Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Half-wit posted:

The game doesn't try to hide that fact? One of the early dialogues indicates the leaders of the tribes were disciples of your Mooma.

It's pretty easy to miss a line of dialogue here and there in this game because a lot of it is totally irrelevant nonsense to be frank

Also, "disciples" makes you think that they are like adults or nearly so not the same age as you, At least I thought that. Which is strange because the adult characters you met as a child are still adults but all the little kids run the tribes now?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

:eyepop:
I want to see the one handed Crane Dance (where you fan your pistol) with sawblades

I'm sure you'll find one eventually. I might get a lot of cool stuff since I have pretty much only upgraded Luck since the beginning. I like it as a stat because it raises DPS by increasing crit chance but also gets you cool poo poo. And the combat is more thrilling if you have a small health pool, I think my vitality is like 36 at around level 20 while my Luck is well over 100 heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think one thing that hampers this game is the reliance on so much randomness in the loot.

The tribe weapons cannot be considered baseline because they are unique and get outclassed pretty quickly.

What should have happened was you got a base model of each weapon type that scales with your level and appropriate stat and then any bits and bobs you find can be bolted on for an additive effect.

It sucks finding a great modifier on a base part with otherwise horrific stats. Like, cool I got a rifle that shoots seeker missiles every four shots. Shame the ROF is 1 shot/5 seconds.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I may buy this once the current big patch hits consoles. I just wish they made use of the PS5's performance, I think they turned off 4k because of crashes so hopefully they fix that in one go. I kinda feel bad for wanting to buy a PS4 game when I am lucky enough to have a PS5 (and still have plenty backlog).

The same just looks bright, vibrant and interesting. I don't get that feel from watching Immortals Fenyx Rising gameplay, which I'd get otherwise to scratch my itch.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm sure the patch greatly improved the new player or experience pacing, but continuing new game+, and there's still far too many interruptions to gameplay. I think one of my beefs that makes the game feel far less immersive is that a cutscene is used for everything and nothing really happens in the world outside of combat while you are still controlling your character. It's very scripted, which most games are, but because nothing happens outside of cutscenes, it feels scripted, which most good games don't.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I was looking forward to this but it runs like absolute rear end on my tired old RX580 :smith:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Did anyone else struggle with the Pinpricker quest? You have to do what should be some fairly simple platforming to get to the top of a barn but it was easily the most aggravating thing I've done in this game. For some reason when you get near the roof of the barn your double jump just breaks and you end up immediately going into a glide even if you don't hit the button twice. I was constantly either over shooting a platform or falling short because of this. Then you have to zipline over to a silo which the game sometimes just decides not to let you do, and after that glide over to one of those tiny grab knobs on another silo which is no cakewalk itself. I spent half an hour on this stupid quest.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

J-Spot posted:

Did anyone else struggle with the Pinpricker quest? You have to do what should be some fairly simple platforming to get to the top of a barn but it was easily the most aggravating thing I've done in this game. For some reason when you get near the roof of the barn your double jump just breaks and you end up immediately going into a glide even if you don't hit the button twice. I was constantly either over shooting a platform or falling short because of this. Then you have to zipline over to a silo which the game sometimes just decides not to let you do, and after that glide over to one of those tiny grab knobs on another silo which is no cakewalk itself. I spent half an hour on this stupid quest.

Mild spoilers because I used a specific backpack to cheese it: When I came back to that barn for that quest I already had the copter backpack from the blimp questline, using that lets you jump directly from one silo platform to the other silo. I had no success doing it legit as a jump puzzle when I first found the barn though (prior to picking the quest up)

There is apparently another specific backpack that also affects how jumping works, but I've not got that one (or just never realised) so no idea where you get it from, or whether it would also help cheese that jump

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I think one thing that hampers this game is the reliance on so much randomness in the loot.

The tribe weapons cannot be considered baseline because they are unique and get outclassed pretty quickly.

What should have happened was you got a base model of each weapon type that scales with your level and appropriate stat and then any bits and bobs you find can be bolted on for an additive effect.

It sucks finding a great modifier on a base part with otherwise horrific stats. Like, cool I got a rifle that shoots seeker missiles every four shots. Shame the ROF is 1 shot/5 seconds.

Similarly, parts usually only really add further damage. The magazines do add bullets before reload and the stock adds accuracy but they should've leaned into that even more with a give and take between specific parts that isn't just raw damage added, and also between weapon parts of the same class.

NumptyScrub posted:

Mild spoilers because I used a specific backpack to cheese it: When I came back to that barn for that quest I already had the copter backpack from the blimp questline, using that lets you jump directly from one silo platform to the other silo. I had no success doing it legit as a jump puzzle when I first found the barn though (prior to picking the quest up)

There is apparently another specific backpack that also affects how jumping works, but I've not got that one (or just never realised) so no idea where you get it from, or whether it would also help cheese that jump

Yeah there's one that looks like a helicopter kind of and one that that looks like a suitcase you sit on that has some magic purple aura. I only saw them in videos though although next time I play I should be near the blimp quest.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I am mentally challenged on biomutations. I’m using mouse and keyboard and I bound it to right click. It just says hold it down to use the goo ability I picked (that does nothing when I try it).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nigulus Rex posted:

I am mentally challenged on biomutations. I’m using mouse and keyboard and I bound it to right click. It just says hold it down to use the goo ability I picked (that does nothing when I try it).

I'm not positive how it works on kb+m (get a controller ya freak!) but with the controller you have to squeeze the left trigger THEN press a button so it should be the same for you, you have to hold one thing down then press another thing, whatever you bound it to.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Play posted:

I'm not positive how it works on kb+m (get a controller ya freak!) but with the controller you have to squeeze the left trigger THEN press a button so it should be the same for you, you have to hold one thing down then press another thing, whatever you bound it to.

Fair point. I have a wireless 360 controller I just figured I'd try out m+kb first, but the aiming is pretty loose so I don't think it matters. Thanks!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
M+KB for life.

I have the ability toggle button bound to a mouse button and then you hold that and press one of the four actual buttons to activate whatever skill.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is there an easy way to reset skills or change class or anything? I ended up picking sentinel and investing some points (I'm only about 2 hours in) into 2h crush and now I don't really want to do that. I think i'm level 7 with all points but one into strength and I maxed str at 100 to start.

It seems like playing through the starting poo poo made me have a better idea of what I want (though..maybe not) but I feel locked in. Also the absolutely oppressive use of cutscenes and garbage language slows everything down. I think I saw a setting for the gibberish to remove so I just get to text I can read via subtitle faster.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nigulus Rex posted:

Is there an easy way to reset skills or change class or anything? I ended up picking sentinel and investing some points (I'm only about 2 hours in) into 2h crush and now I don't really want to do that. I think i'm level 7 with all points but one into strength and I maxed str at 100 to start.

It seems like playing through the starting poo poo made me have a better idea of what I want (though..maybe not) but I feel locked in. Also the absolutely oppressive use of cutscenes and garbage language slows everything down. I think I saw a setting for the gibberish to remove so I just get to text I can read via subtitle faster.

I haven't seen any skill reset stuff.

And I feel like all the cutscenes are skippable, and you can also skip each part of a conversation (the gibberish and the narrator) whenever you want. Not to mention the different settings, although I didn't bother changing them. I can get through the convos about as fast as I can read, although sometimes it's interesting to listen a bit.

If you want to make a NON melee based character, then yeah I'd probably start over. It'll take you a hell of a long time to change if you already went that heavy into strength. If you still want melee I'd probably just keep going but you'll figure it out.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Play posted:

I haven't seen any skill reset stuff.

And I feel like all the cutscenes are skippable, and you can also skip each part of a conversation (the gibberish and the narrator) whenever you want. Not to mention the different settings, although I didn't bother changing them. I can get through the convos about as fast as I can read, although sometimes it's interesting to listen a bit.

If you want to make a NON melee based character, then yeah I'd probably start over. It'll take you a hell of a long time to change if you already went that heavy into strength. If you still want melee I'd probably just keep going but you'll figure it out.

I'll play around with some more melee for a bit I guess.

I'm having an issue right now with targeting. Even if I'm facing one enemy, no others around, it seems like my attacks just..go wherever the gently caress they want. This is specifically special abilities and not the auto right clicks. I'm going to have to keep playing around with it but for instance the shoot-shoot-weapon throw ability has never hit anything because it just goes off at whatever angle.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There are definitely unskippable cutscenes, and they aren't even important to the plot.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'll play around with some more melee for a bit I guess.

I'm having an issue right now with targeting. Even if I'm facing one enemy, no others around, it seems like my attacks just..go wherever the gently caress they want. This is specifically special abilities and not the auto right clicks. I'm going to have to keep playing around with it but for instance the shoot-shoot-weapon throw ability has never hit anything because it just goes off at whatever angle.

A lot of those abilities are locked to “forward where your character is facing” and not at all related to the camera angle. Which means they are all useless if you’re not running directly at an enemy. Any kind of sideways or backwards movement and they’ll miss. Really those skills need the same targeting as your guns to make them useful.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
:siren:

Hello, bit of a warning! If you use the Mutation Spot in Bionucleus area 6D there is a chance that your elemental resistances will all reset to zero, regardless of biomutant points or armor add ons. If that happens, the only known way right now to fix it is to load a previous save.

Enjoying the game a lot other than that happening!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

carticket posted:

There are definitely unskippable cutscenes, and they aren't even important to the plot.

I mean that makes sense, because the game only sorta has a plot in the first place.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What are everyone's thoughts on melee versus ranged combat?

Maybe this is just something I have to chock up to game design but melee feels..anemic? Targeting one dude at a time even with a 2her with one decent combo and two shittier ones (I'm not really seeing a big list of others anywhere) as stuff shoots at me and I run in a circle seems to be somehow the worst of a beat 'em up and an arpg at once. The biomutation animations are great but do negligible damage or effects as a melee build.

With that said, I really like the dodge matrix animation, and I think the parry mechanic is really great with the ability to do unique things depending on monster size and weapon after you stun them after a parry. It's not all bad but unless I'm missing something the melee just doesn't 'feel' good to me.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nigulus Rex posted:

I barely use the melee in this game at all. The enemies all gang up on you to the point where I find it difficult to pull off the basic combo without getting interrupted. Ranged combos are much easier to pull off so it's easy to build up wang-fu over and over again. I've mainly been using an automatic rifle which you can get some pretty insane DPS on once you've got some decent parts.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

AirRaid posted:

A lot of those abilities are locked to “forward where your character is facing” and not at all related to the camera angle. Which means they are all useless if you’re not running directly at an enemy. Any kind of sideways or backwards movement and they’ll miss. Really those skills need the same targeting as your guns to make them useful.

Yeah if you're talking about the fire twice then press Y special move (to throw your weapon(s) you need to be relatively close, a couple meters away from the enemies maybe, and facing them.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Maybe this is just something I have to chock up to game design but melee feels..anemic? Targeting one dude at a time even with a 2her with one decent combo and two shittier ones (I'm not really seeing a big list of others anywhere) as stuff shoots at me and I run in a circle seems to be somehow the worst of a beat 'em up and an arpg at once. The biomutation animations are great but do negligible damage or effects as a melee build.

With that said, I really like the dodge matrix animation, and I think the parry mechanic is really great with the ability to do unique things depending on monster size and weapon after you stun them after a parry. It's not all bad but unless I'm missing something the melee just doesn't 'feel' good to me.

I think it's designed pretty well but just doesn't hit hard enough. I love parrying and launching guys into the air so I can have some time at them without getting mobbed. And super wung fu is really fun.

Issue is I didn't go for a lot of strength so mainly I only use melee now to build up special and/or finish off a straggler. The gun and powers are just too fast and effective otherwise.

