Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
This non-game is so drat good. I really wish more people had played it, you can really feel the passion of the creator, and I really want him to make more non-games. I appreciate the subtitle format, I think almost all of the playthroughs I have seen of this non-game are obnoxious streamers desperate to talk over everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Since people have been sharing how they've been introduced to this non-game, I might as well share mine as well.

Every once in a while I check the YouTube channel of VTuber, electric monster and tea kettle Pikamee, because while she primarily streams in Japanese, which I cannot understand, every once in a while she does an English stream. And one of those streams was indeed of There Is No Game.

So I start watching it, and I think I got to the brick breaker section at most before I had to stop the video and just get the non-game for myself. It's very rare that I get grabbed by something so hard, but There Is No Game did it.

And it absolutely knocked it out of the park, too. Front to back a marvelous experience, and I knew the moment I finished it I had to LP it some day.

If I get some people to buy and play the non-game for themselves, this LP will have served its purpose.

For me, it was a Markiplier YouTube video. I got to a similar point in the non-game, and realized I would rather play it myself, and I am really glad I did. There is just something so special about this thing when you are not up playing it yourself, rather than watching someone else. I think your LP method is the best, and I didn't know how many things are said when you take too long with some of the puzzles.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, this section. I think this is the part of the non-game I found most frustrating. I wish the did more with the mechanics they introduced in this chapter, and I overall found these puzzles more frustrating than the ones in the other chapters, for whatever reason. Still good, just a little rough.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

TheMcD posted:

New video!

Time for another new dimension! Will this one finally be the one we've been looking for?

By the way - you're not ready for this chapter. I promise.

This is where the non-game goes from good to amazing. This and everything after this is really great.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Whybird posted:

There does seem to be a pretty depressing mechanism at play where if you want to have a hope of selling a game, you have to make everything obvious enough that the stupidest streamer out of all the ones who might be showing your game off won't miss it even while they're distracted by the need to engage with their audience.

The game can still be pretty obtuse in a few places. Several puzzles in the Sherlock Holmes section have some real adventure game logic going on that can be hard to figure out, I was stuck on the puzzle in the Zelda section about freezing the lake because it never crossed my mind to commit murder with the pick axe. Now that it is over, my only real complaint with there is no game is the length. It feels very short, and I just wanted more once I finished. Still a fantastic experience, I found it a lot more enjoyable than a lot of AAA titles or other Indies.