Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

Oh cool a byob thread for the working stiff.

Today one of my employees confessed that as soon as it became clear we were going to be forced to go into the office in July, they began looking for other jobs. I warned everybody this was going to happen.

Like they are retooling storage closets as offices when people are quitting because they want to keep working from home. The solution seems pretty obvious to me, but I guess there's more at play here than "obvious solutions that make a ton of sense", just like always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

DaChurl posted:

Yeah, luckily there are other handicap bathrooms so I get to claim this one specifically for pumping. Converting the space literally consisted of me reminding my boss about it on my first morning back, her saying "oh poo poo, I forgot to respond to your text about that, didn't I?", placing a reasonably comfortable chair in here and taping a piece of paper that says "PLEASE DO NOT USE!!!" to the door.
All things considered, it's not a bad setup. Washing the parts afterwards is super easy since the sink is right there. Definitely lost track of time reading in here several times already and nobody's noticed.

That sounds relaxing as hell, now I want to get pregnant.

No I don't want to hear about the other things involved in having a baby why do you ask.

cruft

xcheopis posted:

The worst of the data sets has finally been uploaded. It only took me half of one work day and most of today, god drat. It's not just their data, it's also that our database is very very creaky and gives hilarious error messages in the middle of a 45-minute upload process, such as "there are records in the import table without client ids" and then aborts the import and demands that I never try to import anything ever again, so I have close the demented thing and re-open it and start all over.

And the closest we have to "client ids" is that a lot of times the client's SSN is included but not always, so. What the gently caress.

Yes, we are using a Microsoft product how is that important?

Access strikes again!

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

It's funny to think how "when I say jump, you say how high" is used as a quote to show dominance and obedience. That seems like a pretty sweet power dynamic compared to "when I say jump, you jump, you don't ask questions, and it had better be high enough."

Lately in my job, it's more like "when I say rewrite this, you say how many times".

Because I'm now on the fourth iteration of the mission/vision, which has had 0 substantial changes, and we are just catering to the whims of management increasingly higher on the chain. For the last update, I just reverted to two revisions ago.

cruft

Would he let you take one tank and do your own thing there? It might be a way to show you know what you're doing, although he should have known that when he hired you and he just sounds like a bad boss.

cruft

Escape From Noise posted:

My boss is also now worried about yeast autolysis, which is off flavors from dead yeast. In order for this happen you need to shock yeast with sudden temperature changes, or let the yeast remain in the beer for a really long time. Like probably a year. That or really heat up packaged beer. He seems to think it happens really quickly, because he thinks the yeast that settles to the bottom of the tank is dead and not dormant, despite knowing it can be re-pitched into a fresh batch of beer. I'm pretty sure he's going to walk back plans for a longer fermentation period that I put forward.

I just don't understand this style of operating a small business. I want to hire people who are well-qualified to do a specific job, but then I'm going to ignore their advice and even enforce contradictory procedure... I mean, why did I hire this person? I could have hired a high school student for a lot less, and then I wouldn't have to fight them.

I'm sure this thought has crossed your mind too.

cruft

I seriously constantly wonder this. I'm also getting paid way more than anyone else because in his words I know a lot about beer. He tells everyone to listen to me, takes my advice at first, then decides to revert back to the original way a few days later.

I was apparently hired to improve issues, but how am I going to change anything without making any real changes? At least I got them to change tank cleaning SOPs. That poo poo before was awful.

Kinda sounds to me like you're a consultant.

cruft

Hi, I just got off a call with my boss and two people who work for me. Here's the lowdown:

• We must submit a 6-8 page request to continue working from home.
  • This must demonstrate how our working from home benefits the organization.
  • "I will be happier at my job" is not a valid benefit.
  • "I will be less stressed" is not a valid benefit.
  • "We've been doing this for 18 months and everyone, including our customers, agrees that it's been great" is not a valid benefit.
  • Upper management has pre-emptively denied requests to work from home full time: we can ask for 1-2 days, or 3-4 days a week.
  • There is a high probability that our requests will be denied.
  • At least one of my people is probably going to quit over this. I may lose the entire team.

So... yeah. I have no idea what pressures upper management is dealing with, but here in lower management, this is like the beginning of a slow-motion train wreck.

cruft

rear end-penny posted:

I'm always thankful to not have an office job, and now hearing stories like cruft's I'm even more thankful. I think I mentioned before there's talk about letting customers into my place of business again. I'm not about it. Even not having them in the store though, the vast majority of them when I bring food out to em or make deliveries aren't wearing masks, I suppose it wouldn't be a massive change. But we've really thrown rules about what we're allowed to listen to out the window and I don't want to have to think about lyrics hard enough to try and decide what is and isn't appropriate for the loving shambling monsters that shop here.

Customers are the loving worst.

See, here's the thing. Every job has some amount of bullshit that goes along with it, and on average, it's the same amount of bullshit. The difference is the type of bullshit. My job has a ton of bureaucracy, but generally they have their poo poo together about most things. The job I left to work here had almost no bureaucracy, but couldn't institutionally get its head out of its rear end, and I was far more subject to the petty whims of the idiots above me. When I was younger, I worked retail with awesome bosses but the customers were just absolutely horrid.

So you have to sort of what type of bullshit you're willing to put up with. When I was offered an adjunct professor job, I very quickly realized that I wouldn't be able to tolerate the parts of teaching that aren't teaching at all (parents, politicians, standardized tests) and turned it down.

This place I am now is just about the right type of bullshit for me to tolerate, but I think this WFH inflexibility is going to cause a lot of problems that could have been avoided. It was hard enough to hire people here, without having to say we're completely unwilling to entertain the option to work remotely. People in this field can make more money, and live wherever they want. Our benefits package is phenomenal, but try selling a 22-year-old on how great the retirement plan is.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Cruft I can have Wife Unit toss you to the Big Search Bois if you're interested. They're hiring SRE management like crazy.

Thanks, but I'm actually good, and don't really mind if I have to walk an extra 10 minutes a day into the office after walking my wife to work. Cruft jr. is driving herself places now, so the only real reason I'd need to stay home is for Ruby (our little dog). But my dad loves having her over now that mom's dead, and is sad when he's alone, so that problem pretty much solves itself.

My house is loads better than that dilapidated 1940s building I'll be going back to work in, but maybe I'll buy myself a couch or something, spruce it up.

I'm mostly concerned that everybody on my team is going to leave.

cruft

You do NOT want to mess with those soap people. They are not afraid to get dirty.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

It was an outside vendor trying to steal the business out from under us.

[another soap joke goes here]

cruft

Every time I see this thread, I think it says "Big Fort Boogaloo", and I'm disappointed that nobody's talking about big forts.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Someone stole my work bike.

To be fair, I stole the work bike first, but now I don't have a bike to ride in the parking lot.

It's a bike that was left in the woods and rusted all to poo poo.

Our dump always has this pile of bicycles. Only takes about 20m of picking through 'em to find enough to make a FrankenBike.

In Seattle, I think the police department had a gigantic lot of bicycles you could go through before they got hauled off to the dump and mangled. Must easier to get a working one.

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t know how freight/trucking companies keep existing because they are the least customer-oriented companies ever.

Ms cruft worked for a shipping company when I met her.

Right after we started dating, we were telling each other what we did at work. It went like this:

quote:

cruft: I'm a systems programmer, so mostly I keep servers up and identify repetitive tasks that can be automated, then automate them

ms cruft (pending): I'm doing administrative work for this freighting company to put myself through college, right now I'm going through hundreds of powerpoint files of shipping rate maps and multiplying everything by 2% with a pocket calculator, then editing those figures in the powerpoint

cruft: ... holy poo poo

This exchange might only be funny to people who program computers.

cruft

Zil posted:

Please tell me "powerpoint files" was a typo, please. I don't want to think of someone having to pull data from slides. :ohdear:

No, it was exactly the horror show you fear. The sort of thing I could have whipped out in 10 minutes with awk, and she was three 40-hour weeks into it when I met her.

cruft

xcheopis posted:

About five months before I started at the first place, one of the women in customer service (phone) had an actual nervous breakdown which I'm told was horrifying to see.

I had a nervous breakdown once when I was working as a barista in the mall. That's actually the moment I resolved to go back to college so I wouldn't have to work retail ever again.

I can't even imagine how much worse it would have been if the belligerent customers were entitled business jerks.

cruft

Going out to dinner with the roller derby team made it pretty clear who had never held a customer facing job in the past. It seems like the sort of thing everyone should experience, if for no other reason than to have an extremely trying emotional experience to draw upon for some loving compassion.

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

I think I'd rather have the military service.

This orb gets it.

cruft

Can we get back to poopin' on the clock or something, before I decide humanity just isn't worth my time and start taping aluminum foil to all the windows of the house

cruft

I recommend you make up translation and then do what everyone has always done to me when translating something from Japanese: launch into a 5 minute lesson about 800 years of history in order on explain the cultural context of a single word.

cruft

I bet hamjobs could translate it for you. Maybe into a slide deck.

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

Forgot about another fun aspect of office work, the loving savages that piss on the seat. Bonus points for not flushing.
And drink some loving water dude, that's loving gross.

Teach boys to pee sitting down, y'all. I'll go to the grave saying this.

cruft

I believe in you too, MN!

Even Santa Claus believes in you!

cruft

Achtane posted:

This old man keeps calling the cemetery at 2 or 3 or 5 in the morning, super fuckin angry that his family's headstone is set back-to-back with some other person's stone, like they all are. Everything is 100% exactly in the right place. Every single lawn is set up this way.

Apparently it's disrespectful and ridiculous and he paid a lot of money for those stones and he's gonna call the local news and sue the city and blow us up on social media. The messages start off mild and end in screaming that makes the phone mic distort. And he's not reachable when you call back.

Get a hobby, bro.

It's actually fairly common for people to call and complain that we moved their stones/graves/family lots/entire lawns since they last visited.

These same people participate in local politics, too.

It's why I only served one term on the transportation board.

cruft

I keep reading about EFN's insane boss, and I keep thinking "why don't you just", then I keep remembering that there are a whole lot of people in management positions who shouldn't be, and I am just so, so sorry anyone has to put up with this in order to have food and shelter.

Anyway I think you're doing the right thing, you gave this jerk every opportunity to not be an idiot, and he picked idiot each time.

cruft fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 12, 2021

cruft

Like I think some folks believe good management means yelling at people in order to get them in line. And that's a part of it, but it's such a miniscule part.

When I got moved into management, they actually sent me to "lower management" training, and what I got out of it was that good management involves a lot of listening and swinging your mighty hammer in order to clear obstacles that are preventing your people from doing their best. In the training it seemed clear that some folks thought the hammer was for their employees. I hope they got something out of it.

I wish I knew a way to get everybody to be kind. Ugh.

cruft

Hey, EFN, you go right ahead and blow off as much steam as you need to. I don't think it's un-BYOB to vent your spleen in the thread for complaining about work, if it helps you deal with stuff.

cruft

I just know I've been Going Off a lot lately. Woof. I also want everyone to feel like they can talk. It's not just my show!

Workers of the world, poonite!

Friend, I don't think you should worry about yobbers thinking they can't post.

cruft

Speaking of work, I'm tired of it. It the past, I would start looking at switching jobs now, but I like my current salary and benefits, and I don't think I'd enjoy working somewhere else more. It's working itself i dislike right now.

Currently researching becoming independently wealthy, which seems like it would solve a lot.

cruft

Boss has been super nicey since yesterday. Classic abusive bullshit.

Ooh are we doing classic abusive bullshit? I wanna play!

EFN maybe you need to look at what you're doing to set him off. I bet there's something you could improve on that wouldn't send him into these rages. You can do this!

How was that? :ohdear:

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

He's gonna poo poo his pants when everyone leaves and he still doesn't loving know how to brew beer and personally I think that's funny.

Same.

It sounds like he had assembled a team that could actually brew beer, but he was more interested in playing angry boss, and so his business is going to fail.

So, yes, a jerk is going to get what they deserve, and that's funny.

cruft

Achtane posted:

Today at work I dug up the remains of a baby that died 66 years ago, in order to send them to some cemetery in Kentucky. There was really nothing in the grave after so long, except for some flakes of what might have been bone or shell or rock and a tiny shred of cloth. The casket had disentegrated too.

Can't say I've ever done that at a job before.

Upside: I got to do it alongside a cute goth funeral director girl

One time, when my endocrinologist couldn't figure out what the hell was going on with my lymph nodes, I had to go get an AIDS test. I walked in to the testing clinic and like 8 people were in the lobby, shooting the poo poo and having a decent time with their co-workers, and then instantly everybody got up and politely left the lobby. It was weird, but I totally understood why that was standard routine there: like, people are coming in to find out if they're going to die young.

I imagine your line of work must be sort of similar?

I didn't have AIDS, incidentally, I was just allergic to my earrings :classiclol:

cruft

Achtane posted:

Hooray! Can you wear earrings made of different metal now or is it just too funky for your body?

The cemetery office is 100% a den of perversion and fart jokes when there are no strangers inside.

I think I played around with some gold hoops for a while, but eventually decided I wasn't actually inte jewelry. I don't even wear a wedding ring now, which turns out to be fairly common in this town for some reason.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

As a goth girlfriend who wanted to be a mortician at one point, you have the coolest job but also what, go ask her out.

I agree! Ask her out, then buy her an account in time for her to get a summer sig.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Tell your wife to ask her out instead. :colbert:

:hai:

Either way, though, buy her an account.

cruft

Buy her out and make a thread where we can all ask her account.

cruft

cruft posted:

Buy her out and make a thread where we can all ask her account.

I'm real tired y'all.

cruft

I've been trying for three weeks to make progress on this code i needed to push out three weeks ago, and poo poo keeps interrupting me.

I'm finding if I can't get 4 contiguous hours to focus, i poop out about 2 lines of code per day. The rest of my time is spent trying to remember what the hell I was doing, and re-learning the section I need to modify.

It's maddening, but I got a fair amount churned out before my daughter sent me a message telling me how to do her first day of petsitting because she has dance class and can't DO THE JOB SHE AGREED TO DO so now I have a new petsitting job instead of the one I'm getting paid for and we are going to have words.

I just want to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

I'm officially asking everyone ITT out.

Let's do this