I've been thinking of changing it to extreme difficulty or whatever the new one they added was. Hoping that gets combat to be a bit more fun and less of a cakewalk.

J-Spot posted:

I barely use the melee in this game at all. The enemies all gang up on you to the point where I find it difficult to pull off the basic combo without getting interrupted. Ranged combos are much easier to pull off so it's easy to build up wang-fu over and over again. I've mainly been using an automatic rifle which you can get some pretty insane DPS on once you've got some decent parts.

Agreed, I have a radiation-causing assault rifle and it just destroys everything. A clip can reliably remove nearly half of a small beast's health or a quarter of a large beast. Despite the fact that it is NOT the highest damage weapon OR the highest rarity/quality weapon I have, it's firing characteristics just make it OP I think. I hate the auto rifle's jump special though, a dumb flip that wastes ammo and doesn't always hit. it's so much less satisfying than the rifle or gun special.

Haven't experimented much with shotguns, I've got some good parts so I was thinking maybe I'd create something and see how it goes. They definitely have very high damage but I doubt they will be as effective as the autorifle.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

In my experience the game is at it's most fun when you're combining melee, ranged and some powers. With a good weapon you can chunk enemies in melee almost as well as you can gun them down and it's not too hard to hit multiple opponents at once unless you're using unarmed or crush. Hitting enemies in the air from parries is basically an auto-kill and you can knock people up using the ground slam and rock fist powers. Telekinesis can also let you throw enemies into oil/water/goop which is fun.

Using ranged 100% of the time is boring easy mode. It's not as if the game is hard enough that you need to max ranged asap to keep up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, you gotta mix things up.

I agree with lots of the criticisms but folks who get bored immediately with the combat probably played DMC and only used the sword.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Played quite a bit last night, which surprised me because I thought I was kinda getting over it. But the extreme difficulty mode, while still (amusingly and absurdly) very easy is just a LOT more fun. I can die in a few good hits so when you're in a tight space and the enemy has both ranged and melee it can get pretty tough. I actually died for the first time in quite a while.

I still think they should put another difficulty level on top of extreme though. Probably the worst thing about the game is its balance and how easy it gets once you start getting really powerful weapons. It gets checklist-y when there aren't gameplay challenges.

I was also marveling at how beautiful the game can be on occasion. Certain areas at certain times of day are just straight up gorgeous.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Been playing this on my lunch breaks all week and I feel like I’d enjoy it so much more if the story was just a little tighter. Completing quests feels too much like an MMO where you get a reward and some XP, but nothing feels like it meaningfully advances. I’m glad I bought it so the studio has a chance to maybe make another game, but still kind of a bummer.

Berbil Snatch
Nov 14, 2006
I admit the first hour of this game almost made me want to quit but now that I'm about 15 hours in I'm really enjoying it. Except for minor little annoyances... like why don't area objectives stay on the screen?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Been playing this on my lunch breaks all week and I feel like I’d enjoy it so much more if the story was just a little tighter. Completing quests feels too much like an MMO where you get a reward and some XP, but nothing feels like it meaningfully advances. I’m glad I bought it so the studio has a chance to maybe make another game, but still kind of a bummer.

I agree with that. The NPCs, despite looking different, always say very similar, kind of wishy washy self help nonsense at you that gets old after a while. I was downright shocked the first time one of them basically tried begging me to let him on the space ship to escape the earth, since it was almost the first hint of a true motivation from one of them. There is an extreme lack of stakes or intrigue in most of the quests, and in the story as a whole.

I can still enjoy myself, mainly just through getting to new locations and areas and looking around, I like the look of the game and the combat is actually pretty great if you set it on extreme and switch your attacks up to make it fun. Beyond that, it's impossible to not notice the bloat and sameyness of almost all of the quests and locations.

Furthermore, the balance is just broken. The first few hours of the game were the hardest by far and there has been very little challenge after that. Extreme mode helped but tbh it's still quite easy.

It's definitely a flawed game, not as flawed as a lot of people made out but it gets kind of weak as you go along.

