Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Boss wants me in as scheduled tomorrow to tidy up. With a broken collarbone. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khad

third time's the HRAAAAAAAAAAAAALF

Escape From Noise posted:

Boss wants me in as scheduled tomorrow to tidy up. With a broken collarbone. Cool.

Tell him to eat your butt.

Escape From Noise

Khad posted:

Tell him to eat your butt.

I'm going in but if they try and make me do anything that's going to strain me at all I'm walking

Escape From Noise

Okay. Situation isn't as bad as I initially thought. I won't be tidying up like they said.

Escape From Noise

Fuuuuuuuuuuck this jooooob!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I just spent half an hour crafting various iterations of a PDF because my boss didn't like the font.

I could have been doing so many things.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

my old boss used to only use comic sans and would send these angry all caps emails all the time. it was cool

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

"just send them samples"

They're in Cuba, I literally can't?

"Yes you can"

THEY'RE NOT GETTING MAIL YET BECAUSE OF THE PANDEMIC I LITERALLY CAN'T

Escape From Noise

Having to join seven different chat groups when you are hired to a new company is definitely a really good sign that things are run well and efficiently.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I think I'm probably ok at applying to jobs because i usually have a job but I feel like I'm really loving bad at it. I'm applying to some library jobs though which is something I've always been interested in and maybe I might like a break from teaching.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Escape From Noise

A few of my friends from college are working in libraries. It's apparently pretty competitive but I don't know the whole story

Escape From Noise

I sat down to sketch out a list of things that need to change in this brewery for the meeting this afternoon. There's a lot but the list took very little time because I've been thinking about it today. Also I really need to tackle like 2 or 3 of them today because I really need the owner to be able to focus on the point. We really need a deep clean. I want to toss and replace every gasket and hose that I can. After that are a lot more expensive and difficult changes so I don't want to get sidetracked

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm starting to legitimately fantasize about walking out the door directly into traffic, so I guess it's time to actually turn on my "get a different job" face.

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

I'm starting to legitimately fantasize about walking out the door directly into traffic, so I guess it's time to actually turn on my "get a different job" face.

I'm not quite there yet myself, but I'm still hoping this job is temporary.

We had a meeting yesterday and I was supposed to bring up issues I noticed. I only brought up about three major issues, these were things I felt required immediate change. They were basically changing our cleaning SOPs, replacing all of our gaskets and smaller hoses, and allowing for a full two weeks of fermentation instead of cutting things off after five days. The boss immediately agreed to it, which is good overall. The thing is that the current head brewer has been trying to get them to make these changes for the last three years, and the head brewer before him was as well and even quit over it after several years with the company.

The head brewer and I are cool, he's not mad at me or anything, but he's pretty irritated, understandably, about the fact that the boss wouldn't listen to him, then I walk in and say what he's been for three years and suddenly it's done. I'd be pretty annoyed too.

On the other hand, I asked what exactly my job was and the owner and manager went into a several minutes long explanation of everyone's responsibilities within the company, complete with chart, and didn't really answer the question.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I mean I can't blame him for being annoyed either. It blows to push hard for change and suddenly someone finally listens to the same thing you've been saying for years, out of someone else's mouth.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also, felt on not knowing what your job even is. I have sold more in two weeks, revenue and net profit wise, than what my company has made in five years. And my boss still stuff I don't know poo poo about poo poo, verbatim.

I run multiple businesses in my own when I'm not at my job. And I do well enough that I shouldn't have to have a job. I only have this one to please another person, and that other person holds my life in their hands in a lot of ways that I can't get into here. It's complex and it's unhappy. Someday I will not have to do that. I keep holding on to my life with the hope that someday exists.

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

I mean I can't blame him for being annoyed either. It blows to push hard for change and suddenly someone finally listens to the same thing you've been saying for years, out of someone else's mouth.

