Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The city's looking to hire a few new cemetery managers because the office is crazy understaffed, and I'm still technically just a groundskeeper but I asked about it and ended up in, like, I guess an internship of sorts. Training to be management. I have to wait like a month until I can apply.

It's sorta nerve wracking cause I feel like I keep making dumb little mistakes when measuring plots and graves and you have to meet with grieving families and that's always a little awkward, but I just keep telling myself it's not something I'm incapable of doing, I'm just worrying about it too much. I've only been doing it for 2 weeks, of course I'm gonna mess stuff up. But I've always felt like I should automatically know how to do stuff and loving anything up means I'm a dumbass. That's an impossible standard to meet though and it's a wack line of thought.

I do enjoy my job for the most part and I got extremely lucky to have an awesome boss. I don't think I'd be doing this if not for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
It should be mandatory that everyone put in a year of retail work.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Finger Prince posted:

What like some countries have mandatory military service?

Yeah, totally. Everyone should experience the fun of retail just once.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
This old man keeps calling the cemetery at 2 or 3 or 5 in the morning, super fuckin angry that his family's headstone is set back-to-back with some other person's stone, like they all are. Everything is 100% exactly in the right place. Every single lawn is set up this way.

Apparently it's disrespectful and ridiculous and he paid a lot of money for those stones and he's gonna call the local news and sue the city and blow us up on social media. The messages start off mild and end in screaming that makes the phone mic distort. And he's not reachable when you call back.

Get a hobby, bro.

It's actually fairly common for people to call and complain that we moved their stones/graves/family lots/entire lawns since they last visited.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
My dream is to F off into the blue ridge mountains and live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere and not work and just browse the internet all day

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Congrats on getting away from your hell job!

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Today at work I dug up the remains of a baby that died 66 years ago, in order to send them to some cemetery in Kentucky. There was really nothing in the grave after so long, except for some flakes of what might have been bone or shell or rock and a tiny shred of cloth. The casket had disentegrated too.

Can't say I've ever done that at a job before.

Upside: I got to do it alongside a cute goth funeral director girl

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Hooray! Can you wear earrings made of different metal now or is it just too funky for your body?

The cemetery office is 100% a den of perversion and fart jokes when there are no strangers inside.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

cruft posted:

I agree! Ask her out, then buy her an account in time for her to get a summer sig.

I think there are slight odds that my wife would approve, yet not enough to take that bet.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
So it seems that the city employees here who work any job not handling "city machinery" can get blazed as soon as 5 o clock rolls around, but anyone who might possibly touch a city car or golf cart or fuckin weed wacker are still subject to termination for failing a random drug test.

Extremely WACK, bros.
Yeah, good luck getting people hired to be groundskeepers in the parks and stuff for no money while also firing them at any time for smoking a legal weeds.

gently caress offfff

Sorry for the somewhat unBYOB sentiments.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
This woman came in to bury her daughter, who was gunned down in front of her other, 6-year-old daughter.
I automatically said, "how ya doin?"
"I'm trying to hold it together."
Woof.

My years of retail customer interaction have cursed me.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Yeah, I wasn't actually the one processing her stuff, so it was more in passing, but still. I definitely have to rethink the way I present stuff. I haven't had to do the whole relative walkthrough thing yet, so at least there's time to practice.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
IT'S FRIDAY EVERYONE

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Listenin to some darkwave
It's thunderin outside
Enterin dead people's info into some giant old-rear end books
Already dreading Monday before the weekend starts
Drinkin from my giant flowery grandma mug

Truly it is friday

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Finger Prince posted:

Monday here.

I'm so sorry.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I don't even really like fireworks anymore because I just worry about animals and people with PTSD. Earplugs are a must, always. And little CBD gummies for the doggies.

Hey check this out

Oof
I saw another one that listed "bay rum poisoning" as the cause of death. Apparently Bay Rum was some kind of old timey cologne/antiseptic/deodorant that was pretty much straight ethanol , and this dude must have tried to get hosed up on it during Prohibition or something.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I have a Zoom interview tomorrow for the job I've basically been doing for 3 months already, but I'm still worried sick. Interviews are terrible.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Select all - delete all

Hey I'm officially gonna be a cemetery manager in 2 weeks yay
My boss said, "welcome to hell"

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Thanks friends!

cruft posted:

Okay Achtane I have a professional question I've been meaning to ask you. Mom died in April and wanted me to handle everything, I guess because my take on things was about like hers. And my take is: she's a memory now, whatever.

Are future generations going to want to find a plaque or something? The local cemetery can fix me up for like $120 or something ridiculously cheap. Dad is way more emotional about all this and won't tell me what he wants, but maybe having a plaque will help him somehow? Give him a place to visit and someone to yell at later about moving it?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that, firstly. I'm of the same viewpoint on that stuff. Personally, you can throw me into the woods or whatever, it'll be fine. There are lots of alternative ways to celebrate a person's life, and for cremains there are all kinds of fancy things they can be made into.

Most families that come to us are interested in getting a headstone/plaque/marker. I guess it brings them some comfort to be able to come visit something definite, but it's absolutely a personal choice and not a requirement. There are a ton of unmarked graves all over the place. I just led a dude out to his wife's today. Even without a physical marker, the cemetery staff should be able to show you the person's resting place without much issue.

