Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Problem description: After installing the latest Windows 10 feature update, a friend of mine started having frequent dwm.exe crashes when playing games (screen goes black for a few seconds, then recovers). He also noticed that if he started any game up, it would break the screensaver/monitor sleep mode feature, leaving the computer unable to turn on the screensaver or put the monitor into sleep mode until it was rebooted.

Attempted fixes: Updating/reverting graphics card drivers, sfc /scannow, uninstalling the Windows update and reverting to version 1909. That last one actually worked... for about a month, until Windows forcibly reinstalled the update. Now we're not sure what to do.

Recent changes: Installed the latest Windows 10 feature update.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64 Bit 20H2 Build 19042.928

System specs: Ryzen gen 1 CPU, NVidia GTX 1060. I'm posting on behalf of my friend so I don't have detailed specs immediately on hand, but I can ask for more details the next time I talk to him / as they become relevant.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Lork fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
There was another NVidia driver update, Windows Update offered an update to a monitor driver that it hadn't before, and he turned off fast boot. Apparently one of those fixed both the crashing and the screensaver issue. Not sure which, but we can't complain. :shrug: