not to accept medicaid. They'll either flat out refuse (tom price's old clinic was notorious for this) or jerk people around and schedule them three months out or things like that. And people do need orthopedic procedures, especially your laborers and what not who are blowing their rotator cuffs to pieces.

Medicaid expansion was the best part of the ACA and is what provided the largest increase in healthcare, and politicians that refuse to expand it are ghouls. But it's not UHC as long as providers can just refuse to accept it. Expansion of medicaid needs to be accompanied with a combination of sticks and carrots at the national level, and we probably need a period of OVER compensation just to get the uninsured better managed in the short term.

Like if I'm a family practice clinic and I've got a schedule full of 40 minute appointments at 70% reimbursement that's a real good way to get into financial trouble quick. This could easily be corrected with a billing adjustment though.

gently caress orthos though they can all eat poo poo. Maybe get the medium sized fountain for the lobby.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 3, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The real question is did they use two cameras for a shot of Mark eating plain toast, or did they do two takes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
FWIW MDMA in psychotherapy wasn't uncommon in the 70s and 80s and it wasn't until the drug war years that people decided it plugged holes in the brain (it doesn't)

quote:

3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), also known as ecstasy, was first synthesized in 1912 but first reached widespread popularity as a legal alternative after the much sought-after recreational drug 3,4-methylenedioxy-amphetamine (MDA) was made illegal in 1970. Because of its benign, feeling-enhancing, and nonhallucinatory properties, MDMA was used by a few dozen psychotherapists in the United States between 1977 and 1985, when it was still legal. This article looks into the contexts and practices of its psychotherapeutic use during these years. Some of the guidelines, recommendations, and precautions developed then are similar to those that apply to psychedelic drugs, but others are specific for MDMA. It is evident from this review that the therapists pioneering the use of MDMA were able to develop techniques (and indications/counterindications) for individual and group therapy that laid the groundwork for the use of MDMA in later scientific studies. In retrospect, it appears that the perceived beneficial effects of MDMA supported a revival of psycholytic/psychedelic therapy on an international scale

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2050324518767442

The VA has been using it for around 5 ish years in trials with PTSD with great results, from what I understand, and there's a couple of outpatient psychiatric clinics that are allowed to do trials with it. It's heavily controlled obviously and you have to fail a LOT of other treatments before it's an option, but its kind of like the whole ketamine for depression thing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Paracaidas posted:

I mean, one generally doesn't rise to #3 in leadership without some actual backing. For reference: Her counterpart on the Dem side is Jeffries, presumptive frontrunner to replace Pelosi (previously: Crowley and Becerra).

I dunno, I think at this point in the house GOP whatever cream there is is going to rise to the top. I had mentioned this the other day that there just aren't that many people in the House GOP that can like....read.

Liz is smart in a cynical, evil kind of way and obviously has family ties to some serious GOP dark donor money. Plus she'll never lose that seat and anyone stupid enough to primary her would probably end up in a ditch after shooting themselves in the back of the head multiple times.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I mean we had an army ready to go in 1783.

At that point even the souther slave owners believed slavery was going to phase out over the next 20 years. It wasn't until the rapid expansion of slavery westward, the industrial development of the north east, and various other political developments in the 1820s that the planter aristocracy realized everything about their way of life depended in slavery.

Hell, John C Calhoun was a staunch federalist who also believed slavery was just going to be phased out until a slave uprising in 1822 (and andrew Jackson's ascension) forced him to change his views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
How much could it have cost to buy Xanga or something?