Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

DaChurl posted:

I just realized I'm all alone in my quadrant of the office. One co-worker is out sick, one is on vacation and I don't know where the third one went, I swear she was here earlier.
Realizing there's no one around to notice me loving around or dozing off on my desk makes it super hard to stay focused.

That's funny, all that attention has never stopped me from being unfocused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
She's back!

DaChurl

cruft posted:

That's funny, all that attention has never stopped me from being unfocused.

Oh for sure. Even when I wasn't alone I spent more time researching options to extend my patio than actually working today. Being alone just ramps that up to eleven.

Escape From Noise

Farecoal posted:

What's JET?

Oh, sorry! It's a program for teaching English in Japan at public schools.

cruft

Japanese English Teachin'

cruft

Jerks Educating Tykes

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

Japanese English Teachin'

It used to be that but they changed it to Japan Exchange Teaching because there are other language teachers.

That job had so many acronyms and so much weird jargon.

Farecoal

There he go

Escape From Noise posted:

Oh, sorry! It's a program for teaching English in Japan at public schools.

No problem, I thought it was some huge Japanese brewery.

cruft

Farecoal posted:

Japan's Enormous keTtle

Escape From Noise

Farecoal posted:

Oh no. There's no way I'd get a job at a big place! Biggest place I tried was probably Widmer Brothers but I was rejected. Probably for the best. 12 hour shirts seemed intense.

Farecoal

There he go

I've heard of fast fashion but this is ridiculous

Escape From Noise

Shifts. drat it

Ass-penny

Farecoal posted:

I've heard of fast fashion but this is ridiculous

I wear everything once and throw it away.

Counterpoint is a Homeboy Sandman line on one of the song Vertigo off the first LICE record, "I don’t throw no boxers out until they’re completely dissolved"

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

xcheopis

Some colleagues on National Homeless Persons Memorial Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPAtgcnCWw

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Finger Prince

I can't sleep because I've been obsessing about this argument I had with someone in another department this morning, and that ain't healthy at all. At least it didn't escalate and stayed civil but it's complete bs and it'll happen again, and that person is on days off now so it'll be a week or more before it comes up again, so there's no resolution there. And the thing is, even if she's right, my underlying premise that complacency is not a thing you base a plan on, no matter how many times it's worked for you in the past, is completely lost on, well generally that whole department. Anyway, gently caress a job.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Finger Prince posted:

I can't sleep because I've been obsessing about this argument I had with someone in another department this morning, and that ain't healthy at all. At least it didn't escalate and stayed civil but it's complete bs and it'll happen again, and that person is on days off now so it'll be a week or more before it comes up again, so there's no resolution there. And the thing is, even if she's right, my underlying premise that complacency is not a thing you base a plan on, no matter how many times it's worked for you in the past, is completely lost on, well generally that whole department. Anyway, gently caress a job.

back burner drama is the worst. I recommend a nice glass of wine before bed :hchatter:

hang in there bud

Finger Prince

I made a strong cup of the coffee Derpies got me for Secret Santa and all was right with the world. Well, not actually right, but the kind of right that can only be found at the bottom of a good cup of coffee.
*grinds teeth* gently caress-a-fuckin-job, LET'S GO!!

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Finger Prince posted:

:asoiaf:

Complacency: a feeling of calm satisfaction with your own abilities or situation that prevents you from trying harder

Someone has built corporate process based on the expectation of complacency? This is crazy talk :wtc:

Finger Prince

NumptyScrub posted:

:asoiaf:

Complacency: a feeling of calm satisfaction with your own abilities or situation that prevents you from trying harder

Someone has built corporate process based on the expectation of complacency? This is crazy talk :wtc:

I think I meant norms, not complacency, I get them mixed up in my head because you can get complacent from norms, and I'm suffering from fatigue.

NumptyScrub

Ok yeah that makes slightly more sense in my head now, but still dumb af, I'm on your side there

DaChurl

So tired.
So bored.
So ready to go home.