Oh, I absolutely get his frustration and anger. I didn't even propose anything that was cutting edge or anything, just super standard SOPs for the industry. I've only had a brief taste of what that was like and it was really frustrating for sure. I can't imagine that crap after 3 years. I'm just glad he's not mad at me because we do get along really well and he's a cool guy. I also went over with him what I was going to say so at least he wasn't blindsided. Either way, I feel for the guy. It's some loving bullshit for sure

Teddy Thunders posted:

Also, felt on not knowing what your job even is. I have sold more in two weeks, revenue and net profit wise, than what my company has made in five years. And my boss still stuff I don't know poo poo about poo poo, verbatim.

I run multiple businesses in my own when I'm not at my job. And I do well enough that I shouldn't have to have a job. I only have this one to please another person, and that other person holds my life in their hands in a lot of ways that I can't get into here. It's complex and it's unhappy. Someday I will not have to do that. I keep holding on to my life with the hope that someday exists.

Ooof I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your quest and my coworkers quest for a better gig work out! You both deserve it!

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Twenty Four

I'm not quite there yet myself, but I'm still hoping this job is temporary.

We had a meeting yesterday and I was supposed to bring up issues I noticed. I only brought up about three major issues, these were things I felt required immediate change. They were basically changing our cleaning SOPs, replacing all of our gaskets and smaller hoses, and allowing for a full two weeks of fermentation instead of cutting things off after five days. The boss immediately agreed to it, which is good overall. The thing is that the current head brewer has been trying to get them to make these changes for the last three years, and the head brewer before him was as well and even quit over it after several years with the company.

The head brewer and I are cool, he's not mad at me or anything, but he's pretty irritated, understandably, about the fact that the boss wouldn't listen to him, then I walk in and say what he's been for three years and suddenly it's done. I'd be pretty annoyed too.

On the other hand, I asked what exactly my job was and the owner and manager went into a several minutes long explanation of everyone's responsibilities within the company, complete with chart, and didn't really answer the question.

Teddy Thunders posted:

Being the "long term lifer person" at my work, to give perspective, I can understand him being annoyed that he was ignored, but I am willing to bet that annoyance is aimed at the management, not you.

And if it was me, after getting over the initial "why wouldn't you listen to me?" couple of days, I would be glad that at least the stuff that needed to be done finally got done.

You did well.

Escape From Noise

Yeah. We joked about it afterwards. Like, at least it got done, but it's just goofy. I'm basically a consultant I guess, meaning a get paid more than anyone else to state the obvious.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Take the paper until you find another gig. That's my current plan.

I got my book pitch in to the right people finally and now I gotta do the negotiation dance, and when that's finalized I'm quitting. I realize I won't get rich, and that was never the plan, but it's better than *gestures around* so.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm gonna try real hard this week to be better at work.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm gonna try real hard to survive this week and not tell my boss how sick I am so they don't fire me immediately.

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

Take the paper until you find another gig. That's my current plan.

I got my book pitch in to the right people finally and now I gotta do the negotiation dance, and when that's finalized I'm quitting. I realize I won't get rich, and that was never the plan, but it's better than *gestures around* so.

That's the plan. Good luck with your negotiations!

Escape From Noise

The owner apparently told the head brewer that we aren't selling nearly as much as the nearby brewery and we should think about that. Hm. Wonder why they're selling more? Possibly because they follow proper practices like cleaning and fermentation SOPs and package their beer in industry standard sanke kegs allowing for outside sales instead of using cornelius kegs? Or possibly that they focus on allowing for proper fermentation and lagering and bottle from the tank to make a superior product slowly increasing demand through word of mouth and building up a fan base for long term gains instead of rushing production and releasing a product full of off flavors caused by rushed fermentation and bottling from kegs causing problems with DO and carbonation levels for short term profits? Maybe that they regularly come out with new and relavent styles instead of every beer they make being based on one of two malt bills using one of two varieties of yeasts? Maybe it's because they focus on production through one system instead of hanging onto a tiny pub system and the tanks taking up space that could be used for a proper HLT and keg washer as well as at least three full sized 500 liter tanks, which would give us a net gain of at least 600 liters, 1100 if we could fit four while also standardizing production? :iiam:

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 3, 2021

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Just print that post and give it to your boss because honestly this is exactly what needs to be said.

