Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Only on Switch, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The game now works in America if you set your time forward on the Switch (playing in Alaska rn)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My time is set to regular and it’s working for me in central time.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Huh it wouldn't let me use it at 8:01 for me, maybe it was just a minute late

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait

Is the victim in the first case seriously motherfucking John Watson???

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m being floored by the name Auchi. A+ work guys.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Can someone confirm if the steam version has the option for Japanese text? The steam page says English only for text and voice, but that might just be a mistake.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m being floored by the name Auchi. A+ work guys.

That’s actually the Payne family name in the original Japanese! And Winston’s first name supposedly came from Shu’s dentist

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh my god this is straight out of the Awkward Zombie comic with the bellboy

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

That’s actually the Payne family name in the original Japanese! And Winston’s first name supposedly came from Shu’s dentist

Oh my god it was such a perfect English pun I thought it was from the localization. That’s amazing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

have any reviews mentioned anything about differences between platforms? i can't imagine theres much considering its a glorified vn but still

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Look Sharp! posted:

Can someone confirm if the steam version has the option for Japanese text? The steam page says English only for text and voice, but that might just be a mistake.

Not seeing it, so unless they hid it really well (or maybe based it on your system language, which is always fun to need to workaround...) that might be accurate. Not sure why they'd do that when the console versions are fully switchable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's full chapter select available from the start (at least on Steam). Very convenient if you've already played the incomplete fan translation.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Are Steam achievements bugged?

EDIT: Nevermind, just got one.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 27, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TIL that Asia launch is the 29th, even on Steam. drat you, regional release dates. See you all in 2 days I guess.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
okay so I played the first three Phoenix Wright games many years ago (actually I think I never finished 3) and I don't really remember most of the details - I assume I will get more out of these new ones if I replay them first? How about the other games, should I do those too?

in fact, would anyone be so kind as to give me a suggested play order? I would google this but it seems that 90% of online content these days is people writing low-content pop culture articles that spoil new things right in the headline

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lamont posted:

okay so I played the first three Phoenix Wright games many years ago (actually I think I never finished 3) and I don't really remember most of the details - I assume I will get more out of these new ones if I replay them first? How about the other games, should I do those too?

in fact, would anyone be so kind as to give me a suggested play order? I would google this but it seems that 90% of online content these days is people writing low-content pop culture articles that spoil new things right in the headline

These new games take place 100+ years ago so you don't NEED any other knowledge to play them.

However if you wanna play the whole series you're probably best served just going in order. So the original trilogy, then the Apollo trilogy. Slot in the Edgeworth games between them if you like, or do them later (the second Edgeworth game is only available via fan translation). And then these two newest ones.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd just jump straight into these tbh. 4, 5 and 6 aren't so good that they're essential the way the original trilogy was and if you decide you like the new ones enough to want more you can always play them after. They'll probably get their own collection in a year or two anyway.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Thanks folks - I think I will play them in release order as I remember having a lot of fun with the originals and I'd love to finally finish 3.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Case 2 start lol Ryunosuke's shaping up to be even unluckier than Maya

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Still in the first case, really loving the evolution of Ryunosuke's desk slam. He's got the nervous one where he doesn't even seem to know what he's doing and gets overly focused on his hands, the more eager one, and the really confident one where he just slams his palms down flat like Phoenix. It's really cool.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I haven’t purchased the game yet (gotta wait until later today!) but I just wanted to confirm something - I can start with the second game, right? It’s not something I have to unlock by completing the first? I figure it’s unlikely that I wouldn’t be able to, but I wanted to check just in case.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah you can

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you can start with any episode in the game, even. you don't need to unlock anything, if you go into a bonus menu with stuff pertaining to later in the games (like art or music) it'll go "uh you should probably play the game before you look at this"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The resolution scaling on PC is... bad but I kind of expected that of a 3DS port. Excited to strap into this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it looks fine, but I'm excited about AA7 being built from the ground up for HD.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Case 2:
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1420075864402788354
replaying this game is great, i'd totally forgotten about all these little gags. this one is incredible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

G1-1 Auchi is simping so drat hard

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

John H. Wilson. It's not even a fun change like Herlock Sholmes, translation sucks, 0/100.

(:derp: grandpa's game got translated how did this miracle happen :derp: )

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Fedule pointed out that the Watson analogue in House MD is called Wilson, so they may have taken it from there. Which, if so, good job!

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
Am I going to spoil myself on the two 3DS ace attorneys if I jump into these? I only played AA1-3 and AJ, haven’t gotten around to the other two main titles yet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Literally no connection.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jeep posted:

Am I going to spoil myself on the two 3DS ace attorneys if I jump into these? I only played AA1-3 and AJ, haven’t gotten around to the other two main titles yet

Unless they introduce genuine time travel into the series I cannot imagine how that would happen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jeep posted:

I'm pretty sure they are self contained stories, but I'm just starting my playthrough so I could be wrong.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
Stoked, thanks all

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Takumi wasn't involved with AA5/6 so it's not really even possible for them to be meaningfully linked.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GAA only came about because while Takumi was working on Layton vs, the B-team did AA5 and went off in their own direction with it, so when Takumi was free, he couldn't really come back into AA6, so Capcom was like "You can have your own one to work on"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffleman_ posted:

GAA only came about because while Takumi was working on Layton vs, the B-team did AA5 and went off in their own direction with it, so when Takumi was free, he couldn't really come back into AA6, so Capcom was like "You can have your own one to work on"

Speaking of which, looking at Wikipedia this seems to be the biggest gap between Takumi-led projects releasing since the series started (if you count the work he did on Apollo Justice). Apparently he wrote a quest on the mobile Monster Hunter game recently but that's the only thing in the last four years. Do we know if he's working on anything?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The only thing we know that he could potentially be working on is AA7, since last year's leak said it was in development. Spirit of Justice was very much the end of Apollo's "trilogy," and AA7 having a fresh start would be a good opportunity for Takumi and his A-team to get back onto the flagship games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In the announcement video for Chronicles he was listed as series director again, so I'd say it's likely that he's been working on something, with the delay due to additional factors like planning for a new chapter for the series, the first ground-up HD game, and accounting for the creation and release of Chronicles, considering that it's effectively a new game for much of the audience.