Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

xcheopis posted:

I now have permission to periodically storm into her office and wave my chubby little hands about while swearing.

This is amazing and you absolutely have to ensure you make use of it

Like srsly if I got that permission from my boss about some of my pain points I would be alllll over that :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

Call your state labor board, leave them an anonymous tip. Trust.

Absolutely do this

lovely business practises only increase alongside size of company, someone is always looking for a way to save a buck so they can brown-nose for promotion / bonuses. I work for a multinational, I do not trust our people teams as far as I could throw them (I am not swole lol)

Edit: delaying paychecks by even a week can save the business money through various timing related shenanigans, it is highly unlikely at this point that it is just an isolated, unfortunate incident :negative:

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 20, 2021

NumptyScrub

I'm UK based so I get reasonable employment laws on my side, but I've still seen our UK people team tell outright lies to offboarding staff, to get them to relinquish / not pursue things that are their right under law (especially during redundancies / downsizing).

Call that labor board whippet box, and feel zero remorse when doing so because the company feels zero remorse at your financial situation

NumptyScrub

BRB just checking if we use TTEC in the US, because it sounds familiar :thunk:

Edit: looks like we used to, well I never

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 20, 2021

NumptyScrub

Areola Grande posted:

starting a new job today in order 2 post ITT

:haibrow:

Don't forget the monies, jobs are also for monies as well as posting ITT rights :haibrower:

NumptyScrub

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

My gtfo shoes are laced.

They pay me juuuuust enough for me to put up with the madness; in spite of it all we do really cool poo poo. Just makes me sad how much better we could be doing… everything.

Yeah you are basically already on fire based on that last list, time to get ahead of the curve on finding a new cool place to hang out and get paid :sweatdrop:

empty whippet box posted:

supposedly the ransomware attack has been resolved and isn't a problem anymore but we can't get into any of our systems, including our timekeeping system (kronos). this is such a fuckin trainwreck honestly. we're in week 4 of training and I'd say maybe 20-30 minutes of training per day happens and much of it is repeats, and some of it is redundant anyway since we don't even expect to use these systems. i was ok with clocking 8 hours a day of doing jack poo poo but posting while I thought I was getting paid for it, but the shitshowiness just seems to be escalating further and further.

If you need some backup on the cash front, I'm happy to referral you on the cash app and maybe slip a couple bucks your way. If this happens I will demand you post some chill stuff in the trashed thread as payment :colbert:

The reason I am saying this is it sounds to me (an IT guy) like they have stuffed their timekeeping app 6 ways to Sunday while fixing this ransomware thingy, and have no idea what to pay anyone any more. It may be some time before you get your owed accruance, happy to help an orb out 'till you get those greens :buddy:

NumptyScrub

I've gotten some help cashwise from a couple people which I am insanely thankful for! however, the referral thing is free so hey, why not. my internet bill is going to autodraft in a couple days and will nearly zero us out if I haven't gotten paid by then, but if I have gotten paid by then then it's fine. if it's getting to that point I'll be a-reachin' out. very thankful for the support itt.

the weird thing is that some people - only a few - got paid for the first week of training, but not the second week. something got extremely hosed up somewhere and I wish they'd just tell us what

Educated guess on what got extremely stuffed up: the timekeeping database :negative:

Cue entire departments scrabbling to try and rebuild employee work data based on available email transcriptions, informal manager spreadsheets, you name it.

No I don't work for your company, but it would not be the first time I've seen similar... :ughh:

NumptyScrub

Michael -

Everyone in my training group has repeatedly asked for an update about why we have not been paid and when we can expect it. We have received no communication whatsoever on these issues. We have been very patient regarding this matter.

I have had to borrow money to keep my bills current, but I have reached the limit of my ability to do this and soon will be facing late fees as a result of ttec’s failure to pay in a reasonable timeframe. Others in my training group are in much more dire situations. This amounts to an involuntary reduction of my wages due to ttec’s failure to pay on time, and may have effects on my credit score.

