Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

Every time you bring this up I feel like your username is inaccurate.

TBF it's taken from the name of an album full of bizarre and goofy tape mixing stuff. It's fairly noisy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq-yBB3DSGk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah, I just find it so funny. Like it's very closed loop in a way I don't think I've see in other genres. I guess you could all say they're in Sunn's orbit!!! :dadjoke:

It is a rather closed loop. It makes some sense tho, it's not a super accessible genre and I think it takes a real particular mindset to listen to and a more particular one to create it. All the other bands I'd describe as droney are super smalltime bands or bands that have already collaborated with Sunn, so like, Boris, Ulver, etc.

gently caress A JOB

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gramps posted:

Are you really really stoned? cause you kinda gotta be really really stoned.

I prefer Dopethrone by Electric Wizard myself

Yes this

more falafel please posted:

the drone is the payoff

Yes this

rear end-penny posted:

let's get him to queue up Sunn O))) next

gently caress, also this

hot cocoa on the couch

our morning white board meetings have gone to being one gathering that lasts 5 minutes to now being a meeting where we walk around to every machine being built on the floor and talking about it. today this was 30 minutes. all for the benefit of this one dude who is now co-owner of the company but completely checked out and is rarely here for more than an hour or two a day. maybe if you were around more you'd be more familiar with the machines we are building, fucker! now you have to drag the engineering team around to every single one to chat about them? worst of all he claims this is so "issues don't slip through the cracks". we know what the issues are, we work on the machines every goddamn day with the assembly team! i hate meetings so loving much!!!!!!!!!!

of course this guy drives a ferarri

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

cruft

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

our morning white board meetings have gone to being one gathering that lasts 5 minutes to now being a meeting where we walk around to every machine being built on the floor and talking about it. today this was 30 minutes. all for the benefit of this one dude who is now co-owner of the company but completely checked out and is rarely here for more than an hour or two a day. maybe if you were around more you'd be more familiar with the machines we are building, fucker! now you have to drag the engineering team around to every single one to chat about them? worst of all he claims this is so "issues don't slip through the cracks". we know what the issues are, we work on the machines every goddamn day with the assembly team! i hate meetings so loving much!!!!!!!!!!

of course this guy drives a ferarri

We have daily standups too. I keep trying to get them down to like 15 minutes or shorter, but the people on my team really like talking to each other. I don't want to kill the frankly enviable team dynamic we have going here, so I've just been letting them go.

When we were in person everybody would spend a lot of time in my office shooting the breeze. It always wound up with good stuff coming out of it for work, so I never tried to clamp it down. And, come to think of it, yesterday after talking about home wiring, we wound up putting our heads together to figure out what the most likely bottleneck was in the distributed file system, which is going to be a huge win.

Thanks, hot cocoa on the couch, for convincing me we're doing okay!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
hey efn and others
do y'all like Boris? their albums kinda vary randomly between drone, doom, pop, noise, etc

I saw them in DC when "new album" was new, but I saw em again when they were touring and playing all of Flood straight and it f u k k i n r o o l e d

Ass-penny

Sarah Cenia posted:

hey efn and others
do y'all like Boris? their albums kinda vary randomly between drone, doom, pop, noise, etc

I saw them in DC when "new album" was new, but I saw em again when they were touring and playing all of Flood straight and it f u k k i n r o o l e d

I like Boris, I should listen to more Boris. I once drunk posted in PHIZ and woke up to this post:

to be fair I've only had the dream two or three times

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

more falafel please

forums poster

i saw boris at a festival one time and they blew out multiple orange stacks. i don't know how much they got paid for that set but it was probably a net negative

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Betty Wight

At the office there are two doors

One labeled “supplies”
The other labeled “IT”

The are the same door

Escape From Noise

Sarah Cenia posted:

hey efn and others

Oh yeah. I haven't listened to them for a while, but I saw them live like three times I think?