Escape From Noise

I plan on bringing it up next meeting. I wanted to earlier but the cleaning and fermentation SOPs were so loving critical that I wanted to make sure my message didn't get bogged down in money squabbles.

Escape From Noise

Ass-penny

Pouring one out for my orbs with absolutely dreadful sounding employers. I quit a "real" job and ended up in the service industry again, but at least I have the first boss I feel like I can have an honest conversation with since 2007 or so.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

saaaame

Escape From Noise

I'm here "helping" brew, except I can barely do anything.

Escape From Noise

Jesus. I can't believe it's been less than a month.

Twenty Four

rear end-penny posted:

Pouring one out for my orbs with absolutely dreadful sounding employers. I quit a "real" job and ended up in the service industry again, but at least I have the first boss I feel like I can have an honest conversation with since 2007 or so.

I truly feel that working a poo poo job with a good boss and cool coworkers is, if not financially, at least mentally better then working a "good job" with a bunch of shitheads.

I think I have a bit of the worst from both worlds though depending on constant management and staff changes, and I stress over it way more then I probably should.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have the "good job" with the shitheads. The only cool person is the new warehouse guy and we're basically Best Friends now.

Escape From Noise

I like my coworkers but my boss is an rear end and I hate this place so much. It's just soul crushing. Good luck to everyone

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I might legitimately walk the hell out holy poo poo

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I straight up nailed a six million dollar sale in a month and my boss just said I don't have the chops to sell.

That's two plus years of revenue, with a 30% margin.

I'm done. I'll walk soon and I'm okay with that.

Ass-penny

Twenty Four posted:

I truly feel that working a poo poo job with a good boss and cool coworkers is, if not financially, at least mentally better then working a "good job" with a bunch of shitheads.

Oh yeah, I way agree

My bosses at the apartment maintenance gig weren't too bad. I mostly hated being on call, and the stupid non-emergency calls you would inevitably get when you're off the clock. Also- and I never really experienced this because I never accepted more than just the ground floor level of responsibility- but my immediate supervisor was complaining about his boss because the way they look at renovating units. S was like, "it's a great two bedroom or a tiny three bedroom" and the big boss would be like "MAKE IT THREE" without fail, I knew if I accepted a promotion and became the main guy in any buildings I would start to butt heads with them.

Twenty Four posted:

I think I have a bit of the worst from both worlds though depending on constant management and staff changes, and I stress over it way more then I probably should.

You've been at the same place for a long while right? How often does management get changed up? What is preventing you from looking for other employment?

Teddy Thunders posted:

I might legitimately walk the hell out holy poo poo

You should! Seriously half of your posts about your job make me :stare:

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Vernii

Teddy Thunders posted:

I straight up nailed a six million dollar sale in a month and my boss just said I don't have the chops to sell.

That's two plus years of revenue, with a 30% margin.

I'm done. I'll walk soon and I'm okay with that.

Sales is one of the hardest professions to recruit for and retain. He's an absolute moron to antagonize you like that.

If you're into looking for another sales job you could probably walk out and get a new job elsewhere within a couple weeks.

Vernii

at one of my old jobs the CEO lost both of the company's sales reps by deciding to shake up their strategy from emails and demos to focus on cold calling instead.

He also want to reduce their pay on top of that because cold calling was "less work" and therefore they should be paid less

One told him to go gently caress himself and was fired on the spot, then got hired to do the same thing for 3x the pay elsewhere. The other quarter-assed the job for a month, barely made any calls, then quit once he got an offer secured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I actually don't have a single desire in my body to sell, I'm just incredibly good at it. I have no ambition and the only reason I have a job is to satisfy my now estranged wife, because I run two separate businesses full time with a huge net profit (actual profit after expenses and taking out salary, not revenue) and actually enjoy my work when left to my own devices. Having a "real job," as she calls it, nets me zero benefits, I make an hourly poo poo wage, I'm berated constantly and it's cutting into my time that I could be spending volunteering or growing my own poo poo.