It goes without saying that this is unacceptable - whatever the issue is, we at least deserve to know why this is happening, and when it will be fixed. We have received no update of any kind. I have had to spend personal time on the phone with utilities and those I have regular bills with explaining the situation, during which I cannot tell them when I will have the money to pay my bills. I have no guarantee that I will even have my paycheck in time to pay my rent on time, which could have serious, life-changing consequences. I should not have to experience that kind of anxiety while I am working full time, through no fault of my own, without being told when I can expect resolution.

I have reviewed labor laws in Utah(where I am) and Colorado(where ttec is based) and according to these laws, paychecks are to be paid no later than 10 days after the end of the pay period. The 10th day after the end of the pay period was Monday the 20th, for the pay period ending on September 10th. For every subsequent day after this, the employer may be assessed a fine of 5% of the unpaid wages per day up to 100% of the unpaid wages, or 20 days. Half of this is to be paid to the state treasurer, and half to the employee. This is clearly stated in the statutes governing the payment of wages in both states.

I am sending you this email to document the above grievances and give ttec a chance to rectify this problem before I reach out to the departments of labor in Utah and Colorado as well as the federal agency. If you are not the appropriate person for this email, please either forward it to whoever is, or supply me with their email address so that I may send it to them myself.

Please respond with information about when I can expect to be paid in full.

Thank you.

Bitch

Hell yeah :respek:

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

I would absolutely not send them that, I would go straight to the labor board. gently caress em.

I know what you mean and that also works, but sometimes having a paper trail of cordial, non-abusive requests for information / reparation can help during future tribunals. At least here in ol' Blighty it can, I'll admit you are far more versed in US labour practises than I.

The important part is gettin' paid tho

NumptyScrub

they finally loving paid me a whole goddamn week late. my fuckin' internet and electricity would have been shut off if not for you gentlegoons, but joke's on them, I already have a new job starting on the 4th now as a result of all this that pays more and is with a better company. I am getting the gently caress out of here .... after I get another 40 hours of "training" while i wait for the new job to start anyway.

the new job is also because of a goon.

I really don't know wtf my life would be like without this place.

Walking out of a trainwreck like you just had with a better offer in your pocket is the best possible outcome IMO, also make sure you get that sweet labour board late fee action as well.

They screwed you over, screw them back :colbert:

NumptyScrub

Areola Grande posted:

I just got a job offer to work for 3M at $20.50 per hour :psyduck:

I never thought I'd make that much money in my life and I am hella loving excite :peanut:

Basically if a company agrees to pay you an amount, you can be certain that you are actually worth more than that amount

Understand that you absolutely are worth at least $20.50 an hour :hmmyes:

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also: lol someone at oracle took a massive poo poo in Netsuite's framework today and it was dumping data left and right, so that was fun. I am glad we can restore from redundant backups and we were able to retrieve the single customer that wasn't backed up, but fuuuuuuck Oracle.

My place has been using Oracle ERP for literal decades, and during that time we have always been at least 1 if not 5+ releases behind because upgrading immediately would basically break all our poo poo. We have a dedicated team of ERP devs whose sole job, as far as I can tell, is to fix Oracle's poo poo so we can upgrade without exploding

Not even gonna mention requiring JRE for clients to connect because that should have been fixed years ago. To be fair Oracle do have an alternative now but lol at how long my place is taking to migrate to it

The bigger the company, the dumber the decisions :negative:

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also at a place I used to be, we had a saying: "if it ain't broke, give oracle a single release cycle"

My favorite Oracle ERP moment was back in the day when Big Company used it and it poo poo itself and lost all employee and payroll data including pay scale information and *nobody had ever bothered to keep records outside of that*

Yeah Empty whippet box has firsthand experience of that kind of dumb, luckily there was a silver lining on that particular cloud :buddy:

I can only assume your Big Important Company Owner used to be at a larger place with Netsuite and they have no idea how to use another product; that's the usual culprit for tiny companies buying enterprise software, the (ex-large company) owner has no idea how to finance from scratch and just wants the magic buttons to do it for them like when they were Back At BigCo

NumptyScrub

At least it was way back when I used to do contract support for SME, I've been at my own BigCo for long enough now the whole landscpae may have changed lol

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

Hot take: gently caress a job

If I could get the monies without the stressies, I would nope the gently caress out so hard the universe might implode

Unfortunately I have been conned into Doing a Capitalism

NumptyScrub

Jobs: gently caress :negative:

NumptyScrub

My button business is the closest I've ever come to truly enjoying work. I really like making buttons and it's rad to get paid to make silly meme stuff that makes people laugh. Political buttons are cool and all but there is something actually fun about pressing a bunch of stupid bullshit that's just there to make someone laugh onto buttons or magnets and sending it to people. I see myself doing it basically forever because why wouldn't I? I only get a couple orders a week typically these days but even just that gives me good brain feels. I get to put stupid extras in peoples orders just to make them smile when they get it, even more than they hopefully were already going to.

If you could make a million bucks a year doing this it would be awesome

Except it wouldn't, because when you hit the bigtime it slowly stops being fun and turns into the same tedious chore that all jobs are at heart

Also one day you wake up and realise you've become Big Important Business Button Orb and you don't even recognise who you are any more

What I'm basically saying is keep this as a hobby, because you will always love a hobby, and buttons are cool :buddy:

Also: gently caress a job

NumptyScrub

Escape From Noise posted:

The mill arrived today. Looks like I'll have my first brew day tomorrow.

It's (being a) miller time!

NumptyScrub

cruft posted:

I'm running another conference at the end of the month. The person I report to decided it'd be fun to run an ENTIRELY SEPARATE EVENT at the SAME TIME.

This is incredibly stressful for me, i have to do a fuckton of development to get all these gears together in a way that isn't confusing to participants.

Just finished 4 hours of extra work today, just specifying the software I have to create, and listing out and organizing all the non-coding poo poo I have to do in the next 12 days in order to pull together my staff of 40. I feel a little better now that it's all listed out. I think I can do this...

May I respectfully remind you: gently caress a job

Also good luck geting that all tied together on time, please do not ruin yourself just to please a dumb boss

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm very close to pulling a Little Bobby Tables after changing my phone number, then disappearing.

Bobby Tables' mom is a personal hero of mine

Always sanitise inputs

NumptyScrub

Hello I am a new customer my company name is

quote:

Awesome Holdings Ltd.'); DROP TABLE OrderLines;--

May I have a quote for you product and/or service please?

NumptyScrub

xcheopis posted:

People are complaining about having to come back to the office and "wear a mask all the time because I'm in a cubicle" and I want to scream WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK I'VE BEEN DOING.

There are some people who care nothing about the discomfort of others, only the discomfort of themselves. I've found this to be an excellent barometer when trying to judge the worth of a person, myself

There often appears to be a high percentage of those people in C level positions as well, although correlation is of course not causation :iiam:

On an unrelated note I was up early this morning (Sat.) because of some server migrations that work needed me to do a thing on. gently caress a job :negative:

NumptyScrub

I'd be tempted to put it as a dual role on the resumé, if you are performing both duties that is basically what it is. Also the potential to talk it up during interviews from a flexibility or diligence angle

Definitely make sure your boss is aware that you are only good with it as a temp solution though, because I guarantee that if you just keep doing it they will let you, and they won't hire a replacement. Probably play up the "if I have to choose between my work and this other role I am obviously prioritising my work" since there has been no talk of title / comp changes based on the increased responsibility.

As far as the actual title goes, I have no idea what either means (other than being finance based), and to be honest titles are mutable, it is the actual work duties and related skill sets that are important.

NumptyScrub

IMO say it now to your boss, earlier the better, that you expect this to be temporary while they find a replacement, and that you'll be prioritising your own work first. Re-word as you see fit obvs (since I don't know your boss or what their triggers are) but the clearer you state your position, the less chance of them trying to fob it off on you permanently

If you can cope with the extra work and neither that or your own work suffer, they will absolutely fob this off on you permanently, to save costs on a replacement employee.

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also lol the internet is down and I just told them "oh I don't have enough data and can't tether."

Not your problem. If you are an essential employee they would already have sorted out an enterprise level connection for you at home, and 100 other things (like wifi hotspot) to ensure you can keep working. Assuming they have done literally nothing about that, they obviously do not believe you require 100% uptime

Unless the internet is actually down at your office in which case just fukken lol take the rest of the day off

NumptyScrub

Big sticker on the box(es) saying "Advisory: this product is not load bearing". Also actually say this out loud to people when they ask to buy some

Since the entire point of shelf brackets is that they are in fact load bearing, that should hopefully get the point across, and if people still want to purchase non-load bearing brackets then I guess you don't have a choice?

NumptyScrub

Maybe a "Maximum load: 1oz" sticker as well lol

NumptyScrub

Escape From Noise posted:

Work has been pretty weird lately. I started brewing like a month ago. I had two brew days in one week. And that was basically it. I haven't had any other brew days. I've just been sitting around doing nothing with four empty tanks. I think it's because this is a very corporate company? It's the first time in my life I've ever really worked a fairly corporate job. I think we're waiting on a bunch of different approvals or something. I don't know. I have to go to the restaurant manager for basically everything, but he's busy with a new restaurant opening/being a restaurant manager so communication can be tough.

Something like 2 weeks ago he asked me to write up a bunch of official recipe documents for the tax office so we could submit them by the end of the week. I did that and put the folder of them where I was pretty sure it'd come from. Last week a coworker asks if I'm leaving at 6 like usual, and I say I may leave earlier since I don't really have anything to do. The lower manager sorta guy hears me and is like "You can't leave early. The manager wants you to get those recipes done so I can go over them to submit them." I was sorta confused and pulled them out and the manager saw me get them and was like "Oh! That's where they were!" He's been a little snippy lately and suddenly was relaxed looking. I dunno. It's weird. I guess he was mad because he thought I wasn't doing the job he asked me and was stewing about it. If he'd have just asked I could have handed it all over to him. I thought I told him I got them done but I may not have because he does forget a lot of things I tell him/ask him for, but I could also see me getting done, going to tell him, seeing him in the middle of banging out a bunch of orders in the kitchen and thinking "I'll tell him later". So while he cold improve communication I should have sent an e-mail or something probably. I dunno. I'm not used to this sorta corporate structure. At least now they don't really care if I show up for a full shift and I'm still getting paid so hey!

Ok this is like the second time this manager has been secretly stewing over something they thought you hadn't delivered right? Sounds like you need to step up your notification game and ensure they are notified at least 2 separate ways you have now Done The Thing. I'm terrible at this as well, not trying to throw shade just saying that I found this to be an effective option in a similar situation (especially when I am world class at forgetting to hit Send on emails). If you get a face to face, see if you can bring the communication thing up and (tactfully) ask what their channel preferences are (email, instant messages, SMS, whatever the hell), so you can ensure they are kept up to date with progress on deliverables.

NGL I once had to phone someone on their personal cell, because the previous emails and IMs were apparently ignored and they still thought I had not Done The Thing, to confirm it was actually done and talk them through getting to it :ughh:

The worst part is that I am also the perenially busy doofus myself, so I also resemble that remark lol

NumptyScrub

Also one thing to consider is that they chose to stew quietly, instead of just asking you about it when it became relevant. Could be benign, but sounds to me like you are going to have to take the initiative regarding talking through things. :shrug:

NumptyScrub

I moved from a small local place to a multinational around the turn of the century, and oh my word the extra beaurocracy is intense

Budgets are better, if you have a good plan then you can get the right tools for the job, but only if you are prepared to drown in all the red tape