Edit: I was really mad about that pop album tbh. I bought it without listening to it beforehand and remember thinking I must have bought another band's album by mistake.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 7, 2022

Escape From Noise

I'm sorta frustrated with work, it's not bad, I pretty much have nothing to do so I've been coming in late and leaving early a lot lately. I was told that this was fine, but it also feels like this is breeding a bit of resentment with the kitchen staff seeing as they are kitchen staff, and are thus worked to death. I'd rather have little to do than being crushed by a needlessly busy schedule like the last place i worked at before, but being so free is also sorta boring.

I'm also getting really irritated with the disconnect between my immediate superiors, middle, and upper management. This company is massive so the branch president is rarely here. Mostly I report to the restaurant manager, but he's incredibly busy so when I try to talk to him he gets mad and tells me to talk to the next guy under him who's sorta...slow and clueless about a lot. Sometimes the branch president will text me (during business hours) and ask me about things or asking me to get things done. Apparently I have to go and report this to the guy under the restaurant manager and wait for an answer to relate back to him. On top of this, no one can seem to agree on the volume of beer they want me putting out. Or what kind. Or when. When I moved back here in mid August I started working on sketching out a rough schedule and writing up recipes and getting prep work done for when we got our license. Before that I'd come up to Osaka to do tank measurements for the final steps of the licensing process. I didn't mind coming here. It was light enough work, and getting out of town was nice. They were also paying me. But after all of that I brewed my first batch of beer here at the beginning of October after getting our license at the end of August. I was told by the branch manager he wanted to ramp up production pretty quick. I did the first two brews in one week. Once those beers were finished at the beginning of November I packaged them. Then I just did nothing until I brewed another beer the beginning of last month. Then did two more brews at the end of last month. I thought that this was maybe due to it being the end of the year because New Year's is a huge deal here and things are insane and like close down. Orders need to be put in and books need to be balanced, etc. I mean, my boss had me make end of the year orders. Recently the branch manager texted me asking when a certain beer would be done and I said it could be done next week. I didn't want to throw the restaurant manager under the bus so I didn't mention I had been waiting for his okay. He asked me to get it finished ASAP.

I came in today to outline a production schedule for the six beers we bought ingredients for that we could brew with ingredients on hand and the restaurant manager kind of snaps at me and says we need to slow down production because we don't have enough room in the walk-in for several batches of beer. This was something I pointed out as an issue when I started here two years ago. They always acted like they had a solution. I guess they don't. It's this weird turnaround after we'd talked last month or so and sketched out a schedule. Based on all that I ordered materials, etc. We got our bottling machine so they want to bottle, but they haven't figured out labeling, much less ordered any. They haven't ordered caps. They didn't even have enough bottles on hand to calibrate the bottler when it got here and the branch manager keeps acting like we're just gonna bottle the next batch. We don't have enough CO2 canisters for bottling either. I mentioned this, but getting that sorted will probably take months as well. Like, these aren't huge issues but it's frustrating. I have enough freedom to make decisions unilaterally on how everything in the brewery is done. I can build my own schedule, mostly, but everything's moving at this snail's pace. I thought maybe it was just an end of the year thing, but I'm not sure. Communicating with superiors and management is this concentric game of telephone and no decision is ever really final, even if it seems like it.

I dunno. I'll give it a year before I make any big decisions. This is the most stable job I've had in the brewing industry here, but things are just so ill defined and murky, no matter how much clarification I ask for. I feel like I just complain about wherever I work, at least that's what I get from certain industry people when I talk about issues I'm having, so I've kind of stopped. On the one hand I feel like complaining about your job is an inalienable right, but on the other there is always something with me. I guess it also looks like "Everyone's stupid except me." when I talk about this stuff, like I always know better than my bosses. I don't know. I kind of feel like if I'm going to quit this place I should open my own place because I've moved around too much so I look impatient and flighty. Outside of JET I haven't held a job for much longer than a year. The problem is, I can't really just open on my own and I lack any business experience, so it's probably a non starter. I guess I'm just bored.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
If your direct manager is the restaurant manager, I think it is safe to say you do know more about the brewing process than them, including scheduling concerns. If they don't have the storage space right now then you probably are going to be slow until that gets addressed; all you can do is point out to management that the kit you have is capable of X throughput, but that requires Y storage to handle well, so until those numbers align then you are going to have lots of time available to calibrate kit. Is there the space / capability to do small batch brew testing? If you are not busy using all the kettles, there may be traction for you to use any between-big-batches time to run small batch recipe testing for more experimental recipes to see what sticks?

Basically you'd be asking for permission to have a play on the company dime, but it is also arguably useful to be able to do the R&D for new brews and also to experiment with previously untested flavour profiles. Any time senior management come down with "hey can we make X beer?" it goes on the list and gets tested small batch when you are on downtime, and you now have the bottler to be able to package it for senior management to test it as well.

They may not go for it, but IMO if you have the downtime anyway then it's as good a filler as any, since storage is not enough for full production output at this time.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Sitting in a meeting about the new standardized symbology in the company mapping software and just letting it all wash over me in a wave of white noise because my department does not utilize the mapping software at all, but we're going to incorporate every department eventually and have a centralized hub for all projects and we'll be reaching out for your input on how to incorporate your department's needs soon, for real this time.

At least I got here early enough to snag one of the comfy chairs.

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

If your direct manager is the restaurant manager, I think it is safe to say you do know more about the brewing process than them, including scheduling concerns. If they don't have the storage space right now then you probably are going to be slow until that gets addressed; all you can do is point out to management that the kit you have is capable of X throughput, but that requires Y storage to handle well, so until those numbers align then you are going to have lots of time available to calibrate kit. Is there the space / capability to do small batch brew testing? If you are not busy using all the kettles, there may be traction for you to use any between-big-batches time to run small batch recipe testing for more experimental recipes to see what sticks?

Basically you'd be asking for permission to have a play on the company dime, but it is also arguably useful to be able to do the R&D for new brews and also to experiment with previously untested flavour profiles. Any time senior management come down with "hey can we make X beer?" it goes on the list and gets tested small batch when you are on downtime, and you now have the bottler to be able to package it for senior management to test it as well.

They may not go for it, but IMO if you have the downtime anyway then it's as good a filler as any, since storage is not enough for full production output at this time.

I don't really have a smaller batch system. We're only 500 liters. Just kind of have to wait I guess. It could be worse but...eh.

Escape From Noise

I swear to loving God, the only time these people come to me with questions is when I'm right in the middle of some critical process that is time sensitive. Read the loving room!

Farecoal

There he go
I'm being paid at least 25 cents less an hour now then when I started half a year ago thanks to inflation, and I'm petrified of asking for a raise. Yay!

Ass-penny

Farecoal posted:

I'm being paid at least 25 cents less an hour now then when I started half a year ago thanks to inflation, and I'm petrified of asking for a raise. Yay!
time to update the resume and shop it around imo.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Yep. Every major raise I’ve gotten in my life has been the result of me picking my rear end up and getting a new job in a new place. It’s a bummer but generally the way of things.

NumptyScrub

Bo-Pepper posted:

Yep. Every major raise I’ve gotten in my life has been the result of me picking my rear end up and getting a new job in a new place. It’s a bummer but generally the way of things.

It is 100% the way of things, our HR team literally blocks any raise more than a certain % of current salary regardless of actual role change; I could go from my current position to CTO, and I'd still get told I can only have x% raise for it. Leaving and then applying for CTO I'd get the actual CTO money (several hundred percent increase) no questions asked.

It's bullshit all the way down :bahgawd:

Corporate loyalty is a trap do not fall for it

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 12, 2022

Escape From Noise

I should probably consider that after I have stayed on here another year. Was thinking of asking for a raise eventually, but I'm a little intimidated by that and it's probably not happening.

cruft

I should probably consider that after I have stayed on here another year. Was thinking of asking for a raise eventually, but I'm a little intimidated by that and it's probably not happening.

You should, at a minimum, request a "cost of living adjustment". Every year.

Look up what inflation was for the previous year and ask for that. If you don't, you're volunteering for a yearly pay cut.

Escape From Noise

I know taxes increased recently. So yeah...

Escape From Noise

Looks like there hasn't been much inflation though.