Farecoal

There he go
Starting to think this "work" things sucks. What the gently caress

French Accent

expected to lose power from today's storm, but nope. i was prepared to have work cut from me so i can get ahead with my ever increasing book backlog

Areola Grande

Old Brenda, who sits one cube over from me, talks to herself all day long. She's old as the hills so i guess it's understandable. Thank yob I have headphones and can just block out her prattlings w/ podcasts all day. Anyway, here's the wild part: I just walked by her desk and caught her enjoying a piping hot taco bell breakfast. wtf...

tyvm Justa Dandelion and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande

i guess it just goes to show that ur never too old for firstmeal

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

i guess it just goes to show that ur never too old for fistmeal

FISTO MODO!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
MUDA DA ..

ZA TACO

cruft

does a knuckle sandwich count as fistmeal?

Areola Grande

:argh:

NumptyScrub

After a realtively chill start to the year, colleagues are once again trolling me (unintentionally I think) with meetings; euro peeps booking me for basic poo poo at 8am while US peeps are busy adding me to 8pm (my time) steering meetings

Luckily I WFH so I can at least steal a couple hours in the middle of the day for aimless dicking about on the internet when I need to relax

Also if anyone books me for anything after 8pm I am trashing on the call I don't give a gently caress :trashed:

Farecoal

There he go

NumptyScrub posted:

Also if anyone books me for anything I am trashing

:same:

NumptyScrub

Not easy to do when working in the office, but easy-peasy on zoom / your vc platform of choice :coal:

On a call right now, just on mute and going to go get a cold one lol

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
yesterday was all nodejs stuff on the googly cloud but today was all microsoft azure and i can't remember how it works. it's all stinky and bollocks and i do not like it. no sir

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

xcheopis

Today we are doing active shooter training. Next week will be de-escalation training.
This country needs a mental health intervention.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

xcheopis posted:

Today we are doing active shooter training. Next week will be de-escalation training.

let the record show: yikes

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

NumptyScrub

xcheopis posted:

all is not right with the world and anyone suggesting otherwise is full of poo poo

seriously all I can think of right now is :sever:

if your employer is suggesting your actual job role is to handle murderous customers, then that job is not even worth the time taken to parse the name get out get out right now make your boss deal with the murderhobos gently caress that noise

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
at least four people at work are decently armed at any given time so i guess that's our active shooter plan

i have a real shivvy pocket knife that can't cut poo poo and sometimes an endearing lil opinel grandpa knife that's actually kind of annoying to have to open and lock

eh, anyway as the resident lurch/bouncer i'm gonna get it first and have to watch the action on killcam before I respawn

xcheopis

NumptyScrub posted:

all is not right with the world and anyone suggesting otherwise is full of poo poo

seriously all I can think of right now is :sever:

if your employer is suggesting your actual job role is to handle murderous customers, then that job is not even worth the time taken to parse the name get out get out right now make your boss deal with the murderhobos gently caress that noise

People at work are at far higher risk of being killed by a coworker than a stranger.
And our work has a primary focus on hobos. It's been a very stressful two years for us and for our clients/patients, so having de-escalation training for those of us who aren't already certified for such work is useful.
But it shouldn't be necessary in any job or home or school.

xcheopis

Dr. Honked posted:

let the record show: yikes

And a 3-block area was shut down while a pipe bomb near the Federal building was being dealt with throughout the afternoon. It's been a "fun" day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub

xcheopis posted:

People at work are at far higher risk of being killed by a coworker than a stranger.
And our work has a primary focus on hobos. It's been a very stressful two years for us and for our clients/patients, so having de-escalation training for those of us who aren't already certified for such work is useful.
But it shouldn't be necessary in any job or home or school.

:eng99:

I am a limey so this does not hit the same way but honestly I do not even :psypop:

Please ensure you and yours are safe and that the literal minimum risks are taken, this should never be something required of an employee and it is negligence of the highest order if it is :ughh: