Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

drat, sorry the new gig is such a poo poo show EFN. Ditto about your coworker TT, that's hella hosed that they can't just get the job done. I also have some pretty incompetent coworkers but it is kind of par for course considering it's the food industry. Twenty Four I wish you a speedy recovery and that your new management doesn't cut you on some bullshit. It's wild to me people stay at jobs that long. I think the longest I've worked anywhere is like two years, I always just end up livid at the boss or a coworker or something. Actually this current job is probably the first place I'm going to be at for more than two years.

I assure all of the unemployed goons here though that aside from the financial security, you are really not missing much.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

Unfortunately I cannot do my job from home so I have been doing pretty much the exact same things I was doing before the pandemic.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

Teddy Thunders posted:

I probably cooooouuuuld but I need to be able to physically see the warehouse because no one has ever done a loving inventory in SIXTEEN YEARS OF BUSINESS

I MIGHT DIE

:eyepop:

Ass-penny

Pouring one out for my orbs with absolutely dreadful sounding employers. I quit a "real" job and ended up in the service industry again, but at least I have the first boss I feel like I can have an honest conversation with since 2007 or so.

Ass-penny

Twenty Four posted:

I truly feel that working a poo poo job with a good boss and cool coworkers is, if not financially, at least mentally better then working a "good job" with a bunch of shitheads.

Oh yeah, I way agree

My bosses at the apartment maintenance gig weren't too bad. I mostly hated being on call, and the stupid non-emergency calls you would inevitably get when you're off the clock. Also- and I never really experienced this because I never accepted more than just the ground floor level of responsibility- but my immediate supervisor was complaining about his boss because the way they look at renovating units. S was like, "it's a great two bedroom or a tiny three bedroom" and the big boss would be like "MAKE IT THREE" without fail, I knew if I accepted a promotion and became the main guy in any buildings I would start to butt heads with them.

Twenty Four posted:

I think I have a bit of the worst from both worlds though depending on constant management and staff changes, and I stress over it way more then I probably should.

You've been at the same place for a long while right? How often does management get changed up? What is preventing you from looking for other employment?

Teddy Thunders posted:

I might legitimately walk the hell out holy poo poo

You should! Seriously half of your posts about your job make me :stare:

Ass-penny

:popeye: Twenty Four that is a lot of turnover! I don't know if I could function like that.

Escape From Noise posted:

Also I'm supposed to give three months notice

what before you quit this job where the boss sounds like a child pretending to run a brewery?

Ass-penny

Is your wife tied to the company you're working for? Or they just don't want you walking out without an actual job offer on the table? Either way, reading these posts is really helping put my work related problems into perspective. :glomp: I know you're strong enough to power through this.

Ass-penny

:popeye:
Well, for what it's worth, your drunk and high internet strangers are here for you.

Ass-penny

Fortunately no known pathogen can survive in beer. It's pretty gross though. He's getting the bottler deep cleaned/serviced at least. I just gotta keep going until I can find something else that isn't a total disaster.

Good luck looking, I know it sucks. But the stories you're posting about this gig... fuckin :yikeseroo:

Vernii posted:

Lmao he just moved offices without him or anyone else mentioning it. Was really confused to get an email from him 3 hours into the workday.

I'm glad to see this post, a good boss is hard to find, and losing them suddenly would be so weird.

xcheopis posted:

This is the dumbest finance team I have ever worked with and I'm counting the time I had to explain to an accountant at Stanford what a credit memo is and how you use one.
Just a really toxic and stupid group of people.

:glomp: Good luck friend.

Mormon Nailer posted:

Somebody tried to put in a web order eleven times over the weekend.

The payment connector we use between our processor and Magento failed somehow. Eleven times this person's card was charged--not just auth'd, but charged and settled--for over 4k a pop.

They big mad and I'm like "did you think to stop after one?"

I'm big mad because I can't figure out why the connector failed for only one customer and not the 2000+ others we had over the weekend.

That's hosed. Good luck finding and fixing the issue.

Work has been slow lately. Trying to find things to do while we wait for it to pick up, and in spite of this I still haven't had time to get any reading done on the clock (which is a rare but real perk). At least some of my coworkers have added interest to the shift by not understanding real basic poo poo about the job they've been doing for a fuckin year already. I really needed the laugh I got out of that.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

My job is to sell things to Big Ears Company and, since I'm on "vacation" nobody is answering Big Ears Company. I know this, because Big Ears Management has called me three times this morning asking why I haven't answered. I informed them before I left that I would be out of office for two days.

I loving called it.

Big Ears lil Brains.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

Cross posting for reference but the OP of the GBS "stop making GBS threads at work" thread has ABANDONED it and needs to be owned until they return to answer for their crimes.

Also finally checked out this thread, yeah the OP is either Bezos or Gates or some other colossal waste of carbon. Worst (and probable) case scenario: they are a class traitor.

Ass-penny

Have you tried putting your sweaty ballsack on your bosses face? It sounds like it could really help your situation.

:siren: putting your balls on your bosses face is not for everyone, please contact your doctor to see if putting your balls on your bosses face is right for you.

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

Hi, I just got off a call with my boss and two people who work for me. Here's the lowdown:

• We must submit a 6-8 page request to continue working from home.
  • This must demonstrate how our working from home benefits the organization.
  • "I will be happier at my job" is not a valid benefit.
  • "I will be less stressed" is not a valid benefit.
  • "We've been doing this for 18 months and everyone, including our customers, agrees that it's been great" is not a valid benefit.
  • Upper management has pre-emptively denied requests to work from home full time: we can ask for 1-2 days, or 3-4 days a week.
  • There is a high probability that our requests will be denied.
  • At least one of my people is probably going to quit over this. I may lose the entire team.

So... yeah. I have no idea what pressures upper management is dealing with, but here in lower management, this is like the beginning of a slow-motion train wreck.

:suicide:

Also :lol: at upper management dealing with pressure at all. I mean, I know they have responsibilities, but let's just talk about the list you posted.
  • 6-8 pages seems arbitrary AF. There's no reason you should have to write a request on par in length with my average undergrad paper.
  • They don't consider employee happiness/stress levels as relevant to being beneficial to the organisation? See how fuckin beneficial it is to have people fuckin quit on you over this.
  • If the customers have no issues with how things have been handled over the last 18 months what possible beef does upper management have with it? They really really want to see all your faces in the office, so they can micromanage your time?
  • Maybe they just really like paying rent to whoever owns your office space?
Best of luck, cruft.

I seriously constantly wonder this. I'm also getting paid way more than anyone else because in his words I know a lot about beer. He tells everyone to listen to me, takes my advice at first, then decides to revert back to the original way a few days later.

I was apparently hired to improve issues, but how am I going to change anything without making any real changes? At least I got them to change tank cleaning SOPs. That poo poo before was awful.

:suicide101:
It sucks, but good on you for getting your own PPE, poo poo is not a game.

I'm always thankful to not have an office job, and now hearing stories like cruft's I'm even more thankful. I think I mentioned before there's talk about letting customers into my place of business again. I'm not about it. Even not having them in the store though, the vast majority of them when I bring food out to em or make deliveries aren't wearing masks, I suppose it wouldn't be a massive change. But we've really thrown rules about what we're allowed to listen to out the window and I don't want to have to think about lyrics hard enough to try and decide what is and isn't appropriate for the loving shambling monsters that shop here.

Customers are the loving worst.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

I can never take a day off again because they somehow managed to almost lose Big Ears to a competitor in the two entire days I was away from work.

:popeye:

Ass-penny

Oh. They paid for the PPE. I just picked it up.

Even better then!

Ass-penny

my downfall is having a real low tolerance for bullshit. pretty much it's my ability to have a real conversation with my boss and a handful of coworkers who I like keeping me here.

e: :widowsnypa:

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

No like, for real, don't come in after I've done all the work and try to steal my account. That poo poo pisses me off. At least cut me in on the poo poo under the table.

They can't have done a very good job of stealing your account if they were ready to jump ship entirely on your company.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

It was an outside vendor trying to steal the business out from under us.

:bustem: well they sure chose the right time to try and snipe that from you. Guess they didn't know they were dealing with a real OG like you.

Ass-penny

This is how we're "deciding" if we let customers back in or not. As you might be able to tell, some of us don't take much anything seriously. Probably doesn't help that some of us are here five or six days a week and other people once a week. And that this board has only previously hosted nonsense questions that we all habitually turned into jokes.

Ass-penny

EFN have you tried :killing:

Really just sounds like the one guy who signs the paychecks that really needs the treatment.

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

Speaking of work, I'm tired of it. It the past, I would start looking at switching jobs now, but I like my current salary and benefits, and I don't think I'd enjoy working somewhere else more. It's working itself i dislike right now.