Also everyone is convinced that everyone else is responsible for starting the conversation :negative:

Survival involves ensuring you know what your deliverables are, delivering them, and making sure all stakeholders know that you have delivered. Take care of those 3 and the rest will sort itself out

In your situation, I'd be thinking of getting a brewing schedule nailed down (even if the next batch is still weeks away because beaurocracy, this is likely your main deliverable), start the process to acquire any kit you are still missing, and start documenting the cool recipes you have percolating. Obvs change this up to suit your actual situation because I know nothing about japanese breweries I'm just guessing here :sweatdrop:

Also regarding having nothing to do: as long as you are delivering what you need to they don't care. Use the time to reassess process, innovate new recipes, re-architect the production loop, anything that helps you deliver what you need to better / faster / more efficiently

NumptyScrub

Yeah the actual brewing process itself you are the expert, but from a generic batch process perspective, time outside of the main batch is time available to improve for the next batch. If they agree a schedule that gives you a week between brewing batches, you get a week to iterate and improve for the next one (including updating / upgrading equipment). If you have input on the schedule (and you should, as the in-house expert) make sure you build that downtime in, because there will always be things you need to maintain / replace as they wear out

NumptyScrub

Ok gonna show my ignorance here, but if the process itself is 3+weeks maybe try for a couple weeks downtime between, or have a schedule where you get 2+ weeks downtime every X batches.

At some point you are gonna want to replace or add something that weighs a few tonnes, and that is not a 5 hour job lol

NumptyScrub

Lol I am a computer toucher myself, but some of the stuff I deliver is done as scheduled batches so I guess it feels familiar. We do the same where after the end of a run we look for improvements, and design and implement them ready for the next run. As long as you have the time in the schedule where you can review and improve processes you should be good.

And the other part where it's corporate, well as I mentioned before, know what you are supposed to deliver and work to deliver it, and the rest is just pointless red tape bullpoop that you'll eventually get the hang of. I feel your pain of it taking a month to get something ordered you can literally buy at a local store, this is endemic and not limited to just your workplace :negative:

"Hey we want to use tool X and it'll cost $Y per seat, I can order it online and have it downloaded in 5 minutes"
"Nope go through the proper ordering channels"
3 weeks later...

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 4, 2021

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

I closed $3.61m today. $15.913m for the week.

gently caress a job.

If you are not paid at least 10% commission then it is loving criminal and you should GTFO while laughing and flipping the bird

Not even kidding

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 6, 2021

NumptyScrub

Remember: once work is done, it is entirely acceptable for it to be EWB time

With the good stuff on tap :colbert:

NumptyScrub

I like my team and I enjoy the job itself, but the work never loving ends and oh my orb I get so tired sometimes

Hamjobs how do we send you virtual hugs because I realise I am still sitting pretty compared to some of your stories :glomp:

NumptyScrub

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

wow, inspiring list, mind if i add to it?

• beer for/with most meals

How do I made toilet wine? :thunk:

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

My boss just called me panicked and left a voice mail telling me his computer died.

I guarantee he unplugged it again. But, it could really be dead. It's fifteen loving years old and he won't let me upgrade it.

Wow what is he so panicked about that it has to remain inviolate? Tell him to use his phone instead because it is the better computer. My current phone is literally better spec in every way than my $2000 gaming rig from 15 years ago lol

Also that is legit an option, the CEO of my place does not use a laptop and works exclusively from tablet and phone.

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

He literally has to use a dumb phone because he is bad at computer

Oh holy lol I thought you mean "this stupid phone" initially and just twigged you actually meant non-smart aka feature phone

I think he might actually be too dumb to boss as well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

...so anyway I'm here until literally January 31st by the powers of dragging out my bonus since I'm also sales.

Oh my gods.

Born to vend
Job is a gently caress
Sell 'em all 1989
I am trash orb
420,069,069,420 SMOKED WEEDS