Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I like to think that the love for the Confederates is what we see because we are mostly seeing the military point of view, not what the average citizen feels. That and how the people sent to the Koprulu Sector are the intergalactic versions of penal ships going to Australia so on average not shining beacons of morality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that's not too far off of reality :v:

An easy way to solve problems of people that you find troublesome is to come up with trumped up charges to have them transported to the other side of the world/galaxy

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

braybray posted:

As a child, the Wilhem Scream that plays whenever you select the Academy made me hate playing as Terran.

It's the Howie Scream actually, which is the video game equivalent of the Wilhelm (it turns up in video games as frequently as the Wilhelm does in films, I mean)

I have to say it is hard to wrap my head around vanilla StarCraft after playing (and watching tournaments) Brood War for so long. As pointed out before the Firebat is kind of a stinker when compared to mass Marine since with the range upgrade the Marine is quite capable of dealing with mass Zerglings

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That was all the drawings in the manuals up to Diablo 2. The Diablo and Warcraft manuals were chock full of Metzen radness*

*radness will vary

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

JohnKilltrane posted:

Oh, whoops, I didn't mean to complain about the difficulty. It's technically still in the "tutorial-ish" run of missions so I agree that it's entirely appropriate. It being easy is just something that gets me because I thought it was just so drat difficult as a kid haha.

yeah when I first played this I was in a panic for the final 5 minutes. though to be fair, I didn't understand simple mechanics like "build more than the starting amount of SCVs" until around when SC2 came out soooooo yeah :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

videos can be good, but I think that's more for showing off quirky things in a level like how god mode can break scripts, or speedrun tricks that can turn an hour long basebuilding mission into a 30 second mad dash to the objective

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well it would appear the Sons of Korhal isn't a complete sausage fest, that's a plus compared to the Confederacy right?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

YaketySass posted:

OG Kerrigan also looked distinctly gaunter, I legit thought she was supposed to be years older than Raynor:

OG Kerrigan has seen some poo poo

I mean, in canon she has done some pretty terrible things by the time we meet her on Antiga, for all the people complaining about the Diablo 2 remake artwork making the classes look weary and battleworn, the original portrait of Kerrigan is probably more accurate to the life someone like her has lived compared to the SC2 and SCR portraits

Also looking at the two Raynor portraits I am getting serious Sam Worthington vibes, maybe someone on the art team was a huge Avatar fan

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

eh, save map clearing for missions where there are interesting things that happen. If it's not necessary to complete the mission then save your sanity (for the maps where it IS required)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure the next unit we're getting will throw a wrench into that line of reasoning.

Goliaths aside, I've always seen the divide for the unit voices as a difference between Army and Air Force (from a layman's perspective). The army is where you go if you don't have a lot of technical skills but have guts and don't mind dying, air force is where you go if you're smart.

However I think it is also easy to look at it as technical skills meaning you aren't some backwater hick, so the Goliath pilots sound more professional because piloting a 'mech is a lot more complicated than piloting a conventional vehicle, which would also take the wrench out of the explanation for the upcoming unit too :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I definitely did not know about multiple attacks for some of these units and now my confusion and frustration with numbers not adding up has been taken care of, somewhat

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

forgetting the most important part, you can't play non-reforged Warcraft 3 online anymore, but if you do have CDs or old patch installations you can have some good LAN parties

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I pretty much devoured the lore in the manual, which basically tells you straight out the origins and starting motives of all three sides. So playing through the campaign and following the story entailed lots of dramatic irony. Reading this analysis, I kinda wish that I hadn't because playing along and being as in the dark about the Zerg and Protoss, figuring things out along with the characters, seems fun.

my first experiences with Starcraft was at a cousin's house and then borrowing it to play through myself but I didn't look at the manual until almost a decade later so reading through all the backstory (and for some reason not connecting the dots from later campaign revelations) made me realise I had gotten a bunch of things wrong

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

In a straight close-range slugging match, the Yamato probably would have sunk the Iowa. But the Iowa was much faster and had far more accurate and long-ranged guns, and was particularly well suited to night engagements. Being able to win a final destination match means nothing if your opponent has no reason to fight such a match and can destroy you probably with remarkable ease on their own terms and you have no ability to force them into your kind of engagement.