NumptyScrub

UK Consumer Price Index is at 4.6% over the last 12 months, and my place has a cap of 3.5% for raises (that's for 100% on your review)

gently caress a job

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
there are only 5 grounds crew left not sick and the big boss just came down with it

I have been informed by my supervisor that he'll kill me if I get sick
lol

NumptyScrub posted:

gently caress a job

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

UK Consumer Price Index is at 4.6% over the last 12 months, and my place has a cap of 3.5% for raises (that's for 100% on your review)

gently caress a job

Yes, I also got a cost of living adjustment + raise that was less than inflation. In fairness to my employer, they had to set this base rate over a year ago.

Ass-penny

Yeah if you don't ask for a raise once a year I don't know what to tell you. Unless of course you have a boss who is proactive with giving raises, of which I've had maybe one or two out of twenty or so different bosses.

Escape From Noise

I also haven't had a job that has lasted much longer than a year for a long time. The last one was in JET for 4 years and that salary is non-negotiable.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I open paper food stamp applications for a living. Today I had an applicant who is an old man named Russyl. It made me smile to learn that even in the 1940s, parents were already finding funky fresh new ways to misspell their childrens' names, just like today. Here's 2 u Russyl

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

more falafel please

forums poster

my mom's name is spelled like one common name but pronounced like a different common name, and she gets mad at strangers when they spell or pronounce it wrong. how are they supposed to know!

cruft

My mom's name is Margaret but it's pronounced Cassandra.

Gramps

my mom's name is spelled like one common name but pronounced like a different common name, and she gets mad at strangers when they spell or pronounce it wrong. how are they supposed to know!

I knew a guy whose last name is Skaw but he got really mad when people pronounced it "ska". Apparently the correct pronunciation rhymes with Ow. Again- who the gently caress would know that?!?!

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

My mom's name is Margaret but it's pronounced Cassandra.

it's sorta like that but they're similar names. think more along the lines of Kathleen (pronounced Catherine)

cruft

Gramps posted:

I knew a guy whose last name is Skaw but he got really mad when people pronounced it "ska". Apparently the correct pronunciation rhymes with Ow. Again- who the gently caress would know that?!?!

In the olden days, people would change how the name was spelled so that it would get pronounced correctly by native speakers in whatever country. I have a weirdly-spelled first name and in the last 10 years have begun intentionally misspelling it for exactly this reason. It's usually more important for folks to understand how to speak my name. Of course, this doesn't work for legal stuff.

This is how we got the names Johnson, Kingsley, and Murphy from Jensen, Koenigsberger, and Mlodzianowski.

e: come to think of it, misspelling so native speakers could pronounce it somewhat correctly is the origin story of my last name, too.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 13, 2022

Escape From Noise

My last name might be like completely made up. Or a misspelling. Possibly intentional. I heard somebody was trying to avoid/flee military service.

NumptyScrub

Gramps posted:

Nordic letter "a with a ring above" å is pronounced like an english o, so that may be related, if the name was originally Skåw (see also Skål = "Skol!")

it's sorta like that but they're similar names. think more along the lines of Kathleen (pronounced Catherine)

Irish names are awesome for confusing pronunciation, Caitlín (Cathleen), Niamh (Neeve), Siobhán (Shivon), Síla (Sheila)

I am fascinated by languages and pronunciation, and working for a multinational is great for finding new language trivia lol

Farecoal

There he go

I also haven't had a job that has lasted much longer than a year for a long time. The last one was in JET for 4 years and that salary is non-negotiable.

What's JET?

Areola Grande posted:

I open paper food stamp applications for a living.

That's a niche job :prepop:

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Farecoal posted:

That's a niche job :prepop:

yeah it is. I love it

Ass-penny

Yeah two years a job is pretty average for me, but I dunno something or nother got me stuck at this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
I just realized I'm all alone in my quadrant of the office. One co-worker is out sick, one is on vacation and I don't know where the third one went, I swear she was here earlier.
Realizing there's no one around to notice me loving around or dozing off on my desk makes it super hard to stay focused.