Berbil Snatch posted:

I admit the first hour of this game almost made me want to quit but now that I'm about 15 hours in I'm really enjoying it. Except for minor little annoyances... like why don't area objectives stay on the screen?

You're accidentally pressing something on your controller while in map mode I believe, the triggers or sticks maybe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Big patch today.

Target lock on and mass-item scrapping!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Play posted:

I agree with that. The NPCs, despite looking different, always say very similar, kind of wishy washy self help nonsense at you that gets old after a while. I was downright shocked the first time one of them basically tried begging me to let him on the space ship to escape the earth, since it was almost the first hint of a true motivation from one of them. There is an extreme lack of stakes or intrigue in most of the quests, and in the story as a whole.

I can still enjoy myself, mainly just through getting to new locations and areas and looking around, I like the look of the game and the combat is actually pretty great if you set it on extreme and switch your attacks up to make it fun. Beyond that, it's impossible to not notice the bloat and sameyness of almost all of the quests and locations.

Furthermore, the balance is just broken. The first few hours of the game were the hardest by far and there has been very little challenge after that. Extreme mode helped but tbh it's still quite easy.

It's definitely a flawed game, not as flawed as a lot of people made out but it gets kind of weak as you go along.

The problem for me is that you don't have a proper story or even a setting really. It's just some reasonably habitable place with a big tree helping things along and you feel barely connected to any of it. None of the ruins have any stories associated with them beyond your grasshopper telling you someone did a pollution there back in the day and the tribes are just a set of uniforms, the only real detail to them comes from your first conversation with one of the NPC's. Even your personal story with Lupa is sparse and weird.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It's been a fun ride but I tend to agree that there's just not enough "there" there. I was going through all the sidequests methodically but I don't really believe any of them will really make any meaningful impact on the ending. I think it's time to just close out this first run and see whether this thing gets patched into being an entirely different game over time (not likely) or if I'll just look fondly back on it as a flawed, but fun 50 or so hours that served as a nice mission statement for what to do and what to avoid in a hopeful sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Qmass posted:

everyone is talking about stuff the game does wrong but something it does right that kind of blows me away

once you get past the tutorial and side with one of the two first tribes you got a quest to capture 4 local outposts. ok so I walk towards an outpost and when I get there and get a fast travel point (so I feel no downside to loving off on a distraction) I keep walking off towards some interesting looking random poo poo which breadcrumbs me to a ramshackle house with some randoms living in it. they tell me about this guy who lives in a house that moves who knows the meaning of life or something. that gives me a sidequest to find this mysterious guy with wisdom. so I keep going way the gently caress out to this guy. I find his house and he tells me to go get some mutant carrot. the carrot is in a radioactive zone and when I get there the game adds a sidequest to find a detector for finding a rad suit. so I go way the gently caress off, again, where ive never been and find this radar dish ping thing. when I finally get there I find a door I can't open without upgrading my krowbar but it gives me a sidequest telling me where I can do that. so I go there and get another quest which is a collectathon deal - climb these places for me. I go do those so I can upgrade my krowbar, so I can appease my need to loot this door, so I can do the detector to find the rad suit. After doing all that and going back to get the carrot I can finally complete the moving house guys request and the game gives a really loving cool in game reward that isn't loot but actually made all that feel worth it.

anyway - im now 12hrs into the game and I still haven't done any of the outposts I was meant to have done and I keep finding things which send me around but none of it follows a set path. none of it was one village with a million ! marks that lead to exhaustion while collecting bear asses... and all this time the scenery changes dramatically and im getting XP and getting fat loot and leveling up and unlocking toys and none of it feels arduous or annoying.

I really feel like that is an achievement for an RPG.

^^ this
I just got this game for myself (I play it on PS5) for Dutch Santa Clause and it's a LOT of fun. I've put like 6 hours into it so far, but the world looks fantastic and this game really scratches my "explore" and "find loot chest" itch. It's also fun putting some wonky stuff together to build your own shotgun. Loving it so far, will come back with a better review later.