The exact scenario that makes the Axis fleets viable in Navy Field :v: when all you're doing is a slugfest, sometimes the one with the bigger gun is a better choice

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm all for a bio ball

witness the exterminators

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

With all the talk of competitive play, is there a good place or set of videos people would suggest for watching entertaining to a very non-pro player competitive Starcraft 1 matches? Thanks

you're in luck! StarCraft casting is actually pretty popular these days so there are quite a few channels on youtube specifically for SCR (or maybe it seems that way because I'm subscribed to 3 of them)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo2fPnM8EiQxwqKvAnVtue6K4pt82Pudp this playlist is the english casting for every season of the Afreeca Star League (ASL) tournament that started up almost 5 years ago now, casting is primarily done by Artosis and Tasteless (though some times by others)

generally speaking Brood War casting only became popular after Remastered came out and the ASL tournaments were getting a lot of traction so most of the big channels on youtube only came into existence within the last 3 or 4 years and a lot of the casters just transitioned away from SC2

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkbs-ojM-c_SXsarGvYErcw this channel has a rotating roster of casters so the quality of varies but Nyoken and Scan are the main casters and they are very good at explaining what is happening and the whys.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf0ynO5nqkPq_7Xn-973d2w this is a youtube mirror for Artosis' twitch streams, specifically his casting streams, not his playing streams. Sometimes he teams up with his pal Tasteless.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mycelphsaf I don't know a lot about SaiyanSC in terms of his liquipedia page or anything but he's a good caster, he knows his poo poo and doesn't play up drama or anything. Only real downside is that he doesn't chop up his videos into individual games like most of the other big SCR casters do but that makes a bit of sense as most of his videos are tournaments, which vary from 1-and-dones to best-of-7

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB73iJpB6hhq99IOM4aqX_Q Falcon Paladin mostly just does replays so I would say if you want to watch games from anywhere in the world, and from different eras of BW's life, I would recommend his channel. He doesn't cast tournaments and only very recently has gotten into casting replays from them, usually specific games that are "epic" or otherwise stand out in a series. Definitely the most casual channel of all the ones listed here so if you want someone who is just having fun watching BW being played by anyone then I would definitely recommend him (seriously, his videos range from wood league scrubs duking it out, to stuff from when Jaedong and Bisu were fresh players and not old masters). Only thing I would say here is that as he's more of a casual caster he isn't as technical when explaining strategies and metas as the other channels listed but that could be seen as a huge plus.

Anyway, that's a good primer for getting into casts specifically for StarCraft 1, on twitch there is a shitload more but I don't actively watch twitch these days so I don't have any channels from there to link but it is also where a lot of the current and past pros stream so if you want to watch and listen to them live that is also an option

edit: oh drat I completely forgot about this one https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgmCLtUkEutKY8IlwyVCUFoRtgQe3LCf1
this was a series Day9 did after Remastered came out and is the best place to go if you want to specifically have stuff broken down for the purposes of learning strategies and metas and just generally figure out how to play Starcraft outside of the campaigns

Aces High fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 22, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

JohnKilltrane posted:

Mechanicspost: Pathfinding 101, or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Jank

Second, it impacts how every unit controls. Starcraft gets compared to chess a lot, but that’s not just Starcraft fans being pretentious (well, okay, I’m sure some of it is). It’s because Starcraft is a game where, due to the way pathfinding was implemented, every piece has different rules about how it can move. Vultures, Marines, and Goliaths all move and control very differently, which means that not only is there a lot more variety between each unit than you’d initially suspect, but as I’ve mentioned before it also allows for a sort of specialization where certain players are particularly good with certain units because they’ve devoted more time to mastering that unit’s pathfinding quirks.

chess certainly makes more sense as a comparison, I see lots of people say that Starcraft is a rock, paper, scissors sort of game but I've never felt that way. This isn't a Fire Emblem game, where if you send an axe user to attack a sword you're gonna lose, this is a game where units and abilities have been designed to "counter" other units and abilities but actually being able to do that requires more than just sending Firebats in to kills Zerglings

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Decoy Badger posted:

Pfft, you're not a real Brood War fan until you have a dedicated keyboard with half the keys excised because the stupid 1998 hotkey layout will make you lose with a single mispress.

Oh so THAT'S why some streamers have wonky keyboards

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

cloning is also used for workers mining, correct? iirc workers don't distribute to different mineral nodes if you select a bunch and order them to gather from the same node, they will all bunch up and wait their turn, severely slowing down mining time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah Mengsk's speech is great and it sticks with you. I do not understand the intro cutscene for the game whatsoever (there's some other cutscenes in later campaigns that also make zero sense to me even 2 decades later) but this one kind of defines the series for me. Large part goes to the VA, he sells every line read across the series

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, it might be a desire to keep the magistrate anonymous to keep the “you, the player are the main character” factor, but honestly a character who saves the day then randomly fucks off just goes beyond the suspension of disbelief here. Once they opened the door by declaring Artanis a former PC, it was inevitable people would try to do the same for the Terrans, and Horner just fits too well as a choice.

It's even sillier considering that in each campaign for SC2, the focal character is also (kind of, somehow) who is commanding the troops when you are in mission. It's an easy win for your established fanbase and gives some incentive for late comers to check out earlier entries

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Space elves, although the dark split is preeeeetty different between both universes

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

YaketySass posted:

I really like that after the Zergs being completely silent and seemingly feral antagonists in the first campaign, you're introduced to the Overmind who's speaking with these self-aggrandising biblical undertones. It's an unexpected contrast both to Terrans and to the basic Zergs, and a cool way of alluding to it having an actual agenda.

not to mention that the Overmind also is a pretty awesome DJ on the side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtUYEjU2Jow

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm sure it will be discussed more when we get to those later cutscenes but after all these years I've just looked at the cutscenes as creative license for events that lead into the briefing of your next mission (or in the case of an upcoming one, having fun with the results of the mission you just completed). Before Diablo 2 the cutscenes in Blizzard games never really seemed to be based in the reality of how the games actually played, the opening for Diablo is just spooky nonsense, the Warcraft 2 cutscene where an Alliance soldier takes down a zeppelin with a catapult. Don't get me wrong, those cutscenes are all really cool but they don't really progress the story the way Marius' conversation with TyraelBaal explains why the player character is always arriving just a few minutes too late, or how the pre-rendered cutscenes in Warcraft 3 are awesome capstones to each campaign (Arthas committing regicide, the destruction of Dalaran, the showdown against Mannoroth) and based entirely around the major plot events from said campaign.

Perhaps part of it is because of stuff like Starcraft going through huge changes but there not being enough time or resources to change things already completed, like the intro cutscene and the Protoss beam weapon that is never seen or spoken of ever again. It could also be that Blizzard, at the time, didn't have the resources to craft cutscenes that always made sense and so instead they made ones that were still cool and were tangentially related to what was happening. Again, could be due to lack of time from a production perspective or lack of a cohesive vision within the dev cycle. Blizzard wasn't the juggernaut we think of today while Starcraft was being made

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Haven't seen it happen in any tournaments but I've seen a couple replays where it was used, but sort of like the presence of nukes in multiplayer, it's more of a flex

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh my, how nice it is to have both a Warcraft and a Starcraft LP running at the same time.

Welcome back!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That one guy on YouTube that does challenge playthroughs of SC2 and WC3 for taking no losses still hasn't tackled Brood War, and I wonder if it's because the game wasn't really designed to minimize losses.

Of course if he has and I just haven't noticed those videos yet then I take it back. Brood War just seems like one of those games (and Warcraft 1&2) that actively expects you to take some losses no matter what. poo poo, the Terrans currently don't have a way to stop their Barracks units from dying

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Funny enough, there are some missions that you can speedrun and go deathless on quite easily, they just require really good skills. There's the one Protoss mission involving shuttles, and I think you could theoretically beat the PvP mission deathless since all you need to do is destroy one Nexus to trigger the objective.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

do you even see queens in the Terran campaign? I feel like they're a unit that you only learn about during the Zerg campaign, and then they show up in the Protoss campaign (and they sure do like to just come over and annoy you)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Does it give detection? I feel like that's the only value it would have for the AI

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That is the one nice thing about how the upgrade system works in SC2 campaign. Once you buy the shield for your marines, or choose which strain you are evolving your zerglings into, they are set for the rest of the campaign

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I find Melth does pretty good info-based LPs for his video series as well. It also helps that since they post them as threads here that means more information can be disseminated from others, or more in-depth explanations can be given for mechanics, similar as what OP is doing here

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think it gets explored more in fluff that came out after SC1 (and possibly even after BW) but a lot of the stories involving Zerg experimentation with Terrans seemed to show that Kerrigan was their first success, every other time they ended up with these useless drones (that aren't even useful like actual drones) so you may as well pack them up with a bunch of explosives to do something with them.

But again, seeing as that is all stuff that came after the game, that's just trying to address something they didn't necessarily think about when making the game. Also, the only real downside for this being a screenshot LP is that we miss out on the wonderful delivery Glynnis Talken does for Kerrigan. I'm sure there may have been some post-processing the sound engineers did to make her infested lines sound more "alien" but she put a lot of work in to differentiate between Terran Kerrigan and Zerg Kerrigan. Her being replaced with Tricia Helfer in SC2 was a pretty big downer, but then, so were a LOT of things Blizzard did to Kerrigan

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Laughing Zealot posted:

Glynnis Talken would have been preferable for continuing the role in 2 but I think Tricia Helfer does the role well and I wouldn't lay the characters failing in that game on her shoulders. Still very dickish considering all the other work Talken did for Blizzard.

Oh I'm not saying anything against Helfer's performance, she did very well, I meant it more as indicative of where Blizzard wanted to take the character. Also, I have to say that, given Kerrigan's redesign for Remake, I was actually quite surprised that they didn't change over Kerrigan's Brood War models to mix with her SC2 appearance. In OG Brood War all of her assets (from what I recall) have her wearing combat-style boots, even in the ~sexy~ model you click when you load up the Zerg BW campaign, and Blizzard didn't change that. I wonder if they paid attention to all the people talking about her "biological heels" for SC2 and decided to not mess with a good thing for the Remake

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Queens sort of became popular in very specific circumstances in the past year or so. I'm sure OP will give a better rundown but I've seen a few in some replays that will also infest CCs as more of a "come on, just gg already" move

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

regarding Queens in competitive play, they seem to be used about as often as another higher tech unit we will see shortly and for about the same reasons. Zerg (from what I've watched) seems to be the race that, on average, has to be offensive immediately or they will die, they take the longest to get their economy going and because of larva being the only way they can create new units, they will always be behind compared to Terran and Protoss. Even worse is that Overlords are both your scouting unit and your main supply, and since the tier 1 Terran unit can shoot up, you can easily be supply blocked if you're not paying attention. The Protoss solution (which we won't see until the expansion) is even meaner.

All that to say, by the time a match has gotten to the point where a Zerg player has the resources to use to build up queens they also have the issue of the unit not being useful until it has enough energy to spend. You are dedicating precious supply to units that can't be used immediately and you have to keep them hidden. I've watched matches end pretty quickly if the Zerg queens are spotted early and focused down, and the other unit I alluded too has similar issues of the Zerg needing to hide them until the moment is right. While you could say the same for the Science Vessel in that you have to research Irradiate, the vessel still gives a HUGE amount of vision, is fairly tanky, is a detector, AND has Defensive Matrix pre-installed, giving it far more utility compared to Queens. I kinda wonder if Queens would see more use if Ensnare and Parasite were switched around, their sight range isn't as good as Overlords and SVs, but having the ability to turn the tide in a huge battle in a similar way to SVs putting defense matrices would increase their utility.

Then again, Zerg does have another spellcaster coming. Maybe I'll revisit this speculation then

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I presume that the zerglings can use a computer because the Cerebrate controlling it can see what it sees, so the Cerebrate can tell it what keys to hit. Also, the zerglings clearly do have small enough appendages to, at the very least, chicken peck at the keyboard.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Certain missions in Brood War are agonizingly difficult if you do them the intended way (at least, they are to me, but I suck at RTS), but are surprisingly easy when you learn the cheese strategies

A certain Protoss mission immediately comes to mind

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Guardian play is sooooort of in the meta right now, but in the same way as queens are. A recent series that Artosis cast featured a fair amount of Guardian play, I think the player implementing them the most was ZeLot

That Jaedong quote is certainly something I hear casters reference a lot. The winning average for Z players using any Guardians isn't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

painedforever posted:

Is teching up worth it in competitive play? It seems as though you need to pick a unit, spam it, and win through lots and lots of clicking.

... I'll bet this is why I've never gotten anywhere in RTS games.

Teching up is extremely important in competitive play, especially at the top levels. It is also entirely possible to cheese an opponent and beat them with a 4pool build, or building a barracks/gateway close to the enemy's base and flooding them. Because early rushes like that either succeed or fail, you won't see much tech happening because the match will usually be over before any research can finish. If your cheese failed, you may as well tap out, because you sacrificed most of your critical economy building time by going offensive instead, your opponent has more resources coming in and they just killed most of your attack force, you're boned 95% of the time.

In the majority of matches outside of cheeses, your research actually plays a huge amount in the tempo of a match going forward, most especially for Zerg. Zerglings without their movement speed upgrade can easily be kited by marines and slaughtered with minimal losses on the marines, heck, even workers can kite slow zerglings. Marines and zealots can get by without tech, but their long term viability will be tied to upgrades, if you're Terran and you're going to do mech builds, you don't do anything for your marines outside of researching stims for the early game. Likewise, if you are just going to go bio, you build your factory and then move on to the starport and science facility, because vessels are way more important than tanks.

The flow of a match can actually sway quite a bit depending on when upgrades finish, in fact the more technical casters are usually quick to point out critical timings during matches and if players are behind or on time with them.