If the cemetery is quoting you $125 that is cheap for a stone installed. We're a city-run cemetery, so we don't actually sell or install anything besides the plots (and the cost of opening/closing the grave)...I can't really tell you what they actually cost cause I dunno. I'm sure it's not cheap. People here have to go through a monument company for that. We do pour the concrete foundations for them, and the smallest foundation possible is still nearly $300.

The funeral homes here supply a temporary marker for the decedent; it's a plate listing the person's basic info that either presses into the ground or sits up on a stake. By "temporary", count on it getting bent or straight blown up by the mowing crew eventually, or it will otherwise be grown over or disintegrated given enough time. They will sell you replacement ones at a crazy markup but it's literally a piece of sheet metal that costs $25 from the manufacturer. Same with the burial vaults/liners if that's used where you live. They're sold at an insane markup.

If you are interested in getting a stone, the only point I'll really stress is do not get one from Amazon or something like that. It's gonna be a piece of poo poo, it'll be a weird looking size, the inscription is gonna be janky, it's gonna break quickly and you won't get a refund. Like everything else, you can even get cheap Chinese headstones. Just make sure it's legit first. And make sure that if it's "aftermarket" it's something the cemetery will agree to have installed, because that's a whole other nightmare you're going to lose on.

So, get one if you think that it will bring some peace, but don't be pressured into getting one because it's not a requirement and there are no time constraints. Unless your cemetery is super weird I guess.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Hang in there EFN!
gently caress management!

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Uhggghhhh that's the worrrsssstttt

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
We met this super awesome tiny old Ukrainian lady to arrange a burial, and we had to use THE BIG BOSS's office for the paperwork, so my supervisor made sure to poop in his private bathroom while he was out.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Everyone hates that customer.
It's always like 10 minutes before closing and the flat top is cooled and cleaned, too.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got laid off one time when I worked at a factory and although it meant a money struggle I was extremely relieved and even giddy to be done with that hell hole

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
It's always real awkward being stuck in a work truck with someone trying to educate you about the dangers of islam and sharia law

Ugh

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
This lady called and she's gonna come schedule her nephew's burial and for some reason she mentioned to my boss what her hobby is...

Apparently she likes cats and when they die she TURNS THEIR COATS INTO PILLOW COVERS AND THATS WHAT HER HEAD WILL HE RESTING ON WHEN SHE'S BURIED AHHHHHHHHHHH

AND THEY'RE ALL BURIED IN HER BACK YARD
W H A T

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
In my head every Japanese business is incredibly efficient, with the expense of working the employees to death. So it's worse when it's not even well-run.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Someone fainted at a funeral so a firetruck and ambulance came out, so we drove over to check it out and on the way over we passed one of the equipment operators who's waiting for the funeral to end, and he's dancing to "Strokin" by Clarence Carter in the street while he waits next to his backhoe. It was awesome.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I still hear people talk about the bathroom thing fairly regularly. That's dumb. Quit being dumb, people.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
"Just curious" MY ASSSSS
gently caress OFFFFF

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm on coffee cup #3 and still feel half dead

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
What do you guys snack on at work? I've found since working mostly in an office, I get kinda snacky throughout the day.
I'm tired of, like, bananas and granola bars and junk food though

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
LOL at the multiple phone calls from irate and extremely dumb family members thinking both of these scenarios took place simultaneously:

A) We dug up their relative and moved them to another grave
B) We buried someone over their relative at the original grave

Neither of which happened but we're getting blown up on the answering machine by people who "don't wanna have to come up there!"

gently caress offfff

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
lmao

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got incredibly lucky to have an amazing boss but I know a few officials you could go toe to toe with

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

idiotsavant posted:

Lol oh nooooooooo. The very most important thing about making decent wine or beer is starting with reasoned intent, like you’ve actually thought for a little bit about what you want to do and why you want to do it, and “let’s make a blue beer!” Is definitely not part of that process. Good luck goon

"let's make a blue beer!" would be exactly the kind of poo poo I would wanna shout out at a meeting and get fired for, that owns. I see how it would create a stifling environment though, I hope it works out much better this time around

between the dad yesterday who came straight from the hospital to pick out a grave and had to pause and call the mom to confirm the spelling of the name, the other kid who got murder-suicided, the other kid who died from covid, funeral directors gettin mad cause we can't accommodate any more burials on particular days, and dumb old people leaving nasty voice messages, I'm real burned out this week, yob.

i just made an appointment to get a medical weeds card on sunday though so fuckyeahhhhh

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Escape From Noise posted:

I figured out how to sparge on this system without it taking too much time. So many valves! My feet!

I'm going to start a fund to make your boss disappear.

Give me a heads up and I know just the place...

Hey EFN, how many employees does your job have? Like, in general, is a brewery like that a smaller operation? I don't know anything about that world and it sounds like black magic/rocket surgery sometimes lol

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
being unemployed owns for that first week until the fear kicks in

Unless you have money saved up. Then it might be cool

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

mornin@work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I try to remain open-minded but I still lol when people complain in any way about working from home