Currently researching becoming independently wealthy, which seems like it would solve a lot.

Every time I think about being independently wealthy and not working I think about Jean Ralphio from Parks and Rec.

quote:

I made my money the old fashioned way: I got run over by a Lexus!

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

He's gonna poo poo his pants when everyone leaves and he still doesn't loving know how to brew beer and personally I think that's funny.

:yossame:

Ass-penny

Achtane posted:

Today at work I dug up the remains of a baby that died 66 years ago, in order to send them to some cemetery in Kentucky. There was really nothing in the grave after so long, except for some flakes of what might have been bone or shell or rock and a tiny shred of cloth. The casket had disentegrated too.

Can't say I've ever done that at a job before.

Upside: I got to do it alongside a cute goth funeral director girl

If I'm going to dig up a baby grave, there had better be a cute goth funeral director there!

Ass-penny

I'm officially asking everyone ITT out.

Where are you going to take us EFN :biglips:

Ass-penny

okiedoke posted:

Didn't hear back about that other job yet, but the post is still being reviewed, so who knows. There's a forecasting position that's supposed to come up soon though. Job searching sucks and trying to climb a corporate ladder in my own company double sucks cause I have this dumb thing about speaking my mind and not always filtering. Good luck out there all you fellow workers.

I agree, looking for jobs is the w o r s t.

MN that is a tough spot to be in. I don't even know how to feel about that choice. Good luck friend!

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

I once heard urine is sterile, have you tried filtering beer through piss-soaked undies? I bet you could save a lot of money!

Lmfao

EFN I'm glad you're getting out of there, that poo poo sounds wild.
D
Today work was real busy especially with the crew we had, but there was only one pizza that didn't go home with a customer so it could have been a lot worse.

Ass-penny

How many hours a day? The worst I ever did was 2 months without a day off, would not recommend it.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

1 year, 9 months, 17 days straight without a single day off. 7 days a week, 18 hour days. When I was the AGM of a hotel.

:pusheen:

How are you still alive?

Ass-penny

I'm at work and it is dumb, ama.

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

Is work dumb?

The dumbest.

Ass-penny

I did today! Between my diet and alcoholism my bms are a bit irregular and I sometimes work pretty short shifts, so I can't always on the clock. today I got to do my duty though :snoop:

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

Her mom lost three dogs in five months last year. :(

:popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye:

how was that meeting relaxing? that sentence is a nightmare.

Ass-penny

well I'm glad you had a chill meeting, not too often I see that go down.

Ass-penny

Achtane posted:

This woman came in to bury her daughter, who was gunned down in front of her other, 6-year-old daughter.
I automatically said, "how ya doin?"
"I'm trying to hold it together."
Woof.

My years of retail customer interaction have cursed me.

:ohno:

Woof is right. On the plus side

cruft posted:

That could be seen as genuinely caring though. Maybe?

or she's too shocked from the event to really focus on your faux pas?

Ass-penny

Yeah it's Friday but I just had my two days off so I'm going to work in about 30 minutes here. I normally don't drive on Fridays but if I'm reading the picture I took of the schedule right I am driving tonight. I wish my car had AC, it's in the high 80s and humid as balls. I'm sick of fireworks. They are just so pointless.

Ass-penny

Achtane posted:

I have a Zoom interview tomorrow for the job I've basically been doing for 3 months already, but I'm still worried sick. Interviews are terrible.

Good luck!

EFN 'grats on the weight loss!

Ass-penny

There's nothing to do for real? Most companies I have worked at send people home instead of paying them when the cleaning list gets thin. I can't believe they would scold you to try and not get paid for hanging out trying to look busy.
I do understand that there's a wide berth of cultural differences but a small business saving money makes sense and I'm not good at being a capitalist.

Ass-penny

Pretend I'm empty quoting all y'all's work tragedies. Sounds like several of you have been done dirty. :pressf: for you.

Last night we had I think 8 or 9 orders in the last hour we were open. Two of em were in the last ten minutes.

If you absolutely need your food as late as possible please call ahead of time so the food can be made before everything gets cleaned, thanks.

Ass-penny

IGgy IGsen posted:

I hate all of my customers. I don't want to tell them though because I don't want them to feel bad.

I also don't want to get fired.

Hell, same. I keep a little extra hate in my heart for people who call very late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

I've been hoping I get fired recently.

Unsurprisingly there's a Chumbawamba song about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lB2GngItyU